Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Anyway I doubt we will ever see either of them in the town centre again. Commercial rates and daytime parking charges make it very difficult very difficult to survive. IF someone was willing to take a chance with franchise of that nature and expense, the ground floor (and maybe the 1st floor) of the Source building would be ideal (with 2 maybe 3 hairdressers on the top floor).

I could see that pretty vivid actually. what a superb location. You need a big name fast food restaurant because thats the only one thats likely to survive. - 4 lights would object though because it would be virtually on their doorstep there

not so sure about hairdressers above and they would not be able to afford to go up there either I shouldnt think - i dont really know what would be suitable for the top floors there. maybe offices ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

not so sure about hairdressers above and they would not be able to afford to go up there either I shouldnt think - i dont really know what would be suitable for the top floors there. maybe offices ??

Sorry, forgot to use emoji to convey sarcasm about the hairdressers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Anyway I doubt we will ever see either of them in the town centre again. Commercial rates and daytime parking charges make it very difficult very difficult to survive. IF someone was willing to take a chance with franchise of that nature and expense, the ground floor (and maybe the 1st floor) of the Source building would be ideal (with 2 maybe 3 hairdressers on the top floor).

Would still love to see an M&S there my self. Flagship store for a flagship building.
    I could see that pretty vivid actually. what a superb location. You need a big name fast food restaurant because thats the only one thats likely to survive. - 4 lights would object though because it would be virtually on their doorstep there

Personally, I would think it would be a monstrosity for any multinational fastfood to go in there, can only imagine all the neon they would want to put on it. Remember years ago, traveling through beautiful snowy country side, that was the Austrian Alps, and the first lights we seen, on arriving in the resort, was a fcuking McDonalds (this was my first thoughts on seeing it). Even though it was a lifesaver a few of the nights I was there, it still looked an eyesore in such a picturesque place.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Would still love to see an M&S there my self. Flagship store for a flagship building.

Personally, I would think it would be a monstrosity for any multinational fastfood to go in there, can only imagine all the neon they would want to put on it. Remember years ago, traveling through beautiful snowy country side, that was the Austrian Alps, and the first lights we seen, on arriving in the resort, was a fcuking McDonalds (this was my first thoughts on seeing it). Even though it was a lifesaver a few of the nights I was there, it still looked an eyesore in such a picturesque place.

Its ok because sligo town centre is not a picturesque place lol. Would fit in absolutely fine there haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Its ok because sligo town centre is not a picturesque place lol. Would fit in fine haha

But the Source is one of the nicer buildings on view though, and Golden Arches would not look right there. Dont get me wrong, have nothing against a MDs opening in the town, but stick it in the Quayside maybe, that Mezzanine Level is crying out for something, and am sure a food court would be ideal there.

• Advertisement

Im always so surprised when i go up to carraroe mcd's and see old people/oaps in there eating their chicken nuggets and chios or burger with a cup of tea because you normally associate a fast food restaurant like that with young wans and families and you always think of the blue rinse brigade as eating carveries with mash potato and carrots lol, not burgers and chips.. and eating somewhere quiet without noisy bratty kids running around everywhere. I can understand if they taking the grandchildren there but a lot of the time i have seen oaps in mcdonalds they are on their own with no grandchildren . Does look odd and out of place seeing older people in a fast food restaurant, but ah sure fair play to them, each to their own. I suppose that makes me sound ageist now. :D

Im always so surprised when i go up to carraroe mcd's and see old people/oaps in there eating their chicken nuggets and chios or burger with a cup of tea because you normally associate a fast food restaurant like that with young wans and families and you always think of the blue rinse brigade as eating carveries with mash potato and carrots lol, not burgers and chips.. and eating somewhere quiet without noisy bratty kids running around everywhere. I can understand if they taking the grandchildren there but a lot of the time i have seen oaps in mcdonalds they are on their own with no grandchildren . Does look odd and out of place seeing older people in a fast food restaurant, but ah sure fair play to them, each to their own. I suppose that makes me sound ageist now. :D
    I am in no way comparing the two places but it's amazing that those same age bracket of customers pack out Kate's every day, considering the high stools and the unusual seating arrangements. It just goes to show you the level of business that good food, service and atmosphere can generate.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    But the Source is one of the nicer buildings on view though, and Golden Arches would not look right there. Dont get me wrong, have nothing against a MDs opening in the town, but stick it in the Quayside maybe, that Mezzanine Level is crying out for something, and am sure a food court would be ideal there.

indeed ... "build it and they will come!" - great saying that...

