Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Digital TV HD Media Player 1080p - €100 delivered [Expansys]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Biro wrote: »
    Why would I change my TV for an inferior one that'll play a more limited range of file types? 360's and PS3's are also limited in what they'll play back. The WD device is excellent, and the Live one can stream from your network as well as from a USB device, also there's the Asus competitor which is also excellent.
    If you have gone to the trouble of downloading a 1080p movie from some source, the WD device has a far higher chance of playing it back than a 360 or PS3.
    Just a follow on from what you have said. I have found a few times lately where I have had to bring the WD player down from the bedroom and connect it up to the main TV in the living room as the PS3 is increasingly saying 'unsupported media file' more and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

I have a PS3 and have given up trying to play back any sort of downloaded movie on it...it sucks BIG time!! Its a pity as its such a powerful machine and so good in other ways!

If only someone could crack it wide open!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭Basq

madmoe wrote: »
    I have a PS3 and have given up trying to play back any sort of downloaded movie on it...it sucks BIG time!! Its a pity as its such a powerful machine and so good in other ways!
    Nah, can't agree with that.

PS3 is a great little media machine. Certainly is less fussy about what it plays with regards to codecs (especially various audio formats and bitrates) than the 360 I find.

But the WDTV beats them both hands down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Sorry for digging out an old thread.

New firmware available now.

Version 1.03
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/WDTV/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Does the harmony one remote work with the wdtv ?

• Advertisement

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Does the harmony one remote work with the wdtv ?
    I couldn't get it to work with it outta the box unfortunately.

Had to program it a bit (using the 'Learn Command' function) but works as normal now.

basquille wrote: »

Had to program it a bit (using the 'Learn Command' function) but works as normal now.

Cheers basquille

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

What a stupid vid review on this page. http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1742/western_digital_s_wd_tv_hd_media_player_video_review/index.html

Firstly he's sampling different quality sound files even though they are then processed again when compressing the video.

Secondly he's demonstrating 720p and 1080p again on a compressed low quality video file. f8kin eedgit.

Anyone know where in a brick and mortar store the new WD HD TV Live can be bought? Just need one in a hurry.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Also looking for one of these. They have it on komplett and you can collect for €89. No sign of it on peats website.

• Advertisement

Having a gang of mates over on Sunday night so was hoping I could pick it up somewhere in town. Would be a bit more expensive but me does not mind.

Tried calling PC World in Jervis as they did have the older one a while back but surprise surprise they are not answering the phone!!

Cheers,
    M

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I tried all over for the WD TV Live last week and couldn't find it anywhere. Only the WD TV. I ordered from Amazon instead.

How much did it cost from Amazon all in mate? Did you receive it yet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Sterling £49.99 here

I think its a one day only offer- but still remarkable value.....

But that's the older one. Me wants the new 'Live' one with the Ethernet port on the back....

Cheers anyhow smccarrick!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

But that's the older one. Me wants the new 'Live' one with the Ethernet port on the back....

Cheers anyhow smccarrick!

Yes- it is the older one- but cheaper than I've ever seen it elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

smccarrick wrote: »
    Sterling £49.99 here

I think its a one day only offer- but still remarkable value.....

That's the mini, Elara have it for €65.61 also a little dearer I know but if you in a position to collect from Parkwest it probably works out cheaper...

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Do-more wrote: »
    That's the mini, Elara have it for €65.61 also a little dearer I know but if you in a position to collect from Parkwest it probably works out cheaper...
    Even with delivery it beats Komplett.ie and Dabs.ie, cheers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Do-more wrote: »
    That's the mini,

Yep, be careful, the model above is the mini, which doesnt have half of the format/codec/resolution capabilities of the regular WDTV HD.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

How much did it cost from Amazon all in mate? Did you receive it yet?
    105 sterling with free delivery. Works out 118 euro I think. Cheaper than Komplett.

I got it this morning. Just setting it up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Any luck with getting wireless working banchang and The Sparrow?

I put in my essid etc, but I am already on firmware 1.03

As such when I put in the USB flash drive with the firmware with amended essid etc, WDTV doesn't recognise that there is a firmware update to be done, & I can't make this wireless update

Any ideas ?

banchang wrote: »
    I put in my essid etc, but I am already on firmware 1.03

As such when I put in the USB flash drive with the firmware with amended essid etc, WDTV doesn't recognise that there is a firmware update to be done, & I can't make this wireless update

Any ideas ?
    I think it you change the wdtv.ver file in the firmware package to a version higher (e.g 1.04) - and it'll install it!

But if you're already on 1.03, then don't worry about the firmware - as long as the wireless config files are intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

I think it you change the wdtv.ver file in the firmware package to a version higher (e.g 1.04) - and it'll install it!

But if you're already on 1.03, then don't worry about the firmware - as long as the wireless config files are intact.

Isnt 1.03 the latest ?

No matter what you change on the wireless config files, WDTV won't see it as an update, from what I can see ?

Hi basquille ,I just got the harmony one and I noticed that the WDTV is listed under
    Media centre PC / Western digital / WD TV HD media player.

I haven't gotten the wdtv yet:( ,just messin with the harmony ,great remote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I didn't notice if this was mentioned in here already, it's a hugely long thread and a bit all over the place.

Question is, does anyone know if anywhere in town (Dublin) stocks the WD TV HD (not the live)? Would like to pick one up tomorrow if possible, having a movie night and would rather not have to a) hook up the laptop/speakers/etc or b) wait for the thing to be delivered.

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Hi basquille ,I just got the harmony one and I noticed that the WDTV is listed under
    Media centre PC / Western digital / WD TV HD media player.
    Interesting.. must have missed it.

Will reconfigure it now so.

Cheers for letting me know.

105 sterling with free delivery. Works out 118 euro I think. Cheaper than Komplett.

I got it this morning. Just setting it up now.

U have a direct link for it on Amazon?? I think I'll go with Amazon rather than Komplett.

U have a direct link for it on Amazon?? I think I'll go with Amazon rather than Komplett.
    Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001ILFDCK

• Advertisement

Cheers dude. It says "Price: £99.43 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery. See details and conditions" but nothing about Ireland??

Cheers,
    M

Edit: Just saw that it applies to Ireland as well :-) Happy days!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement