Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing up in Drogheda

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bottomdog

Everyone take a bow ! Blogs are forever being lifted by journalists for their 'inspirations' and direct quoting or rewites are all too common. Perhaps a little recognition for us would have be nice. But in truth if what appears in blogs manages to make it into the mainstrem press it shows that the bloggers are on the money when it comes to hot topics. Imaitation being the greatest form of flattery and all that. The press are entitled to take from the blog as it likes thats the legal psotion, but it could and should really have some regard to give the Thread and the Bloggers some credit for originating it.

calex71 wrote: »
    Is 'mad' Mona still on the go?

Have not seen her in ages...but Paddy Mc Cabe is still roaming the streets:)

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

I also remember running the gaunlet past the Butchens house lest young Stanley come out and puke on you as you passed. Happy times indeed.
    :eek:

And his younger brother Derek...equally as scary, and they had a mad dog as well that tried to jump over their wall at you.

calex71 wrote: »
    John went to the moorland on saturday. Had had a bun. Times were good. :D

I read this in work today and burst out laughing..class!..or:

"Mary remembers standing around the fountain with her friends after being in the Coffee Garden and trying to guess what colour the fountain would change to next...it was great fun so it was" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I wonder will the Independent pick up on this now, and maybe run a story on their local rivals journalistic skills?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

And his younger brother Derek...equally as scary, and they had a mad dog as well that tried to jump over their wall at you.

Yes, I meant Derek. Liked to wear red wellies regardless of the weather, perhaps they were easier for Mrs Butchens to wipe down after his puke attacks...:D

bottomdog wrote: »
    Have not seen her in ages...but Paddy Mc Cabe is still roaming the streets:)

Alive and well is Paddy, gave myself and a mate a rendition of an indecipherable Elvis number outside McHughs recently. He had small jar of Coleman's Mustard in his breast pocket. Ever the showman. 'I am Elvis', he told us, 'He's in my soul'.
    He isn't really Elvis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Forza_Dundalk

Is there a fella who lives in Termonfecking called " feckin rath? "
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 irishwarrior

Black friday is alive and well.. recently witnessed his return to form with a perfect rendition of singing in the rain,(song and dance) at kierans corner...legendicon10.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Ah the Drogheda Leader, they've really taken to this thread.
    More memories in this weeks edition. I think they've found some real people to chat with this time :)

• Advertisement

D rog wrote: »
    Ah the Drogheda Leader, they've really taken to this thread.
    More memories in this weeks edition. I think they've found some real people to chat with this time :)

I hope the interviewed Mad Sheila/Mona but I reckon its probably one of their aunties ****eing on about how great it was when West street was cobbled and you could get a barrel made to churn you butter in Gip McGuffins over on Scholes Lane. Or some old codger reminiscing about the time some strange slanty-eyed sailors docked for the night and all hell broke loose in one of the drink holes on the quays 'They knew the karate they did, even though they were small'.

Or, or...no wait - goes and soaks leader in petrol, stuffs in mouth and looks for lighter.....

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Or some old codger reminiscing about the time some strange slanty-eyed sailors docked for the night and all hell broke loose in one of the drink holes on the quays 'They knew the karate they did, even though they were small'.
    Hah brilliant, what an image :D

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk/Launch.aspx?referral=other&refresh=R1x5zH20K1a7&PBID=eb89a4df-82ca-4255-b3ba-e3bfbcabe3b0&skip=

See page 14, some memories of the 'hop' etc.
    And the 'over to you section' too...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Drawda Girl

What a great thread, loads of memories flooding back as I read.

The bicycle repair man on Mary Street was Mr O'Neil and the Shoe Repair place in Shop Street was owned by Jack Breen.

I remember Saturdays spent walking over and back on West Street, posing, meeting up with friends.
    Having coffee downstairs in Callans on Narrow West Street.
    Bubbles Disco on a Thursday night, even though we had school the next day!
    Tassels pub under the Abbey Shopping Centre.
    Rolling down the side of Millmount (never remember anyone getting injured).
    The Handball Alley.
    Playing in John Street before they tore it apart to build the dual carriage-way.
    Buying sweets in Peggy Wilsons shop in Mount St Oliver ( it was in the front room of her house, and she put the sweets into newspaper cones!)
    The Bonanza parade with the big "floats" from Abel Alarms.
    The raft race being filmed by BBC and having to be "re-run" as there was a problem with the filming!! All the rafts went back up the river and the crowd had to cheer them on again!
    Boyneside Radio on the television....I seem to remember a presenter with a fixed camera on him and him ducking under the table to take a bite of his lunch/mars bar etc...
    I saw parts of Cal being filmed at the top of the Old Hill. There was fake snow everywhere. Took hours to film a scene that was about 2 mins long!

Ah do you remember the Taxi Wars at the Rossnaree Hotel and the Boyne Valley. This was when the hackneys arrived on the scene and the regular taxi plated drivers freaked.. it was like slow motion stock car racing as they tried to block and edge each other out of the queue, meanwhile the locals lads battered each other, and kissed girls outside, but most walked back into town in white socks, slim black ties, black slacks, and gelled hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

What a great thread, loads of memories flooding back as I read.

The bicycle repair man on Mary Street was Mr O'Neil and the Shoe Repair place in Shop Street was owned by Jack Breen.

I remember Saturdays spent walking over and back on West Street, posing, meeting up with friends.
    Having coffee downstairs in Callans on Narrow West Street.
    Bubbles Disco on a Thursday night, even though we had school the next day!
    Tassels pub under the Abbey Shopping Centre.
    Rolling down the side of Millmount (never remember anyone getting injured).
    The Handball Alley.
    Playing in John Street before they tore it apart to build the dual carriage-way.
    Buying sweets in Peggy Wilsons shop in Mount St Oliver ( it was in the front room of her house, and she put the sweets into newspaper cones!)
    The Bonanza parade with the big "floats" from Abel Alarms.
    The raft race being filmed by BBC and having to be "re-run" as there was a problem with the filming!! All the rafts went back up the river and the crowd had to cheer them on again!
    Boyneside Radio on the television....I seem to remember a presenter with a fixed camera on him and him ducking under the table to take a bite of his lunch/mars bar etc...
    I saw parts of Cal being filmed at the top of the Old Hill. There was fake snow everywhere. Took hours to film a scene that was about 2 mins long!

Great memories there , and welcome to boards!!!!!!!!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Great thread this! I worked in The Ross back in '97 - what a sh**ehole! Some memories from those days! Is it still open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

Nope, closed down years ago, europa hotel was there then for a while but thats gone a couple of years ago too. Just ruins of the hotel now.

I remember singing down at the town centre with my school choir back in 88/89 era.......Christmas in the town has always being a great time...some of my earliest memories have been based around West St and the lights...and that Christmas tree that used to be up at O'Briens/Maxworth...

Infraction!!! :)......thread of the year..you should be thankful mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Did this trigger all the other 'Growining up in..' threads? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Just remembered a Group I seen on Facebook a while ago.. It's called 'I grew up in Drogheda, but I'm not depressed' :)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=117350610275

• Advertisement

Did this trigger all the other 'Growining up in..' threads? :)

I think so, which is no bad thing, seems people are falling back on nostalgia in these times. It also "triggered" the Drogheda Leader's "Drogheda Memories" section a week or 2 after this thread started. Merry Christmas to the Leader!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 irishwarrior

Talking about xmaS memories,i used to love the huge tree that used to be put up outside Mcdonnells(hardmans gardens) across from the la mirage..great thread by the way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Fuschardi's chips from Narrow West Street, delicious; and the "flicks" every Saturday afternoon in the Abbey Cinema and a snog in the back row, what memories!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 gibster

jesus christ, stanley and derek buchan.... they made my whole childhood a misery. I'd blanked them from my memory, not happy to be remembering them now.

Anyone ever have Mr. O'Dea in 6th class in joes? He was great.

^ Yep Derek & Stanley...Derek was (briefly) in my class at one stage......scary...and that mad rabid dog that they had out in their yard that used to terrorise anyone passing by. Just had a flashback to Loughran's chipper at lunchtime... mad busy..everyone getting chips and scallops-I can still smell the ketchup...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Great thread this! I worked in The Ross back in '97 - what a sh**ehole! Some memories from those days! Is it still open?

It was bought by a bunch of travellers(!) 5-10 years ago, they used it to hold weddings etc and they just ran it into the ground. Never did any maintenance on the building or the grounds.

It's been sitting idle for many years now. There were rumours it was going to be turned into a nursing home but nothing's come of it AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

The Rossnaree was mysteriously gutted by a fire in October this year :
    http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/meatheast/articles/2009/10/21/392107-dozens-of-firefighters-tackle-major-blaze-at-former-europa-hotel/

Bit strange that would happen to a building that's been lying idle for years *cough*.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

What was the awful smell that was in Drogheda years ago ??
    Was it something to do with McDonnells that was along the river near where Scotch Hall is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Sparky84 wrote: »
    What was the awful smell that was in Drogheda years ago ??
    Was it something to do with McDonnells that was along the river near where Scotch Hall is now.

Forgot about that. Think it was part of the process to make margarine or refining the oil they used. It was pretty vile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

The smell was from the Oil Cake, made worse by a southerly wind blowing!

Advertisement