Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compaq mini desktop with 21.5in monitor €69.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr.S wrote: »
    But this was an obvious pricing error, hardly the same example as buying a €500 PC in a shop?
    What's obvious to one person may not be obvious to another though..

.. there's no grounds there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    They absolutely cannot do the latter, even if it wasnt in their contract that title passes to you upon delivery, there is simply no legal basis for them doing so. Imagine walking about of an electronics shop being chased by the assistant, 'here, give the rest of 500 bills which i forgot to charge you',!

They can actually but they would have to apply to court for rescision on the grounds of unilateral mistake, if you were to refuse to comply with their request. A unilateral mistake occurs where one party makes a mistake and the other party knows, or should have known, that this mistake occurred and did not bring it to the attention of that other party.

However, if the vendor were to complete the contract (ie deliver) in knowledge of the mistake, they would have affirmed the contract so it all depends on context.

Things are not quite as clearcut as you make out. Nobody here will get delivery of this item.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Hmm yeah see your point. I'll try and find that example of Dell/Apple.

But what about the Airlingus example, people booked business tickets for like €X and got their credit cards charged, confirmation emails etc.

Airlingus didn't have to honnour it, but they sort of did as a gesture of good will?

Same principal isn't it?

Not really... it all depends on cost. Aer Lingus gave the people economy class flights for the price they paid for business class flights. The cost of doing this was probably within the profit margin of the economy class flights so they won't have lost huge amounts of money. If the wholesale price to Littlewoods is below the ostensible selling price, which it presumably is, there is no chance they will honour it, certainly not on this scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

But this was an obvious pricing error, hardly the same example as buying a €500 PC in a shop?

Its the same principle though! As i said, title of goods according to Littlewood terms and conditions, passes to the purchasor upon delivery, so they wouldnt have a leg to stand on if they tried this crazy action! So if anyone if lucky enough to have it delivered then you are perfectly entitled (in fact, legally entitled) to tell them to take a run and jump.

The legal principle or peppercorn consideration or something, the 'consideration' or money which flows to seller, may be sufficient (regardless of amount) but need not be adequate for the goods changing hands.

Apologies for my shoddy recollection of contract law!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Just read the T&C's :o
    3. Processing your orders and payment
    3.1 If you are paying for your order through your Littlewoods Ireland Catalogue account, the relevant payment will be shown on your next statement.

3.2 Whilst it is our intention to keep our website up to date and error free, product description or pricing errors may occur. If we discover such an error after you have submitted an order to us, we will contact you prior to accepting your order with the correct details. You may then either cancel your order or re-confirm it based on the correct information. If we are unable to contact you, we will treat your order as cancelled.

Ah well
    Time will tell :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

johnfás wrote: »
    They can actually but they would have to apply to court for rescision on the grounds of unilateral mistake, if you were to refuse to comply with their request. A unilateral mistake occurs where one party makes a mistake and the other party knows, or should have known, that this mistake occurred and did not bring it to the attention of that other party.

However, if the vendor were to complete the contract (ie deliver) in knowledge of the mistake, they would have affirmed the contract so it all depends on context.

Things are not quite as clearcut as you make out. Nobody here will get delivery of this item.
    Well i stand corrected, still if the goods get as far as next monday, 6th of july when Littlewoods would clearly be aware of such a mistake and then to try and recoup the money, they wouldnt have a leg to stand on, no?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

johnfás wrote: »

This is correct.

In the case of aer lingus, it could have been shown that in the current climate of offering air fares at 1c / 9.99 / 19.99 it is feasible that people thought that the offer of flights to the usa for a very low price was a valid offer, however in this case (I ordered one too) it is unknown for even a basic computer to be sold at €69 anywhere in the world including China. Therefore it is obvious that it is an error and if the orders are fulfilled it would be purely out of customer service rather than any legal requirement.

Personally I doubt very much if these orders were fulfilled as the financial loss would be too great.

Littlewoods would have noticed the error fairly quickly, any would have got onto the supplier not to ship any, and i really dout any supplier ships products in an hour or so!

Thats exactly the point im making though! I dont think they will either, see the 2.5 million calculation earlier! But if they do deliver next monday as is the current ETA, then they couldnt possibly use the above legal rememedy to get out of the contract.

They do have the correct pricing on other parts of the site, so could they not argue that it was an obvious pricing error and as such, would demand the correct amount of € or return the goods for a refund?

I really dont get what your trying to say, first of all , how is it not an obvious pricing error? Its 69 yo yo's ffs!! Its alluded to above what their legal come back would be and if they chose to deliver the goods a full week after they became aware of the error, then would logically be denying themselves access to such a remedy. If they have the correct pricing now, they didnt earlier, which just re-affirms it was an obvious pricing error, which is obvious from the price itself!!

Sorry that came across like a rant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vincenzo1975

I can see this becoming a media story and bad publicity for Littlewoods, which could have a really bad impact oon their website, however, if they did ship the pc's and take the hit, it could be the biggest advertising boom they will ever get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Darando

can someone (MOD) set up a poll to see how many of these babies were ordered!!! (never set up a poll on boards so haven't a clue - something will give a running total!)

then we can see how much fun they will have telling everyone to f*** off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I just ordered one.

Lets see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Just ordered the 19 inch package. See what happens!

Any legal heads actually know what we are entitled too? Lets assume they have already taken the funds from my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

GrumPy wrote: »
    Any legal heads actually know what we are entitled too? Lets assume they have already taken the funds from my account.

SFA

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

karmabass wrote: »
    SFA

Well, a refund at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Thanks OP. There's one winging it's way to me....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Lone Ranger

have it sussed.
    its an sneaky way of getting all of our details and card numbers and then flooding us with emails about offers.:eek:

ps jumped on the band wagon aswell and ordered the 19i
    i'm not greedy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

I ordered the 21.5 at 1.30pm, still no confirmation email, no sign of funds being taken from my card and the order says "Order Being Processed" on Littlewoods site.

If they honor the order i will be only slightly less surprised than i would if Brian Cowen became a victim of spontaneous human combustion and Dublin experienced a week of heavy rain of fish.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

stagolee wrote: »
    I ordered the 21.5 at 1.30pm, still no confirmation email, no sign of funds being taken from my card and the order says "Order Being Processed" on Littlewoods site.

If they honor the order i will be only slightly less surprised than i would if Brian Cowen became a victim of spontaneous human combustion and Dublin experienced a week of heavy rain of fish.:(

Mhhh....I ordered the 19inch at 4.45pm and got a confirmation email almost instantly,they pulled the 21inch link off,where as the 19inch is still active,so heres to hoping! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

2 ordered with XX687 code for a grand total of 110 plus change...We will see how it goes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

stagolee wrote: »

Same here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

simonp1 wrote: »
    2 ordered with XX687 code for a grand total of 110 plus change...We will see how it goes:)

They've already said they won't honour it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,844 ✭✭✭✭Basq

carbsy wrote: »
    They've already said they won't honour it.
    Nothing to lose tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

basquille wrote: »
    Nothing to lose tbh..

I know, sur I picked up 2 myself. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Tippex

and the 19" model is still available......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Jesus you'd think they'd have sold out on that 19" by now...

*orders 12 more*

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭kingcurls

a source tells me they rang littlewoods to check would they actually get it of they bought one apparently they will have to honour and they cant take it off the site for 24 hours because of some consumer protection act......so purchase away the screen alone is worth more....also plenty of promo codes online

if its your first time buying from littlewoods use this code: ZG188

gives 15 euro off

enjoy :D wish i had 55 quid now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Stevo105

19" ordered :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭cop41

19inch ordered :-) Awaiting confirmation email ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Just ordered 2, i feel i was robbed, only got the 19" :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement