Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing up in Drogheda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

sudzs wrote: »
    Never mind Lucianos... what about "Fantasy "Gaah-dens"?!!! :D

Everyone had curry and rice at the end ofthe night and I could never figure out where they got it... any answers?!?!

I don't remember the smell at all... I'm pretty worried about that!!!!

What I do remember

Woolworths pick and mix

Healy's Chemist where the O2 shop is on West St, I remember that place smelled good! The Chemist area was divided from the rest of the shop by a half door! They used to open the upstairs at Christmas and I'm sure Yardley was the most exotic thing there!!!

The dark dismal shoe shop where the Hallmark shop on West St is now

The Carlton Coffee Shop, they had the front coffee bar and the back restaurant. You got ice cream in stainless steel bowls. If you wanted to pee you had to put 2p in the mechanism on the door of the toilet to unlock it.

Mildreds Diner in the Abbey Shopping Centre

What was the take away beside the Coffee Garden called?

The Fish Cart was actually a cart outside Dunnes

I forgot one - being allowed to bring the dog into United Park for the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 joker1

Lollymcd wrote: »
    Everyone had curry and rice at the end ofthe night and I could never figure out where they got it... any answers?!?!

I know you would get a ticket on the way in and you could get food in there with that.....

joker1 wrote: »
    I know you would get a ticket on the way in and you could get food in there with that.....

Damn, it always smelled so good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Lollymcd wrote: »

I think to open late years ago and continue serving alcohol, they had to give the people a meal of some sort to avoid them having to close early.
    I think thats the reason, but could be mistaken, it seemed every nightclub to be in years ago offered late grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Hondo75

Ron Smith ..Saint Peters steps any memories . He ran for election 1987 under GOD party, for bible reading in the dail.. What happened to him?

http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/others-project/1987-general-election-can-you-add-info/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Was he the guy with the mic and did childish paintings on sketch pad as he preached there on saturday afternoon's? Remember him much later than '87.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 In__tuition

Hondo75 wrote: »
    Ron Smith ..Saint Peters steps any memories . He ran for election 1987 under GOD party, for bible reading in the dail.. What happened to him?

http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/others-project/1987-general-election-can-you-add-info/

Before he ventured into preaching he was a multi-millionaire who was in a place crash, totally changed him, think he donated everything to charity and decided on God.

No idea where he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

andrew1977 wrote: »
    I think to open late years ago and continue serving alcohol, they had to give the people a meal of some sort to avoid them having to close early.
    I think thats the reason, but could be mistaken, it seemed every nightclub to be in years ago offered late grub.

You're right, yes, it was a sort of a loophole in the licensing laws at the time.
    Luciano's in the Boyne Valley and the Ross both served mystery meat in curry with rice. I worked for short period at the disco in the Ross when I was 16 and let's just say I was glad i'd never eaten the curry..!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 edmar

Cool Pool in the abbey center. Who remember,s that place

The penny farthing pub

The tallo-ho pub.

Fuschardi,s chip shop narrow west street.

The swings in Domnic,s park.

Mitching from school and getting a lift in a school bus to Bettystown.

Walking on the "Lines" to platin.

Getting chased by Johnny Stafford on Donore road.

Carnival on the Donore Road.

TK Lemonade bottles worth one old penny.

The old Classic,s factory in Marian Park.

Biba,s night club in shop,s street.

Callan,s cool coffee shop.

Greys bike shop.

Teelans and peggy duffy,s shop ,peters street.

Friday night "Hop" in the hall at the top of peter,s street

Abbey cinema on fire .

Before he ventured into preaching he was a multi-millionaire who was in a place crash, totally changed him, think he donated everything to charity and decided on God.

No idea where he is now.

I think he was the security guard in the cinema in the Boyne Shopping Centre, that was a while ago, not sure now!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

I have a vague memory of the Carnival down where the bus depot is as a kid but this must have been way back..1979 - 1981 era maybe?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

So why'd you call yourself Trafford Lad then? Trafford ain't in Drogheda, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

So why'd you call yourself Trafford Lad then? Trafford ain't in Drogheda, is it?

What has his/her user name got to do with the context of the thread???? :confused:

Remember Ron and his preaching, "Ron and God are watching you..!!"

kbell wrote: »
    What has his/her user name got to do with the context of the thread???? :confused:

It was a (rather poor) attempt at humour, pointing out the rather silly penchant that many Irish people have for supporting English football teams. If he's a football fan who grew up in Drogheda, why doesn't he call himself 'United Park Lad' or 'Hunky Dory Park Lad' or whatever TF they call it these days?
    kbell wrote: »
    Remember Ron and his preaching, "Ron and God are watching you..!!"

No, who's Ron?

Well Trafford Lad is the name of a popular Irish Jumps Horse (me liking horse racing and all that)...http://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2009/1102/traffordlad.htmland and yes it also would have a double meaning in that I've supported Man United since I was about 8 or 9. But stop the lights!! I also have a Season ticket for the Drogs as well and have been going up there since the late 80's early 90's. John Toal anyone? Back in the days when they were sponsored by Walkers Hotel..anyway, hope that helps clear up the origin of my username.

Well Trafford Lad is the name of a popular Irish Jumps Horse (me liking horse racing and all that)...http://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2009/1102/traffordlad.htmland and yes it also would have a double meaning in that I've supported Man United since I was about 8 or 9. But stop the lights!! I also have a Season ticket for the Drogs as well and have been going up there since the late 80's early 90's. John Toal anyone? Back in the days when they were sponsored by Walkers Hotel..anyway, hope that helps clear up the origin of my username.

Good man! Hope you didn't take offence.
    I'm more of a rugby fan meself, but I've a good mate who's a big Dundalk FC and ROI fan. It really p**sed him off when more Irish people (mostly in red) turned up to watch MU vs Eirtricity XI than to watch ROI vs Arg a week or so later.

No not at all, no worries - if you are around the town you should take in a Drogs match sometime - although at the moment its pretty torturous stuff!!! - relegation to the graveyard of the first division could be on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭sral1

Go back to the mid 70's, Wimpy Bar in Laurence's st. Lots of bikers, yamaha rd125's . Counted 36 motorbikes outside McPhails one sat nite.:):):)
    I know there's lots of nostalgia around, particularly 80's stuff but thats the era I grew up in so thought I start a thread in relation to growing up in the town as a youth during that time..

* Going "down the town" with your pals and after going through the Town Centre and maybe a trip to the Sound Shop (to buy blank tapes:)) go home because there was nothing else to do.
    * Newsbeat!
    * Johno's shop on Magdalene St at lunchtime.
    * The Sound Shop 2 at the bottom of Laurences St (tapes downstairs!)
    * Playing in the Drogheda & District Schoolboys league
    * School Sports day at the O'Raghalllll O'Ragha...The Gaelic Grounds!
    * Loving the Christmas lights around the town as a kid
    * The Hot Pot
    * The fountain in the Town Centre SC that changed colour
    * People queueing in the Abbey Cinema all the way down the stairs...and the film posters on the walls "Herbie Goes Bananas" "The Hills have eyes"!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I worked in the Hot Pot for 1990 to 1994. I wonder how many of the people on this thread I have served at some stage ?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I worked in the Hot Pot for 1990 to 1994. I wonder how many of the people on this thread I have served at some stage ?? :D

That was a fine establishment indeed. Have to say I was sorry to see that go. When did it close as I remember it up to 2000 or so but feel it was open longer than that?

There was nothing like a chicken burger washed down with a pint next door in the beer garden on a sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Going "down de town for a pose" on saturday afternoons... or Callans for a pose if you were really cool!

And remember the punks on the steps of St Peters. And the 2 or 3 guys who seemed to live on the corner there by the tholsol (sp?) and the AOH tapping for a few quid?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

calex71 wrote: »

Boyneside radio lmao "it's 3 o clock on the radio and it's time for you and me to make a cup of tea, tea, tea, tea for you and me...." at least i think thats how the jingle went???? Please tell me some one else remembers that and in not inventing child hood memories :confused:

Just so you know I remember that jingle very well. Used to love it!
    Mad mad thread, some very funny memories. I don't think i've ever smiled so much reading a thread :D

Just one that sprang to my mind was the world record attempt for the longest ever sausage all the way across West st!! Remember that? Must have been late 80's/early 90's. i was in the ollies at the time and I think it mainly involved the students. Tho I think we made a complete mess of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Boyneside TV wtf was that about :confused:

Couldn't even pick it up in Laytown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Im only 23 and even looking at 14 / 15 year olds from now its amazing how times have changed. When I was that age I would have

Boyne Rugby Training Wednesday and Friday, Blues Football training Tuesday and Thursday, Rugby match sat morning, Gaa Match Monday evening. Soda club friday nights after rugby. Football on the green with the lads from when i got home from school till whoever owned the ball had to go in for dinner. Going the cinema the odd weekend. Collecting for the bonfire was a massive deal.

Any body remember renting a N64 from brookville shop??

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Im only 23 and even looking at 14 / 15 year olds from now its amazing how times have changed. When I was that age I would have

Boyne Rugby Training Wednesday and Friday, Blues Football training Tuesday and Thursday, Rugby match sat morning, Gaa Match Monday evening. Soda club friday nights after rugby. Football on the green with the lads from when i got home from school till whoever owned the ball had to go in for dinner. Going the cinema the odd weekend. Collecting for the bonfire was a massive deal.

Any body remember renting a N64 from brookville shop??

Indeed I do... not to mention renting the Exorcist when I was about 10 from there too... no questions asked... must have looked 18 I reckon... either that or they didnt really give a sh1t.

I remember playing unofficial games for Brookville and even Newfield (drafted in due to my quality haha), playing against the likes of Moneymore and College Rise. Kicked plenty of ball about Westcourt aswell - not to mention scoring from the half way line in Little Wembley, Lourdes Stadium footie was a must, though most of my days were spent in Park View... what a town!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Aardvark1

The Original Cellars. The first time I got in there I got thrown out for getting sick but got back in about 25 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭CarlosK

Aardvark1 wrote: »
    The Original Cellars. The first time I got in there I got thrown out for getting sick but got back in about 25 minutes later.

The original Cellar's, what a place... my mates claim to fame in there is that he managed to fall down a flight of stairs without actually spilling anything from his pint... and I might add that there wasn't much gone from it before he fell. The man's a legend for it now... it's amazing what'll help you achieve hero status.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dunleerfi

What year did the buckets stop crossing over the North road?

Advertisement