Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Digital TV HD Media Player 1080p - €100 delivered [Expansys]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Doodoo wrote: »
    I have some films on a memory stick (AVI files) and some of them will not play on my xbox. They all play on my pc on the VLC player. Just wondering will the western digital TV HD media player play all the films i have.

Yeah it should do. Try and get the WDTV Live. It's played everything I've thrown at it so far in multiple formats. AVI files should be absolutely fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Yeah it should do. Try and get the WDTV Live. It's played everything I've thrown at it so far in multiple formats. AVI files should be absolutely fine.

There's a new WDTV Live just released last week, try and get that one because WD normally drop support of the old ones as soon as they are discontinued.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Spotted them anywhere? Hopefully the integrated wifi won't drive up the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Spotted them anywhere? Hopefully the integrated wifi won't drive up the price.
    elara has them listed as coming in on 1st nov. for €95.59 Incl Vat. saw another (dutch) supplier listing the same date too priced at €115.

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2300475

the product no. for the new PAL one is WDBGXT0000NBK if you're looking for them anywhere online etc. so you no you've got the right one. :)

Thanks. Doubt it that any euro e-tailers would sell NTSC versions, but no harm in being cautious.

Am big fan of old (current) wd tv live with b-rad's firmware (moviesheets), so hopefully that'll be supported on the new one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

There's a new WDTV Live just released last week, try and get that one because WD normally drop support of the old ones as soon as they are discontinued.

..having said that, third party firmware support is superb for these players.

Is there a risk that WD will be locking down the new firmware. I noticed that with the hard drive version of one of their players. Not as, 'end user' friendly.

Cheers for the link vibe666.

Amalgam wrote: »
    ..having said that, third party firmware support is superb for these players.

Custom FW for the WDTV can't change anything related to video playback. So if there's a bug or sync problem, CFW can't do a thing.

The original WDTV was discontinued after a year. Soon after, MKVMerge started using header compression by default and all of a sudden there was tonnes of videos that wouldn't work with it, you had to remux them to fix it. WD wouldn't do a thing even though it would have been a simple update.

That's why i'd go with the newest one, you're guaranteed an extra couple of years support.
    Is there a risk that WD will be locking down the new firmware. I noticed that with the hard drive version of one of their players. Not as, 'end user' friendly.

Yep, depending on the content providers, sometimes the firmwares are locked down to protect DRM keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Very similar in shape to the Roku.

Here's an unboxing of the soon to be released model.

Hmm, this'll go on the 'self Santa' list, methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

I've decided I'm getting a WD TV Live HD Media Player ( WDBGXT0000NBK)

Next problem is nowhere has any in stock. Are they on sale yet and if not when are they expected. http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2300475 (originally posted by vibe666) seems to be the cheapest I can find so far at e95 with e8 delivery in Ireland or free collection.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I have the first version of the WD player(the non wifi one)
    It can't paly DTS videos' i have to use popcorn to take the DTS out & change it to play it
    is there a 3rd party fix for this?

• Advertisement

Lenny wrote: »
    I have the first version of the WD player(the non wifi one)
    It can't paly DTS videos' i have to use popcorn to take the DTS out & change it to play it
    is there a 3rd party fix for this?

No. The WDTV Gen1 could not decode DTS. No fix possible.

It can pass the DTS track to a receiver though, via spdif or HDMI, and let them do the decoding. So if your surround system supports DTS then it works fine.

Next problem is nowhere has any in stock. Are they on sale yet and if not when are they expected. http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2300475 (originally posted by vibe666) seems to be the cheapest I can find so far at e95 with e8 delivery in Ireland or free collection.
    i think it was only announced a week or so ago and review sites and blogs have samples of them now but most places i've seen them listed indicates nov. 1st to actually get them in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I have a 1st gen device and I'm thinking of replacing it for a device with more broad support of audio and video codecs.
    Just wondering do the later models support everything or is there still some codecs that are unsupported?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Thanks. Doubt it that any euro e-tailers would sell NTSC versions, but no harm in being cautious.

Am big fan of old (current) wd tv live with b-rad's firmware (moviesheets), so hopefully that'll be supported on the new one too.

I just put the B-RAD fw on mine yesterday....

Are the moviesheets hard to get going? Seems to be difficult to get a newbies guide to the BRAD FW...

neacy69 wrote: »

I followed this video tutorial [youtube.com] to get the moviesheets to show.

Use Thumbgen (windows only prog) to create moviesheets.

Little tip: Keep each video in its own separate folder. Makes everything neater and easier to organise. And take your time with the above vid + thumbgen... seems bit confusing at first, but you'll fly it after a while.

Just checked this again and the price has gone up to e101.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Just checked this again and the price has gone up to e101.

That price could be for the new version...

neacy69 wrote: »
    That price could be for the new version...

Both prices were listed for the new model number. By the way its now listed for e125

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

vibe666 wrote: »
    elara has them listed as coming in on 1st nov. for €95.59 Incl Vat. saw another (dutch) supplier listing the same date too priced at €115.

http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE2300475

the product no. for the new PAL one is WDBGXT0000NBK if you're looking for them anywhere online etc. so you no you've got the right one. :)
    i think it was only announced a week or so ago and review sites and blogs have samples of them now but most places i've seen them listed indicates nov. 1st to actually get them in stock.
    It's gone, me sad. Nov 1st.

It's gone, me sad. Nov 1st.
    looks like they're planning on getting them in a couple of weeks, going by the web page.
    0 Available to Ship
    16-Nov-2011 Estimated

• Advertisement

Both prices were listed for the new model number. By the way its now listed for e125

E141 now!

looks like they're planning on getting them in a couple of weeks, going by the web page.
    OOh it's back, it was a dead link this morning.

E141 now!
    Crazy price for just a Media Player. The old/current one can be bought delivered for €83, I think I'll just get that one......or stick with rewriteable disc!

couldn't justify it myself, not with the apple tv being as cheap as it is and so much more versatile once it's jailbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭Basq

New model is currently €115.99 in Argos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

couldn't justify it myself, not with the apple tv being as cheap as it is and so much more versatile once it's jailbroken.

Can the apple tv 2 be jailbroken to play avi's off usb keys?

jamesd wrote: »
    Can the apple tv 2 be jailbroken to play avi's off usb keys?
    Yep.. sure can.

Basq wrote: »
    New model is currently €115.99 in Argos

Is that definitely the new model?

Is that definitely the new model?
    According to a guy over on HUKD, it is.. but can't guarantee it!

Worse comes to worse - when they hand you the box in Argos, it'll have the specs on it. Hand it back if it doesn't state Wireless-N.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

None in any of the Leinster stores......?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement