Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

accounting or geography??

Options
  • 19-06-2009 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

hi!:D
    im just after finishing TY and have to pick my subjects for the lc..so far ive picked ..eng,irish,maths,french,biology and business.
    i dont know what to do about my 7th sublect..my two options are geog or accounting(outside of school with my brother teaching me!-yes he's a teacher!!)some ppl say that geog is an easy points subject but i wouldn't have the best teacher in the world?others have recommended accounting to me cause im good at figures and am a constant worker!?
    teachers have said to me to do geog and accounting but whats the point of the stress of 8 subjects?
    ne ideas on what i should do??:confused:
    thanks!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

hey dude, i've just finished my leaving and back in fifth year i actually chose geography, cos i thought it'd be easy. but then we got a pretty bad teacher so after getting my junior cert results back i used them to get out of geography and went into accounting. and it proved excellent and i can tell you i was enjoying the three hour exam this year.
    Accounting is nice, it does make your head hurt for the first time you start a new topic, but if your teacher is any good at explaining it's gonna be ok. there's not a lot of theory, its more about knowing the rules of accounting and applying them to basically every account. plus the layout of the accounts stays always the same and that makes it easy for the leaving cert preparation. for example i can tell you right now that if you'll get a tabular statement question there will be a catch in may, where you'll receive rent and pay for insurance....thats how predictable the accounts are...its really an easy a, if you put the work in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭gaeilge-abú

so u recommend accounting rather than geog?? is accounting not one of those subjects that you either have a good or bad day in though??
    thanks 4 the advice!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Geog is a joke

Do a good project, do exam questions year round and hand them in for correction

Enjoy your B or A

okay,,now im confused..:confused:

accounting or geog?!?!?!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Claypigeon

Are you good at accounting?

• Advertisement

well my brother was my teacher for the jc and he'll b teaching me if i do it 4 the lc..he reckons id b very good at it cuz im a hardworker and have a good understanding of commerce in general..avnt actuali done it yet tho so i duno??

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

geography. i hated accounting! picked the same subjects as u actually. bus,french,bio and accountin... only one i liked was biology. pick geography.

what did u hate about accounting though?aww im confused!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭davestar

geo is easy points . no need for accounting unless you want to do a business course in college . geo = easy points .

ye but is accounting nt an easy A subject??

• Advertisement

of course . as long as your good at it . if your good at accounting i would defiently pick that over geo .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Having just finished the LC, and done both subjects i may be of some use. I personally am extremely business minded, but i found Geog a very easy subject. We had a very good teacher though, that could not be said for Accounting. My teacher was terrible, never pushed us to work, didnt really know hot to teach us. I would definitely recommend Geog.

I would recommend Accounting over Business though if you can do it. Accounting is far easier, theres so much learning in business

ynwa_17 wrote: »
    Having just finished the LC, and done both subjects i may be of some use. I personally am extremely business minded, but i found Geog a very easy subject. We had a very good teacher though, that could not be said for Accounting. My teacher was terrible, never pushed us to work, didnt really know hot to teach us. I would definitely recommend Geog.

I would recommend Accounting over Business though if you can do it. Accounting is far easier, theres so much learning in business

sounds like my accounting teacher :D

thanks ynwa_17 !:D..so after doing them,,you would recommend geo over accounting??..
    in my case..i have a good accounting teacher and not so good geo teacher?
    is geo a subject that i could sit down and learn myself if my teacher wasnt doing a good job??:rolleyes:..
    what do u think ull get in both subjects in the leaving??
    see my option lines are
    -history,business,hme ec
    -biology,music
    -geo,physics,art..

so im definitely gonna do business,its just a matter of deciding whether i should do geo r accounting...or should i do both?:confused:

thanks ynwa_17 !:D..so after doing them,,you would recommend geo over accounting??..
    in my case..i have a good accounting teacher and not so good geo teacher?
    is geo a subject that i could sit down and learn myself if my teacher wasnt doing a good job??:rolleyes:..
    what do u think ull get in both subjects in the leaving??
    see my option lines are
    -history,business,hme ec
    -biology,music
    -geo,physics,art..

so im definitely gonna do business,its just a matter of deciding whether i should do geo r accounting...or should i do both?:confused:

Geog is a subject that you can teach yourself yes, but only if you have decent enough notes. Alot of the questions in the paper you can use common sense and make stuff up.

Im hoping for an A1 in geog, would settle for an A2 though. If i had've worked in accounting sicne the pres never mind the start of 5th year i'd have been aiming for an A1, now hoping for a B but it was a grand paper so i may have gotten higher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Accounting is far from easy! I suppose it depends on the teacher, but I found it hard, and very boring. Very few people get A's.

Geog is 70% about common sense tbh. You get to do a project worth 20% beforehand. Most people get close to full marks for that.
    The economic geography is pretty easy too tbh. You get away with making up facts! Also, the global interdependence option is very predictable, and is worth 20% of the total marks. Global Warming comes up nearly every year, and most of that is common knowledge!

blue-army wrote: »
    Accounting is far from easy! I suppose it depends on the teacher, but I found it hard, and very boring. Very few people get A's.

Geog is 70% about common sense tbh. You get to do a project worth 20% beforehand. Most people get close to full marks for that.
    The economic geography is pretty easy too tbh. You get away with making up facts! Also, the global interdependence option is very predictable, and is worth 20% of the total marks. Global Warming comes up nearly every year, and most of that is common knowledge!

did you do both of them for your leaving?do you reckon geog is an easier subject to get an A in than accounting?
    the thing is..im goin have a good accounting teacher and a bad geo teacher!:confused:

blue-army wrote: »

Didnt come up this year lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

what did u hate about accounting though?aww im confused!:confused:

amazingly boring.. go for it if your interested in doin business after school but otherwise....... be prepared to fall asleep a lot.

amazingly boring.. go for it if your interested in doin business after school but otherwise....... be prepared to fall asleep a lot.

oh ok...well yeah i am very good at all that business stuff and have been told that i have a 'flaire' for business subjects so i dont think id find it boring!

• Advertisement

oh ok...well yeah i am very good at all that business stuff and have been told that i have a 'flaire' for business subjects so i dont think id find it boring!

I'm in the same boat azs you and i found it extremely boring

ok ****!!...so do you think i should go for geog then?!?!:D

dude if your brother will be teaching you accounting(i think you mentioned this earlier in the thread) then pick accounting. its actually very easy once someone is there to explain it to ya. as i said its all the same layout and same tricks all the time.
    also dont confuse your business in jc to accounting to lc. i hated all the ledgers in jc and didnt do question1 paper 2(the pure accounting question) cos i found it hard, but when i tried accounting i found ti much easier and manageable-just common sense applied to principles of business(ie the double entry system)

Mario007 wrote: »
    dude if your brother will be teaching you accounting(i think you mentioned this earlier in the thread) then pick accounting. its actually very easy once someone is there to explain it to ya. as i said its all the same layout and same tricks all the time.
    also dont confuse your business in jc to accounting to lc. i hated all the ledgers in jc and didnt do question1 paper 2(the pure accounting question) cos i found it hard, but when i tried accounting i found ti much easier and manageable-just common sense applied to principles of business(ie the double entry system)

yep,,my brother will be teaching me..es an accountancy teacher in my school actualy but accounting isnt going to be an option inn my yr due to lack of demand!
    ye,,that Q 1 is reli tough!didn do it for the jc but had a good understanding of the othe accounting things for the jc..not sure wat the accounts are called in english cause i do my subjects through irish!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

i did both subjects and i much preferred accounting so if your good with numbers id pick it. with a bit of work it can be an easy A. sayin that if you are a worker geography isnt too bad. alot of people say geog is easy for points but it has one of the lowest %s of A1, i think

galway.gaa wrote: »
    i did both subjects and i much preferred accounting so if your good with numbers id pick it. with a bit of work it can be an easy A. sayin that if you are a worker geography isnt too bad. alot of people say geog is easy for points but it has one of the lowest %s of A1, i think

okay!thank you!still not sure what to pick though?:rolleyes:should i do both?!!

i enjoyed accounting. i did NOT enjoy geog. so i know what id pick. dont do both theres no point doin extra subjects

yep,,my brother will be teaching me..es an accountancy teacher in my school actualy but accounting isnt going to be an option inn my yr due to lack of demand!
    ye,,that Q 1 is reli tough!didn do it for the jc but had a good understanding of the othe accounting things for the jc..not sure wat the accounts are called in english cause i do my subjects through irish!!:p

ha see back in the junior cert i didnt even know what the double entry really was and i always got those short questions wrong that asked me to fill up the t accounts with regards to the info they gave. oh but be prepared to do final accounts, a lo of accounting revolves around profit and loss account and balance sheet. there are also budgets and ratios...from the stuff you'd be familiar on the jc course
    galway.gaa wrote: »
    i enjoyed accounting. i did NOT enjoy geog. so i know what id pick. dont do both theres no point doin extra subjects

i agree...no point in an extra subject unless you take particular interest in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Since I did both Geography and accounting, I'll give you advantages to both of them:

Geography
    - You get to go out for 1 day in 6th year for a field study project.
    - The project you write up for the field trip counts to 20% of your overall mark
    - If your teacher is cool, he/she'll bring you out to look at the flora of your school :pac:

Accounting
    - Accounting questions tend to be repetitive. i.e. If you look at past papers and look at the same type of question but in different years, you'll notice that only the figures have changed. The way of working it out is the same.
    - All accounts are layed out the same.
    - If you like working with numbers and calculating fractions of percentages of numbers, then you'll love it :pac:

Personally, I would take Geography because a lot of the questions in the exam can be general and you can write about different aspects which will get you marks. Also there isn't as much pressure on the exam because 20% is already done from the field project.
    Accounting is not general. If you're told to do a published account in a question, then you have to do a published. There's no way aroound it. And if you don't like published accounts, then it's tough. :eek:

• Advertisement

Larkin501 wrote: »

Accounting is not general. If you're told to do a published account in a question, then you have to do a published. There's no way aroound it. And if you don't like published accounts, then it's tough. :eek:
    i loved publised accounts:D they were so easy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement