Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Analogue, DTT, Aerials

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Have decided to go with this aerial - ordered and hopefully will have it soon :)

http://cpc.farnell.com/1/1/60285-aerial-43-element-f-conn-digi-343-triax.html

Shall let you know how i get on with it :)

Have it up and running in a temporary position on the east wall of the house....signal has improved somewhat but the following mux keeps fading out:

PSB2
    D3+4
    Maximum64QAM 8k 2/3
    24Mb/s
    DVB-T MPEG2
    resample_mux.php?w=25&h=26&ids=ITV1,S4C,FIVE,ITV2,C4WA,C4PLUS1,MOR4,ITV1PL1
    3 ITV 1 (ITV Wales), 4 S4C, 5 Channel 5 Part Network ads, 6 ITV 2, 8 Channel 4 South ads, 13 Channel 4+1 South ads, 14 More 4, 33 ITV 1 +1 (ITV Wales), 102 Rabbit, 103 Gay Rabbit,
    • as a digital multiplex transmitted on frequency C46+ (674.2MHz)

Its only a temp test setup so i might not have the aerial in the best place...the best mux the the PSB1 which is almost always viewable with the new ariel. Media Centre is rubbish for providing accurate signal quality.

COM 4-6 (COM 5 is non existant) are more prone to fading in and out but that doesnt bother me too much - PSB2 is important (for rugby world cup especially :P ). PSB3 i cant test since i dont have a DVB-T2 tuner :( yet for my PC

Overall the ariel has certainly improved things but I need mount it higher and get a proper digital meter for better allignment. Saorview is coming in at 738mhz Mux1 and 770mhz mux 2 (future services) - think thats kippure so thats an added bonus :D

Update - all freeview channels seem to be coming in nice and strong now even on the lower powered COM muxes ( COM 5 is still missing however)

Thanks again for your help folks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Vince Cable

Question though - how does it compare to the 12 element 12db one i have in terms of db gain? . . . Im just wanting to learn how to properly compare ariels by the values provided on sites

Worth reading this article & the rest of the site too, even if you've already bought your aerial.

Im leaning towards the wideband at the moment

Just curious, what exactly is your understanding of 'wideband'?

Just curious, what exactly is your understanding of 'wideband'?

It recieves channels 21 to 69 while group specific ariels can only recieve a small certain set of channels in comparison. Is there anything else that is different between wideband aerials and group specific aerials?

That's pretty much it. :)

• Advertisement

Quick question btw - rumour has it that all the main freeview transmitters will go up to 100 kWatts in late 2012 (thier PSBs at present run at 20 kWatts for the most part). Can anyone clarify this and will this increase signal quality in the overspill areas in any noticable way?

I know its a bit off topic but it is certainly something relvent in regards to future setup of aerials in freeview overspill areas in our fair republic plus in regards to mount leinster and welsh dtt co-channel interferrence :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Where did you get this 'rumour' (it's nonsense btw)?

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Where did you get this 'rumour' (it's nonsense btw)?

I read it on digital spy forum somewhere - ill try and find the link. Also spotted on another site but I need to find that link again - its not confirmed on any official site however :P There is mention of Divis been powered up to 100kW as well on boards.

mrdtv2010

Drogheda will be buried by a 100kW omni service from a station like Divis, with its new much higher mast now under construction, outside its immediate service area. RTENL should rechannel this station to use Brougher's frequencies as there will be no CCI. However the longer things go on the more I think anything other than a 1 Mux Irish DTT service is DOA. It will also antagonise Divis analogue viewers in the runup to 2012: but RTENL are masters at own goal after own goal of late...

Ive just started looking into this anyways but ive found no official report or site saying that we will see UK PSBs @ 100kW....just curious to see if anyone here knows any more about this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Quick question btw - rumour has it that all the main freeview transmitters will go up to 100 kWatts in late 2012 (thier PSBs at present run at 20 kWatts for the most part). Can anyone clarify this and will this increase signal quality in the overspill areas in any noticable way?

I know its a bit off topic but it is certainly something relvent in regards to future setup of aerials in freeview overspill areas in our fair republic plus in regards to mount leinster and welsh dtt co-channel interferrence :D

These Ofcom switchover documents include the present and planned power for the UK transmitters - http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/transmitternetwork/tools__and__resources/ofcom_information

Transmitter power is subject to ITU and bilateral agreements with neigbouring countries - Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland.

The Cush wrote: »
    These Ofcom switchover documents include the present and planned power for the UK transmitters - http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/transmitternetwork/tools__and__resources/ofcom_information

Transmitter power is subject to ITU and bilateral agreements with neigbouring countries - Ireland, France, Belgium, Holland.

Thank you kind sir :D Looks like Preseli is to remain at 20kW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Several of the main TX sites in the UK will have the 3 public muxes broadcasting at 100kW ERP but definitely not all of them. Many others will be at 20kW for example, like Brougher Mountain and Limavady.

Quick question btw - rumour has it that all the main freeview transmitters will go up to 100 kWatts in late 2012

Go up to 100 kW? That would be a large drop in power for the likes of switched-over Crystal Palace, Sutton Coldfield, Rowridge, Belmont, Sandy Heath, Emley Moor which will all have erps well in excess of 100 kW.

. . . There is mention of Divis been powered up to 100kW as well on boards.

Typically, the digital broadcasts are set at 1/5 the erp of the analogue (Divis analogue is 500 kW) but afaik, analogue levels are peak power while cofdm levels are given as an average & can be significantly higher if multiple 'carriers' within the overall cofdm symbol bandwidth combine in phase or somesuch . . .

I read it on digital spy forum somewhere - ill try and find the link. Also spotted on another site but I need to find that link again - its not confirmed on any official site however :P There is mention of Divis been powered up to 100kW as well on boards.

There is mention of it in various places, there are better sources for this kind of thing than the reception 'predictions' of mrdtv.

There is mention of it in various places, there are better sources for this kind of thing than the reception 'predictions' of mrdtv.

Hence why I asked for more reliable info via this thread on boards by asking for clarification about the bits and pieces I mentioned

FYI mrtv got his "prediction" correct for Divis :P Still I did say romour aka unverified opinions :P I couldnt find the links to the other articles but is was only forum based conjecture (probably digital spy forums if I remember correctly)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

Have the Saorview in about 4 weeks now and orginally I was getting 90% signal quality, 85% intensity. Have had a problem over the weeks when trying to watch HD transmissions, particularly sport with the picture freezing periodically.

Heavy rain tonight and signal intensity is down to 78% and the freezing, on all DTT is so bad I had to turn off and watching Ireland game on RTE website.

My installer put in a normal 10 element wideband aerial and new masthead amp etc. The aerial is in the attic. Is this an aerial issue? Would putting a high gain aerial improve the situation, or does the aerial need to go out on the roof?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

mdfire wrote: »
    My installer put in a normal 10 element wideband aerial and new masthead amp etc. The aerial is in the attic. Is this an aerial issue? Would putting a high gain aerial improve the situation, or does the aerial need to go out on the roof?

I'd go with aerial on the roof. Mentioned it here previously.

Signal intensity rock solid at 84% and quality 90% this morning. Its difficult to get an aerial on the roof. Question remains would a better aerial improve on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Signal intensity rock solid at 84% and quality 90% this morning. Its difficult to get an aerial on the roof. Question remains would a better aerial improve on these?

Can you check the signal you're receiving on the the box or do you need a meter? I just bought one of the Bush HD STB's and can't see any info on it regarding my signal quality and intensity, I'd love to know what I'm getting!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Press Menu
    Then select Setup, Installation and Manual Search.
    Then Channel Search.

Page shows present channel number and its sig quality and strength.

Just hit menu to exit without scanning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Booms wrote: »
    Press Menu
    Then select Setup, Installation and Manual Search.
    Then Channel Search.

Page shows present channel number and its sig quality and strength.

Just hit menu to exit without scanning.

Nice one, thanks for that!

Swapped out the 10 element aerial for an 18 element one I got for £13 in Newry yesterday. Doesnt change the readings but it does seem to have stopped the freezing of the picture. Raining hard and pretty windy outside and it does not seem to be affecting the signal. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Are you certain you've found the best spot in the attic for hanging the aerial? Reception can vary widely within an attic and things like leaving it on the floor/rafters of the attic will severely reduce performance compared to suspending the aerial or fixing it to a pole etc.

Are you certain you've found the best spot in the attic for hanging the aerial? Reception can vary widely within an attic and things like leaving it on the floor/rafters of the attic will severely reduce performance compared to suspending the aerial or fixing it to a pole etc.

Its in the position the installer put it, so I guess he knew what he was at. Its also on a bracket and pole so not sitting on the floor

Strange thing is, he has it pointing almost SE whereas I would have though it would go south. Others in the area are pointing south.

Raining hard and pretty windy outside and it does not seem to be affecting the signal.

Why would it? Are there trees in the signal path?

Is it receiving Saorview on UHF channel 54?

Yes there are trees.

Yes its receiving soarview channel 54.

Spoke too soon, last 15 mins of AI final unwatchable due to freezing. Phoning installer in the morning to put on roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭halkar

I got one of those 48 element Aldi aerial. I will be putting on the loft but not picking good signal. My rabbit ears have much better reception. :rolleyes:
    What am I doing wrong or this aerial no good? :D

Useful guide to loft installs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

1. What's the difference between DVB-T1, Saorview & DVB-T2 and where does MHEG5 feature in all of these?

2. And more precisely, what spec is Freeview , Saorview and Freeview HD using?

3. Does Freeview have MHEG5 for their teletext? If not, does Freeview HD?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement