Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE is planning a hike in licence fees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

People just wont pay it.

hmmm, food or tv ? food or tv ??

I for one, would not miss rte if it went t1ts up.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Steo46

They should take a pay cut like everybody else. I will not be renewing my TV license this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

RTE cannot plan a licence increase, they can request one, make a case for one but thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

rte can hike off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭mirror mirror

dont have license,definitely wont be getting one just to pay wage for these overpaid twats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I lol'd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

....You men are all the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Union sources said around 100 senior and well-paid staff will oppose any attempt to reduce their salaries without their personal agreement.

There's the problem....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Most of the "stars" on RTE are useless and overpaid. If they reduce their salaries and they quit, let them. They'll find that no one else will hire them and we'll have another overpaid muppet of RTE's payroll with lower license fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

And haven't they changed the licensing terms to basically define computers as tellies because of the online RTE player service? So dumping the telly will no longer exempt you from having a license.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

IvySlayer wrote: »
    There's the problem....

Both unions voted overwhelmingly in favour of pay cuts so you can't tar the whole organisation by the actions of a very small minority

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

From the article...

In an unusually self-congratulatory worded statement, RTE said its annual report "captures a performance characterised by prudent and proactive management against a background of sudden change and serious challenges in the external trading environment".

The station also described its creative and competitive performance in 2008 in light of the economic downturn as "remarkable".

Talk about self-love.
    RTE is the equivalent of a teenage boy pulling the stomach out of himself beneath the covers each night.
    Crowd of Winkers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

About 6 years ago a fella called to the homestead looking for our TV licence. Of course the mother got consumed by the fear of being caught on the wrong side of the law and couldn't find the bloody thing.
    Yer man -fair play to him- gave the 'rents an address that they could forward said licence on for inspection. The father was delegated the job of forwarding on the licence by the mother, and with all the confusion and panic didn't he inclose the licence for our lovely Cairn terrier LuLu..... Fast forward a couple of days, the dog licence is returned with a kind little note asking to please forward our Television Licence at the earliest convenience.

I'd love to have been there when they opened that letter.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

If TV3 can survive with zero income from TV Licensing, RTÉ can feck off looking for more!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Seeing as RTE is to Fianna Fail as England is to being Americas Lapdog, RTE will indeed get their increase.
    They have being doing what they have been told (officially and unofficially) by Fianna Fail heads for some time now so they will soon reap some reward!
    They have been kissing the governments arse hard enought to get their demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Any station that gives Katherine Lynch money to make her god-awful show don't deserve a cent. She's just terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Why cant rte just be privatised like TV3 god knows they are as dear anyway. No licence fee happy public!

There is always free view if it does not work out!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

i object to more of my money being spent on big hogs with their snouts in the montrose trough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Am I the only person who knows that if you watch TV on a computer there is no need to buy a licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Just say no.

• Advertisement

Nolanger wrote: »
    Am I the only person who knows that if you watch TV on a computer there is no need to buy a licence?

I think the law was changed/reworded so that ANYTHING that is capable of receiving or playing transmissions, needs the said licence.

Someone will further clarify this but I think this is so....

Nolanger wrote: »

Have you a radio! and i think this is a technacality which is currently being challenged

Any station that gives Katherine Lynch money to make her god-awful show don't deserve a cent. She's just terrible.

Am i the only one that thinks katherine thomas has a lovely big mouth and thinks that her tallents can be better used!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Pay them for owning a laptop? For what? The 'privilege' of watching fcuking winning streak re-runs? Yeah right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

No need for 2 stations, 1 RTE station is enough.

The Broadcasting Bill 2009 is shortly becoming the Broadcasting Act 2009
    Section 140 first, Key Definitions.
    “television set” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving
    and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general
    reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on
    the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or
    assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;

Download document:
    http://193.178.1.235/documents/bills28/bills/2008/2908/B29c08D.pdf

That which is NOT a Television set has to be EXCLUDED by ministerial order . If a Laptop can receive RTE iPlayer in Ireland it shall be 'licensable' unless it is excluded by order of Minister Eamon Ryan
    This means that any device that can run a Flash Player, iPhone, Browser, PS3, etc will become a television set unless Minister Ryan excludes it from his 'list' .

Taken from this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055556309

Long story short, you can bet your arse that ANY way they can get the money from you, they will at least try to cover all the loopholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

It's that Lucy Kennedy wan I can't stand, I can't even look at her she disgusts me that much, and she seems to be everywhere.

Also did anyone catch Vincent Browns interview with Brian Lenihan on TV3? he had him on the ropes and sweating like a paedo in a barney suit, if that was Brian Dobson interviewing Lenihan would have gotten a cold sore on his arse from all the kissing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

My understanding is that they're trying to get more households to use computers hence they're holding off requiring a TV licence for a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

It really is ridiculous. There should be an opt out kinda scheme, where RTE send a couple of lads around to break the antennae off your roof. And then stop asking for a licence fee of course.

I never understood the licence fees here - money given to a couple of channels to make ****e shows that probably cost nothing to make, while the channels are still supported by ads anyway? Seems wrong. BBC have got it right - ad free channels that produce some of the best shows avaliable worldwide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

What is RTE.:D. If and when I'm at home news and sport are the only programmes that I watch. Their so called stars are nothing other than a bunch of pretentious shi*es who are so far stuck up their own arses they don't know what the real world is like. Almost every chat show has guests from other tripe dished out by RTE. Axe RTE or let the staff buy it out and run the show themselves.

Advertisement