Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1950 Dodge Coronet hearse

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

came across this while googling..is it real or photoshopped?
    BergadanaSeatMalaga1.jpg

Some now deceased irish hearses..
    -PIC FAIL- see below.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭3nero

Pics not working
    you have to be signed into the bangers to see them:mad:

I nearly bought an old cortina hearse about 15 years ago i had cash in hand and everything but the guy wouldn't sell it to me because i worked for a circus, he said it was disrespectfull :rolleyes:
    when i told a friend about she said i was crazy and "imagine how many people have died in it" so i pointed out she was living in a converted ambulance and way more people have died in her camper than have ever died in a hearse, she didn't get it :rolleyes:

and that reminds me, i spotted a funky looking green hearse in tullamore last year, i have a pic somewhere, i go looking for it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Some I came across.............

Found it:D

this is the only pic i got of it in traffic

002.jpg

I'd drive that no problem :cool:

EDIT: looks like i saw it in Athy not tullamore:o

• Advertisement

3nero wrote: »
    Pics not working

I nearly bought an old cortina hearse about 15 years ago i had cash in hand and everything but the guy wouldn't sell it to me because i worked for a circus, he said it was disrespectfull :rolleyes:
    when i told a friend about she said i was crazy and "imagine how many people have died in it" so i pointed out she was living in a converted ambulance and way more people have died in her camper than have ever died in a hearse, she didn't get it :rolleyes:

and that reminds me, i spotted a funky looking green hearse in tullamore last year, i have a pic somewhere, i go looking for it now.

I had a similar problem when I went to buy my Daimler Majestic hearse, the guy selling it didn't want to sell it to me because he was convinced I wanted it to banger race it. I had to get a friend of mine who knew him to buy it from him for me.

3nero wrote: »
    Pics not working

Ill try and sort the pic problem..

And thats a funny story about the camper,i doubt anyone has ever died in a hearse!

Right,sorry about that..hopefully this will work,size might be a bit small.
    (pics by Niall Hogan)
    Vauxhall Cresta,from the early 90s apparently,somewhere in west cork
    crestahearse.jpg

And a Crown hearse,and a Wolseley 6/110,the 6/110 was definatly bangered,and id bet the Crown went the same way.
    crown6110.jpg

I have posted pics of the 6/110 before.

junkyard wrote: »
    Some I came across.............
    attachment.php?attachmentid=88429&d=1250630942
    Whats the story behind this one?Hearses seem to be kept in sheds after their usefull life up in Donegal!

The Opel is one of the ones in McCools funeral home and here's what became of the Crown and the Wolseley.................:(

• Advertisement

Ill try and sort the pic problem..

And thats a funny story about the camper,i doubt anyone has ever died in a hearse!

Not unless the driver had a heartattack while on duty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Kevin_Herron

Heres a few Mopar hearses.

The '50 Dodge and '51 Chrysler were in the same shed. The Dodge was half cut into a pick the last I heard and the Chrysler was originally a Guinness car before it was converted into a hearse.

The other '51 Chrysler KI 4661 is presumed scrapped.

The other car '52 Plymouth is also presumed scrapped- photographed in Athy.

How old are those pics kevin?

I'd say late Eighties/early nineties to all photographs.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MorrisCooper

O'Flaherty's Undertakers in Galway had a Dodge Coronet hearse. They were also BMC, Peugeot, and Datsun dealers. I acquired a load of spare parts that were part of their spare parts inventory many years ago. I sold some Coronet rear lenses in their original boxes back to a collector in the US via Ebay. Still have a few bits left.

mamakevf wrote: »
    Some pics of a local Dodge hearse, supposedly 1948
    R001387020Small.jpg
    PICT0347.jpg
    PICT0339.jpg
    Another thread on this here...
    http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=41411&highlight=undertakers+donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

Place has now supposedly been boarded up.
    Too many visitors it seems

Some more from ireland..
    mk2granadahearse.jpg

ZEPHYRHEARSE.jpg

chevroletbiscaynehearse.jpg

ZBREGHEARSE.jpg

ZBREGHEARSE2.jpg

hearse48.jpg

And a MK3 Zody..
    mk3zodiachearse.jpg

I'm not sure whatever became of CAI 911, there were only 14 of those '62 Chevrolets here.

The ZB reg'd Ford in Rigneys is there a long time. Nice to see one has survived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MorrisCooper

I remember several American hearses languishing behind a pub/undertaker in Abbeyknockmoy in Co. Galway. There were also VW minibuses, a '50s Sunbeam Rapier, and old Mercs. Probably long since cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DarenO

a selection of hearses i've taken photos of over the last twenty odd years

two more

two more

Kevin Herron as resident Irish registered American cars expert, do you know the fate of the attached American hearse, i also have it on film from a 'reeling in the years' type program from years ago

also out of interest, there was a 59 Chevy Biscayne/Impala (not a hearse) in a house outside Glenageary Dart station did that survive

Regards
    Darren

Very interesting photo of the Daimler Majestic hearse there DarenO, I've got the Limo version of the hearse and its reg number is ZBI388, they must have been brought in at the same time, it's a 1981 rereg on the tax book anyway.

I'm not sure whatever became of CAI 911, there were only 14 of those '62 Chevrolets here.
    That particular one was banger raced in england apparently.Id say the MK2 Granada and the Zephyr were raced too.

This is a youtube clip(without sound)of the hearses raced in Warneton raceway in belgium between 03 and 08.

DarenO wrote: »
    two more

Kevin Herron as resident Irish registered American cars expert, do you know the fate of the attached American hearse, i also have it on film from a 'reeling in the years' type program from years ago

also out of interest, there was a 59 Chevy Biscayne/Impala (not a hearse) in a house outside Glenageary Dart station did that survive

Regards
    Darren

Its a '55 Plymouth and to the best of my knowledge has not survived.

With regards to the '59 Chevrolet, that car belonged to a Judge, O'Connor was his name. You would often see the car parked outside the Four Courts.
    He had two '59s and a '60.
    '59 was API 795 and the '60 was KZC664.
    The '60 is rotting away in a field in Tipperary and the '59 ended up in Killarney at the motor museum. It was sold privately when the museum closed down.

You need to write a book Kevin,your knowledge of american motors over here is amazing.

Not sure about a book!

I'm fairly sure that Majestic Major hearse is living in Carlow, owned by an insurance broker that also owns a saloon.

The Mk2 beside is also alive and well- AAI900.

• Advertisement

Not sure about a book!

I'm fairly sure that Majestic Major hearse is living in Carlow, owned by an insurance broker that also owns a saloon.

Thanks Kevin, from the looks of it it looks like a Majestic rather than a Majestic Major, it's got spot lights where the vents with the "V" should be indicating that it may only be a 3.8 straight six rather than the 4.5 V8. It seems to be missing the parking lights over the headlamps too. There's a very similar hearse featured in the Jaguar/ Daimler book by Robert Hughes, I wonder if it's the same one?

Advertisement