Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing up in Drogheda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Baltrux

We usto play handball in millmount at lunchtime, we were the only 4/5 lads allowed to leave the school when Eugene first came to the mary's, thank god I was only there for his first year we didn't get on, lol! Wonder does anyone still play there?

What about the thatch pub, a few of us lived in cederfield for a while in our 20's usto go in for a few pints and have a laugh, an old fella' pub I know but we loved going in, such an old fashioned place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Baltrux wrote: »
    We usto play handball in millmount at lunchtime, we were the only 4/5 lads allowed to leave the school when Eugene first came to the mary's, thank god I was only there for his first year we didn't get on, lol! Wonder does anyone still play there?

What about the thatch pub, a few of us lived in cederfield for a while in our 20's usto go in for a few pints and have a laugh, an old fella' pub I know but we loved going in, such an old fashioned place!

Used to by can's and an icepop from the fridge / counter there :D
    It's closed now, theres a new place in behind it.

Ah Eugene, lol we called him 'Schvinters' in the ollies, we didn't get along either.
    I would imagine if i was working with him or something today we would not get along either.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Baltrux

I was in it a few months ogo it's huge inside.

Eugene kicked me out of 2 schools and I didn't even attend them lol. My best mate went to the larences and I was up with him on a half day Eugene met us I thought he was messing and gave him a bit of cheek so he grabbed me by the jumper and dragged me off the premises, kicked me off the ollies grounds when I met a girlfriend behind the gym. Have to say I was really nervous when I heard he was coming to the Marys!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

And the memorys of winning everything around us in soccer, oh no wait sorry that was us

Thats not like a Dundalk fan to be living in the past ;)

Anyone remember post Boxing Club and before Man Fridays when the "disco" was held out in the Village Hotel near Bettystown? It may have only been for a few months (1993 maybe?)...but it used to be a good buzz...drinking down in the Sunshine bar and then getting the buses out the the Village over where Eddie Rockets is. Then coming back when it was bright, getting a breakfast roll in that little take away that was where Black Tie is at the bottom of Shop St...cant remember the name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

I'm pretty sure the pub that burnt down on Shop St was called "Harveys"...black front to it, where Ladbrokes is now I think.

Yeah it was harvey's before that it was the viaduct arms. A right ding dong of a spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

Best memories: Schwers basement for the toys, even for an eight-year-old the steps were very tight steep and narrow, Woolworths for cheap ill-fitting clothes, Genoe for icecream (homemade), 50p was considered a lot of money, single cigereetes were sold out of packets in shops, nobody ever bought a case of beer, Harp tasted like Harpic, bosses were called sir, sex was taboo, unmarried mums were disgraced and often shunned by other men unless they were were very pretty indeed, Collins and Connollys shops, Winstons n West Street, The Gwent for a beer, planes flew over the Paddys Day parade, Nobody had a Merc, taxis were bangers, no new houses, the pubs were warmer and better decorated than our homes, white socks were cool, our mums were always at home and dads were never seen.......and a meal out was once a year in the Glenside and you' d be made dress up for it...and the folks made a opera out of paying the bill and a United Nations discussion on the tip which may end in a £5 note being layed on a plate, with our little eys fixed on it....and digital watches costing 5 pounds were cool and you prayed it would last til christmas......the garda on the thosel, and above all .....walking to school...

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭southlouth type

Thats not like a Dundalk fan to be living in the past ;)

Anyone remember post Boxing Club and before Man Fridays when the "disco" was held out in the Village Hotel near Bettystown? It may have only been for a few months (1993 maybe?)...but it used to be a good buzz...drinking down in the Sunshine bar and then getting the buses out the the Village over where Eddie Rockets is. Then coming back when it was bright, getting a breakfast roll in that little take away that was where Black Tie is at the bottom of Shop St...cant remember the name.

That little chipper was called the newyorker ! manky food but bloody lovely when you were hammerd :D As far the craptown fan livin in the past :rolleyes: less said the better .

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭ratsam

Brilliant memories on here.... I spent sooo much of my time in the Witty but my parents never new. We used to sneak in and then send out one of the lads to make sure the coast was clear before coming out...! Gisty's too.. And there was another small arcade across the road from the green man barbers down that little lane. Cant remember the name of it. They used to have a jukebox that I reckon was pretty much stuck on that orgasm song... what was it called... I think it was banned, hence it being put on all the time... it and Leila K Open Sesame...! Hahaha. Spent a lot of time in with Paddy Connor. He was a genius at sourcing hard to get stuff for me. Great guy. Poor fella had a stroke a few years back and stopped selling music. Feck its all coming back. That garden and pond down Scholes Lane. I wonder are the goldfish still in the pond...? A few friends and me where some of the first MTB'ers in the town and used to have great crack jumping off steps in around there. Freeschool lane is another recent victim of recent bad planning. I remember being chased by a Ban Garda on the beat for having no lights on my bike and cycling against the traffic and skipped down free school lane, across Laurence Street and down the steps beside the franciscan church. I hid in 'The band room' (in Drogheda Workspace) for a few hours before leaving my bike there and walking home :D .

I'm 33 now and all of these things only seem like yesterday. Drogheda has changed immensely but I think everywhere has..! In 15-20 years time the youth of today will be reminiscing as we are... I wonder what they will chat about...??? What will change that much that it'll be worth a conversation...????

Brilliant thread... has kept me occupied for the last hour..!

Rats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

anyone remember staffs? good times imo;

ratsam wrote: »
    Brilliant memories on here.... I spent sooo much of my time in the Witty but my parents never new. We used to sneak in and then send out one of the lads to make sure the coast was clear before coming out...! Gisty's too.. And there was another small arcade across the road from the green man barbers down that little lane. Cant remember the name of it. They used to have a jukebox that I reckon was pretty much stuck on that orgasm song... what was it called... I think it was banned, hence it being put on all the time... it and Leila K Open Sesame...! Hahaha. Spent a lot of time in with Paddy Connor. He was a genius at sourcing hard to get stuff for me. Great guy. Poor fella had a stroke a few years back and stopped selling music. Feck its all coming back. That garden and pond down Scholes Lane. I wonder are the goldfish still in the pond...? A few friends and me where some of the first MTB'ers in the town and used to have great crack jumping off steps in around there. Freeschool lane is another recent victim of recent bad planning. I remember being chased by a Ban Garda on the beat for having no lights on my bike and cycling against the traffic and skipped down free school lane, across Laurence Street and down the steps beside the franciscan church. I hid in 'The band room' (in Drogheda Workspace) for a few hours before leaving my bike there and walking home :D .

I'm 33 now and all of these things only seem like yesterday. Drogheda has changed immensely but I think everywhere has..! In 15-20 years time the youth of today will be reminiscing as we are... I wonder what they will chat about...??? What will change that much that it'll be worth a conversation...????

Brilliant thread... has kept me occupied for the last hour..!

Rats

Ah that's sad to hear about Paddy Connor, he is indeed a gentleman. Was great at getting harder to find stuff in frrom Dublin or where ever in the days before mp3's, itunes and amazon. You'd go in to his tiny shop and nit would take an hour to leave with all the chat he'd have and quality cd's to listen to. Was great for kids into dance music too as it was one of the only places you could get vinyl . And he used run buses to all the gigs up in Dublin.

@Trafford Lad , i think I was in the village once but later than 93 maybe? I remember seeing a band called the pale there.

• Advertisement

Yeah it could have been in the mid 90's maybe, I think the Village went on fire at one stage so that probably put paid to that!

Yeah Paddy Connor is a legend alright, I used to be a vinyl junkie so when I'd be ordering the new Oasis or Super Furry Animals single on CD he would get me them on 7" as well. He used to have the walls decorated with 7" singles in the shop under the Green Man. I was speaking to him a while back and he seems fine and in great form, so thats good to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Darlie

Amazing thread!!
    Such memories. Forgot all about McKeons Newsagents, where I felt like a god that when I went in for my Shoot magazine, they had it behind the counter with my name on it!!
    Lucianos. Walking all the way home never a problem, wouldn't walk a tenth of that distance now! Walking or cycling anywhere at any time actually, different times.
    Keep the memories coming folks. We didn't have it that bad at all back in the day, even though we thought we lived in a dunghole!

Ah Nearly forgot The 21 club in the Old Abbey Lane for snooker and amusments, watching the movie Cal, on a sad note, the hunger strike protest at the Thosel with two guys dressing in blankets in a fake jail, Greys bicycle garage, and the guy on Marys Street who would repair bikes in his shed and mind you bike while you were in town for 20p, he'd chain it up for you, what was his name ?....Hoffmans circus in Rathmullen, Mllmount when t was a ruin and closed up, and climbing to the top with the help of mates......( that was the real Millmount.....the free milk scheme in school.....Chopper bikes....bonfires on Bullies Acre.....the 'like to support the polio' guy outside Dunnes....I think that Polio had been practically if not entirely eradicated in Ireland years earlier but I think the money may have been for survivours....""if your not in you can't win''....Bless his soul......Gavin Duffy and Ken Murray the cooliest guys on the planet......Pat mc Entaggert getting into the Guinness book of records....for the punch ball marathon....and then getting buried alive underground in united park....and having to be recused...

Ah does anyone remember getting the free bun every day in primary school??
    I went to St Johns so maybe was only us. WOuld love one of them now yummmmm :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Owen No. 7 Utd

Brilliant reading here, plenty of memories flooding back. I'll try and add a few more for people to think over. Before Hollywood West opened it was called the Carlton restaurant where you could go for tea and scones. I remember going there with my grandfather was I was really young. When the Four Lanterns opened first it was a takeaway only. The seating area that is now was a separate building which was a restaurant called Gulliver's. It didn't last to long and the Four Lanterns bought it and knocked it into one. Joe Thomas shop was like an Aladdin's Cave for kids. He must be a millionaire from all the tennis rackets and balls he sold every year when Wimbledon was on. The record shop at the back of the town centre was called Caledonia Records or something like that which was owned by Joe Thomas son Paul (the hairy guy ). Prior to that he had a place in the abbey centre called Tangerine Dreams. He sold badges, band patches for your jacket, ear rings and stuff like that.
    I can also remember going roller skating in the witty and in the boxing club. As someone has already said "The Good Old Days". Can anyone remember when the punks would sit on the window ledge of the first active building society every Saturday. The looked real scary but they never caused any harm to anyone.

Tangerine Dreams..I remember the shop alright but never knew it was called that...I remember buying Def Leppard & Guns N Roses patches for my denim jacket in there..dont laugh!

I remember getting the milk in school alright and also we used to get Current Buns as well..(St Josephs NS Sundays Gate). Always used to give my bun away..couldnt stand them!

I also remember the film Cal being filmed in the field beside Hillview when I was very young, I remember not being allowed down to look at it. I also remember when the 3 IRA volunteers were shot in Gibraltar the hearses came through the town one evening, there were black flags all along the bridge of Peace and huge crowds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

calex71 wrote: »
    Ah does anyone remember getting the free bun every day in primary school??
    I went to St Johns so maybe was only us. WOuld love one of them now yummmmm :P
    I remember the buns! Loved them. One each at break. Any left over were brought around the classrooms later and given as a reward or to those who had "far" to travel home. We got a free cup of cocoa too, in tin cups :)

just thought id add this http://www.facebook.com/photo_search.php?oid=54054068562&view=all though not all old school still fitting here

Cool....some of those pics are mine! well maybe 2 or 3. I love seeing old pics of the town. I wasnt sure how far this thread would go but really happy that it turned out to be so popular, hope it continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

McPhails before they renovated it in '98 i think.
    Used to love the old back bar. Watched every Ireland match in USA '94 in there which was during my leaving cert too!

Heading to Goodfellas any night of the week, Thicker than water or was it Raincheck? used to play there every sunday night.

Being able to drive up shop st. and across west st. before they made it one way.

The three way bar on trinity st where i had my first pub pint at 15!

The list is endless....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I also remember the film Cal being filmed in the field beside Hillview when I was very young, I remember not being allowed down to look at it.

My grans house in the old abbey featured in it, in a scene where there was check point set up just before the turn down to the 21club.

In the backround you could see a soldier knocking on her door.

If i remember, she was told to expect a knock a few times but not to answer, and she made a few ££ out of too.

kbell wrote: »
    My grans house in the old abbey featured in it, in a scene where there was check point set up just before the turn down to the 21club.

In the backround you could see a soldier knocking on her door.

If i remember, she was told to expect a knock a few times but not to answer, and she made a few ££ out of too.

Remember they filmed a bit up our way too, been so long since i saw the movie , nor sure what part it was. Although I do remember sitting up to watch it on channel 4 when they 1st showed it to see if i could see anywhere familiar. Bet loads of kids did that :D

Is it my imagination or did CHIPs taste better in the old days ???, The Hot Pot used to serve them in little rectangle plastic containers, slush puppies, double sausage burgers wrapped in foil paper, onion rings in batter, ah I remember one night in the hot Pot this guy was trying to pick a fight with me and just about everyone, he looked like he was so drunk even a school girl would slap him around, he was pretending he could not stand was grabbing girls bums etc etc.....anyhow he eventually found a willing combatant.... and they made there way outside....and surprise surprise...all of a sudden he wasn't drunk....in fact he was fighting fit sober....and fought with balance power speed and a viciousness unique to downtown drogheda....the other guy was destroyed....but in real drogheda style the winning Gladiator had the nerve to go back into the shop to collect his chips...''er do you want salt and vinegar with that love "" ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 joker1

OMG I am absolutely loving this thread......

God those were the days when you would go posing down town on Saturdays and walk in and out of the Town Centre a million times. Funily I dont remember the fountain but the coffee gardens I do.
    Loughrens chipper on the way home from the town was great too. Scallops with lots of vinegar and red sauce....yum..

Boxing Club then that night but you'd go to the Subway first. Have a look at some of the photos here....http://www.facebook.com/droghedaboxingclub

Johnos on Magdelene St. on a Sunday when we would get maybe 10p pocket money and you could get loads for that.

Knacker drinking down the glen.....

God Drogheda was great back then....

It seems this thread has caught the attention of both local papers, Page 14 of the Indo mentions it, and fair play to them they dont try and claim it as their own...but some brightspark journalist in The Drogheda Leader...see Page 20 "Drogheda Memories"....seems to have nicked and "cleverly" threaded together various quotes and memories from posters on here and packaged them together as a "new" article.

It has to be seen to be believed! People called "Alan" "Mary" "Gary" "Jane" etc...no surnames! fondly remembering the Boxing Club, Johno's Shop etc..

2/10 for the Drogheda Leader for Lazy journalism. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

It seems this thread has caught the attention of both local papers, Page 14 of the Indo mentions it, and fair play to them they dont try and claim it as their own...but some brightspark journalist in The Drogheda Leader...see Page 20 "Drogheda Memories"....seems to have nicked and "cleverly" threaded together various quotes and memories from posters on here and packaged them together as a "new" article.

It has to be seen to be believed! People called "Alan" "Mary" "Gary" "Jane" etc...no surnames! fondly remembering the Boxing Club, Johno's Shop etc..

2/10 for the Drogheda Leader for Lazy journalism. :rolleyes:

Ho hum, journalist robbing threads and claiming them as their own. Trafford Lad, you should set up a thread about lazy journalists from the DrogIndo and the Leader and see if any journalists pilfer it....

On a side point, isn't that how the hacks in the Leader get all of their stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

I remember Mad Sheila pissing with her kacks around her ankles shouting at passers by on Fair Street when I was on my lunch break from from the Joes at Sunday's Gate.

Also remember running the gaunlet past the Butchens house lest young Stanley come out and puke on you as you passed. Happy times indeed.

Anyone remember Black Friday? Haven't seen him in a bit....:eek:

leader can be seen here http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?referral=other&refresh=J0m213Lq6w0E&PBID=eb89a4df-82ca-4255-b3ba-e3bfbcabe3b0&skip=

Good god the way these hacks have creatively rewritten the quotes from here is up there with stuff from junior infants english class :D

John went to the moorland on saturday. Had had a bun. Times were good. :D

Edit: Att Drogheda leader hacks... Feel free to quote me on that next week :D

I remember Mad Sheila pissing with her kacks around her ankles shouting at passers by on Fair Street when I was on my lunch break from from the Joes at Sunday's Gate.

Also remember running the gaunlet past the Butchens house lest young Stanley come out and puke on you as you passed. Happy times indeed.

Anyone remember Black Friday? Haven't seen him in a bit....:eek:

Is 'mad' Mona still on the go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Surely there must be some law the fact that they are re printing what was posted and not giving a source?!

Bleedin hell, 2 years of multimedia led me to believe this sorta thing would get you in serious do-do!

And btw, no one mentioned the leader, so how are the posters readers? :mad:

Yeah, mona's about, seen her over the weekend with a dog.

She was nearly kicked out or something recently.

I remember the paper saying "Mona, who likes nothing more than to sit in on local cout cases in Dyer Street".
    Like... um, ok? :confused:

Advertisement