Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE is planning a hike in licence fees

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I'd prefer to go to prison than wake up every day knowing that I'm paying for those talentless pricks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

They can go fuck themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

ah come on lads its a national treasure that station is.

It provides us with absolutley vital programming and those guys deserve what they get paid. Every single cent.

I mean, take the like of Gerry Ryan. He's our Jonathon Ross. I dont see any other country with their very own Jonathan Ross! (maybe apart from england)

And winning streak... there is so much awesome on that show i cant even express it through the magic of HTML.

so give up giving out about RTE. complain about some else. like apartheid. or cancer.

Gerry Ryan can fit ten billiard balls in his mouth.
    Lucy Kennedy can fit ten co.. well you get the general idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I haven't watched any RTE channel in about 5 years so why should i have to pay them so that they can produce utter garbage like 'Celebrity' Bainistoir, Fair City and Winning Streak?

I'm not a big fan of paying for services i don't use :confused:

• Advertisement

Gerry Ryan Lucy Kennedy can fit ten billiard balls in her mouth.
    Lucy Kennedy Gerry Ryan can fit ten co.. well you get the general idea.

FYP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

DrumSteve wrote: »
    ah come on lads its a national treasure that station is.
    It provides us with absolutely vital programming and those guys deserve what they get paid. Every single cent.
    I mean, take the like of Gerry Ryan. He's our Jonathon Ross. I dont see any other country with their very own Jonathan Ross! (maybe apart from england)
    And winning streak... there is so much awesome on that show i cant even express it through the magic of HTML.
    so give up giving out about RTE. complain about some else. like apartheid. or cancer.

You got to be taking the pee!

* Ross is an obnoxious over-paid fatish twat so yea, he can be compared to Ryan - and both unwanted by a lot of folk!
    * "absolutely vital programming" - Yea, we need so much reality garbage and imported schite - if only because ours is just as bad!
    "winning streak" LOL Get the frak out out here will you! Pure drivel for the brain dead!

As we are being forced to pay for a licence - we're entitled to frakin' complain!

National treasure? National Disaster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's just another tax hike. If they don't get us this way they'll get it some other way so short of getting the f*ck off this bloody island or doing jail time, people need to lap it up.
    I watch and listen to enough of RTÉ in a year to warrant paying something (€160 is way OOT though)...but my whole problem with the license fee is with how the money is used...a lot like my tax money as it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭the_dark_side

I dont have a TV. I watch youtube, and some stuff off RTE's website (documentaries etc), also dvd's on the PC. I havent had a tv in years. I dont know why people have them in the house. No one reads anymore...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I dont have a TV. I watch youtube, and some stuff off RTE's website (documentaries etc), also dvd's on the PC. I havent had a tv in years. I dont know why people have them in the house. No one reads anymore...

I've a TV but only turn it on 99% of the time for the kids.
    Right now its off and will be for most of the day and night. Kids don't miss it, its off that much.
    Anything we hear about that is good, we buy the dvd's, or seek the programmes through the net.
    Both wife and I read A LOT. Each of us have Sony electronic readers.

Couldn't be arsed with RTE. Gulls me that our money is going to business that we neither use or want!

If you walk into a shop and buy a product you know a number of things.
    You know a percentage of your money handed over is
    1. Going to the gov' in tax
    2. Going to the shop
    3. Going to the maker of the bought item

Yet when we buy the TV licence, without our say number three (above) is nominated for us!
    If I buy a spoon, I'd expect my money to go to the maker of the spoon - not the knife that is still sitting on the shop shelf!
    I don't want my licence fee going to RTE. I'd be a lot more happier giving it to one of the other services I actually use! Not those useless gitts!

By the way, interesting reading this: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1197442/The-licence-fee-admits-BBC-boss-Cost-watching-TV-council-tax-bill.html

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    You got to be taking the pee!

* Ross is an obnoxious over-paid fatish twat so yea, he can be compared to Ryan - and both unwanted by a lot of folk!
    * "absolutely vital programming" - Yea, we need so much reality garbage and imported schite - if only because ours is just as bad!
    "winning streak" LOL Get the frak out out here will you! Pure drivel for the brain dead!

As we are being forced to pay for a licence - we're entitled to frakin' complain!

National treasure? National Disaster!

Feel the sarcasm admiral!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I haven't watched any RTE channel in about 5 years so why should i have to pay them so that they can produce utter garbage like 'Celebrity' Bainistoir, Fair City and Winning Streak?

I'm not a big fan of paying for services i don't use :confused:

Buddy, you got a lot to learn.

Do you pay taxes?

Well then you pay for hospitals.garda/teachers/schools/roads/nurses/doctors.

Hopefully you haven't used all those recently:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Nolanger wrote: »
    Am I the only person who knows that if you watch TV on a computer there is no need to buy a licence?

If it can receive TV then yes, you need a licence.

My problem is why should I buy one to support a commercial channel that I never watch? My licence fee isn't paid to Sky or NTL, so why RTE? Rip off Ireland at it's best;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Wait a minute. People actually pay the TV licence :pac:

I want to do a poo at Cathal's

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've thrown out my TV. **** RTE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Thats great. But you still need a TV license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Is it RTE charges for the licence seriously?

Never ever ever fcuking watch that channel and i pay enough for NTL that i dont watch either bar possibly the odd forensic detectives

Worst thing you can do is pay it once tbh i had to get one last week cos i always got one but at this stage i would rather put the TV through the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

They'd need to hike the licence fee up to about €1,000 to get them out of their current problems.

While the salaries of Tubridy, Ryan et al are major bugbears, their problem is a massive amount of non-productive middle management.

RTE are so corporately dysfunctional that nothing less than throwing them to the wolves would work right now. They need to be metaphorically hung from lampposts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

The station should just cut back. Closedown should begin at 1.30AM and the station not reopen until 7.30AM. The same should apply to RTE radio, while one or two of its stations should be suspended. All forms of domestic "Reality TV" should be abolished, the re-running of old Irish TV shows (The Riordan's,Dublin City etc) should be a guarantee. The Late Late Show should be shown more sparingly (every fouth Friday a domestically produced film should be shown (The Garage, The Snapper etc).

These could be temporary measures, with a view to re-invigorating the station in the years to come, when the station is financially viable again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I'm :eek: that only 14% of the population hasn't got a tv license.

Can't you ask them for a warrant if they come around anyway:confused:

Such a waste of money!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

Just when nobody has any money they charge us more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

has anybody ever been prosecuted for not buying or renewing a tv license? can't say I know of any convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Unbelievable. Sky are also increasing their monthly subscription price... that's why we're switching to NTL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,858 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The argument about computers being used to receive RTE programmes, then that means you need a licence for them.

I only have dial up available to me, does that mean I don't have to have a licence? Why should I be asked to buy a licence if I have to spend 4-5 hours downloading a 24 minute programme that isn't worth the price of the dial up?

Het-Field wrote: »
    The station should just cut back. Closedown should begin at 1.30AM and the station not reopen until 7.30AM. The same should apply to RTE radio, while one or two of its stations should be suspended. All forms of domestic "Reality TV" should be abolished, the re-running of old Irish TV shows (The Riordan's,Dublin City etc) should be a guarantee. The Late Late Show should be shown more sparingly (every fouth Friday a domestically produced film should be shown (The Garage, The Snapper etc).

These could be temporary measures, with a view to re-invigorating the station in the years to come, when the station is financially viable again.
    Eh... more series for Katherine Lynch, Jason Byrne, David McSavage and Des Bishop you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Anyone remember that stupid tv licence ad they had on during the eighties, if you drove your television you would need a licence if your television barked you would need a licence. The question everybody asked was your television doesn't do any of those things so why the fcuk do you need a licence?

Now in the new ad they say they have heard all the excuses, what about this one it isn't worth €160.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

and while we are at it let Rupert Murdoch decide who he has decided should be our next Govt and what we should think&vote on changes to our constitution!

RTE is a public service broadcaster,and in many ways is far superior than its equivelants around the globe.

The evening herald reported last week that the projected shortfall for the year is euro80 million,can anyone confirm this?

Imagine TV3 being the agent of carrying election/referenda results?
    female presenters would be lapdancers and male presenters would be stripograms popping up:pac: with the results i mean..........tssssskkkkkkkkk

It is difficult to read a post previous to this that has not got valid points or justified anger about RTE though
    .for sure they lick Govts ass sometimes,still overpay many,are Dublin biased(the joke in RTE about Nationwide used to be smug D4 pratts calling it :Rednecks round-up:D

as some previous posters have suggested output IMO should be cut back,not loss of 24/7 sevice

depending on the severity(they are required by law to break even,that was such naive legislation?obviously the draft was written by recreational drug users:)) My humble suggestions would be:

1) amalgamate RTE/1/2 into one channel?
    2)amalgamate RTE/1/2/tg4 into one channel?

Radio 1 to continue
    Radio 2 to close(it is not public service and plenty do it better)
    Dab channels to close(for now)
    RnaG to continue
    Lyric fm to Amalgamate with Radio1.
    only RTE international to be carried on sky(no need for the domestic and international versions of radio1,I dont know what sky charges for carridge but the very few diffriences in schedule between them does not justify any cost.

those who want only daytime broadcasting seem to forget that at least some people work shift and dont want/cant afford sky+ or UPC,s fledling similiar service.
    The people who would be hit hardest by changes are the elderly i think?
    so HEY a bit of compassion for them at least?

hopefully most of the above could be reversed if/when:) this recession ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

If TV3 can survive with zero income from TV Licensing, RTÉ can feck off looking for more!

There's a bit of a difference in fairness. At least RTE have more than two sets. And TV3 weren't doing so well last time I heard.

• Advertisement

Get Czech and Polish broadcasters in to replace the current shower... they'll do the job for alot less!

Advertisement