Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting with local Sergeant/Inspector and Superintendent

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

CO19 wrote: »
    When you have your meeting with the Sgt and Super do either of them have your GR2 form with them ?

I met super yesterday, and i met the seargent ages ago, i don know where my gr2 is now he didnt mention it yesterday .......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Thanks Tommy ;) just remember reading a post sayin that when someone had their meeting with the Super that he had a copy of their form with him but I think it was from the Garda thread not from this one so maybe they don't use your form for the reserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

I meant it would be an inconvenience for some reserve members with work etc ;)

There are very few Reserve members who want to have powers just so that they can start arresting people. As you say that then possibly means a court appearance, plus loads of paperwork which is not really what reserve members want, but as things stand we are little more than civilians wearing a Garda uniform. If members of the public were aware that you were a reserve, they could tell you to f**k off if you directed them to say move along, could ignore all your instructions etc etc, and you are powerless to do anything about it. Having more powers is about our standing within An Garda Siochana, its about been able to stand on your own two feet, and not having to be watched and babysat everytime your on duty!! Even the GRA bless them, said at their recent annual conference that we served no purpose as we had no powers, and while the GRA would still like to see the back of us, until such a time that we get more powers, we will never be a proper part of An Garda Siochana.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

When you have your meeting with the Sgt and Super do either of them have your GR2 form with them ?

the super I met had mine, he was then going to send it to hq after our meeting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

had my meeting with the sergeant on saturday morning, waiting to hear about medical date now

the process does seem quite slow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭sfhawke7w

it was grand, i know him and have spoken to him before regarding neighbourhood watch etc so was just a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Story1970

I have my meeting with the super next week ! Is this a good sign ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mountain Man

Story1970 wrote: »
    I have my meeting with the super next week ! Is this a good sign ? :(

It certainly is, it will be another box ticked and one step closer to completion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

I am waiting for my interview had it with Sargent already so waiting game now

I myself have put in for exemption as well so here`s hoping they except it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Trebor35

Hi everyone this is my first post. I had my interview on the 3rd of September and got my letter this morning to say l passed amd lm on to the next stage. I couldn't believe it. Does the process take long after getting the letter.

Regards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭tashamc

Trebor35 wrote: »
    Hi everyone this is my first post. I had my interview on the 3rd of September and got my letter this morning to say l passed amd lm on to the next stage. I couldn't believe it. Does the process take long after getting the letter.

Regards
    It really depends, it's different for everyone.. I had my interview dec '07 & found out 2 weeks after the interview that i passed that stage, then i had to wait for my GR2 form to be sent to me which took a while cause i didnt receive the first email :( , so that was in may '08, i completed it (no easy task with a large family!!) then got it signed off, sent it back for head office to do their background check, was waiting on a date for meeting in my local station, that was taking forever to arrange so got back in contact with head office, thay arranged it for me, now we're talking July '08, then got the call the friday before last for my medical, which i had last thursday, they tell you on the day if you pass, which is a gift, all the waiting is soul breaking! And now, sept '08, like 29 others, i finally got my training date, which is next weekend in templemore.. All the waiting around & filling up forms is a right pain in the bum, it's like applying for the KGB (i'm sure!! :)) but when you get your training date, its well worth it.. Happy days!

Hi just had my Interview with the Super yesterday went very well he told me that he would have no hesitation in putting me forward

So where is the next step now is it the medical and after you have had the interview is that the background checking done when you get the all clear from him

He said he did not know when the next intake was but prop November but i would say i will miss that one

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Hi just had my Interview with the Super yesterday went very well he told me that he would have no hesitation in putting me forward

So where is the next step now is it the medical and after you have had the interview is that the background checking done when you get the all clear from him

He said he did not know when the next intake was but prop November but i would say i will miss that one

Your meeting with the Super would have been an informal meeting and therefore just a way for him to guage your characteristics & general suitability really, glad to hear it went well for you :)
    All of your immediate family would still have to be screened though and that's where the background checks are carried out (which may or may not take some time, pending numbers & locations etc).

You will have the interview first and then upon successful completion of that, you will receive a date for your medical...hope this helps in some way and good-luck with your process :)

Thanks for the reply

Which interview are you referring to and where do you go to do this one i thought the first was with the Sargent in the local station then the next one was with the Inspector or Super of that division

Am i missing something i have done the written test and the interview with the public jobs one as well

I was not aware there was another can you tell me more thanks

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply

Which interview are you referring to and where do you go to do this one i thought the first was with the Sargent in the local station then the next one was with the Inspector or Super of that division

Am i missing something i have done the written test and the interview with the public jobs one as well

I was not aware there was another can you tell me more thanks

no once you have done those interviews your next step is the medical ... not long more to go by you now eh

<my bad...didn't know you had the written&formal interview done already>

Thanks for the reply i was not sure if there was another interview that i was missing was starting to get worried there

So the next step is the medical do you know how long after all the interviews that the medical takes by any chance thanks ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 djpaddy

Just had interview with super today,seem to have went well took about 20 mins weather thats a good sign or not i dont know, its all just a waiting game now i expect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Bored-Stupid

Hey folks,

Was just in the local station there meeting the Garda to verify my application. I have passed the written and interview, completed my GR2 form and sent it off so I think my next stage is the medical. The Guard said that they are doing a big push on to get people in early next year so I dont think anyone outstanding will be missed. She said "due to numbers for the full time force applications being dropped they are compensating by introducing more reserve members",

Sorry just thought I would give my 2 cents!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭doingmybit

Hey folks,

Was just in the local station there meeting the Garda to verify my application. I have passed the written and interview, completed my GR2 form and sent it off so I think my next stage is the medical. The Guard said that they are doing a big push on to get people in early next year so I dont think anyone outstanding will be missed. She said "due to numbers for the full time force applications being dropped they are compensating by introducing more reserve members",

Sorry just thought I would give my 2 cents!!

You have one more interview (meeting) with your local super.
    Maybe so, but still under the act that regulates the Garda Reserve the number can't exceed 10% of the regular force.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post on boards. However I have been a regular reader of this thread since I applied to join the Garda Reserve back in early 2007.

I did the interview/report back in February, filled the GR form and sent it in March and met the local sergeant last week.

I wonder how long would it take to meet the superintendent? and how do they contact you? is it by phone?

Also does anyone know about the coming intakes? it seems I would not be going to Templemore very soon ( Interview with Superintendent, medical and of course background checks)

Thanks a million

• Advertisement

Is their any truth that the meeting with the Super for the reserves can take anything upto 20mins? When I applied for full-time lastyear my meeting was only 10-12mins ... is it because the reserve interview was only 25mins as opposed to 40-50mins for full-time?

Am I reading too much into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Abed wrote: »
    The other thing I'm worried about is the state of my teeth (couple of crowns) I wonder how strict is the medical test re: teeth? I heard even from the full-timers thread that in many cases they don't ask you to open your mouth at all! does anyone have something to say on that
    Don't check your teeth for the Reserve, they only do that for the full time med (sometimes).

They do, had mine checked and so did a mate of mine who did it a few weeks ago...probably just depends on the doctors on the day if they really want to nit pick you :D
    kerry4sam wrote: »
    Is their any truth that the meeting with the Super for the reserves can take anything upto 20mins? When I applied for full-time lastyear my meeting was only 10-12mins ... is it because the reserve interview was only 25mins as opposed to 40-50mins for full-time?

Nah I don't know of anyone who's meeting with the super went on for that long and if it did it was nothing to do with the initial interview only being 20 mins or so,don't stress about it,I'd very very much doubt it'll go on for more than 10/15 mins ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hacknabush

They do, had mine checked and so did a mate of mine who did it a few weeks ago...probably just depends on the doctors on the day if they really want to nit pick you :D

Nah I don't know of anyone who's meeting with the super went on for that long and if it did it was nothing to do with the initial interview only being 20 mins or so,don't stress about it,I'd very very much doubt it'll go on for more than 10/15 mins ;)

Well that all depends on the individual interview. When I had mine it lasted for more than an hour as we had common interests. The Sgt came in after about 40 mins to see if I was alright, more the super me thinks ( I suppose being not fully cleared at that stage ye never know what was goin on behind closed doors)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

Hi Guys,

I'm onto the next stage, passed interview and written exam.. Gave inn Back Ground check...The Sargent wants me to see him this week... Any tips what happens etc.. No medical yet...

Thanks to all, Who have posted info in the past....:cool:

McJ....

the meeting with the super can take 50 mins, mine did, we were talking about growing spuds and how it leads to too many of them being eaten and the amount of butter one can get through in one sitting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Am I reading too much into it?......YES!!

Mine was passing the supt on the strairs in the station
    ''o your nga?''
    ''yes sir''
    ''good stuff, you want to join up''
    ''yes sir''
    ''good stuff, off you go so'':D

Depends on the supt but mostly depends on what your local garda/sergeant said about you in his report. I'd be worried if it was an hour long not 30 mins!

Suppose knowing the supt help too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭KIERAN61

lehanemore wrote: »
    the meeting with the super can take 50 mins, mine did, we were talking about growing spuds and how it leads to too many of them being eaten and the amount of butter one can get through in one sitting :D

Probably a test of your interpersonal skills and a gardening lesson to boot.Hope ye used real butter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mc Jakester

redzerdrog wrote: »
    ok i applied on line the other day for this. when should i hear back and what is the first step ect.???

Thanks in advance

*I first applied some time in Feb 09, Got letter with interview time late Feb 09.
    *Interview 26th March 09 Dublin area.
    *Letter arrived that I passed Interview and exam April 2nd.
    *Filled out Back Ground check same day and dropped into station.
    *Sargent wants to meet this week, he said back ground check should be back by then. He wants to meet for 10mins to fill out another form???

Any pointers what happens at this stage?? Anybody.. Thanks McJ :)

OK, it can depend on your GR2 and what's in it.

In my case he read through it and picked out different things from it like jobs I've had and hobbies, holidays etc, he knew a few of my relations too so that was more to talk about.

that's what he/she will have to go on

if you're spoofing be good at it :rolleyes:

helps to bring the paper with you too for while you're waiting outside the hatch, makes you feel like less of a criminal :D and you can talk about the news of the day if all else fails:pac: red tops probably not a good idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abed

Hi Folks,

I have my interview with the superintendent tomorrow. did the one with the local sergreant only 10 days ago. does that mean they are accelerating my application as someone suggested on this thread before? or is it normal? how long does it normally take between the superintendent interview and medical?

Also any tips what to wear? is it a formal interview? what to keep in mind? any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement