Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVERYTHING about HPAT and getting medicine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cantona56

drrkpd wrote: »
    Not sure if that comment is politically correct!!

Results do mean that there will be a much different spread of LC marks and as already stated more First Time LC.

Galway 713 means you could get 600 LC (now 560 ) and 153 HPAT and get into medicine- probably around 55th/56 th percentile-maybe someone can confirm?

yea, got 153 55th percentile and 600 points!!!! really scraped the barrel!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

cantona56 wrote: »

Results do mean that there will be a much different spread of LC marks and as already stated more First Time LC.

Galway 713 means you could get 600 LC (now 560 ) and 153 HPAT and get into medicine- probably around 55th/56 th percentile-maybe someone can confirm?

If anyone could pull it off it would be eric.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

I guess the system is a success then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

So say I repeat the HPAT this year and I do worse, can I keep my higher score does anyone know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭ThehPatroniser

Got UCD Med (my first choice with HPAT 173 and LC 558 (590). Overjoyed but very conscious that there are many fine fellow students out there, not just those who wanted Medicine, who are suffering today. It may seem trite to say it but no can really say who will be the better off in the long run. Medicine is a war zone. The lawyers are waiting behind the bushes for every mistake. I really cannot understand the case of the girl who got the 600 in the LC but didn't get Med. What happened to her in the hPat? Was it nerves? Do we now have positive discrimination in favour of boys ?? Anyone interested in sharing a house???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Congrads to everyone on getting their course!:) Unfortuately I just missed the cut off point for medicine. :(I was offered my next choice Physiotherapy in UL.

Im planning on resitting the hpat in 2010 and I really want to boost my points as much as possible to make sure Im guaranteed a place and have no worries like this year. (I know I will improve because I screwed up on the day of the exam and was feeling ill and nervous after finishing mocks the day before). I heard about these hpat preparation courses and does anyone know were they any good and worth the money?

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Congrads to everyone on getting their course!:) Unfortuately I just missed the cut off point for medicine. :(I was offered my next choice Physiotherapy in UL.

Im planning on resitting the hpat in 2010 and I really want to boost my points as much as possible to make sure Im guaranteed a place and have no worries like this year. (I know I will improve because I screwed up on the day of the exam and was feeling ill and nervous after finishing mocks the day before). I heard about these hpat preparation courses and does anyone know were they any good and worth the money?

I went to a preparation course and I'm not sure if it helped me much.I found that most of the things they covered were common sense- but I'm sure it helped some people!

All the best in the future!

Blur wrote: »
    I went to a preparation course and I'm not sure if it helped me much.I found that most of the things they covered were common sense- but I'm sure it helped some people!

All the best in the future!

Ditto, upon leaving the test centre for the HPAT I knew straight away the prep course made no difference. For hours we just went through sample questions and he drilled home about the timing of it, which is fairly ovious anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Got my first choice in Galway - I'm so happy!

Turns out I would of got into any college I wanted with my points, which kind of surprised me.

EDIT: Someone should make a list of who's going where, it would be interesting.

Same here... I'll see you there! :D Could've gotten Trinners with my score, but I'm keepin' it real and heading to NUIG :p

They really should have some sort of interview system for entry to Med. It'd be a logistical nightmare I'm sure, but it'd certainly make things a lot fairer. Although I must admit, the HPAT has definitely improved the whole situation considerably (in my humble opinion).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

Got med in Galway too. Still in shock never expected ta get in with wat i got. I had my appeals all lined up...and now...could not care less!!:pac:

To everyone starting NUIG Med, see you September 14th (not far away:eek:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

cantona56 wrote: »

Delighted you made it and it does prove there is now more than one way of getting in- if only by the skin of your teeth!!!!!

But no-one gives a "monkies" what your LC and HPAT points were- when you are in medical school you will be judged on how you performed there and nothing else!!

Sorry for all the worry you must have had with people (including me) thinking that points would be higher!

Great that people now have SOME idea of what to aim at.

Hahaha, well done!

Who's doing pre-med?? Because I know I am. :)

Yup, definately! Know 2 guys who got into medicine in NUIG last year, one did pre-med and the other one got offered the 5 year course....the 2 of them are now strongly advising taking the extra year! I wouldnt fancy jumping straight in with students who've been there a year already...:)

Cool.I'd like a nice relaxing year too.I'm looking forward to doing Physics since I didn't do that for the LC.

Funny thinking that all the NUIG med people here will probably be friends in a couple of weeks :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

If you reeally want to be a doctor then you really shouldn't care where you qualify from because no-one in medicne does.

I totally understand people with family or financial reasons wanting to stay in Dublin but honestly look at the other threads- some poor people are thinking of UK, Budapest or Ukraine to follow their dream of medicine!!!!

Once you get a place in medical school no-one cares about whether you were pick number 1 or you just scraped it- you will be equal to everyone and will be judged on your hard work in Medical School -not your past LC or HPAT.

I have no connection at all with Surgeons or RCSI as it is known but their graduates are equal to the graduates of ANY medical school in Ireland or indeed UK and it is frankly rubbish to scare people by suggesting otherwise.

So if you are in Medical School -ANY Medical School -CONGRATS - enjoy it and if it is not to your "liking" give it up to the 2,000 plus people who were not successful!!!

PS shouldn't the poll be closed now!!!

^ Inspiring words drrkpd

Well anyways, since I live in Galway I'd be happy to help any med students who are moving here settle in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

WHERE ARE ALL THE TRINTIES!? Damn NUIG punks making us look bad...

Cool.I'd like a nice relaxing year too.I'm looking forward to doing Physics since I didn't do that for the LC.

Funny thinking that all the NUIG med people here will probably be friends in a couple of weeks :pac:

How much Physics do you do in Pre-Med? Is it just the LC syllabus or what? I'm seriously looking forward to taking it up. I really regret not doing it for the LC.

Can't wait to see ye all in NUIG next month :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

A Neurotic wrote: »
    WHERE ARE ALL THE TRINTIES!? Damn NUIG punks making us look bad...

Oh how bout a giant inter-med school brawl...ya know...just to make friends!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Oh how bout a giant inter-med school brawl...ya know...just to make friends!!

OK, except I'm the only one representin' for TCD. Can we make it Dublin Vs The Rest of the World, just like everything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Hahaha, well done!

Who's doing pre-med?? Because I know I am. :)
    Can you do pre-med even if you are eligable for the 5 year course?i don't really see the point in doing the 6 year course when I can do the 5 year.I was talking to one of the Guys from the medicine faculty at the open day and he was really pushing the 5 year course,he basically said that pre med is like repeating the LC doing just the 3 science subjects.

• Advertisement

Can you do pre-med even if you are eligable for the 5 year course?i don't really see the point in doing the 6 year course when I can do the 5 year.I was talking to one of the Guys from the medicine faculty at the open day and he was really pushing the 5 year course,he basically said that pre med is like repeating the LC doing just the 3 science subjects.

I *think* that if you get the points for Med, and you've gotten a HL C3 in two science subjects, you automatically end up in the 5 year course. But I may be wrong...

The idea of doing Pre Med really appeals to me by the way. I really want to have a solid grounding in all three sciences before I launch into medicine proper. Plus, it's going to give us all a bit of a break after the LC, and I worked so hard during my LC year that I really want one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Finished NUIG pre-med 2 years ago so ask away.
    Yes you can. This year (1st year) there were one or two people even who went into 1st year and didn't like the pace of it so they joined the foundation class, although you're better off making up your mind quickly or you could end up having to do a lot of catch-up.
    1fahy4 wrote:
    How much Physics do you do in Pre-Med?
    Just slightly beyond the contents of the LC Physics course, things like Young's Modulus etc.

Foundation year essentially solidifies your basic scientific knowledge and at the same you get a nice introduction to the medical curriculum with your Early Patient Contact & Introduction to Medical Biology modules.

1fahy4 wrote: »
    I *think* that if you get the points for Med, and you've gotten a HL C3 in two science subjects, you automatically end up in the 5 year course. But I may be wrong...

I thought you needed A1s in bioligy, chemistry and physics?

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Finished NUIG pre-med 2 years ago so ask away.

Yes you can. This year (1st year) there were one or two people even who went into 1st year and didn't like the pace of it so they joined the foundation class, although you're better off making up your mind quickly or you could end up having to do a lot of catch-up.

Just slightly beyond the contents of the LC Physics course, things like Young's Modulus etc.

Foundation year essentially solidifies your basic scientific knowledge and at the same you get a nice introduction to the medical curriculum with your Early Patient Contact & Introduction to Medical Biology modules.

Haha, sorry guys, should have done my research before responding :o

Thanks for that! Is Pre-Med a tough year or do things only really start to get difficult in 1st year? I'm so excited about starting, can't wait!! :D

Haha you sound exactly like me! :D Can't remember ever wishing my summer holidays away before! :p:D

Same here!:D You're going to NUIG too, right? I'll see you there:D

Yup! We'll all have to arrange a big boardsie meet up so that we kinda know some people there! :p I dont know anyone going for med there, doesnt bother me tho :) Have you got friends doing it aswel or are ya in the same boat? :D

I know one lad who's doing it, but he did two science subjects so he's probably not doing pre-med! So I don't know anyone really! That doesn't bother me though, just so glad to get a place:D We'll make new friends!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Is Pre-Med a tough year or do things only really start to get difficult in 1st year?
    Yup pre-med is very soft (or atleast I found it so)

1st year is an entirely different ball-game though, and the first semester is quite severe in terms of workload tbh. It lightens off somewhat-so in the 2nd semester.

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Yup pre-med is very soft (or atleast I found it so)

1st year is an entirely different ball-game though, and the first semester is quite severe in terms of workload tbh. It lightens off somewhat-so in the 2nd semester.

Yeah, I've heard bad things about first year:eek: Ah well, it's a whole year away! I'm just glad I'm starting off on a nice easy-going year. I need a break after my LC year:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Mate of mine who got 600 points didn't get medicine :O

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement