Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Digital TV HD Media Player 1080p - €100 delivered [Expansys]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

The whole text in my net config folder is:
    HOST=wdtv
    # DHCP=yes
    # Static IP Configuration: (only if not DHCP)
    DHCP=no
    IP=192.168.1.100
    GW=192.168.1.254
    NM=255.255.255.0
    DNS1=192.168.1.254
    DNS2=212.216.172.62
    sleep 5
    ifconfig rausb0 upiwconfig rausb0 essid BTVOYAGER2110-9C key "65cg2359x7wc5"

Do I need to change the DNS or GW or any of that stuff?

I remover the s: but that was just what I originally had and still no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,836 ✭✭✭✭Basq

ifconfig rausb0 upiwconfig rausb0 essid BTVOYAGER2110-9C key "65cg2359x7wc5"
    This should be two lines.. as below:
    ifconfig rausb0 up
    iwconfig rausb0 essid BTVOYAGER2110-9C key "65cg2359x7wc5"

One or two other suggestions if the above doesn't work:

Your settings in the net.config are identical to mine.. is that a coincidence or did you not bother changing them? You need to ensure 192.168.1.254 is your router address? Or you can try using DHCP by changing the net.config to below:
    HOST=wdtv
    DHCP=yes
    # Static IP Configuration: (only if not DHCP)
    # DHCP=no
    # IP=192.168.1.100
    # GW=192.168.1.254
    # NM=255.255.255.0
    # DNS1=192.168.1.254
    # DNS2=212.216.172.62
    sleep 5
    ifconfig rausb0 up
    iwconfig rausb0 essid BTVOYAGER2110-9C key "65cg2359x7wc5"

What size USB key / drive are you trying the firmware with? I had problems getting it to work on a larger hard drive (320GB).. so try a USB key with a capacity of something between 32MB - 1GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

basquille wrote: »
    The latest PowerDVD appears to play them from a quick Google.

Thanks but no, PowerDVD Ultra 7.3 (which is what I have, but doesn't work with Win 7) was the last version of PowerDVD to support HD-DVD. Linky

Will the WD play HD-DVD rips?

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    Will the WD play HD-DVD rips?
    Yeah, using something like Handbrake to output the disc to something like MKV will do the job.

See here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

i completely agree with you, torres. i can't seem to get the full screen movie artwork, cast abd director, ratings, and poster of the film to work on my WD player either, and i gave up trying. if anyone had an idiot proof guide, it'd be great. All i have managed is to get one or 2 generated, and then they can only be viewed by going to the photos option on your wd player and navigating to wear the pictures are stored. Which firmware do you use to get TV Pixie to work, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

Ive TVPixie showing posters for each movie with the latest Beta firmware and also with the last officla firmware, you have to go into options and set the view items are viewed to folders instead of list.
    The posters dont show up until a scan of the folders is done, each movie needs to be in its own folder with the proper name on the folder as it pulls the name from the folder when tv pixie is searching for posters.

Thanks a million, James. Will try that tonight.
    So at the moment i have the latest firmware, do i just need to upgrade now to the latest beta firmware?
    jamesd wrote: »
    Ive TVPixie showing posters for each movie with the latest Beta firmware and also with the last officla firmware, you have to go into options and set the view items are viewed to folders instead of list.
    The posters dont show up until a scan of the folders is done, each movie needs to be in its own folder with the proper name on the folder as it pulls the name from the folder when tv pixie is searching for posters.

Any luck with getting wireless working banchang and The Sparrow?

James, how you doing. I have the .11 beta firmware, i have the test of Bruno complete with movie artwork, review and rating etc. When i plug in my drive, the only way i can see the artwork is by viewing the folder by photos, is there a better or easier way to bring up the artwork?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Thanks for the followup basq

Haver been busy all week but its now one of my weekend projects.

Will let you know !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Does the WDTV 2 decode dts? I was lookin on komplett and looks like it said it does but want to double check... As more of my movies are in x264 dts which is hooked up via Logi z-5500 but want to use in my bedroom the WDTV and no way am i buyin another z-5500

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

None whatsoever. I'm about to give up. I had the act light on the dongle flashing the other day but it never went solid and I've tried a couple of times since then and no look.

The smallest memory stick I have is 2gb so I am using that. It seems to updating the firmware just fine but do you think that could be the problem.

I'm not very technically savvy so there is probably something reallly simple that I am just missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Torres09

James, how you doing. I have the .11 beta firmware, i have the test of Bruno complete with movie artwork, review and rating etc. When i plug in my drive, the only way i can see the artwork is by viewing the folder by photos, is there a better or easier way to bring up the artwork?

Cheers

looperman1000, we seem to be getting somewhere, im in the same boat as you now, i got all the artwork/info.... except it's in the Photo Folder and not Video Folder -aaaarrrrrrrggggghhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

I know ! I know!! media player tempting.
    It plays this and it plays that; what about buying a cheap basic netbook or may be notebook and leave it there besides you TV.
    You can buy cheap one at €200 quids.
    Future proof; update any codec.
    Unlimited memory. Just keep adding external drive.
    Wireless/ networking whatever you say.

I mean I don't see any point in these special media thingis when you can simply buy a multipurpose machine and just leave it there for ever.

Good luck finding a netbook for €200 that outputs 1080p video over HDMI, not to mention 5 channel optical out.

Cheers

Go into settings and then into video settings and in there set the browser display to thumbnail mode and then the posters will show up for you.

Thanks James. Ill try that. So when you set the browser mode to thumbnails, the poster shows up when you go into the folder? Or just when you select a folder? Rather than asking i should perhaps test it, i did think i did this already though.
    Go into settings and then into video settings and in there set the browser display to thumbnail mode and then the posters will show up for you.

Thanks James. Ill try that. So when you set the browser mode to thumbnails, the poster shows up when you go into the folder? Or just when you select a folder? Rather than asking i should perhaps test it, i did think i did this already though.

Yes all the posters will show up ,not just when you move over them, I get around 12 movies on the screen at a time and just scroll through them.

James when you say the poster shows up, these are the posters that were generated by Tvixie, yes? With film ratings, and cast on it,and description of the film?
    Yes all the posters will show up ,not just when you move over them, I get around 12 movies on the screen at a time and just scroll through them.

• Advertisement

James when you say the poster shows up, these are the posters that were generated by Tvixie, yes? With film ratings, and cast on it,and description of the film?

Yes Posters created by Tvixie, I dont get to see the ratings,cast or description at all but i came across a site that allows you to see this with some editing - I ll have a look for the link and post it here.

Yes Posters created by Tvixie, I dont get to see the ratings,cast or description at all but i came across a site that allows you to see this with some editing - I ll have a look for the link and post it here.

See here on the tvixie forum
    http://www.tvixie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=513

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

You need to install custom firmware first i believe, then a mod to display the movie sheets.

Custom firmware - WDLXTV -
    http://b-rad.cc/wdlxtv
    Installed the same way as official firmware upgrades.

LaurentG.app.bin = mod
    http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=1217.0

Can end up with stuff like http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=2134.0 as the result.

Still trying to get this working myself :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

hi all!
    Networked player i would like a lot and looking at this one
    http://www.xtreamer.net/
    see what you think.
    slan
    j

thanks james and nitromaster, will have a good go at getting this working tonight. looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

hi all!
    Networked player i would like a lot and looking at this one
    http://www.xtreamer.net/
    see what you think.
    slan
    j

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, not sure what the current situation is....

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Iguana Bob

Good luck finding a netbook for €200 that outputs 1080p video over HDMI, not to mention 5 channel optical out.

are you really gonna have 1080p movies on your hard drive. cant play 1080p on a typical movie that is downloaded (700mb). unless you went to the effort of copying a blue ray. or spend all that time downloading a 4 gig movie

better option buy a 360, or a slim, or put the money towards the new phillips range of tvs eg pfl378404 which can play movies straigt from hard drive

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Iguana Bob wrote: »
    are you really gonna have 1080p movies on your hard drive. cant play 1080p on a typical movie that is downloaded (700mb). unless you went to the effort of copying a blue ray. or spend all that time downloading a 4 gig movie

better option buy a 360, or a slim, or put the money towards the new phillips range of tvs eg pfl378404 which can play movies straigt from hard drive

Coming up, apples are compared to turnips....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Really? The think only costs 70 quid like. And yes you can download full HD films. And yes it plays them no bother in full 1080p. In full DTS with an optical link to an amp. And the thing is nothing short of abloodymazing for it's size and price.

Your TV alone costs nearly €1000, doesn't have a DVI connection, will not play HD videos from a hard disk and is only 37" which is too small to appreciate HD anyway. Adding a XBox to the equation and €70 looks well worth the punt don't you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Why would I change my TV for an inferior one that'll play a more limited range of file types? 360's and PS3's are also limited in what they'll play back. The WD device is excellent, and the Live one can stream from your network as well as from a USB device, also there's the Asus competitor which is also excellent.
    If you have gone to the trouble of downloading a 1080p movie from some source, the WD device has a far higher chance of playing it back than a 360 or PS3.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement