Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Training

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

freddiew wrote: »
    Reserves can work anytime they want once you let your Serg. know.

but would it be frowned upon if a reserve came in for 8 hours on a tuesday during the day as opposed to doing a weekend night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

lehanemore wrote: »
    but would it be frowned upon if a reserve came in for 8 hours on a tuesday during the day as opposed to doing a weekend night?

Leahanemore I wouldn't think so . We were told that depending upon individual circumstances rosters could be tailored to suit your needs. We have people in our station who only do week days, due to family commitments.That said the preference is to have Reserves in at the weekend which would be busier.A member of the Traffic Corp told if you get a stint with Traffic the best time to do duty is during the working week as there is more going on ie. checking tachographs,bringing lorries to weigh bridges etc.

The 208 hrs is calculated from the time you start training ie.If you started on March 20th then it would run until the following March and so on thereafter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 in control

Thanks for the reply.

I was told that I will either be in Drogheda or the new district HQ in Ardee when its set up. What duties have you been given and what sort of problems have you received from the other guards?

In Control - Just saw you have been there 2 years. What duties have you been given over your term and also how would you sumn up your experience?

Thanks in advance!
    Generally good . learned a lot of new things and would be quite positive about it overall. 95% of full timers are sound . Recommend you work with one unit if you can as they get to know you better . You have to earn respect but once you do you will be ok . You learn to keep your mouth shut when you would have an opinion . Its like all government bodies , set in its way and slow to change . Rank means a lot which is strange when you come from the private sector . Overall positive. Hope this is of some help..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ifaughthelaw

Thanks for the reply.

I was told that I will either be in Drogheda or the new district HQ in Ardee when its set up. What duties have you been given and what sort of problems have you received from the other guards?

In Control - Just saw you have been there 2 years. What duties have you been given over your term and also how would you sumn up your experience?

Thanks in advance!
    The only thing you have to remember is that your there to assist when your put with one or more gardai.all you have to do is assist them in
    whatever type of policeing they are doing dont take it to seriously
    or you might fall flat on your arse.just remember to step up to the
    mark when it gets physical it will take a while for the guards to trust you.
    have a good time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Sallies23

Hi all

Thanks for your replies, I am waiting on an interview with the inspector now and then the medical, hopefully I will get a start date then soon.

I am thinking of going travelling for one year at the end of next Summer. I just hope that if I do go next Summer that I would be allowed to rejoin the Reserves when I come back and that it wouldn't hinder my chance of applying for the full time force in the future ( provided I do get on well in the reserves )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Sallies23 wrote: »
    Hi all

Thanks for your replies, I am waiting on an interview with the inspector now and then the medical, hopefully I will get a start date then soon.

I am thinking of going travelling for one year at the end of next Summer. I just hope that if I do go next Summer that I would be allowed to rejoin the Reserves when I come back and that it wouldn't hinder my chance of applying for the full time force in the future ( provided I do get on well in the reserves )

Sallie will you let us know how you get on with getting permission to take a year out. Would be interesting to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lancer326

it amases me that a lot of the views on this thread are to the effect that you can work what shifts suit you and with whatever unit you like. that is not the case. you will be assigned to a particular unit and you will work the shifts you are rostered for, i.e. you can't say i'll work so ans so hours this week and so and so hours next week.

plus if you make an arrest during the weekend you WILL be required to go to court where the accused decides to contest the charges. you cannot pass on your obligation to give evidence of arresting onto another full time member 'cause you don't work during the week.

courts do not sit on weekends, so you will be in court during the week between 10.30 and 5p.m.ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

lancer326 wrote: »
    it amases me that a lot of the views on this thread are to the effect that you can work what shifts suit you and with whatever unit you like. that is not the case. you will be assigned to a particular unit and you will work the shifts you are rostered for, i.e. you can't say i'll work so ans so hours this week and so and so hours next week.

plus if you make an arrest during the weekend you WILL be required to go to court where the accused decides to contest the charges. you cannot pass on your obligation to give evidence of arresting onto another full time member 'cause you don't work during the week.

courts do not sit on weekends, so you will be in court during the week between 10.30 and 5p.m.ish.

And you know all this as fact yea ? even though throughout this thread several reserves have said that you can pick when you go on duty.
    You're a what exactly ? A Garda or what ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lancer326

CO19 wrote: »
    And you know all this as fact yea ? even though throughout this thread several reserves have said that you can pick when you go on duty.
    You're a what exactly ? A Garda or what ?

well it's of no consequence what i am or whether or not i am a garda. the point i was making was that the thinking behind the reserve was to assist the full time garda force. i have reviewed the document the reserves are given when they begin their limited training and it said the duty and times it is to be performed would be assigned. if the reserves decided ah sure... i wont work friday nite and sure i dont want to work monday, then the system wouldn't relly work now would it?

for example what happens if a reserve makes an arrest and the accused decides to contest the charges? the reserve has no choice but to go to court to give evidence. so no choice about working during the week. you would be obliged to go to court. that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭The Al Lad

quick question, prolly asked a milion times...do the garda reserve get a badge ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

The Al Lad wrote: »
    quick question, prolly asked a milion times...do the garda reserve get a badge ???

Hi If you mean an ID Badge, YES

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Persol

The Al Lad wrote: »

YES

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Persol

Incorrect. None of the GR's in my division are assisgned to units and are not told when they can and cant work. We inform the sgt. when we can work. Maybe this is different in other divisions or stations. Check your facts before posting.

It really depends here. If you are assigned to a station where the Station Sergent is the man in charge of all Reserves, then you could work with different units. But if you were assigned to a station where every unit looks after their Reserves then you would only work with that unit. But in any case, you can be called to work with other units or even in other stations if need be, ie. when there is a big event going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭stiofanD

I've been 'invited' to attend for the phase 1 training in Templemore on the 21st Feb. I'm trying to figure out the logistics of getting down there and just wondering if someone who's been through it already can tell me what time it all wraps up at on the Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

stiofanD wrote: »
    I've been 'invited' to attend for the phase 1 training in Templemore on the 21st Feb. I'm trying to figure out the logistics of getting down there and just wondering if someone who's been through it already can tell me what time it all wraps up at on the Sunday?

Just wondering i myself am waiting as well, how do they inform you when you are been called for the training :confused:

1 By letter
    2 By Phone Call
    3 By Email

Thanks in advance

stiofanD wrote: »

Finished by 5pm on Sunday

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Just wondering i myself am waiting as well, how do they inform you when you are been called for the training :confused:

1 By letter
    2 By Phone Call
    3 By Email

Thanks in advance

I was informed by email late last week

Thanks. Do people normally come down the Friday and stay in the college on Friday night (I'm assuming that accomodation is provided in the college?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭innercitydub1

Fingers crossed i get a email in the next few days offering me a place for next intake

Does anybody no when the next intake for the reserves is after this months one????

Hi Freddiew, is it 9 to 5 both days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

they only take on about 200 out of 3000 who apply. dunno why that is what would be the most common reasons for not letting someone in?

Hi Freddiew, is it 9 to 5 both days?

I think I remember being there for 8 one of the mornings.

any one no when the next intake after feb is

i was hoping i was going to get a call from the garda for a medical for the feb intake but sadly not

well if anyone nos when the next training intakes are please update me

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DubNorth

Apparently they are opening recruitment for full timers in July, so CS Fitzgerald said last night.

I also asked him about going traveling for few months and he said that your probationary period just gets postponed until you get back so thats good

when i asked did anyone no when the next intake of recruits are for the garda for after the feb intake i meant the garda reserves

sorry

hope someone nos??

when i asked did anyone no when the next intake of recruits are for the garda for after the feb intake i meant the garda reserves

sorry

hope someone nos??

18th of april for the next group to go to templemore

recruitment is going on all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mf1979

I am going for 21 feb intake too.Are you driving or taking public transport.
    If you are driving do you mind giving me lift I can share petrol .I will be waiting for reply

18th of april for the next group to go to templemore

recruitment is going on all the time

Thanks for the info i was thinking they where gonna freeze the recruiting of reserves until after all this stupid recession stuf dies down.

One more question i noticed somebody say they are only taking in 20 out of every 1000 for the reserves that apply

With regards to this does anybody have a figure at how many they refuse at the final stages when your file is giving to the commisoner to give the final nod???

getting quite nervous after such a long wait just reading that has me thinking i will be refused as im waiting a year and a half now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 780 ✭✭✭munster4868

Thanks for the info i was thinking they where gonna freeze the recruiting of reserves until after all this stupid recession stuf dies down.

One more question i noticed somebody say they are only taking in 20 out of every 1000 for the reserves that apply

With regards to this does anybody have a figure at how many they refuse at the final stages when your file is giving to the commisoner to give the final nod???

getting quite nervous after such a long wait just reading that has me thinking i will be refused as im waiting a year and a half now

The time frame of a year and half sounds right - myself had a smooth passage only waited 3 months - But the majority of people waiting for GR waits up to 2 years - You asked why only 20 out of 1000 are successful - well according to the statics - most, that is 75% are eliminated or eliminate themselfs at 1st interview / written test stage - and only a small number are eliminated because of some backround check problem - and a little higher then are eliminated at medical stage. The medical is the same except for the timed physical test for the regulars. Good luck -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 _intothewest

Hi just wondering is anybody else heading to templemore this weekend? :)

Advertisement