Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Digital TV HD Media Player 1080p - €100 delivered [Expansys]

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

smccarrick wrote: »
    None in any of the Leinster stores......?
    I put it up this morning at 9.40am on HUKD.ie and there was a scatter of stock at that stage (only 1 in a couple of stores)!

Untitled_166.png
    (stock status as of 9.40am this morning!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

If anybody has reserved the one in Carlow and isn't using it I will gladly take it off your hands :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

jamesd wrote: »
    Can the apple tv 2 be jailbroken to play avi's off usb keys?
    assuming you have the correct microUSB adapter to connect your usb drive/key to the apple tv, then yes. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The new one is up for pre-order on Amazon too:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B005NYOKC2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1320329695&sr=8-4

They say 6-9 weeks so the PAL model must be in short supply at the moment.

did anybody get this from argos? is it actually the new and latest version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kenyard

just find out if it has the inbuilt wifi and that will tell you. i got one, a year ago with the inbuilt lan and its a nuisance as i have to run it through laptop or change router location to closeby for updates etc...
    because of that also i hafnt used the stream from home network feature really either. (hooking to lappy to connect to network may as well just connect HDD)
    you do pay the bit extra for the wifi though..so if you dont need it dont get it :)

2 comments ill make. 1. its not full HD. only 720p. note that.
    the different models have different features. some dont even have hd.
    they support the 1080p files or at least my 720p version does, but i guess its only played in 720p
    2. remote is tiny and so easy lose :) watch it

kenyard wrote: »

2 comments ill make. 1. its not full HD. only 720p. note that.
    the different models have different features. some dont even have hd.
    they support the 1080p files or at least my 720p version does, but i guess its only played in 720p
    2. remote is tiny and so easy lose :) watch it

All the main WDTV players are full HD (1080p).

They did have some crappy WDTV mini that wasn't, but that was useless anyway, only basic format support.

managed to get the last one in Argos Carlow this afternoon and the added bonus is that as it is over €100 with the current argos promotion you get a €10 gift card. :-)

Once I get it set-up later this evening I will put up a review if anybody fancies?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

tommycahir wrote: »
    managed to get the last one in Argos Carlow this afternoon and the added bonus is that as it is over €100 with the current argos promotion you get a €10 gift card. :-)

Once I get it set-up later this evening I will put up a review if anybody fancies?

Good stuff!

In stock at Dabs now for €105.83

• Advertisement

So far I am quiet impressed with its ease of use and set-up
    , one thing to note is you need to have a spare HDMI lead as one is not included in the box only a component cable

Pros
    • Small form factor ( approx 4 inches square by 1 inch high)
    • Clean easy to use interface
    • HDMI out for ease of connection
    • wide ranging support for different video formats (I have yet to find a format in my collection it will not play)
    • Some nice clean themes already released & live hub themes supported

Cons
    • No HDMI lead included
    • Media Library does not work for shared drives (firmware fix being worked on) - this is a major issue as the dashboard doesn't work without media library being enabled
    • XML files are needed to get data about the move rather than using NFOs like XBMC
    • Limited administration support if connecting to the box via browser

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

So far I am quiet impressed with its ease of use and set-up
    , one thing to note is you need to have a spare HDMI lead as one is not included in the box only a component cable

Pros
    • Small form factor ( approx 4 inches square by 1 inch high)
    • Clean easy to use interface
    • HDMI out for ease of connection
    • wide ranging support for different video formats (I have yet to find a format in my collection it will not play)
    • Some nice clean themes already released & live hub themes supported

Cons
    • No HDMI lead included
    • Media Library does not work for shared drives (firmware fix being worked on) - this is a major issue as the dashboard doesn't work without media library being enabled
    • XML files are needed to get data about the move rather than using NFOs like XBMC
    • Limited administration support if connecting to the box via browser

Can you stream from veetle or justin?. If so does it stream ok?

Can you stream from veetle or justin?. If so does it stream ok?

I haven't tried that yet, will check it out later on when messing with it again and see what is possible

only tested youtube and flickr streams yesterday evening and must say they were pretty smoothly handled

one thing to note is you need to have a spare HDMI lead as one is not included in the box only a component cable
    i've actually noticed over the last fesw years since the introduction of HD that practically nothing you can buy with either HDMI inputs or outputs will come with cables supplied, you always seem to have to buy them separately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

A bit like the old days when you had to buy and fit a plug yourself to any electrical items. It's true, kids....

blastman wrote: »
    A bit like the old days when you had to buy and fit a plug yourself to any electrical items. It's true, kids....
    and had to change your own fuses and everything.

***or more likely, just wrap some tinfoil round the old one. :D

***DISCLAIMER: DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS, IT'S VERY DANGEROUS!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,810 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The original Bargain Alert (over 2 years old) is well and truly gone at this stage.

Best either starting a new thread for the new WDTV or start a thread in Gadgets for discussion.

Closed!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement