Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,813 ✭✭✭✭Basq

mano79 wrote: »
    Ya I only looked in yet driving by and it’s massive. Work colleague paid 3.25 for a take away latte in it the other day so sounds expensive.

Wonder what’s going into the old Boots. It’s been closed up a long time
    To be fair to Insomnia, far nicer coffee than the often burnt coffee from Costa.

Plus you can get any hot drink (any size) and a bun / cake for €4.75 / €5.25 (depending on cake). You wouldn't get much back from a tenner in Costa for that.

Definitely better value and nicer than Costa.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

red sean wrote: »
    Coffee shop :D:D

yeah because i was just in Sligo Town the other day and I couldn't find anywhere to have a coffee ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Same layout but can be a lot bigger, haven't been in the Sligo one for years but the bakery section was very small anyway.

Knocking it down seems drastic though.

Well all any Lidl store is a big shed so it would be as quick take one down and put up a bigger shed.im sure Lidl have it all worked out their looking to minimise closure time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

Love Insomnia. Not a coffee snob or anything, the coffee is secondary for me. I love the layout, the comfy chairs, nice staff, free fast WiFi and especially in the new O'Connell street one there are plug sockets beside almost every table. They know the customer they want, and they don't give a sh!t if you stay there all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,813 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Spotted a new printing place (PrintDoc?) a bit up from Taheny's.

Says opening soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Basq wrote: »
    Spotted a new printing place (PrintDoc?) a bit up from Taheny's.

Says opening soon.

Yeah. That's Jimmy Barr who used to have Craftsmans Press in the Market Yard. He's going into partnership with someone else for this venture. Sound bloke. Often have a pint with him.

See there is work going on at the old boots store in oconnell st is there somthing new coming

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Not shops...but factories
    There are persistent rumours that the former Elanco and Tractech buildings will get new occupants soon. Elanco is actually showing signs of life with some cars/people about.
    Has anyone got any further info on who / what is supposed to come here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭johnire

There’s work going on in the shop where Mr Simms Sweet Shoppe used to be in Wine Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

johnire wrote: »
    There’s work going on in the shop where Mr Simms Sweet Shoppe used to be in Wine Street.

Ya, I was walking past it so asked the guy who was painting it, he said it's the resource centre or the family resource centre going in. He kinda gestured up towards the Town Hall as if they are up there at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

peasant wrote: »
    Not shops...but factories
    There are persistent rumours that the former Elanco and Tractech buildings will get new occupants soon. Elanco is actually showing signs of life with some cars/people about.
    Has anyone got any further info on who / what is supposed to come here?
    ryanch09 wrote: »
    Any idea if these are linked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Any idea if these are linked?

Yes. they're going into the old Elanco premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Seems to be some work going on in one of the units in the Retail Park up in Carraroe, on the Halfords side. Not the old PC World, but next to Harry Corrys. Could this be the rumoured Harvey Norman?

red sean wrote: »
    Yes. they're going into the old Elanco premises.

But surely only into the Fort Gary buildings, not the proper chemical factory?

From what I can gather from their jargony website, the new company Abtran is basically a call center / outsourcing / customer service thingy.

350 new jobs is all nice and dandy...but what will the quality of these jobs be?

Agree completely with the above.
    It would be disappointing to see the manufacturing building used for this purpose.
    Again, similar to the above, I read the RTE report on this and couldn't make head nor tail of what they actually do (https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2018/0605/968280-abtran-jobs-in-sligo/)
    doesn't seem to be the type of high end jobs with longer staying power that could go in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Outsourced call centre among other things - They take calls for irish water and the property tax. I'd imagine its the new building that was built at the end of the estate past the roundabout. Its purpose build for office space. Elanco is a factory unit and unsuitable.
    The only other building that would be nearly suitable would be the old toucan one, but Aurivo are in there now, and it wouldn't have capacity for 350 people.

Great boost for Sligo.

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Agree completely with the above.
    It would be disappointing to see the manufacturing building used for this purpose.

Right next to the actual Elanco factory there are new (empty) office buildings...afaik Elanco used some of those for their offices

see link

https://www.google.ie/maps/@54.2771012,-8.4943344,3a,75y,150.43h,88.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJMoJnnzWAQIzQdKqcn-4BA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Right next to the actual Elanco factory there are new (empty) office buildings...afaik Elanco used some of those for their offices
    But that's kind of what I mean, by selling / renting the buildings individually make it less likely for another pharma or biotech company to take it over as the overall capacity is reduced. I visited it on a number of occasions and I'm nearly sure Elanco was 3 separate buildings at its peak.

see link

https://www.google.ie/maps/@54.2771012,-8.4943344,3a,75y,150.43h,88.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJMoJnnzWAQIzQdKqcn-4BA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

You'd never cater for 350 people in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Good news to see such a large number of Jobs announced. Hadn't heard of them before but looked them up and they don't seem like particularly good people to work for.. There's a Facebook page called "Scabtran" about them

plenty more empty offices next door if it ever gets to 350
    plus there's always the empty building at the roundabout...somebody must renovate that soon :D

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Good news to see such a large number of Jobs announced. Hadn't heard of them before but looked them up and they don't seem like particularly good people to work for.. There's a Facebook page called "Scabtran" about them

Extra jobs are extra jobs no matter what way you spin it. In general all employers are unpleasant, since they're not there for the good of your health, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a seriously misled.

No one will be forced to work there.....

sligono1 wrote: »
    See there is work going on at the old boots store in oconnell st is there somthing new coming

filmed in through the window yesterday evening - noticed they have stripped back the walls, and some lovely tiles exposed. So did this place used to be a Victualler's/butchers back in the day then or something like that?

452734.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

I think it was Liptons.

dingding wrote: »
    I think it was Liptons.

ah right thanks, yes thats what they are saying over on the Sligo Heritage and History Club facebook page...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

filmed in through the window yesterday evening - noticed they have stripped back the walls, and some lovely tiles exposed. So did this place used to be a Victualler's/butchers back in the day then or something like that?

452734.jpg

That looks wonderful. Would be a sin to take that down.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    That looks wonderful. Would be a sin to take that down.

gorgeous, and not your run of the mill cheap manufactured tiles either , might have been hand made porcelain or even made locally in the area for all we know, and a sin that some of them have been drilled into or smashed - shame these (or at least the ones remaining) could not have been removed and stored/put on display in Sligo museum or the model or something or somewhere in Sligo

what happens now?, I suppose whoever moves in now will just cover them back up again with new shopfitting equipment.

Any word what's going in there now maybe a coffee shop 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

See Sheniangians and McHughs is up for sale, it would be lovely to see these pubs open again.

Advertisement