Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Seeing rumours of Apache Pizza opening too..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭tinpib

Basq wrote: »
    Seeing rumours of Apache Pizza opening too..

Ya, in Wine Street car park by the looks of it. A few doors down from O'Briens Sandwich shop, there is a barber/hairdresser beside it, not the Video City side the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭DenMan

I was in Kebabish last night. It's really nice. I had a nice Doner Burger and it was packed and only €3. They're across the road from The Leitrim Bar and Sullivans Bar. When did they open?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

DenMan wrote: »
    I was in Kebabish last night. It's really nice. I had a nice Doner Burger and it was packed and only €3. They're across the road from The Leitrim Bar and Sullivans Bar. When did they open?

A couple of years ago.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    A couple of years ago.

Ha shows how long it's been since I was here last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

tinpib wrote: »
    Ya, in Wine Street car park by the looks of it. A few doors down from O'Briens Sandwich shop, there is a barber/hairdresser beside it, not the Video City side the other side.

Is it just the name that's changing above the door. Unless they are now going to get the ingredients from Apache, I wouldn't expect the quality to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Is it just the name that's changing above the door. Unless they are now going to get the ingredients from Apache, I wouldn't expect the quality to improve.

Its not in the space beside Video City/Hairdressers/OBriens, but where/beside the Fishmongers/Other Chipper was. Noticed the signage in Wine Street Carpark this afternoon. Might not be so bad afterall.

The Wine Street car park has two barber shops now I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭mickwat155

DenMan wrote: »
    The Wine Street car park has two barber shops now I see.

Just what Sligo needs another hairdressers

• Registered Users Posts: 28 w.b. yokes

The county council needs to start culling the amount of hairdressers in this town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

w.b. yokes wrote: »
    The county council needs to start culling the amount of hairdressers in this town

If there's a stauration of hairdressers then there's clearly a demand. Yeah, lets stifle new business that's a great plan

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

They need to be "cut" down to size alright..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,723 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

w.b. yokes - love the profile name lol :D

can they start culling the coffee shops as well, I am sure we dont need that many coffee shops in such a little town - its not really that exciting when I read of the 61st coffee shop opening up in Sligo :rolleyes:

Basq wrote: »
    They need to be "cut" down to size alright..

I dont like their style ....

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Sligo credit union seems to be moving where the clarence is https://www.sligocu.ie/credit-union-news/exciting-news-for-sligo-credit-union/

Vlove wrote: »
    Sligo credit union seems to be moving where the clarence is https://www.sligocu.ie/credit-union-news/exciting-news-for-sligo-credit-union/

seems a bit extravagant ... but what will be will be ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭tinpib

seems a bit extravagant ... but what will be will be ...

Yep, was kinda my thought too. But what do I know. Although the asking price seemed a bargain alright, wasn't it around €300k?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

mickwat155 wrote: »
    Just what Sligo needs another hairdressers
    On this topic, has Charlie's moved from Teeling Street to the Mall or are there now two Charlie's hairdressers in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Completely different businesses and people, not to mention gender!
    Charly is operating on the Mall for maybe 15 years now!
    Charlie Kelly operated as 'Anthonys' on Teeling St. since his dads time.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

red sean wrote: »
    Completely different businesses and people, not to mention gender!
    Charly is operating on the Mall for maybe 15 years now!
    Charlie Kelly operated as 'Anthonys' on Teeling St. since his dads time.
    Huh... wow.... I really couldn't have gotten that more wrong..... I'll just get my coat....

• Advertisement

Yep, was kinda my thought too. But what do I know. Although the asking price seemed a bargain alright, wasn't it around €300k?

bought with what? - do they use the credit union customers profit from the interest on loans?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

bought with what? - do they use the credit union customers profit from the interest on loans?

No. They get a loan off the Credit Union, like everyone else.

sligojoek wrote: »
    No. They get a loan off the Credit Union, like everyone else.

haha the irony in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

At €300k, it would seem a fantastic deal, particularly if they get tenants to rent the parts of the building the CU is not using.

If you are a CU member, wouldn't you prefer to own an asset like that, bought at a low cost, rather than pay high rents to a commercial Landlord?

Though CU's are non profit, they must obviously retain a reserve of funds, perhaps this was purchased from what could be a healthy reserve, or as another poster has said, the directors could have applied for a mortgage with repayments lower than the rent currently being paid. Either way, I'm sure it was carefully considered as the Sligo CU seems to be run very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

sligoblue wrote: »
    At €300k, it would seem a fantastic deal, particularly if they get tenants to rent the parts of the building the CU is not using.

If you are a CU member, wouldn't you prefer to own an asset like that, bought at a low cost, rather than pay high rents to a commercial Landlord?

Though CU's are non profit, they must obviously retain a reserve of funds, perhaps this was purchased from what could be a healthy reserve, or as another poster has said, the directors could have applied for a mortgage with repayments lower than the rent currently being paid. Either way, I'm sure it was carefully considered as the Sligo CU seems to be run very well.

+1

Sligo Credit Union’s Chairman, Peter Smith, announced that “We are delighted that our new building will be the Clarence Hotel which we have just purchased on behalf of our members.”

sligoblue wrote: »
    At €300k, it would seem a fantastic deal, particularly if they get tenants to rent the parts of the building the CU is not using.....

ah right, thats a different slant to it then if that is the case, i thought they were just buying it to use as a Credit Union office

• Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Think about the balance sheet of any organisation.

The assets are always financed by the liabilities.

So the main assets of Sligo CU are as follows:
    • loans = 28m
    • their buildings = 0.7m
      cash = 3.2m
    • bonds/deposits with banks, etc.= 43.4m

These are all financed by:

members shares/deposits = 62m
    accumulated past surpluses = 11m

https://www.sligocu.ie/cuweb/wp-content/uploads/AGM-Booklet-SligoCU-2017.pdf

Geuze wrote: »
    Think about the balance sheet of any organisation.

The assets are always financed by the liabilities.

So the main assets of Sligo CU are as follows:
    • loans = 28m
    • their buildings = 0.7m
      cash = 3.2m
    • bonds/deposits with banks, etc.= 43.4m

These are all financed by:

members shares/deposits = 62m
    accumulated past surpluses = 11m

https://www.sligocu.ie/cuweb/wp-content/uploads/AGM-Booklet-SligoCU-2017.pdf

<woosh!>

i'm afraid that just went over my head - not au fay in the purchasing of commercial property! ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Software company Livetiles announced on their facebook page that that are establishing an Innovation Centre in the town. 50 jobs announced

https://www.facebook.com/LiveTiles/

• Advertisement

Vlove wrote: »
    Software company Livetiles announced on their facebook page that that are establishing an Innovation Centre in the town. 50 jobs announced

https://www.facebook.com/LiveTiles/

Not a shop or store though, still good that it's going to create 50 jobs. They most probably will locate down finisklin ind estate won't they more than likely .

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2009383829303764&substory_index=0&id=1553503054891846&__tn__=%2As%2As-R

EDIT: - just heard on oceanfm news that its going to be located on the Sligo IT grounds at first...

Advertisement