Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVERYTHING about HPAT and getting medicine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bazzo26

Zenith23 wrote: »
    8/900? I know that can't be..Do you mean 80/900?

Oh and cantona56, I completely agree. Medicine is an intense course designed for those who work diligently. A good Leaving Cert reflects how one can cope with the Medicine course, not a gift for aptitude tests!

Sorry what I meant was about 800 or 900. 3100 did the HPAT and I think about 17% of the places in Ireland are Trinity. That equals about 530 but considering its the most popular thats where I got the number from. But if you have the points you can eliminate probably 85% of that number, the people who did'nt get the points or a good enough HPAT

Personally I think the HPAT was a good idea because people in grind schools and the like just learn off textbooks and stick it back in the exam. It shows hard work but maybe a lack of intelligence. The new system balances it out. I guarantee when the results come out no one who gets medicine is going to have a bad leaving or HPAT. They'll have done really well in both. I do feel sorry for the 600 pointers who do'nt get it though. Condolences:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cantona56

Critically ill patient arrives in ER needing urgent lifesaving treatment. Is there going to be a sheet of paper selotaped to their head saying 'tick the correct image that comes next in the sequence' and a correct answer will save their life????

NO!!! The doctor is going to recall knowlege that he has learned, studied and remembered, apply it to a tense situation (as he did to a lesser extent in the leaving cert) and save the persons life!!

Hpat may test intelligence but i argue that if you get above 570 points in your leaving cert nobody can say you are not intelligent. As for seemingly silly people with 600 points, dont be fooled!! trust me, they know exactly how they are acting and the majority of them would be professional in a professional setting!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

I think one of the fairest things about the new system is that your Leaving Cert points are counted from the year in which you MATRICULATED. This boring word means that you have to do English,Irish,Third Language,Maths and one or more Science subjects to satisfy the university minimum requirements and is covered on cao page on medical entry and on qualifax.
    See
    http://www2.cao.ie/otherinfo/2009UGMedEntry.pdf

You used to be able to "bank" your matriculation subjects and do any others to get the maximum points. So first time Leaving Certs were trying to compete against people who could choose their best subjects and a few new ones and this was not a level playing field. 16% of medical student entrants to one university were there on their 3rd Leaving Cert!!!
    I would love to know how many medical students were admitted on their first Leaving Certificate but that is never published.

The people who got 580- 600 LC on their first attempt but not sufficiently high hpat must be incredibly disappointed and I feel terribly sorry for them but this system is the new way and perhaps for the above reasons it was changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

cantona56 wrote: »
    Critically ill patient arrives in ER needing urgent lifesaving treatment. Is there going to be a sheet of paper selotaped to their head saying 'tick the correct image that comes next in the sequence' and a correct answer will save their life????

NO!!! The doctor is going to recall knowlege that he has learned, studied and remembered, apply it to a tense situation (as he did to a lesser extent in the leaving cert) and save the persons life!!

Hpat may test intelligence but i argue that if you get above 570 points in your leaving cert nobody can say you are not intelligent. As for seemingly silly people with 600 points, dont be fooled!! trust me, they know exactly how they are acting and the majority of them would be professional in a professional setting!

I love you Erica Cantona!:D

JSK 252 wrote: »
    I love you Erica Cantona!:D

Sound JSK!!:D

As for the matriculation in one year, i completely agree. Much easier IMO to get an A1 in agg science or Biology than maths or english provided you put the work in.

this rule should have been changed a long time ago, but would it not have been better to change only this rule and see how things went for a few years before completely changing the system....as that is what they have done!

• Advertisement

this is the official launch of new system from 2007 press release to explain it- the government works in it's own way!!!

http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=&pcategory=40100&ecategory=41296&sectionpage=12251&language=EN&link=link001&page=1&doc=38904

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭holadivaldfe

it's has been published twice in the times that there are around 480-490 places in medicine.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0814/1224252551581.html

they did say in the first publication in 2007 that they intended increasing the nuber of medical places.

p.s: to the person i said that if your in the top 13% your in the top 310... sorry i mean't 390! still though, you've no need to worry!

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Lolz at "he/she is lazy".

If you want to go around and classify people as such, do at your own peril. You have no idea what may be going on at home with these people, or indeed on the day of the exams. I think you're being a bit short sighted there.

Pal, the LC cycle is two years, the actual exams are "one sitting on one day and it accounts for so much."

;)

I'm not liking the self-righteous tone and smug winking smiley at the end thing, but anyway. Like you said "You have no idea what may be going on at home with these people, or indeed on the day of the exams." The thing is I do know. I know as this is what happened to me in the HPAT, the day of the exam was terrible and alien to me.

Furthermore you cannot categorically say that all people who hit the 500s are not lazy. I'm not saying they all are but you must admit some certainly are and are the kind who may get into medicine due to the current system.

The Leaving Cert is not one day, by the way. It is about 14 days, which is ample time to calm down and adjust oneself during the transition of individual sittings, just to clarify.

Oh, and don't call me Buddy...I am not your Buddy..
    cantona56 wrote: »

My thoughts exactly, couldn't agree more. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Jeebus

Any indication of what will be good enough, lads ? Can we leave the hpat vs Leaving Cert thing behind until the points are out ? I check here to see if there is any news, I'd rather not have to sift through a big argument !

Sorry, maybe I'm just extremely nervous.

Jeebus wrote: »
    Any indication of what will be good enough, lads ? Can we leave the hpat vs Leaving Cert thing behind until the points are out ? I check here to see if there is any news, I'd rather not have to sift through a big argument !

Sorry, maybe I'm just extremely nervous.

Agree the last thread was closed down because of arguments and that would be a shame. People are justifiably nervous and sometimes they say things they normally wouldn't.

I have already posted in this thread my reasons why 737 combined points and above is in my opinion certain to get a medical place.
    I also made the point that for the final places marks are impossible to predict as there will be good LC points and not so good hpat and the reverse.
    There wont be any real news until 6 am Monday morning!!!
    The poll shows some amusing guesses as to the marks required and until then it is all a guess.
    Trinity will remain the highest points is also pretty certain.
    If guesses are allowed (or even useful??) I will have my vote- depends what people want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

I'm not liking the self-righteous tone and smug winking smiley at the end thing, but anyway. Like you said "You have no idea what may be going on at home with these people, or indeed on the day of the exams." The thing is I do know. I know as this is what happened to me in the HPAT, the day of the exam was terrible and alien to me.

Furthermore you cannot categorically say that all people who hit the 500s are not lazy. I'm not saying they all are but you must admit some certainly are and are the kind who may get into medicine due to the current system.

The Leaving Cert is not one day, by the way. It is about 14 days, which is ample time to calm down and adjust oneself during the transition of individual sittings, just to clarify.

Oh, and don't call me Buddy...I am not your Buddy..

Grow up.

I don't give a flying fuck if you classify me, little more than a screen name, as a friend.

I'm pretty sure I was the reason the last HPAT thread was closed, so I'll stop now and not ruin another discussion.

And Zennith23, one day you might just meet a patient like me. Make sure you have some solid facts behind you, because I'm the sort of person who will question how, where, and to what degree you are qualified. I'll also, more than likely, check your mistakes, so make sure you've lost the adjective infused generalisations which you classify as information.

Oh, and calling a patient smug and condescending won't frighten them when their health is at risk.

You're made to be one of those HSE cronies, tbh.

pwn'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 rgnmb

Thank God for the early round.....thats all I'll say...

I don't envy any one of ye.

Anyone heading for UCC?

rgnmb wrote: »
    Thank God for the early round.....thats all I'll say...

I don't envy any one of ye.

Anyone heading for UCC?

You already in on round 0??? has that even happened???....jealous!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 UnDeNiAbLe

ok guys....is 715 enough to secure a place? hell im so woried ...i dont think im gona make it...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Honestly....probably not. I'm on 718 and I'm not too hopeful.

Before round 0! The early round...

For mature students and the like...

Best of luck to everyone. If Monday morning doesn't work out, don't panic, you can get to where you want to go....maybe not just the easy route.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 base individual

Who gets in on round 2 and 3 as oppsoed to round 1? As in how many of the med places will have been designated by round 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Who gets in on round 2 and 3 as oppsoed to round 1? As in how many of the med places will have been designated by round 1?

Works just like any other course.

Say there are 100 places on a course; 100 offers will be sent out by the CAO in Round 1.

If 20 of the 100 do not accept their Round 1 offers by the closing date, then they will lapse, and there is a Round 2; those places will then be offered to the applicants with the next highest points (or by random selection if there are too many applicants on that points level).

If 10 of the 20 don't accept their Round 2 offers, there will be a Round 3; and so on and so forth until all places are filled or there are no more applicants in the chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Zenith23

Grow up.

I don't give a flying fuck if you classify me, little more than a screen name, as a friend.

I'm pretty sure I was the reason the last HPAT thread was closed, so I'll stop now and not ruin another discussion.

And Zennith23, one day you might just meet a patient like me. Make sure you have some solid facts behind you, because I'm the sort of person who will question how, where, and to what degree you are qualified. I'll also, more than likely, check your mistakes, so make sure you've lost the adjective infused generalisations which you classify as information.

Oh, and calling a patient smug and condescending won't frighten them when their health is at risk.

You're made to be one of those HSE cronies, tbh.

pwn'd

HaHa, you're telling me to grow up? Seriously, what are you, some kind of 12-year-old child? Oooh no..you pawned me, I certainly learned my lesson.

You don't even know me, it's just the internet (and I'm just a "screen name") and yet you so immaturely stoop to petty name-calling by characterizing me as a pending HSE cronie. Like, what the hell?

Anyway, let's just leave it at that, shall we?

"will question how, where, and to what degree you are qualified. I'll also, more than likely, check your mistakes"

describes every patient already there! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

HaHa, you're telling me to grow up? Seriously, what are you, some kind of 12-year-old child? Oooh no..you pawned me, I certainly learned my lesson.

You don't even know me, it's just the internet (and I'm just a "screen name") and yet you so immaturely stoop to petty name-calling by characterizing me as a pending HSE cronie. Like, what the hell?

Anyway, let's just leave it at that, shall we?

We shall.

I think you failed to spot my humour.

"Grow up" at the start and "pwn'd" at the end. How odd it is that I leave short, conflicting ideas at the start and the end of my comment? I definitely wasn't taking the piss :rolleyes:

The internet is funny.

Back on topic kids.

Before any more arguments how about the subject of the thread?

All quiet otherwise - people in bed to get 8 hours sleep before 6 am???!!!!
    Or more likely out!!!!
    So best guess appropriate now.

Trinity- highest combined points- easy!

Lowest combined points to get accepted into medical school??
    Well we have the poll (which should close soon!!!)- the audience says 720-729.

Would love to say they are right but my best guess based on my previous posts in this thread is 730.
    Hope for those in 720's I am wrong but that is where I think it will be

EDIT AT 6.17 THRILLED I WAS WRONG!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 StatsMan

A last min guess, just to see how wrong i can b

Trinity - 738
    UCD/UCC - 732
    NUIG - 730
    RCSI - 728

damn what if you're right?! looks like i'll miss out by 2 points! :confused::(:(:(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

holadivaldfe I'm in the exact same boat as you.

Feck off with yer stats lads. :P

Just been told med in RCSI is 715!!!!!!

who? what? when? where? how?

please don't tell me you're getting my hopes up for no reason, i'm shaking here! :o

Unconfirmed...

But let's keep them fingers crossed, eh? eh?

What's your order of preference?

TCD
    UCD
    UCC
    NUIG
    RCSI

everything's crossed!!!!

please post confirmation if you get one, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement