Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The almighty me

fair play Donal 1234 glad to see u finally got this far, been watching a few people who were waiting a while, you will enjoy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Transit1

where in donegal are you from

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jeanxx

The medical is as stringent as it is for the fulltimers.

The requirement for eyesight is not less than 6/18, 6/18 correctable to 6/9,6/12, & you can't be colourblind.

If you do fail on this then you can go and get laser surgery if you wish & go back within a certain time frame & try again.

Good luck if you are going for your medical Random :)

& to all the Phase 1 trainees, enjoy the weekend in Templemore. It is brilliant :) The training is so enjoyable & you'll all love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Was hoping the medical wouldn't be as stringest lol .. not to worry !

You don't have the physical though do you as a GR?

Is the recruitment numbers going up for this? Seen an ad in the cinema the last night telling people to join .. never seen any realy advertising for it before (especially in the cinema!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭doingmybit

Random wrote: »
    Was hoping the medical wouldn't be as stringest lol .. not to worry !

You don't have the physical though do you as a GR?

Is the recruitment numbers going up for this? Seen an ad in the cinema the last night telling people to join .. never seen any realy advertising for it before (especially in the cinema!).

Have a quick look back on the posts in here and every questions can can think of has been answered. Just on the physical exam, nope, you don't do that, but the medical is the same. Visit the Garda website and goto the reserve section and it gives you a complete break down of the requirements both medical and education. As for the recruitment numbers, there are 310 attested reserves and i think another 40 in training. 1200 is the cap for the numbers for the reserve they can't go any higher than that 10% of the regular force:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 donal1234

fair play Donal 1234 glad to see u finally got this far, been watching a few people who were waiting a while, you will enjoy it.
    Thanks,I have really wanted to do this,Its a great feeling and at last its going to happen,any advice?:cool:donal1234

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

hi just wondering is the medical as strict as for the fulltime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭doingmybit

shakin wrote: »
    hi just wondering is the medical as strict as for the fulltime?

Please see two posts above your one!!!! it will be answered for you :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The almighty me

donal1234 wrote: »
    Thanks,I have really wanted to do this,Its a great feeling and at last its going to happen,any advice?:cool:donal1234
    No just a positive atitude, also be prepared for 2nd weekend, its intense if you are a little unfit, if ur fit u will be ok, it is all a good experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

Quick question: if you received notification that you passed stage 2 Interview in October just gone when would do you reckon medical would be?? Or have they stopped recruiting? If medical was passed when do you reckon next intake will be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Matt3

doingmybit wrote: »
    Hey, I have a full time job and a family and i manage to fit it all in, no prob.

And a for the second question, every little helps.
    Just a general wondering from me...with your full-time job and family, how many hours do you do, say on a weekly basis with the Garda reserve?

....something i've been curious about for some time? can anybody fill me in?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

20 Hours per month minimum after you Graduate

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

pipsqueak wrote: »
    Quick question: if you received notification that you passed stage 2 Interview in October just gone when would do you reckon medical would be?? Or have they stopped recruiting? If medical was passed when do you reckon next intake will be?

hey pipsqueak. I did my interview with the inspector in Nov and was called about the medical just before Christmas. Will be doing it in Jan, with a view to starting training in Feb. Hope that helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

Do the GR carry the same equipment as the full time force such as handcuff's and ASP's (Batons) ect. ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 The Big E

Yes, Asp if you were trained in it, definitly handcuffs, but new handcuffs are been issued, and some rumour about pepper spray been issued after a training course..]

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jmc1546

Does everyone get the oppertunity to train in the use of the ASP, Pepper spray or are you selected to do so after a term as a GR.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Donal94

Anyone have any idea when the next intake of Garda reserve is? Its advertised on publicjobs.ie but I cant apply? Thanks for any information anyone can give me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Donal94 wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea when the next intake of Garda reserve is? Its advertised on publicjobs.ie but I cant apply? Thanks for any information anyone can give me.

I can't seem to get the form either... is it open or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tosh65

Find it tough at times to balance work committments ,family etc but most of the time its worth it. Just curious if we are going to be granted extra powers in the future. Has anybody heard anything on the grapevine?[/quote]

Its true..its hard to balance everything,family,work,etc...for little or nothing..only an expense on yours and other reserves time and finance.. As for extra powers..haven`t heard anything,and wouldn`t hold out for any in the near future..there`s no commitment at HQ.. I would imaging full time members,would be only to happy to share there work load..
    But here`s the catch 22 hitch,give the reserves more power`s,they will have to increase their min. hours worked,more than 16/month,to allow for paper work,statements,court time,etc..and then,€1k would have to be increased..in this costsaving time..doubt it..

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

is the min 16 or 20 hours?

can you do it in two shifts or do you have to go in four times a month?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tosh65

lehanemore wrote: »

4hrs/week,,or a 8hr shift every 2 weeks..all toll..min.of 208 hrs /year..in what ever way you like to do it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Stay_in_Kampuchea

Who do we ask about the ASP Training Course?!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭pat1187

lehanemore wrote: »

Its 16 hours a roster of which there are 13 in the year,but having said that you can accumulate your hours whatever way suits you and the station. I do two public order nights and a 4 hour Saturday afternoon with my unit each roster.If I find myself doing a Sunday hurling match,or such,I will drop a couple of Saturday afternoons in lieu of the hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Who do we ask about the ASP Training Course?!

What do you want to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 The Skipper

I'm getting the impression you are a Reserve and wanting to know who would know if there are any courses ongoing? As far as I know, the majority of the force are trained in using them at this stage and the current students are trained how to use them in the College. There may be a couple of courses still ongoing around the country but best to ask unit your Sergeant or Inspector. Another forum member may shed more information.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

By the way, has anyone heard when the next phase 1 training weekend in Templemore will be ? I passed the medical in early January, so I'm eager to get stuck into the training...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 padlad88

Next take for reserves is next month....think i was told the 24th but thats a wed so i dunno...im hopin to be going down then...cant wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sallies23

Hi all

I applied for the Garda Reserves and I have a few question I was wondering if anyone could please help me with:

1. Do reserves work weekends only ? or can you work shifts during the week ?

2. How long does it usually take to fully complete the training ?

3. Say if you worked with the reserves for a year and a half and decided to go travelling, can you take a career break ? or would you need to reapply again ?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Sallies23 wrote: »
    Hi all

I applied for the Garda Reserves and I have a few question I was wondering if anyone could please help me with:

2. How long does it usually take to fully complete the training ?

3. Say if you worked with the reserves for a year and a half and decided to go travelling, can you take a career break ? or would you need to reapply again ?

Thanks in advance

Reserves can work anytime they want once you let your Serg. know.
    Training completed within six months from Phase 1
    Not sure if you asked for a career break, I am sure it would be allowed, wouldn't say you would have to retrain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Hi all

I dont think there would be a problem working during the week at all.

Also dont see a problem unless you would be travelling for a year. I think you must do the 208 hours in the year.

Advertisement