I am in no way comparing the two places but it's amazing that those same age bracket of customers pack out Kate's every day, considering the high stools and the unusual seating arrangements. It just goes to show you the level of business that good food, service and atmosphere can generate.

are we to deduce from that the same appies to mcd's then? haha :D

are we to deduce from that the same appies to mcd's then? haha :D

To be honest I don't think I've eaten in McD's in Sligo more than twice so cannot comment on it's atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I just had a look on Sligo CC website. There's no planning application, that I can see, for that address.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I just had a look on Sligo CC website. There's no planning application, that I can see, for that address.

what? planning permission for BK at the old opel garage at carraroe you mean?

what? planning permission for BK at the old opel garage at carraroe you mean?

No, a McDs on O Connell St. :D

To be honest I don't think I've eaten in McD's in Sligo more than twice so cannot comment on it's atmosphere.

you dont even have to eat in there to guess the atmosphere lol ..

just imagine: "Shakira , come here, sit down ate yer nuggets and chips!" - and from beyond the counter "2 big macs and fries fast ... next please!!"

And just think of a rowdy bunch of kids spiked high on coke/fanta and other sugary drinks running up and down the gangway hitting everyone with their balloons as they go past ...

that will give you a fair enough feel what the atmosphere is like in McDonalds haha :D

ah just imagine a lovely big Mcd's where the old source building is ! ... "Im lovin' it!" :D

22089798_10213341985597976_366050820333765972_n.jpg?oh=e24a564492369fca2c7326515328ab29&oe=5A48F39E

Brighten up the area lovely so it would :)

(mind you, also looks like it could be a cinema too, now looking at it)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

ah just imagine a lovely big Mcd's where the old source building is ! ... "Im lovin' it!" :D

22089798_10213341985597976_366050820333765972_n.jpg?oh=e24a564492369fca2c7326515328ab29&oe=5A48F39E

Brighten up the area lovely so it would :)

(mind you, also looks like it could be a cinema too, now looking at it)

Love your photoshopping skills ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

LA rates would be a minor issue, given that I have heard [no proof], that the asking rent on Source is 200,000 pa.

Vlove wrote: »
    Love your photoshopping skills ;)

MSPaint! haha :D

Geuze wrote: »
    LA rates would be a minor issue, given that I have heard [no proof], that the asking rent on Source is 200,000 pa.

whats LA rates? - is that local Authority?

whats LA rates? - is that local Authority?

Yes.

Commercial rates are a property tax paid by businesses to the LA.

• Advertisement

surprising source sligo managed to run it for 3 years before it closed with high rent/rates then if that was the case

surprising source sligo managed to run it for 3 years before it closed with high rent/rates then if that was the case

It was run by the owner, so no rent.

He is now looking for 200k, or so I am told by a business in town that rang with an enquiry.

Whether he actually means that he really wants 200k is another matter.

Geuze wrote: »
    It was run by the owner, so no rent.

He is now looking for 200k, or so I am told by a business in town that rang with an enquiry.

Whether he actually means that he really wants 200k is another matter.

sorry if Im coming across t'ick but is that 200k to buy it or rent it?

A years rent I'd say. You wouldn't buy that place for 200k

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Rent..

There seems to be a new clothes store FLT (think its called that) where The Outlet use to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

There seems to be a new clothes store FLT (think its called that) where The Outlet use to be.
    FTK.. First To Know.

https://www.ftkclothing.com

Basq wrote: »
    FTK.. First To Know.

https://www.ftkclothing.com

Ah right,looked at the site, not bad clothes. Good to know if people wanna buy fancy clothes for special occasions.

sligojoek wrote: »
    A years rent I'd say. You wouldn't buy that place for 200k

ah right see, I hadnt a clue - well thats a whack of a price for rent isnt it! :eek:

• Advertisement

another clothes store - good, just what the town needs :rolleyes:

Advertisement