Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is PC world closing down. I stopped in it yesterday. Half the shop closed off and empty shelves and only 2 staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭dee_mc

irishgeo wrote:
    Is PC world closing down. I stopped in it yesterday. Half the shop closed off and empty shelves and only 2 staff.

Sharing a unit with Currys now, have a look in the businesses closing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

where/who is the big chain hairdressers?

No big chains, but plenty of them in close proximity.

Drove by the old McCormicks Garage earlier. Lights are still on inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Carpet Centre open on Lynns Dock, where Murrays Plumbing Supplies was.

• Advertisement

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Drove by the old McCormicks Garage earlier. Lights are still on inside.

Defiantly something going on. Noticed some of the signage removed today, and a bloke on a cherry picker looking at the forecourt overhang.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Defiantly something going on. Noticed some of the signage removed today, and a bloke on a cherry picker looking at the forecourt overhang.

ooh (even though I cannot believe i am saying this) .. sounds exciting!

ooh (even though I cannot believe i am saying this) .. sounds exciting!

Can imagine it will be an Applegreen or Top forecourt anyway, although wonder if the town needs, or would even by allowed three of the same provider/seller.

Passing by any of the former Excol/McCormicks premises, it was one of them who reopened them. With Mullens tidying up their forecourt, and Cannings currently working on theirs, frontage is going to be a major draw I would say.

going to be great for that "damn I just drove past the petrol station and I need fuel" scenario and cannot be ársed to turn around ... not to worry there will be another one a few hundred yards up the road I will stop at that one ...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

See this new fangled "BID Barn" being constructed in Stephen Street Car Park over lunch.

Between now and Christmas - it'll be used primarily for a Haunted House, an ice-rink and a Craft Beer and Gin Festival.

Looks like pretty much all of Stephen Street Car Park will be taken up by it though.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    See this new fangled "BID Barn" being constructed in Stephen Street Car Park over lunch.

Between now and Christmas - it'll be used primarily for a Haunted House, an ice-rink and a Craft Beer and Gin Festival.

Looks like pretty much all of Stephen Street Car Park will be taken up by it though.

Number of spaces x 1.20/hour x say 8hrs day.....

Should be a nice wee earner for the CoCo.

Number of spaces x 1.20/hour x say 8hrs day.....

Should be a nice wee earner for the CoCo.

you dont honestly think they will be paying the going rate? - it most probably be mates rates .. or on a technicality it is not vehicle so does not have to pay vehicle rates.

Just what Sligo town needs though - less car park spaces!

you dont honestly think they will be paying the going rate? - it most probably be mates rates .. or on a technicality it is not vehicle so does not have to pay vehicle rates.

Just what Sligo town needs though - less car park spaces!

Do I feck, even if they were it would probably be totally wasted anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Basq wrote: »

Great.

Stephen Street Car Park should be gotten rid of and turned into public space. The state of having a car park so close to the river so close to one of the most picturesque parts of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Great.

Stephen Street Car Park should be gotten rid of and turned into public space. The state of having a car park so close to the river so close to one of the most picturesque parts of town.

A barn for a Beer & Gin festival?

I'd say you might have a vested interest! :pac:

Not that I disagree with it, I never park in Stephen St., use it as a recreational space, much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Unfortunately a permanent recreational space in that spot would become a haunt for undesirables imo. You'd be tip toeing your way around beer cans and needles.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Also new restaurant - Hooked - opening where A Casa Mia was..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Unfortunately a permanent recreational space in that spot would become a haunt for undesirables imo. You'd be tip toeing your way around beer cans and needles.

Jaysus, it's not inner city Dublin for fecks sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

rizzodun wrote: »
    Jaysus, it's not inner city Dublin for fecks sake.

No but it is a popular spot for the Dutch gold brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Can imagine it will be an Applegreen or Top forecourt anyway, although wonder if the town needs, or would even by allowed three of the same provider/seller.

Passing by any of the former Excol/McCormicks premises, it was one of them who reopened them. With Mullens tidying up their forecourt, and Cannings currently working on theirs, frontage is going to be a major draw I would say.
    I was sure the 24 hr had lost the apple green franchise, just hadn't taken down the signage yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

shanec1928 wrote: »
    I was sure the 24 hr had lost the apple green franchise, just hadn't taken down the signage yet.

24hr is applegreen fuel but not a "real" applegreen store

Right, a place infront of a cafe, a sushi bar, a vegan cafe and a pedestrian bridge, that is also directly behind a bank which has army presence every week during money deliveries is going to be the equivalent of a North Inner City Dublin Alley. Come back to me.

I'm disappointed that you have so little faith in the people who live in town with you.

T-Bird wrote: »
    No but it is a popular spot for the Dutch gold brigade.

cant argue with that :D

many a time walking down that way had its very own entertainment of unclean dishevelled smelly drunks on the bench spouting shíte before fisticuffs show ensued for the public and tourists walking past :D - lovely place down there

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Great.

Its very squeezy, they should use it as a non parking facility. Its pointless for cars to park there cause there's no parking or you can't get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

ya get rid of stephen strret car park...and where exactly would you park the cars that regularly use it? there hardly any parking in sligo as it is without getting rid of one.

Tigger wrote: »
    24hr is applegreen fuel but not a "real" applegreen store

Not sure if they ever pretended to be anything else. Whilst pumps have been Applegreen, store was always been Gala, not Applegreen at all.

Vlove wrote: »
    Its very squeezy, they should use it as a non parking facility. Its pointless for cars to park there cause there's no parking or you can't get out.

Would park my car there sooner, than I would the free for all surface of the moon, Wine Street Car park. Now that is a disgrace of a Car Park.

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    ya get rid of stephen strret car park...and where exactly would you park the cars that regularly use it? there hardly any parking in sligo as it is without getting rid of one.

There's loads of car parking in Sligo, just look outside of Wine Street car park.
    Adelaide St is 100m up the road from Wine St and is empty most of the time.
    Quayside and The Glasshouse have loads, as does Connaughton Road.

Whenever Stephen Street is being used for events, does anybody really notice parking in the rest of the town get busier?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Scarlet42

is the ice rink being run by the same guy who did it down in Ballast Quay last year?

Advertisement