Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accounting or geography??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

galway.gaa wrote: »
    i loved publised accounts:D they were so easy

Yeah, I loved it :D

I was off the balance sheet by about €5,000 so I was happy enough :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 menta

hi!:D
    im just after finishing TY and have to pick my subjects for the lc..so far ive picked ..eng,irish,maths,french,biology and business.
    i dont know what to do about my 7th sublect..my two options are geog or accounting(outside of school with my brother teaching me!-yes he's a teacher!!)some ppl say that geog is an easy points subject but i wouldn't have the best teacher in the world?others have recommended accounting to me cause im good at figures and am a constant worker!?
    teachers have said to me to do geog and accounting but whats the point of the stress of 8 subjects?
    ne ideas on what i should do??:confused:
    thanks!:D

Look nothing is a simple A so don't mind people who say "oh you're bound to get an A in Geography", that's bullsh*t. If you a) don't have an excellent teacher or b) don't have the aptitude for it, you're in trouble.

If I was you in your boots, I'd pick the Accounting. It's a hard subject but you're good with figures and you have you're brother on tap if you're struggling.

Good Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭!

Would HL maths be needed with accounting? I doubt it. It's not about the maths, it's the method.

I chose Geography, Business and Accounting. Didn't want to do accounting but had no choice. It was either that or Construction etc.

Didn't do Art at JC. Wanted to try it. Was told Art was easy and would be able to do it in my own time. Doesn't make much sense. Why would I do it at home when I could do it at LC. I don't think there is much to art at JC anyway but I was somewhat "forced" into choosing something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I was in the exact same position and im just finished fifth year now after picking geography instead of accounting
    I honestly think Geography is easier, its not a doss subject theres work involved but its an intresting subject and things just come naturally

But I'd say to do the subject you like more, most people think that if a subject is easy to do it but end up hating it and not putting much work in

Good Luck :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭gaeilge-abú

I was in the exact same position and im just finished fifth year now after picking geography instead of accounting
    I honestly think Geography is easier, its not a doss subject theres work involved but its an intresting subject and things just come naturally

But I'd say to do the subject you like more, most people think that if a subject is easy to do it but end up hating it and not putting much work in

Good Luck :rolleyes:

What does the geography lc course entail?is there alot of learning and physical geo?some say it's just the jc course but in more detail??is that the case??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

What does the geography lc course entail?is there alot of learning and physical geo?some say it's just the jc course but in more detail??is that the case??
    It's very very similar.

Part A's are worth 20marks, and most JC Students would get 20/20 in them.
    Part B is usually question on 'The Rock Cycle' or 'Plate Techtonics'... Know a bit about each really.
    Every year, without fail, Part C is a 30mk question - "Describe the formation of an Irish landform." eg. Waterfall. Easy guaranteed 30marks really!

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    Didnt come up this year lol
    Global Warming was up twice in the paper!

Once as a part C.... and in the option question it was hidden in the question - Describe how decisions in one part of the world affect another..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I'm just finished and I did the exact same subjects as you, and chose Geography. Tbh, it all depends on what you're good at. The Business, Geography and Biology courses are all quite long, and you just have to learn them, whereas I imagine the majority of the accounting course is more theory based, like how to do the accounts. I didn't do it though, so I don't know.

I found Geography grand, and tbh a lot of it can be done on your own, if your teacher is that terrible. There's a new book out for this year - Exam Skills Geography or something (it's published by Mentor, that's all I know really....EDIT: and I thiiiink it was written by Sue Honan, but I may have made up that name off the top of my head...), which does out answers to heaps of exam questions, with your SRPs (Significant Relevant Points) sort of outlined. I was using it just before the exams and it was really helpful. If you choose Geography, I'd totally get that.

I don't know that it's the 'easy A' it's made out to be, but if you do a good project, and intend to put some work into the rest of it, you're well on your way. :)

I'm just finished and I did the exact same subjects as you, and chose Geography. Tbh, it all depends on what you're good at. The Business, Geography and Biology courses are all quite long, and you just have to learn them, whereas I imagine the majority of the accounting course is more theory based, like how to do the accounts. I didn't do it though, so I don't know.

I found Geography grand, and tbh a lot of it can be done on your own, if your teacher is that terrible. There's a new book out for this year - Exam Skills Geography or something (it's published by Mentor, that's all I know really....EDIT: and I thiiiink it was written by Sue Honan, but I may have made up that name off the top of my head...), which does out answers to heaps of exam questions, with your SRPs (Significant Relevant Points) sort of outlined. I was using it just before the exams and it was really helpful. If you choose Geography, I'd totally get that.

I don't know that it's the 'easy A' it's made out to be, but if you do a good project, and intend to put some work into the rest of it, you're well on your way. :)

thank you!:D..on a different note then,,what did you think of the combination of subjects you had??..did you like them and how do u think you'll do in them?!

blue-army wrote: »
    It's very very similar.

Part A's are worth 20marks, and most JC Students would get 20/20 in them.
    Part B is usually question on 'The Rock Cycle' or 'Plate Techtonics'... Know a bit about each really.
    Every year, without fail, Part C is a 30mk question - "Describe the formation of an Irish landform." eg. Waterfall. Easy guaranteed 30marks really!

And is that the whole exam??:eek:seems kinda easy to me!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

thank you!:D..on a different note then,,what did you think of the combination of subjects you had??..did you like them and how do u think you'll do in them?!

I hated Business. I liked it at JC, but it was mainly the Accounting bit I liked. Didn't like it at LC at all.... But that's probably more just me. Loved Biology and Geography though! :)

As for the combination, meh. It was grand like. When it came to the exams it was pretty intense, because I had no days off at all, but I was completely finished after 7 days of exams, so it was kinda nice that way. If you just keep fairly on top of the work, it's managable - I crammed my way through the exams. I'd say I did well enough, but I was looking for 500+ points, and I don't know if I'll get them. Definitely do some work throughout the year on them all if you're looking for particularly high points, but otherwise they're fairly okay.
    And is that the whole exam??:eek:seems kinda easy to me!:D

That's not the whole exam. That's just the physical question. There's also a regional question, an elective (I did population/human geography) and an option (I did Geoecology).

The exam itself is fairly predictable and the same(ish) questions do come up year after year. If you just practice exam questions, you'll do fairly well. :)

I hated Business. I liked it at JC, but it was mainly the Accounting bit I liked. Didn't like it at LC at all.... But that's probably more just me. Loved Biology and Geography though! :)

As for the combination, meh. It was grand like. When it came to the exams it was pretty intense, because I had no days off at all, but I was completely finished after 7 days of exams, so it was kinda nice that way. If you just keep fairly on top of the work, it's managable - I crammed my way through the exams. I'd say I did well enough, but I was looking for 500+ points, and I don't know if I'll get them. Definitely do some work throughout the year on them all if you're looking for particularly high points, but otherwise they're fairly okay.

That's not the whole exam. That's just the physical question. There's also a regional question, an elective (I did population/human geography) and an option (I did Geoecology).

The exam itself is fairly predictable and the same(ish) questions do come up year after year. If you just practice exam questions, you'll do fairly well. :)

thanks for your help!:D..
    weve already our business course started and we have done all the 'so called' hardest stuff on the course..i.e.the acts and laws..and i love it!:Dhav gottn an A1 in every test this yr! i dont have to learn it,,it's just like common sence to me!
    aww no doubt ull get your 500+ neways;)..what you hopin 2 do in college?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Accounting > Geography for points. Especially is you work relatively hard at it.

Accounting > Geography for points. Especially is you work relatively hard at it.

omg,,:confused:?!..really dont know which one to go for!!..did u do either/both?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

omg,,:confused:?!..really dont know which one to go for!!..did u do either/both?

I did Accounting, and loved it. Had a fantastic teacher who stimulated my interests and gave us reams of information on the subject. She was a Goddess tbh.

On the other hand I have mates who did Geography this year, and and had prepared answers left right and centre from the beginning of the year and apparently were left floundering on the day.

I always thought doing Accounting was the best decision I made on regards subject choice for the Leaving, as it a subject that one can excel in very easily and with a little effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blondiegirl2009

I would def advise u to do geography! Its a really nice, interesting subject. U hav 20% of it done before you go in= a little bit less pressure. I didnt do geog, but i did acc. It was terrible. Even if you know ur stuff, on the day they totally turn things arseways and change them hugely. now theory is big on it, u barely have enough time for the accounts not to mention the theory! I had a teacher who couldnt communicate and told us to do things, yet never explained why. Go for geog. Go for points. okaaay rant over:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

some ppl say that geog is an easy points subject but i wouldn't have the best teacher in the world?

Geography is not necessarily an easy points subject.
    It has one of the lowest %s of As, actually.

Saying that, if you're a good rote learner it's quite nice.

Personally, I liked it (Did it for 3 years, as I repeated) because I'm able to learn off big chunks of essays and such with little effort (Sorry SligoBrewer! Sorry!) but a lot of people find it quite difficult.
    It's tedious enough, but if you're able to learn essays, facts and figures, it's definitely a nice one to choose.

As for accounting, I can't actually give an opinion as I didn't take it myself, but yeah...

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

I say you should do both (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

do accounting. you wont regret it, thank me later:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Crotchety

I'd say you should do both as they are both easy enough. Geography is more or less the same as JC. Obviously there's a bit extra but not that much more really.

I'd drop the biology and take these two. Biology is not an easy subject. Easier of the science subjects but it is still a hard subject. Anyway if you want to do medicine why are you not doing Chemistry or Phys/Chem or Physics? Would that not make more sense?

If I were you I would be choosing Business, Geography and Accounting. Three nice subjects really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

You'll find it much harder to get high points with a bad teacher so I say forget about geography. But why are you doing business and biology when you could be doing economics, physics, chemistry, phys/chem or applied maths seeing as you are a worker and good at figures. Business may be common sense but common sense doesn't always lead to A's or B's. Economics would provide higher points than business for a worker. Phys/chem combination is supposed to be an easy A if you put the work in as it's supposed to be ordinary level physics and chemistry. Ag Science is regarded as 'easy' too. Certainly easier than biology.

I would pick Economics, Phys/Chem, Ag Science. 3 high point subjects :D

pathway33 wrote: »
    You'll find it much harder to get high points with a bad teacher so I say forget about geography.

Definately do Geography and Accounting. Forget the biology and get the notion out of your head that you're going to do medicine. You don't know what might happen.

Business is grand common sense so why make things harder by choosing Chemistry etc... :)

pathway33 wrote: »
    You'll find it much harder to get high points with a bad teacher so I say forget about geography.
    Are you joking?

There's nothing really in the Geography course that's hard to understand.

The first time I did my LC, we had, by far, the worst teacher in our school. In every 40min class, we'd get at most 15-20mins work done. He never gave homework in the whole 2 years! We started our project at the end of April, after the deadline, and spent about 2 weeks doing it.
    The man couldn't control a class to save his life.

Anyway.. I relied upon looking over the sample answers on examit.ie, the night before the exam, and got a B2. Not an A1, but not bad considering..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

blue-army wrote: »
    Are you joking?

There's nothing really in the Geography course that's hard to understand.

The first time I did my LC, we had, by far, the worst teacher in our school. In every 40min class, we'd get at most 15-20mins work done. He never gave homework in the whole 2 years! We started our project at the end of April, after the deadline, and spent about 2 weeks doing it.
    The man couldn't control a class to save his life.

Anyway.. I relied upon looking over the sample answers on examit.ie, the night before the exam, and got a B2. Not an A1, but not bad considering..

yes you are correct for many many students. However judging by the number of questions the OP has posted and the fact it is constantly in bold type suggests someone who benefits from solid direction - something a bad teacher cannot give him/her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

see my option lines are
    -history,business,hme ec
    -biology,music
    -geo,physics,art..

so im definitely gonna do business,its just a matter of deciding whether i should do geo r accounting...or should i do both?:confused:

If you're being offered geography in school, and you would be planning on doing accounting outside of school, why don't you try both for a month and then drop one if you find it tough going? And are you allowed in your school to just not pick one of the geo/physics/art line?
    wrote: »
    Definately do Geography and Accounting. Forget the biology and get the notion out of your head that you're going to do medicine. You don't know what might happen.

Thats.....encouraging :confused:
    wrote: »
    I'd drop the biology and take these two. Biology is not an easy subject. Easier of the science subjects but it is still a hard subject. Anyway if you want to do medicine why are you not doing Chemistry or Phys/Chem or Physics? Would that not make more sense?

Am i missing something, but has the OP said that he/she wants to do medicine? :confused: Anyway, if they are, then they will have an interest in biology which makes it alot easier even though its a very broad course. Personally i found it better to have those subjects that you have an interest in along with those you're doing for high points...makes it less tedious imo.

I did accounting, im good with figures and that sorta thing but i've no interest in business, but it still suited me. I've a friend who is more into the theory side of things, who did geography and accounting. She found geo much easier as she didnt like all the concepts that you need to understand for accounting. I think it'll boil down to whether you can rote learn things or prefer to use concepts/techniques in an exam.

ok,,just to clear a few things up for the readers here!,
    - ive never mentioned wanting to do medicine so i dnt know were yous got this out of!!!
    - im doin business because economics isn't an option in my school!..
    - yes,,my principal is allowing me not to do a subject on the third line as he knows it will be my brother teaching me accounting if i do it.
    - im doin biology because i have alot of interest in it, im very good at it and have an excellent teacher!
    -i might try both subjects at the start of 5th yr and see which i prefer and then drop the other one?!:confused:

Just do whatever you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Mac Masters

I say do both, I did my Leaving Cert last year and got A's in both them, business and biology choose them as well, they are all the easy A's. Music too but only if your able to play an instrument really well! :D

But if you can only do one, I think you should look at what you need, if you want a nice easy B choose Geography but if you need the A then go for accounting. Geography is quite difficult to get the A! Accounting and Music both have the highest no. of A's, with the exception of last year in which a horrible paper was devised for accounting! :( But I got my A so..... :D

Accounting is very touch and go though and very risky, it either is real easy and works out and you get your A or you struggle and it doesn't work out and you get a D or a C! So it comes down to what you need, an A or a B!

Art is also grand and easy and quite interesting too. It is worth a go if you give it some thought. History is obviously interesting as well so it would be up there. Did you think about Physics? THat is an easy enough science subject to take up. But it's your call. We can't decide for you.

• Advertisement

i want ta do a subject that wont be too time consuming as im already doin HL maths,biology and business which are all long courses!!..nope,,not doin physics cuz i dnt wana do 2 science subjects,,im absolutely brutal at art and history is too time consuming im told!..i considered music as i sing and play an intrument-50% practical and all!!but its on the same line as biology and need a science subject!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement