Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DTT: No Channels but have TG4 and TV3 on Analogue.

Options
  • 21-12-2011 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry I don't seem to see a FAQ thread. Can the Terrestrial forum get one, if it doesn't already have one? Can one be stickied?

Question: I have a great reception for both TG4 and TV3 on Analogue, Do I need to get a new Aerial for Saorview?

I ask this as I bought a STB for a family member in Naas, however when I got the STB to scan no channel were found. I thought this was strange but I am now wondering if their Aerial is not UHF???? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

When Byte and I did moderating here we found the forum format pretty poor for publishing and updating an FAQ, so we with two other active members/moderators started the Bytelive wiki.

This then became TechTír ( www.techtir.ie ) Then when RTE had not launched any website but DTT was becoming a reality a less technical version of the Techtir Information was created as www.saortv.info.

These forums were the brainchild of Mr. ICDG http://iolfree.ie/~icdg/faq.htm (WARNING 10 years old!) who has a site, and originally hosted forums someplace else (The Big Board). In about 2001 they moved here as "hosted forums" on Boards and later "donated" to Boards. I think icdg is the only original still modding these forums.

All the DTT questions are answered on www.saortv.ie and now mostly added to RTE's site www.saorview.ie

A FAQ can be done here, but I predict it would either lack answers or degenerate into a 10 page thread where you can't find answers.

To answer your question:
    If you have TG4 and TV3 without "snow", then you probably have a good enough signal for Saorview and something else is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

watty wrote: »
    To answer your question:
    If you have TG4 and TV3 without "snow", then you probably have a good enough signal for Saorview and something else is wrong.

Well strangely in Waterford I was able to pick up Soarview with an indoor aerial in an upstairs bedroom. TG4 and TV3 including the snow (better than the reception I get in Dublin).

The reception on analogue TG4 and TV3 in Naas is really good. The channel names aren't even appearing on the STB???? even with poor reception I have at least got Channel names.

This sticky covers DTT and Aerials
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055605432

But up to 17 pages.

If your T4G & TV3 is really good, then check all your cables, connections and STB settings.

I imagine Naas is Kippure as Naas can't "see" Three Rock. http://maps.techtir.com/dtt-east.htm

FAQ http://www.saortv.info/about/faq/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Elmo wrote: »
    Well strangely in Waterford I was able to pick up Soarview with an indoor aerial in an upstairs bedroom. TG4 and TV3 including the snow (better than the reception I get in Dublin).

The Gallows Hill transmitter in Waterford is a Saorview-only site (afaia). You might have been getting decent reception from there, with the snowy analogue channels coming from Mt. Leinster.
    The reception on analogue TG4 and TV3 in Naas is really good. The channel names aren't even appearing on the STB???? even with poor reception I have at least got Channel names.

Are you sure you're connected to an aerial & not analogue cable? What channel nos. or frequencies are these channels to be found at on the tv?

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Are you sure you're connected to an aerial & not analogue cable? What channel nos. or frequencies are these channels to be found at on the tv?

Not anywhere near a cable area, just outside Naas, MMDS area for Chorus, they have never had MMDS. It is strange. It could be just a wire going up to the roof with no connection to the aerial. But I wouldn't have thought I would get such a strong analogue reception.

• Advertisement

I can pick up the downlead of any of the nearer neighbours' MMDS. Next door is quite strong.

Check that the Analogue channels match Kippure TG4 and TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

@ Elmo

Is there a Sky receiver or other RF device (e.g. vcr) in the setup that might be conflicting with the Saorview frequency?

What does the aerial look like, any of these or this ?

Is the aerial mounted externally or in the attic?

Note most Modulators (in setbox/VHS) will block the channel below the selected channel definitely and can block up to 6 channels.

The Cush wrote: »
    @ Elmo

Is there a Sky receiver or other RF device (e.g. vcr) in the setup that might be conflicting with the Saorview frequency?

What does the aerial look like, any of these or this ?

Is the aerial mounted externally or in the attic?

It is a VHF Aerial. :( It is an external Aerial (TBH I think it is also pointing the wrong way).

No Sky Receiver and no RF Device.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Is the external VHF aerial the only one on the property? A UHF aerial may have been added in the loft at a later date (but maybe you'd know that).

Having said that, I've got decent reception of UHF analogue on a VHF aerial (sideways on) from a transmitter a lot further away than Kippure is from Naas. I only noticed this in passing when I had the dedicated UHF aerial disconnected from the system & it did seem to favour one channel in particular, so there could be some odd frequency selective effects. Generally speaking, all bets are off when you have an aerial of the wrong frequency band and/or pointed in the wrong direction.

Would still be no harm to post the channel nos. so we'll know for sure what transmitter the analogue signal is coming from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement