Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accounting or geography??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I'm in the same boat as yourself (going into LC and choosing subjects) and I'll just give my bit of advice, take it or leave it. Don't start changing subjects all over the place...make sure you have some sort of idea of what you want to do, and if you only have a vague idea, keep your options broad. Eventually though, you'll have to make the choice, so it's good to start thinking now. Make sure you're aware which 3rd level courses require what.

Also, it's important to realise geography is by no means an "easy A" and does require work. Only just under 8% of people taking geography last year got into the A region, but 20% of people taking accounting did get an A. Correct me if I'm wrong...but I think this may be that people go ahead and take geography expecting an easy A, don't work too hard and end up with a B or C.

Make sure you don't make a complete mess of your choices whatever you do. I'm in the same boat as you after all, that's just my advice. I'm only going into LC in September myself so I have no personal experience with any of the subjects!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

jumpguy wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as yourself (going into LC and choosing subjects) and I'll just give my bit of advice, take it or leave it. Don't start changing subjects all over the place...make sure you have some sort of idea of what you want to do, and if you only have a vague idea, keep your options broad. Eventually though, you'll have to make the choice, so it's good to start thinking now. Make sure you're aware which 3rd level courses require what.

Also, it's important to realise geography is by no means an "easy A" and does require work. Only just under 8% of people taking geography last year got into the A region, but 20% of people taking accounting did get an A. Correct me if I'm wrong...but I think this may be that people go ahead and take geography expecting an easy A, don't work too hard and end up with a B or C.

Make sure you don't make a complete mess of your choices whatever you do. I'm in the same boat as you after all, that's just my advice. I'm only going into LC in September myself so I have no personal experience with any of the subjects!

What are you choosing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭gaeilge-abú

thanks for the advice!:Dye i know what you mean..thats why im thinking about them alot now!what subjects are you thinking of doing??

I'm always thinking about it but I'm quite sure whatever I go onto do in 3rd level will be in the science route. I have a dream of getting into medicine, but then again, I have my fantasies about medicine and would have to do more research, not to mention the LC points and HPAT.

Anyway I'm meandering off topic: physics, chemistry, biology, German, English, Irish and Maths. Hoping I'll be able to keep up higher level maths, as my Irish leaves alot to be desired (even though I did HL in the JC). For physics I have the option of geography or physics, but I found geography abit dull in JC and after getting some advice I think I'll do physics. Also has chemistry and business, but for science chemistry is definetly more relevant. But remember they're my own choices and everyone is unique so it's every man to himself.

Christ. I know you like to do science, but choosing 3? Jaysus.

That's a bit strong but it's your call. If they're handy then fly on.

• Advertisement

I'm always thinking about it but I'm quite sure whatever I go onto do in 3rd level will be in the science route. I have a dream of getting into medicine, but then again, I have my fantasies about medicine and would have to do more research, not to mention the LC points and HPAT.

Anyway I'm meandering off topic: physics, chemistry, biology, German, English, Irish and Maths. Hoping I'll be able to keep up higher level maths, as my Irish leaves alot to be desired (even though I did HL in the JC). For physics I have the option of geography or physics, but I found geography abit dull in JC and after getting some advice I think I'll do physics. Also has chemistry and business, but for science chemistry is definetly more relevant. But remember they're my own choices and everyone is unique so it's every man to himself.

very good,,you seem to have your mind made up on the whole LC and college front!fair play!:D..im doin all honours!:)..how did you get on in your JC overall??..i kinda take irish for granted as im fluent but id say some find it very tough!..you most be brill at all the sciences then ye!?:rolleyes:

HL Maths takes up a lot of time. About 1.5 hours a night. I could have been capable but said fuck that. I'd rather have time on something else. But you need it for medicine. You're Putting a lot of pressure on yourself. And pressure is for tyres, not students!

wrote: »
    HL Maths takes up a lot of time. About 1.5 hours a night. I could have been capable but said fuck that. I'd rather have time on something else. But you need it for medicine. You're Putting a lot of pressure on yourself. And pressure is for tyres, not students!

it may not be that much pressure for him/her....maybe theyre very intelligent!!:Dhow did you get on in your LC or are you just after finishing it??

I never did it

I never did it

how come??

• Advertisement

Christ. I know you like to do science, but choosing 3? Jaysus.

That's a bit strong but it's your call. If they're handy then fly on.
    From a 3rd level point of view, it's actually the most broad choice I know. Looking at the UCD prospectus for 2008 for example, with all 3 sciences I'm open for:
    - All of the Arts & Human Sciences section
    - All of the Business & Law section
    - All of the Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
    - All of the Science section
    - All of the Agri-Food, Nutrition, Veterinary Medicine & Environmental Sciences

Which, you will find, is all of the UCD prospectus (2008). True, for business and law picking business might be more relevant, but I'm eligible.
    I love science and I'm very interested, the more interested the better I'll be able to learn. I might change my mind, who knows, but that's the way it's looking now.
    Now, are we not meant to be giving this person advice on the choices of accounting or geography or what?

EDIT: I found the JC abit of a hullabaloe over not much to be honest. In JC science I'm hoping for an A but who knows how it could go, I definetly did make a few mistakes on the paper, and who knows about the project. Irish is definetly my greatest ever Achilles heel. If I could go back in time to primary school and tell myself to work hard at it I would. I'm hoping for a C in my JC as I got that in the mocks. I'm also hoping it'll be my only C in the JC unless English goes horribly wrong.

From a 3rd level point of view, it's actually the most broad choice I know. Looking at the UCD prospectus for 2008 for example, with all 3 sciences I'm open for:
    - All of the Arts & Human Sciences section
    - All of the Business & Law section
    - All of the Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
    - All of the Science section
    - All of the Agri-Food, Nutrition, Veterinary Medicine & Environmental Sciences

Which, you will find, is all of the UCD prospectus (2008). True, for business and law picking business might be more relevant, but I'm eligible.
    I love science and I'm very interested, the more interested the better I'll be able to learn. I might change my mind, who knows, but that's the way it's looking now.
    Now, are we not meant to be giving this person advice on the choices of accounting or geography or what?

haha...im sure ill live!!:Dso are you gonna do all honours for the LC??whated you get over all in the JC??

EDIT: I found the JC abit of a hullabaloe over not much to be honest. In JC science I'm hoping for an A but who knows how it could go, I definetly did make a few mistakes on the paper, and who knows about the project. Irish is definetly my greatest ever Achilles heel. If I could go back in time to primary school and tell myself to work hard at it I would. I'm hoping for a C in my JC as I got that in the mocks. I'm also hoping it'll be my only C in the JC unless English goes horribly wrong.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All honours in the LC is an ambitious (with 7 subjects, they only count the top 6) but if you're capable I'd say it'd be worth it.

As said, I don't know about honours Irish. I hope I will. But I dunno how I'd break even a B in it, and would it be worth the amount of time, with HL maths on top of it. You really don't know how much I wish I could speak fluent Irish right now like lol.

I found JC HL maths grand, but that doesn't make LC HL maths less time consuming. I think I'm prepared to but in the time, but it's easier said than done.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

All honours in the LC is an ambitious (with 7 subjects, they only count the top 6) but if you're capable I'd say it'd be worth it.

As said, I don't know about honours Irish. I hope I will. But I dunno how I'd break even a B in it, and would it be worth the amount of time, with HL maths on top of it. You really don't know how much I wish I could speak fluent Irish right now like lol.

I found JC HL maths grand, but that doesn't make LC HL maths less time consuming. I think I'm prepared to but in the time, but it's easier said than done.

oh your just finished your JC?!..i take it your not doin TY then..?ye the JC is blowin way out of proportion!i got all A's and B's in mine!:D:D:D..ha,,ye,,being fluent is sooooo handy cause like it takes the pressure of a subject off ya..thats really why i can afford ta do HL maths!:D..you seem quite focused so fair play!:)

Ohh yeah sorry that's not clear. No I'm not doing TY, I'm going straight into LC. Waiting for the results in September.

How was TY anyway? Was it worth it?

HL Maths at JC is pretty much the same as OL Maths at LC. Take it handy.

Ohh yeah sorry that's not clear. No I'm not doing TY, I'm going straight into LC. Waiting for the results in September.

How was TY anyway? Was it worth it?

oh,,how come you're skipping TY??...em yeah..it was really good i thought and plus it gives you a break from the books!!!:pyup,,its definitely worthwhile!!

oh,,how come you're skipping TY??...em yeah..it was really good i thought and plus it gives you a break from the books!!!:pyup,,its definitely worthwhile!!
    It's not available and I don't think I'd bother even if it was, don't ask my why, just don't want to, I want to get right into it. Besides, I'd hate to see some of my friends going to third level before me. :P

TY is the best time of your life. Shame you would miss such a time. I understand it's easy to lose your brain but so what. When you do it you think it's shit but when it's over you realise how great it was. Sitting there doing F all. Obviously it may be less exciting in some schools. Depends on the teachers.

ahh TY is amazing like...gives ya a lovely break from the books and also to do various modules and wrk exp etc!:Dreally enjoyed it..got TY student of the year!!:D:D

• Advertisement

Right. You're one of those ones!

Right. You're one of those ones!

whats that supposed to mean??

Student of the Year yokes.

Student of the Year yokes.

ahhhryt...sorry about that..it's not my fault i was awarded it!.:(

What did you do more than the next that was so good in TY. Help a old lady cross the road?

What did you do more than the next that was so good in TY. Help a old lady cross the road?

what are you on about??the teachers voted on it and the majority voted 4 me so i got it?!Whats your problem??

Or be a diligent student with a brighter future than the rest of the yobs in your class? :P Heavens no, couldn't be! Anyway, not too bothered about TY. The joys of spending an extra year in school are lost on me I'm afraid.

I couldn't care less. Well done. I'm not holding any grapes.

I couldn't care less. Well done. I'm not holding any grapes.

ahryt!jealousy gets u no where anyway!!:pac:

• Advertisement

The joys of spending an extra year in school are lost on me I'm afraid.

Whatever floats your boat. You'll be out long enough - hopefully.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement