Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sub 3 Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dutchie wrote: »
    Anybody care to advise what session they are doing tomorrow.

My program says 6 miles easy (too easy imo)
    I'm thinking between 8-10 close to PMP
    A coach i was talking to earlier reckons 12miles with 6@pmp.

thanks.
    12 miles with 6@PMP sounds like a decent mid-week session, 1.5 weeks out from your goal. P&D would typically have you doing 3 x 1 Mile @5k pace, with 3-5 mins rest. Personally, I'll be doing 3 x 2 Miles at tempo (11 miles in total), but might just put it off until Thursday, with the crazy weather that is predicted tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Dutchie

12 miles with 6@PMP sounds like a decent mid-week session, 1.5 weeks out from your goal. P&D would typically have you doing 3 x 1 Mile @5k pace, with 3-5 mins rest. Personally, I'll be doing 3 x 2 Miles at tempo (11 miles in total), but might just put it off until Thursday, with the crazy weather that is predicted tomorrow.

Call me soft but 12m with 6@pmp in the lashing rain at 5.30am doesn't sound that appealing to me.

I suppose I'll have to HTFU!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I'd be in the 10-12 with 6-8 MP camp. HTFU and do it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭robbicosta

Are you training with a club over here? Who is your mate that ran 2.49? He must have been on the 2.50 pace bus with me for the first half?

He's a mate who ran sub 3 a couple of years back. Has consistently improved since with a 2:55 and a 2:53 recently. He went to Melbourne targeting sub 2:50 and raced it perfectly. Splits were:
    10km - 40:02
    10k to 20k - 40:05
    20k to 30k - 39:50
    30k to 40k - 40:31

Congrats on your marathon by the way.

Are you training with a club over here? Who is your mate that ran 2.49? He must have been on the 2.50 pace bus with me for the first half?

I used to train with Rathfarnham so I might catch up with them for a few pre marathon runs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

robbicosta wrote: »
    I used to train with Rathfarnham so I might catch up with them for a few pre marathon runs.

I meant a Melbourne club. Pretty much seeing if you can be recruited!

I meant a Melbourne club. Pretty much seeing if you can be recruited!

Sorry, was only after I read your race report that I realised you were Melbourne based. I'm Sydney based but often in Melbourne with work. When there I usually just run at the Tan.

I am a member of Sydney Striders but do most of my training with the HuRT Squad, a group of guys and some girls who train at lunch in the city. We had 10 runners at Melbourne with times from 2:33 to 2:59. http://hurtsquad.com/

Just wondering if everyone has fallen off the edge of a cliff, or have the nerves really set in at this stage? This thread has been really quiet lately.

I hope everyone plans are going well with no last minute niggles or injuries.
    Only slight niggle here is slight tight right calf. I'm stretching, foam rolling and massaging so it should be right come Monday.

Weather looks favorable too; 9deg, no rain and 20 km/h winds.

Good luck everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Slight tickle in the lungs, keeping warm with plenty of rest and honey and lemon drinks. Few easy runs this week too. Cant wait for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Ya just watching the clock count down this week, it's kind of weird having so much time in the evenings :o slight niggles in right calf too but just back from a lunchtime 5 miler and it's feeling pretty good, roll on Monday!!

• Advertisement

What a day yesterday. I was too tired to think yesterday never-mind type.

Last week was a nightmare, i hated the taper and felt i wanted to push on and down more miles. I ran max four miles everyday except Friday, when i rested.

After 4 hours sleep I woke at 5 am on Monday morning, got a light breakfast into me and headed for town.
    We arrived at the start area at 8 am and while i queued for the toilets my friend dropped my bag off.

I jumped the barrier and got in behind the 3 hour pacers as planned and turned on my Garmin, then the warning sign came on- LOW BATTERy NOOOOOOOOOO!
    I am anal about my Garmin and had it powered up to 100% the night before. I panicked and vaulted the fence ran all the way down to bag drop trying to find my bag, as i had brought a spare Garmin. Eventually found the bag and then remembered id left the spare Garmin in the CAR NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Next thing i hear the national anthem being sung and I'm still outside parliament buildings. I sprinted up past people to the line vaulted the barrier and looked at my fading Garmin- 173bpm and the bloody race hadn't even started, with that the Garmin took its last breath and went dead.

9.00am the gun goes. I jumped in behind the pacers and couldn't get over how crowded the first 3-45 miles felt. Everybody jostling for position and I could feel I was working harder than usual.

By the time we reached the park I began to relax. The 3 hour group was still huge at this stage.

A friend of mine gave me his watch after chapelizod but at that stage it was useless as i couldn't work out what pace I was at.

Up to half way I was feeling comfortable the pacers had us about 40 seconds ahead of schedule.I had taken a gel and water and was starting to get stomach cramp at about mile 14.

At mile 18 the race started to get hard. I was concentrating hard on technique and breathing and trying to relax. The 3 hour paced group were fantastic sharing gels and bottles.

Roebook road was torture. I was digging so deep just trying to keep pace; good cop/ bad cop were having a fight in my head. Bad cop was saying 'you've still over 6miles to do' Good cop was saying 'remember all the hard miles you put at 5.30am/6am they are going to stand to you now'.
    I was thinking about the posts on this forum- the main one was being able to look at myself in the mirror on Tuesday morning and say "i ran a sub 3 hour marathon"
    Coming down by RTE i just wanted to stop there and then, I'd had enough i could feel blood in my sock, my thighs were aching and there was still over 3 miles to go.

The worst feeling was digging in and not going any faster. Guys were starting to fall off big time at this stage. I just kept focusing on my technique and not allowing the pacer to get a yard on me. Word came back as we passed the RDS that we were 40 seconds ahead of schedule. This gave me the the boost I needed. "Just hang in there ya B*****d."

We came up Pearce st and the amount of runners we passed that looked like they had been taken out by a sniper was unreal.

Up Nassau st I was sprinting and being passed at the same time. I couldn't remember how far up Merrion sq the line was, then finally i saw the clock- 2.59.xx but couldn't make out the seconds I was in a daze, friends said they were shouting my name-I never heard them.

The line finally came to me

I looked in the mirror this morning and said " you are a sub 3 hour Marathon runner"

Thank you one and all on this thread for all the help, answers, advice and pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Well done Dutchie, cool report!

One thing I don't understand, if you were planning to go all the way with pacers, why the obsession with Garmin?

Itziger wrote: »
    Well done Dutchie, cool report!

One thing I don't understand, if you were planning to go all the way with pacers, why the obsession with Garmin?

In a word OCD (if that is a word!)
    I have trained every yard for this marathon on my own. The only insight into my pace, distance, elevation and heart rate was my trusty Garmin 310xt which gave me the two fingers on Monday morning!

I think in hindsight it was a blessing in disguise as I would have really started to get worried about my HR being so high so early on in the race.

It was/is amazing how hard you can push yourself when you have a goal to reach.

I really thought sub 3 would be easier than it was as I had run a 81.30 half marathon.
    Also I didn't feel 'on' in the race itself, if that make sense. There was no spark to my running.

Thankfully its finished now and next time I'll enjoy the experience more.

Well folks, it all came down to one day, and what a day it was. I'm walking like an injured penguin today and while it's fresh in my mind, here's my report. (sorry it got long!!) :rolleyes:

Like dutchie above, I found last week quite difficult, between paranoia of not doing enough training, doubting my abilities and simply counting down that clock. My debut marathon journey kicked off with a sub 3:30 goal back in July, which was revised to sub 3:15 and then finally to a sub 3:00 after I had a good performance in the half, so the doubt was definitely there. I was so glad when that alarm went off Monday morning at 6:30, the time had finally arrived, sh*t!. Had my bowl of porridge and a pint of water and popped on the headphones for some relaxing music as I pottered around getting ready, ample anti-chaffing cream was applied.

I got a lift into city center from my sister at about 8, was feeling quite relaxed and while it was quite chilly, I thought the conditions were ideal for the race, almost no breeze. In town, the atmosphere was tense and at the same time there was an air of excitement building as we all know this is the culmination of a lot of hard work and sacrifice. The rewards are there for the taking today, but anything can happen. On Nassau street there were drummers outside spar and looking at everybody's faces trudging along with the dooming nature of the drumming, it looked as if we were all heading off to the guillotine.

After dropping off the bag off, horsing a banana, emptying the bladder and warming up, it was time to take our places. Dropped in just behind the sub 3 guys with my brother in law who who nailed it with a 2:54. It was a long long 10 minutes of waiting, but it gave me time to relax and focus, I also needed to pee again but I figured that was nerves :) Being my first marathon, I was venturing into the unknown but I was excited.

The gun went off and there indeed was a lot of jostling and shoving in the first quarter of a mile, there were also a lot of slow runners who shouldn't have been in that group, it's to be expected at every race but I just don't understand it. I got into a decent rhythm heading up O'Connell street and the pacers were well in sight, this was a much bigger group than I anticipated but I was comfortably behind them and I cruised along nicely enjoying the first few miles, soaking up the brilliant atmosphere and support.

Into the Phoenix Park where I had spent most of my time training and it was so enjoyable I think I even cracked a smile, there was a certain air of comfort or serenity throughout that brief spell. So much support already I couldn't believe it, the crowds were just unbelievable all day. I noticed we were probably a bit ahead of schedule as I tucked in behind the pacers, the group still massive but cruising along nicely. I passed the 10k mark, took a gel and a drop of water and cracked on out the gate and towards Chapelizod. There was a great buzz in the group with plenty of banter but I knew the race hadn't even begun yet, this was very early days.

I passed my sister at 10 miles in Kilmainham after a slight uphill on St.Lawrences and got a nice bit of support, still comfortably sticking with the group and seemed to be bang on target with the timing. At 12 miles I popped another gel and a drop of water as the drag up towards crumlin seemed to silence a lot of the group. The camaraderie was tangible though, people offering water and gels, keeping the motivation up, it was fantastic to be a part of it. I noticed a slight increase in effort now and as I passed the halfway in 1:29:30, was still feeling good overall, knowing there was a big test nearing.

I was completely focussed on my form, pace and breathing throughout the next 5 or 6 miles and geographically I don’t recall much of Crumlin/Templeogue/Rathgar, though the support was again outstanding. I alternated between moments of pure running nirvana where I felt completely in control, to moment of doubt as the legs would feel heavy or perceived effort felt forced.

I took another gel at 18m and then coming out of Miltown I knew thing were now getting serious. Once I got up that hill before the turn onto Clonskeagh road, the next mental test was Roebuck hill, and I kept telling myself it's just a hill attached to a 20 mile mark, an arbitrary number and as for this "wall" people talk of, it didn't exist for me, I had done the training, so I'm hitting no wall today!

Before the turn onto Roebuck rd., I saw a couple of friends who gave me a gel and a cheer so I carried it with me planning on taking it after the little hill up ahead. I’m still within 10-15 feet of the pacers and I looked around as we all lumbered up the gradual incline, we were like lambs to the slaughter. There was big sense of dread building (the big sign “Heartbreak hill” didn’t help) but when it came, it was over before I knew it and I was still feeling ok, not great but ok.

While the size of the group was now diminishing, one thing that was increasing was the amount of groans and gasps around me, myself included! We’re just 4 miles off now, I've kept the pace until now there’s no reason why I can’t keep going...right? I knew my parents were going to be outside Bewelys which is about 23.5 miles so that was another minor goal I created, I’ll get there and then just under 3 miles to go. I did get there, missed them and that’s when the painful darts in the back of my hamstrings hit, first left then right straight after. Crap. game over I thought. I straightened up the legs going past the RDS, still keeping pace but I was so close to the edge. I was sure I was going to have to pull up any second and negative thoughts consumed me - "I'll be happy with 3:10" etc, explaining to people where and when I blew up and how I’d give it a better shot next time.

I can’t really recall much of the next few miles, a lot of it a blur, it was the deepest I have ever had to dig during a race, the pain was bad, the hamstrings still felt like going any second and I was hanging on for dear life. Form was out the window, the head was down and I'm sure I looked like a very sick rag-doll trying to run but I was keeping up the pace. I glanced up occasionally making sure that pacer didn't go too far, the group really spreading out now. I noticed the 2nd pacer wasn't looking the best either and dropping off a bit, I passed him and I'm not sure if he got in under the 3 mark in the end. Coming along Shelbourne road street I accidentally clipped a guy in front of me as I moved to the side, he almost went crashing, I tapped him on the back and apologised and he made a faint sign of acknowledgement, phew! I still get butterflies thinking I could have ended his race.

To the grand canal bridge, this was the last obstacle and it’s straight for home, I wondered would my legs give up here but no! I'm over it and still going. I looked at my watch and it says 2:48, 10 minutes or so more of this?! The remaining 3hr pacer looks like he’s sprinting to me and I'm trying my hardest to keep up, I know we are so close, do not give up now.

I don’t know where that 10 minutes or so went because before I knew it, I was coming around the corner of college green I'm still with them. I'm pushing it to the limit I feel like I'm sprinting my hardest, still waiting for the legs to freeze up, and they’re hinting at it. The crowd were roaring like wild, it really did push me that last bit, it was hair on the back of the neck stuff. I was on the home straight, I was passing people, people were passing me but I didn't care, this was about me versus myself. I looked at the watch and I saw it tick over to 2:59 exactly and then the finish balloon came into sight. It was the first time that day the sub 3 became a real possibility. One last big push and I had done it, I crossed at 2:59:32 - incredible feeling, hugs and congratulations all around in the group and a big big thank you to those pacers who did a fantastic job. What a feeling and what an amazing job by the organizers, stewards, the supporting crowds and every runner that took part. What a wonderful day and I will most definitely be back for more.

Thanks also to all the brilliant support and advice on this thread everyone, legends.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭iancairns

jebuz wrote: »
    Well folks, it all came down to one day, and what a day it was. I'm walking like an injured penguin today and while it's fresh in my mind, here's my report. (sorry it got long!!) :rolleyes:

Like dutchie above, I found last week quite difficult, between paranoia of not doing enough training, doubting my abilities and simply counting down that clock. My debut marathon journey kicked off with a sub 3:30 goal back in July, which was revised to sub 3:15 and then finally to a sub 3:00 after I had a good performance in the half, so the doubt was definitely there. I was so glad when that alarm went off Monday morning at 6:30, the time had finally arrived, sh*t!. Had my bowl of porridge and a pint of water and popped on the headphones for some relaxing music as I pottered around getting ready, ample anti-chaffing cream was applied.

I got a lift into city center from my sister at about 8, was feeling quite relaxed and while it was quite chilly, I thought the conditions were ideal for the race, almost no breeze. In town, the atmosphere was tense and at the same time there was an air of excitement building as we all know this is the culmination of a lot of hard work and sacrifice. The rewards are there for the taking today, but anything can happen. On Nassau street there were drummers outside spar and looking at everybody's faces trudging along with the dooming nature of the drumming, it looked as if we were all heading off to the guillotine.

After dropping off the bag off, horsing a banana, emptying the bladder and warming up, it was time to take our places. Dropped in just behind the sub 3 guys with my brother in law who who nailed it with a 2:54. It was a long long 10 minutes of waiting, but it gave me time to relax and focus, I also needed to pee again but I figured that was nerves :) Being my first marathon, I was venturing into the unknown but I was excited.

The gun went off and there indeed was a lot of jostling and shoving in the first quarter of a mile, there were also a lot of slow runners who shouldn't have been in that group, it's to be expected at every race but I just don't understand it. I got into a decent rhythm heading up O'Connell street and the pacers were well in sight, this was a much bigger group than I anticipated but I was comfortably behind them and I cruised along nicely enjoying the first few miles, soaking up the brilliant atmosphere and support.

Into the Phoenix Park where I had spent most of my time training and it was so enjoyable I think I even cracked a smile, there was a certain air of comfort or serenity throughout that brief spell. So much support already I couldn't believe it, the crowds were just unbelievable all day. I noticed we were probably a bit ahead of schedule as I tucked in behind the pacers, the group still massive but cruising along nicely. I passed the 10k mark, took a gel and a drop of water and cracked on out the gate and towards Chapelizod. There was a great buzz in the group with plenty of banter but I knew the race hadn't even begun yet, this was very early days.

I passed my sister at 10 miles in Kilmainham after a slight uphill on St.Lawrences and got a nice bit of support, still comfortably sticking with the group and seemed to be bang on target with the timing. At 12 miles I popped another gel and a drop of water as the drag up towards crumlin seemed to silence a lot of the group. The camaraderie was tangible though, people offering water and gels, keeping the motivation up, it was fantastic to be a part of it. I noticed a slight increase in effort now and as I passed the halfway in 1:29:30, was still feeling good overall, knowing there was a big test nearing.

I was completely focussed on my form, pace and breathing throughout the next 5 or 6 miles and geographically I don’t recall much of Crumlin/Templeogue/Rathgar, though the support was again outstanding. I alternated between moments of pure running nirvana where I felt completely in control, to moment of doubt as the legs would feel heavy or perceived effort felt forced.

I took another gel at 18m and then coming out of Miltown I knew thing were now getting serious. Once I got up that hill before the turn onto Clonskeagh road, the next mental test was Roebuck hill, and I kept telling myself it's just a hill attached to a 20 mile mark, an arbitrary number and as for this "wall" people talk of, it didn't exist for me, I had done the training, so I'm hitting no wall today!

Before the turn onto Roebuck rd., I saw a couple of friends who gave me a gel and a cheer so I carried it with me planning on taking it after the little hill up ahead. I’m still within 10-15 feet of the pacers and I looked around as we all lumbered up the gradual incline, we were like lambs to the slaughter. There was big sense of dread building (the big sign “Heartbreak hill” didn’t help) but when it came, it was over before I knew it and I was still feeling ok, not great but ok.

While the size of the group was now diminishing, one thing that was increasing was the amount of groans and gasps around me, myself included! We’re just 4 miles off now, I've kept the pace until now there’s no reason why I can’t keep going...right? I knew my parents were going to be outside Bewelys which is about 23.5 miles so that was another minor goal I created, I’ll get there and then just under 3 miles to go. I did get there, missed them and that’s when the painful darts in the back of my hamstrings hit, first left then right straight after. Crap. game over I thought. I straightened up the legs going past the RDS, still keeping pace but I was so close to the edge. I was sure I was going to have to pull up any second and negative thoughts consumed me - "I'll be happy with 3:10" etc, explaining to people where and when I blew up and how I’d give it a better shot next time.

I can’t really recall much of the next few miles, a lot of it a blur, it was the deepest I have ever had to dig during a race, the pain was bad, the hamstrings still felt like going any second and I was hanging on for dear life. Form was out the window, the head was down and I'm sure I looked like a very sick rag-doll trying to run but I was keeping up the pace. I glanced up occasionally making sure that pacer didn't go too far, the group really spreading out now. I noticed the 2nd pacer wasn't looking the best either and dropping off a bit, I passed him and I'm not sure if he got in under the 3 mark in the end. Coming along Shelbourne road street I accidentally clipped a guy in front of me as I moved to the side, he almost went crashing, I tapped him on the back and apologised and he made a faint sign of acknowledgement, phew! I still get butterflies thinking I could have ended his race.

To the grand canal bridge, this was the last obstacle and it’s straight for home, I wondered would my legs give up here but no! I'm over it and still going. I looked at my watch and it says 2:48, 10 minutes or so more of this?! The remaining 3hr pacer looks like he’s sprinting to me and I'm trying my hardest to keep up, I know we are so close, do not give up now.

I don’t know where that 10 minutes or so went because before I knew it, I was coming around the corner of college green I'm still with them. I'm pushing it to the limit I feel like I'm sprinting my hardest, still waiting for the legs to freeze up, and they’re hinting at it. The crowd were roaring like wild, it really did push me that last bit, it was hair on the back of the neck stuff. I was on the home straight, I was passing people, people were passing me but I didn't care, this was about me versus myself. I looked at the watch and I saw it tick over to 2:59 exactly and then the finish balloon came into sight. It was the first time that day the sub 3 became a real possibility. One last big push and I had done it, I crossed at 2:59:32 - incredible feeling, hugs and congratulations all around in the group and a big big thank you to those pacers who did a fantastic job. What a feeling and what an amazing job by the organizers, stewards, the supporting crowds and every runner that took part. What a wonderful day and I will most definitely be back for more.

Thanks also to all the brilliant support and advice on this thread everyone, legends.

Great review of day Jebuz and fantastic result considering you had revised down from 3:30 to hoping to break 3hrs!

I've been running for 10months and originally was hoping to break 4 but like yourself I revised to 3:30.

Ended up doing 3:31, I think I could have broken 3:30 but was a bit of a softy!

My question is how much work did it take you to revise from 3:30 to breaking 3!!

If I'm at 3:30 now what do I do to get to 3?

I ran the half in Phoenix Park in 1:34 and felt great doing that.

I'm not gonna rest up now, time to set targets for rest of year.

Would love to know what you did to break 3hrs.

Well done again, loved reading your review of day!

iancairns wrote: »
    Great review of day Jebuz and fantastic result considering you had revised down from 3:30 to hoping to break 3hrs!

I've been running for 10months and originally was hoping to break 4 but like yourself I revised to 3:30.

Ended up doing 3:31, I think I could have broken 3:30 but was a bit of a softy!

My question is how much work did it take you to revise from 3:30 to breaking 3!!

If I'm at 3:30 now what do I do to get to 3?

I ran the half in Phoenix Park in 1:34 and felt great doing that.

I'm not gonna rest up now, time to set targets for rest of year.

Would love to know what you did to break 3hrs.

Well done again, loved reading your review of day!

Hi Ian, thanks a lot and really well done yourself, that's fantastic coming from 4 down to 3.31! great racing.

I've been running just under 2 years and had a decent base coming into the start of training with about 20m a week, so sub 3:30 seemed like a reasonable goal. I was working off a plan I got off the net that was targeting 3:15-3:30. When I decided to go for the sub 3 after the half (1:24), I knew both the milage and intensity had to increase. I didn't radically change the plan in terms of the frequency or type of exercice (interval, tempo, easy etc) but rather increased the distances, for example an easy 7 mile on a wednesday I would increase to a 10 mile. I'm sure people would respond differently to such adjustments mid training but luckily for me I adopted quite quickly and I had 3 excellent weeks of 55m, 62m and 59m after the half. The real key wasn't increasing the distance though, it was the 20m+ runs with marathon pace miles included that made the difference. I also made sure none of my easy runs exceeded 8min miles, so overall I training at a faster pace.

You might see some of the advice in this thread when I said I had thought about going sub 3 a few months ago, Krusty advised to do my next few long runs with at least 10m MP miles and as I said that right there was the difference. Someone also suggested a 10k 2 weeks out and that gave me a massive boost knowing all the signs were pointing towards a possible sub 3.

If I look back, the best session I had was a 25m run on the route of the course with 10-12m @ MP in the latter stages. I then had the feeling in my legs of running at pace that far into a run and though it was a lot tougher on race day, it wasn't completely new to me.

I didn't do anything super-human to break it, first time or not. I sacrificed a lot of weekends in, ate well and put in 6 days training a week, that's something anybody can do. I think most of all I never kidded myself by cutting sessions short or skipping because I didn't feel like it. There were plenty of nights I didn't want to go out but you can't expect to hit your goals if you don't put in the time or effort. Mentally, my approach was that sub 3 is just a barrier we've manufactured as runners, it's just a number at the end of the day and if I don't break it it's really not the end of the world, there'll be plenty more opportunities.

That's what worked for me and might not work for everyone but hey that's what this forum is for :) but best of luck in your next effort and if you're hitting a 3:31 marathon after 10 months, you'll be making minced meat of a sub 3 before you know it. You have a great base now so get yourself a good sub 3 plan, put in the work 100% and that's all there is to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

This is a long post but this thread has been a huge help to me in breaking the 3hr barrier so in the spirit of putting something back in to the system here’s what I’ve learnt and what worked for me as I’ve brought my marathon time down.

(BTW, Rolex , I’m not sure if you knew I was on here but you will after a few more lines – I only copped who you were a few weeks ago!)

Background / Details
    Age – 48
    Height – 5’10’’
    Weight – 64 to 66 kg

Started running in 2009 and have the following marathon history:
    DCM 2009 – 3:25:59 – clueless, went off too fast and died to 10 minute miles by the end

Rotterdam 2010 – 3:14:27 – Went off a lot slower and held a steady pace all the way with a 2 minute negative split

Rotterdam 2011 – 3:08:51 – Steady pace all the way with a 1:05 negative split

DCM 2011 – 3:02:38 – Dream run with a 2:20 negative split – very fast last 6 miles

Boston 2-12 – 3:14:27 - 34 degrees Celsius on race day ruined everyone’s target time. Still came well up the field.

DCM 2012 – 2:58:24!!
    – Steady 6:4X pace most of the way. Went off too fast trying to stay with the 3:00 pacers (6:33 pace) and paid for it a bit in not being able to attack the last 5. 40 sec negative split

I usually do triathlons through May June and into July. Stuck at it the whole summer a few years ago and did the Lost Sheep to end the season. Other than that I enter the odd 10-miler and a few short races around Cork.

Marathon Training

I’ve taken a similar approach to all the marathons apart from the first one – just upping the intensity of the training in each program and focusing on faster mid-week miles as my running confidence has increased.
    I usually do a 12 to 13-week schedule for a marathon. Because I’m away from home a lot for work and can’t commit to a detailed schedule I lay out a fairly loose program with the following non-negotiable guidelines:
    1. Decide in advance on the total mileage for each week and put these as the first set of entries in the chart
    2. Decide the long distance run each week and write each of these into the chart, also in advance
    3. Schedule a 2km swim for each Monday night

So it’s a very bare schedule to start with – just three entries per week filled in – the swim, the long run and the total mileage. Once it’s up and running I’d usually decide each Monday what to do in that given week (within the weekly mileage and long run guidelines already written into the schedule).
    Typically there’d be 30 miles or so to play round with and I’d split that into one hard session in midweek surrounded by some steady running. This allows training to continue in a flexible manner depending on work/travel schedule.

Usually I ended up running four times a week (Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for DCM 2012) and swimming once per week. Peak mileage (from 8 weeks down to 2 weeks before the race) would average around 50 or 52 miles per week. Add in the swim and you’re probably closer to 60mpw effort.

Generally as the weeks progress the long run mileage steadies at 20 to 22. As the body begins to cope better with this I found I was able to go at the hard sessions in midweek. When I started a few years ago these hard sessions used to be hill sprints or intervals on the flat. However, in early 2010 (I think) I read the Tergat posts in this thread (around page 19??) and that really changed my view. His focus on significant mileage at PMP was a different approach but a compelling one. It was music to my ears because I'd be strong on stamina but not so hot on pace (even now my shorter course times do not equate to a sub3 marathon on MacMillan)

So in weeks 8 to 2 I’d now do a Tergat workout of some shape or form as the hard workout. The biggest one of these this time around was the 5,4,3,2,1 and I did this around four or five weeks out from the race . However, I’d do a lot of PMP mileage – sometimes moving away from Tergat and doing 10 consecutive miles.

Progression runs were also a big help. Around week 8 I did one very effective long run of 10 miles at 7:20, 5 at 7:00 and 5 at 6:48

These workouts make the difference come mile 20 on race day. Your body is used to running at PMP while shagged and your central governor allows you to continue to dish out the pace.

One other thing I did this time was to run every second long run on grass. This was mind-numbing in the extreme as it involved lap after lap of the pitches at the UCC farm in Cork – especially one late-September 23-miler run alone in pouring rain and howling wind. However, it meant the calves took far less punishment and I was able to deliver much better quality in the midweek workouts

I didn’t do much hill running. Early in the program I’d do reps for 10 miles of the Roebuck Road/ Mount Anville/ Goatstown loop but that stopped once the Tergat sessions took over in midweek.

Summary Training Learnings

1. The Tergat workouts are golden
    2. 50% of long runs should be on grass
    3. Never run an aimless mile during the program. Whatever pace you’re doing, know why you’re doing it and focus on that outcome
    4. A hard session of cross-training each week allows muscular recover while also building conditioning
    5. The long run on Sunday and the “big” workout in midweek are key. The other mileage should support these sessions
    6. Training with others is great but you must do some of the tough sessions alone – you may well have to deliver alone on race day
    7. Be honest with yourself and discipline your training – if you don’t dish it out in training you will fade away when the questions are asked at miles 16-18 on the day

Race Strategy
    The key race strategy that worked for me is basically the Pfitzinger one:
    • Run steady and quietly on pace out to half way
    • Then focus on technique and think about your goal through the deadzone from 13.1 to 20 – all the while holding the steady pace
    • Then assess your condition at 20 and pour on whatever is left to get you home

Apart from my first marathon (when I really didn't know what I was at) and Boston 2012 (34 degrees C), this strategy has always allowed me to get the best on the day and to deliver a negative split. Nothing beats the feeling of steadily passing lads in the last 6 miles – it really drives you on when you’re hurting. In Dublin last month I was able to move ahead of the pacers on Milltown hill and take over a minute out of them on the run-in. I'm certain that's due to the race plan.

The other thing is planning
    • Get to know the course as well as you can
    • Visualise yourself running different sections
    • Meticulously plan your race morning and your list of kit / pre-race food etc.
    • Plan your travel and accommodation way in advance
    • …and all the rest of the usual advice

That’s it really – I haven’t really done a big story or race report on DCM 2012 because the story has been one of continuous progress. No question, it was wonderful to be able to break 3 hours and I'll never forget those last few miles. However, what worked to get me from 3:14 to 3:08 is what worked to get me under the 3:00 – just a little harder and faster in training and on race day. I remember the night of Rotterdam 2010 (I had run 3:14) in the Irish bar we met this older lad who had run a 3:03 that day but had a hatful of sub 3’s under his belt. His advice was “just keep training and your times will come down. You’ll get stronger and more confident and you’ll be able to train that little bit faster each time you set out to tackle a marathon”. Turns out he was right. That night I couldn’t for the life of me imagine a sub 3 for me but just two years later it has arrived.

Again, thanks to the great contributors on this thread (not just Tergat!) – top-class advice

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

(BTW, Rolex , I’m not sure if you knew I was on here but you will after a few more lines – I only copped who you were a few weeks ago!)

I think I might have you rumbled too.
    Do you use a "Terrier" alias also?

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    I think I might have you rumbled too.
    Do you use a "Terrier" alias also?

Dowtcha Rougey ;)

Outed, Pete, outed!

Great post above, I must print it out and then try to do it.

3:14 to sub 3 does seem like a stretch I must say. Unless you're a young 'snapper like Kiely U or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Itziger wrote: »
    3:14 to sub 3 does seem like a stretch I must say. Unless you're a young 'snapper like Kiely U or something.

It took me 5 years to go from 3:12 to 2:59.
    Then again, I was old and well over the hill already by the time ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭runsir

Course it's possible....3.22.59 to 2.56.31 from Dublin 2011 to Dublin 2012.....put the head down and get the training done and it can be done.

runsir wrote: »
    Course it's possible....3.22.59 to 2.56.31 from Dublin 2011 to Dublin 2012.....put the head down and get the training done and it can be done.

:confused: I never said it wasn't possible. I said it took me 5 years.

It's not the age Thomas, it's the focus (I'm pretty sure I started when I was older than you are now). From my memory of your blog, you were running ultras during this time and also posting some fast short course times. Although they improve your overall running I think they may have diluted the mental focus and hunger for the 26.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I don't think age plays such a big part, when trying to run sub-3 (within reason ;)). In fact, with age comes wisdom, focus and determination. As a younger man there's no way I could've run a sub-3 marathon, as I was too busy drinking, smoking and gambling. Thankfully, I no longer gamble. :)

It's not the age Thomas, it's the focus (I'm pretty sure I started when I was older than you are now). From my memory of your blog, you were running ultras during this time and also posting some fast short course times. Although they improve your overall running I think they may have diluted the mental focus and hunger for the 26.2.

You've got a point to a certain degree Pete, but if you look at some of the fellas who did sub 3 in Dublin 2012 and were doing 3.30 or so two years ago.... that's some going.

As you know, I'm around your age category and I reckon I've got about 2 or 3 years to get to the golden 2.59.59. Don't know if I will of course. Still do think that big improvements are probably for lads who are young and fit but come to the marathon without great athletics background and are pure potential types.

Now if only I could ditch the demon grape juice for a few months!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

We should take a quick census of how many sub 3 marathons are now posting regularly around here. The standard of running amongst posters seems to have have taken a massive step up in the last year or so.

After Dublin especially, there seemed to be a huge number of guys going sub 3 and even sub 2.50.

The standard of running amongst posters seems to have have taken a massive step up in the last year or so.

I was thinking the same after Dublin.

I remember the marathon about 3 years ago when we had quite a few guys (about 10, I think) going for a sub-3, and maybe one or two actually made it. To me it drove home the fact that a sub-3 marathon is pretty damn hard for most folks, and that definitely includes myself.

This time, the number of successful sub-3 attempts is in marked contrast, there was definitely a step up in standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Running is an inexpensive sport compared with a lot of others. Race numbers in places are up by a similar ratio with the recession. So it is just being reflected in the numbers getting sub 3 of posters on here. I don't think it anything else tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

rom wrote: »
    Running is an inexpensive sport compared with a lot of others. Race numbers in places are up by a similar ratio with the recession. So it is just being reflected in the numbers getting sub 3 of posters on here. I don't think it anything else tbh.

Perhaps. But the standard is still down compared to the previous running boom so I don't think it's simply down to ratio.

Maybe we're just seeing the improvements in the "early adopters." That is, the bunch of people who started running at the start of the current boom. Three years later, we're starting to see the standard among that group rise significantly?

425 went sub 3 in DCM 2012 compared to 281 in 2009.

That said, I do think the ART forum has had an effect too. Regular posters are seeing first hand what a bit of training can do. You see a log with a similar ability to you, go to sub 3 within a year etc

Advertisement