Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAQ: Analogue, DTT, Aerials

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Any recommendations for an internal, powered antenna that can be put in a window and used for saorview? How much would one expect to pay for one of these?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

breathn wrote: »
    Any recommendations for an internal, powered antenna that can be put in a window and used for saorview? How much would one expect to pay for one of these?

Have a look in the Argos catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭zg3409

Powered rarely makes any difference. It's just used as an excuse to charge more.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The Cush wrote: »
    Have a look in the Argos catalogue.
    zg3409 wrote: »
    Powered rarely makes any difference. It's just used as an excuse to charge more.

Been looking at this my self. Getting a new TV next week, currently have a perfect picture on my 10 year old portable with a telescopic aerial thats attached to it, so thinking saerview should not be a problem.

Bought a powered aerial today to try it out ahead of getting the new TV, and nothing.

irish-stew wrote: »
    Been looking at this my self. Getting a new TV next week, currently have a perfect picture on my 10 year old portable with a telescopic aerial thats attached to it, so thinking saerview should not be a problem.

Bought a powered aerial today to try it out ahead of getting the new TV, and nothing.

Were you receiving all 4 channels perfectly with the old aerial? Was teletext working on all channels reliably? Do you get ANY channels at all using the new aerial or even a snowy hint?

Have you attempted to move the aerial around and put it on it's side etc? It would be best to do these tests on TV3 and TG4 rather than RTE1&2.

Old RTE1 and 2 cannot be picked up on some new aerials. This is by design, but it should work in strong signal areas for all new Saorview channels. Even if the new aerial cannot get RTE1 & 2 you should get at least TG4 or TV3 analogue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

What's the deal with RTE and new aerials?

BostonB wrote: »
    What's the deal with RTE and new aerials?

Not sure what you mean but Saorview advice here regarding aerials - http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/step-2-check-aerial/

zg3409 wrote: »

Old RTE1 and 2 cannot be picked up on some new aerials. This is by design, but it should work in strong signal areas for all new Saorview channels. Even if the new aerial cannot get RTE1 & 2 you should get at least TG4 or TV3 analogue.

I was wondering what was this comment all about?

I was wondering what was this comment all about?

I assume he was referring to analogue RTÉ1/2 in the VHF band from 5 of the main transmitters that may be difficult to receive with a UHF indoor aerial, TV3/TG4 transmits only in the UHF band from their respective transmitters. The VHF band will not be used for Saorview.

I didn't know that. Good to know.

• Advertisement

I didn't know that. Good to know.

List of analogue TV frequencies is available here (for the next 4 weeks at least), it shows you which use VHF and UHF - http://rtenl.ie/wp-content/downloads/television-frequencies.pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

apologies if this has been asked already....but will i get a signal if i install a FTA satellite dish in an attic??

fryup wrote: »
    apologies if this has been asked already....but will i get a signal if i install a FTA satellite dish in an attic??

No. Line of sight to satellite required.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

I have a Freeview HD compatible TV that picks up Saorview pretty great off a bog standard indoor aerial.

Need to install a new outdoor aerial for Freeview possibillities,but wondering what is the type to get?

I hear that the Freeview signal(Divis) is UHF horizontal polarisation, while the Saorview(Clermont) signal is UHF vertical.
    Thats great, but what does that mean?
    Will it affect the type of aerial needed?
    Any idea of cost involved?

Am in the Dundalk area so freeview signal shouldnt be an issue...i hope.

Cant wait for quality images!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

fryup wrote: »
    would only work if your attic was transparent to microwaves and doesn't get wet and even then you'd need a bigger dish

it might work if you can point the dish through a window

you can also mount a dish on a paving slab in the garden

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

. . . Need to install a new outdoor aerial for Freeview possibillities,but wondering what is the type to get?

I hear that the Freeview signal(Divis) is UHF horizontal polarisation, while the Saorview(Clermont) signal is UHF vertical.
    Thats great, but what does that mean?
    Will it affect the type of aerial needed?
    Any idea of cost involved?

Am in the Dundalk area so freeview signal shouldnt be an issue...i hope.!

After switchover, Freeview from Divis will all be at the lower end of the UHF tv band (currently known as 'group A' frequencies).

Can only speculate as to what kind of aerial you'll need: maybe something like this 'X' element type or this 18 element.

It all depends on the signal at your particular location, you might need a bigger aerial, maybe an amplifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭lucretiaborgia

Hi,
    I'm sorry if my question seems a bit naive, everybody here seems to be well up on things, but I'm a complete non technical type :-)

Does anybody ever notice that sound sometimes is not exactly in line with the picture on the screen? It seems to happen fairly regularly on all channels and is there anything can be done about it?

Thanks

Does anybody ever notice that sound sometimes is not exactly in line with the picture on the screen?

Some boxes and TV's have an audio delay option for adjusting the delay so this does not happen. Which exact make a model box do you have? Have you checked the manual?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭swoofer

and are you watching via hdmi

Thanks guys for the replies. The TV is a walker WP3261R. I have looked at the manual and so far have not found anything specific bout this issue. Will look again though. There is no HDMI cable. Only the cable from the chimney aerial into the back of the telly.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

I dont think this is an aerial issue??
    Thanks guys for the replies. The TV is a walker WP3261R. I have looked at the manual and so far have not found anything specific bout this issue. Will look again though. There is no HDMI cable. Only the cable from the chimney aerial into the back of the telly.

Thanks

Then I think its your TV that is causing the problem since it sounds like you dont use a separate set top box to receive digital stations?
    What other devices do you have connected to your TV? Do you have sky?
    Are you sure its digital tv that you are receiving? Do you receive the channels RTE 2 HD, RTE Jr, and RTE 1 +1?

Unfortunately I am NOT familiar with walker tvs.
    Maybe check out the menu for sound (advanced option maybe) and see what options are there.
    Sometimes what a user calls a 'user manual' is only a basic TV set up guide? You may find further info/support from the manufacturer?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

Hi Guys, Can someone tell me can i get Saorview or Freeview on this tv.

Philips

Model No. 37PFL 5603DIO

Prod. No. HJ2K0849403287

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

The model no is more likely 37PFL5603D/10. It should work with Standard Definition Freeview if you can receive a signal from the UK.

However, these non-certified Philips gave a lot of problems with Saorview, even those that had the minimum hardware and software.

I dont think this is an aerial issue??

Then I think its your TV that is causing the problem since it sounds like you dont use a separate set top box to receive digital stations?
    What other devices do you have connected to your TV? Do you have sky?
    Are you sure its digital tv that you are receiving? Do you receive the channels RTE 2 HD, RTE Jr, and RTE 1 +1?

Unfortunately I am NOT familiar with walker tvs.
    Maybe check out the menu for sound (advanced option maybe) and see what options are there.
    Sometimes what a user calls a 'user manual' is only a basic TV set up guide? You may find further info/support from the manufacturer?

Of course I should have also said that we have UPC connected up as well. Apologies :o.

To be honest, a friend connected up everything when we bought the saorview tv last year , so I will ask him to look at the setup again to see can we get anything sorted.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Guys, I currently get the BBC and ITV channels on analogue from a transmitter in NI. The TV is digital but Im wondering will I still be able to receive the channels after DSO using the same old aerial?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

muffler wrote: »
    Guys, I currently get the BBC and ITV channels on analogue from a transmitter in NI. The TV is digital but Im wondering will I still be able to receive the channels after DSO using the same old aerial?

Yes, you should do.

On 10 October BBC 2 analogue is switched off and you should get the Freeview BBC channels. On 24 October, all analogue is switched off and you should get UTV & C4 etc. on Freeview.

Do you know which NI transmitter you pick up?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

MarkK wrote: »
    Do you know which NI transmitter you pick up?
    Thanks MarkK.

Im not sure of the actual name or indeed if it is the main transmitter or a relay but it's located just outside of Strabane in Co. Tyrone.

Edit/ I think the transmitter should show up here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Strabane is a relay transmitter & will only carry the 'Freeview Lite' service, as shown in the ukfree link.

All NI transmitters receivable in the south will deliver Freeview via the existing aerial setup. Some systems receiving Divis might not work with the NImux, if that service is also required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

cipro 55 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, Can someone tell me can i get Saorview or Freeview on this tv.

Philips

Model No. 37PFL 5603DIO

Prod. No. HJ2K0849403287

Won't get Saorview. Philips sets with the D in the model number are MPEG2 only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭cipro 55

winston_1 wrote: »
    Won't get Saorview. Philips sets with the D in the model number are MPEG2 only.

MPEG2,, Would that mean i can free view on that set, I''m on the east coast looking across at Carlingford.

Also what about this set, Samsung. Model No. LE26A45ICI

Advertisement