Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE is planning a hike in licence fees

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

QuadLeo wrote: »
    There's a bit of a difference in fairness. At least RTE have more than two sets. And TV3 weren't doing so well last time I heard.

...and RTE are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

If I tunned out RTE 1 & 2, would I have to pay the license?

CCCP^ wrote: »
    If I tunned out RTE 1 & 2, would I have to pay the license?

Yes. No ifs or buts.

You would have to show the tv licence people that you no longer have a device that receives live transmission signals of a television kind, in order to get away with not owning a TV licence.
    In other words, take a lump hammer to the TV. God knows I've felt like doing it every time I see in the TV schedules a lot of RTE garbage still on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Personally, I look forward with glee at the prospect of RTE going under. A medium that needs to be propped up by extortion should die.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I will NEVER pay for a licence so Gerry Ryan can stuff his face live on air and talk about frenching his missus...no way,never.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

squibs wrote: »
    And haven't they changed the licensing terms to basically define computers as tellies because of the online RTE player service? So dumping the telly will no longer exempt you from having a license.

IIRC Eamonn Ryan said recently that this would not happen. As for the hike as Mike said, they can't just do it. Not only that it is based on RTE's performance. On that basis we should be getting a reduction. Strikes me as a story that someone wants floated, just for the fun of it. Look at the legs it's been given already. Given that Ryan can point at the excessive salaries some are receiving I doubt that they will get one. They'll need to get their house in order first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

My mate works in RTE and at very least he gets paid for six and a half hours. He went in for the lotto on Saturday, worked for an hour and a half but got paid for six and a half hours.. he says its just what their union sorted them with.

Cut this **** out maybe RTE?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Degsy wrote: »
    I will NEVER pay for a licence so Gerry Ryan can stuff his face live on air and talk about frenching his missus...no way,never.

I would gladly pay to keep Mr Ryan in a job. The schadenfreude his presence on the air waves causes is worth every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

This looks like a case for Joe Duffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I would gladly pay to keep Mr Ryan in a job. The schadenfreude his presence on the air waves causes is worth every penny.
    Wrong use of the word schadenfreude there cheese

\pedant

• Advertisement

Seriously, I'm considering getting rid of our TV.
    Its all turning to crap anyway and we only have it on rarely for the kids.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Wrong use of the word schadenfreude there cheese

\pedant

Not really, the (shameful) joy i get from other peoples misery with regards to ryan continued employment is indeed worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Not really, the (shameful) joy i get from other peoples misery with regards to ryan continued employment is indeed worth every penny.
    I didn't read it like that.

You may continue :D

Quazzie wrote: »
    I didn't read it like that.

You may continue :D

Why thank you, good sir.

*tips hat*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

You pay the license fee?

Enjoy the sinfull pleasure while it lasts,i predict Mr Ryan will not be around forever,he's pissed off a lot of rte execs in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

You do have to wonder even though RTE have never been refused an increase if the government, in an attempt to get a wee bit of positive press might take the step of refusing it this time saying that in these unfortunate economic conditions the tax payer shouldn't be asked to fork out more money.

I'd say they'll get the increase but you can always live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Milky Moo

C'mon guys murder she wrote episodes are really expensive!
    They obviously need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Milky Moo wrote: »
    C'mon guys murder she wrote episodes are really expensive!
    They obviously need it.

Not to mention the amount of hairspray Brian O'Connell goes through or maybe that's a wig, I can never be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

ynotdu wrote: »
    and while we are at it let Rupert Murdoch decide who he has decided should be our next Govt and what we should think&vote on changes to our constitution!

RTE is a public service broadcaster,and in many ways is far superior than its equivelants around the globe.

The evening herald reported last week that the projected shortfall for the year is euro80 million,can anyone confirm this?

Imagine TV3 being the agent of carrying election/referenda results?
    female presenters would be lapdancers and male presenters would be stripograms popping up:pac: with the results i mean..........tssssskkkkkkkkk

It is difficult to read a post previous to this that has not got valid points or justified anger about RTE though
    .for sure they lick Govts ass sometimes,still overpay many,are Dublin biased(the joke in RTE about Nationwide used to be smug D4 pratts calling it :Rednecks round-up:D

as some previous posters have suggested output IMO should be cut back,not loss of 24/7 sevice

depending on the severity(they are required by law to break even,that was such naive legislation?obviously the draft was written by recreational drug users:)) My humble suggestions would be:

1) amalgamate RTE/1/2 into one channel?
    2)amalgamate RTE/1/2/tg4 into one channel?

Radio 1 to continue
    Radio 2 to close(it is not public service and plenty do it better)
    Dab channels to close(for now)
    RnaG to continue
    Lyric fm to Amalgamate with Radio1.
    only RTE international to be carried on sky(no need for the domestic and international versions of radio1,I dont know what sky charges for carridge but the very few diffriences in schedule between them does not justify any cost.

those who want only daytime broadcasting seem to forget that at least some people work shift and dont want/cant afford sky+ or UPC,s fledling similiar service.
    The people who would be hit hardest by changes are the elderly i think?
    so HEY a bit of compassion for them at least?

hopefully most of the above could be reversed if/when:) this recession ends.

So how is the night shift at RTE?

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

funk-you wrote: »
    So how is the night shift at RTE?

You will have to get past their vicious beast to find out:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭AdamusAdonis

They could stop sending presenters on holiday... frikin no frontiers me balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

I don't recall signing any agreement etc. That I am forced to, by law to buy a TV license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They could stop sending presenters on holiday... frikin no frontiers me balls.

Ah that old chestnut. How else should a holiday program be made I wonder? Through some manner of webcam link up from Donnybrook over stock footage of the Eiffel Tower. ;)
    CutzEr wrote: »
    I don't recall signing any agreement etc. That I am forced to, by law to buy a TV license?

Yeah, I don't remember signing anything saying that I am forced, by law, not to murder people.

Cool! I can totally shoot that d*ckhead neighbour of mine now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

What if... the whole country refused to pay the license?

Would they prosecute us all?

..probably?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Ah that old chestnut. How else should a holiday program be made I wonder? Through some manner of webcam link up from Donnybrook over stock footage of the Eiffel Tower. ;)
    Srsly though, How depressing is it to see these "common as muck" presenters on a sun soaked beach enjoying our licence fees :P
    funkyflea wrote: »
    What if... the whole country refused to pay the license?
    Bah, we're all to sheepish, admit it. That's why I sit and watch these guys spending my hard-earned at the beach bar ;)

Srsly though, How depressing is it to see these "common as muck" presenters on a sun soaked beach enjoying our licence fees :P

Yes I must admit that the class of persons allowed on television has dipped horribly. People from outside The Pale being allowed on?

Dear God. It's an outrage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭jochenstacker

If you have a TV you'll have to pay the licence fee.
    And also if you have a PC, laptop, mobile phone, sat nav, anything that is capable of connecting to the net and displaying content.
    It's the nature of taxes as Leo Getz says "They f*ck you and f*ck you and f*ck you and when they're done f*cking you, they f*ck you some more!"

People from outside The Pale being allowed on?

Lol :rolleyes:, though maybe you can help... I've been trying to find an answer to this since I started working in Dublin...
    Why does every Jackeen hold "the pale" in such high regard?
    Why is it an honour to come from within what WERE it's boundaries?

:confused:

Why does every Jackeen hold "the pale" in such high regard?
    Why is it an honour to come from within what WERE it's boundaries?

I dunno. Maybe cause us from inside the Pale can use apostrophes properly. :)

• Advertisement

I dunno. Maybe cause us from inside the Pale can use apostrophes properly. :)

^ So far, 100% of people in this "pale debate", as I'll call it, have proven an inability to use them correctly. 100% are also from with "the pale"'s boundaries (legitimate assumption?)

:cool:

Advertisement