Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve Experiences

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wetgarden

CO19 wrote: »
    But if reserves were given the power of arrest for public order etc would that not mean that you would have to go to court as a result which would mean a major inconvenience for some members ? I think that's why reserves can't arrest people for stuff like that.

If you have these powers, indeed a court appearance would be part of the process but how would that be a major inconvenience for other members???:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

wetgarden wrote: »
    If you have these powers, indeed a court appearance would be part of the process but how would that be a major inconvenience for other members???:confused:

I meant it would be an inconvenience for some reserve members with work etc ;)

I meant it would be an inconvenience for some reserve members with work etc ;)

Oh sorry. A misunderstanding. Apologies:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Lilibet

But if reserves were given the power of arrest for public order etc would that not mean that you would have to go to court as a result which would mean a major inconvenience for some members ? I think that's why reserves can't arrest people for stuff like that.

I feel that the thinking behind not giving powers is because e.g if a nurse who is a reserve has to spend a day in court following an arrest,an agency nurse,who is expensive by all accounts, would have to be employed to cover her duty hours and that would have to be paid for out of the Garda budget.Likewise a teacher or any other employee whose employer would have to cover for the reserves absence.Any employer would not want to be expected to foot the bill and if all this has to be paid for out of the Garda budget,it would leave less for fulltime policing on an ongoing basis.
    Also,is it expected that the employee get paid for the days absence from work due to the attendance at court and does that come from the Garda budget also?
    Perhaps I'm wrong but maybe thats the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Bren1609 wrote: »
    Did anyone see the front page of the examiner today calling for the Garda Reserve to be scrapped?

Here is the link.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2008/04/30/story61635.asp

Starsky & Hutch is on TV tonight for all of us :rolleyes::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Link does not work I'm afraid

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

freddiew wrote: »
    Link does not work I'm afraid

Link fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭freddiew

Yes, Idid see that one just thought it may have been another one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Story1970

Are reserve members permitted to carry their ID whilst not on duty ?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

Story1970 wrote: »

earlier in this thread someone said it was supposed to stay in your locker in the station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭Murphy(Cork)

You're allowed take it home, but don't dream off taking it out with you i.e. night out, If that is lost, huge security issues arise.. If you get a Locker at the station, i say keep it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

Story1970 wrote: »

Reserves are permitted to carry their id while on duty and also while going to and from duty. As stated in the Reserve handbook.;)

tucker1971 wrote: »
    Reserves are permitted to carry their id while on duty and also while going to and from duty. As stated in the Reserve handbook.;)

Do you only get this booklet when you are qualified or can it be accessed somewhere else. Just wondering because it would be good to know all of the rules/regulations that apply and also what exact powers you have. Seems to be alot of differences of opinion out there. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

I have just completed my first year as a Garda Reserve, but lately I have started to get very disillusioned with the whole thing, as I feel that this whole concept in its present state is going nowhere, and I was just wondering what other reserve members, or even full time members think? As a concept the Garda Reserve has potential, but like most things in this country, it is not been utilised properly, as in its present guise we are nothing more than civies in uniform, with little or no powers, who have to be watched constantly by our full time colleagues anytime we are on duty. In December of this year the very first intake of Garda Reserves will complete their probationary period of two years, but at the end of this period they will still have the same pathetic powers, and will be no better off than a Reserve starting out on his probationary period. Therefore if the Garda Reserve is to survive, the powers that be have to start giving Reserves more responsibilities and powers, say after two years they get Public Order, third year they get section 23, and so on, with Reserves getting more powers as they progress. By giving Reserves more powers, will allow us to stand on our own two feet, to be held accountable for our actions, and only then can it be seen if the Garda Reserve is truely working or not, as it is most definitely not working in its present format.[/COLOR]

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

its a flawed concept in its present state,, because as it stands reserves are no benefit to us as serving members. in fact they can be a hinderance.. ive been pulled away from a job to go out with the reserve as there was already 1 in the station and 1 in the car ...

ive been taken off goin out wit the student who in my mind is a higher priority to go out with a reserve.. this isnt a blast at reserves as people but as how there utilised.. ..
    i think they should be given more power.. because as it stands they have little more power than a civilian.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

I'm probably wrong but my thinking behind the reserves was they are a cheap way of putting feet on the street. I dont mean that ina condescending way but for years the public cryed out "we never see gardai on the beat anymore" "we never see gardai in our estate anymore" thus bringing in the reserve on the beat and into estates makes the general public feel safe.

The general public dont know that it is a Guard and a reserve walking around they are just happy and feel safe that there is 2 Gardai uniforms around.

I think giving reseves "powers" is a non runner with the powers that be cos thats not what they were brought in for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

I said before that the reserve needs powers thus standing on their own feet and being able to make a decent contribution. I also like the idea of phasing in the powers but I wouldnt go overboard with it as it could get confusing.

However remember that even without Garda powers your still an extra pair of hands and that in itself can be a benefit to fulltime members. I know I have used reserves in situations where manpower was low and it helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

Might be a bit off topic, but I was a military police reservist, I had full powers of arrest and was armed on occasions for gate duty, reports on traffic accidents etc, etc basicall the same as the regulars.

Does anyone know what the UK & USA police reserves are like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

In the UK reservists are called Special Constables.

From the Met Careers site:

"The MPS Special Constabulary is a force of volunteers who work with and offer support to regular Metropolitan Police Officers, providing a vital link with the people of London’s 32 Boroughs.

Afforded the same powers as regular officers and wearing the same uniform, Specials are everyday people who are prepared to give up at least eight hours of their spare time each fortnight to do something positive for themselves and their community.

As a Special you will be involved in all aspects of policing London, enjoying a variety of roles and carrying out such duties as:

Foot and vehicle patrols
    Anti-Robbery initiatives
    Working in schools to talk about safety and crime
    Assisting in the event of accidents, fights and fires
    Road safety initiatives
    House-to-house enquiries
    Helping safeguard public safety and security at local or major events
    Presenting evidence in court
    ‘Hotspot’ operations to tackle underage drinking, criminal damage and nuisance/public disorder
    Offering crime prevention advice and promoting property marketing initiatives.

While you won’t be paid for your time, your travelling expenses will be covered and you will receive an allowance for refreshments bought while on duty. You will also receive your uniform, together with a further allowance for footwear.

In addition, your training and duties will provide you with a number of intangible personal rewards. Interesting experiences, new friends, additional skills, a sense of achievement – they all ensure that you benefit from your time as a Special as much as the community you serve."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 remmurts

Vas_Guy wrote: »
    ...but I was a military police reservist, I had full powers of arrest and was armed on occasions for gate duty, reports on traffic accidents etc, etc basicall the same as the regulars...

In Ireland? In the FCA?

• Advertisement

I said before that the reserve needs powers thus standing on their own feet and being able to make a decent contribution. I also like the idea of phasing in the powers but I wouldnt go overboard with it as it could get confusing.

However remember that even without Garda powers your still an extra pair of hands and that in itself can be a benefit to fulltime members. I know I have used reserves in situations where manpower was low and it helped.

I would hazard a guess that most reserves probably work a Friday night or Saturday night, so at the very least Reserves should be given public order powers, and over time relevant powers should be phased in such as section 23, section 3 and 15. I do agree that we do not require the entire suite of Garda powers, just enough for us to stand on our own two feet, and be thus accountable for our actions. This I feel would have the effect of making the regulars more comfortable at been sent out on the beat with a reserve, and would make the Reserves feel like they were making a valuable contribution, rather than just been a civvie in uniform who has to be constantly babysat, which is all we are at present. Anyway I won't hold my breath, as I think we are all aware of how slowly things move in this organisation, but hopefully the powers that be will give us the opportunity to make a valuable contribution to An Garda Siochana, through more powers and better utilisation of reserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

remmurts wrote: »
    In Ireland? In the FCA?

Yes and I'm proud of it.

I've done all the regular training and had the same powers as regualr MPs I've done UN courses with MPs from overseas.

And we were the red brets like the PDF

The RDF MP units are smaller units unlike the infantry and tends to have a more mature membership

gilly2308 wrote: »

I would hazard a guess that most reserves probably work a Friday night or Saturday night,.

Not in my experience. The hours worked depend on what suits their main commitments such as family, work and friends. Between those 3 weekends are usually not available for reserve work. The exception being the younger people that are looking to step up into the fulltime position or people that work strictly 9 to 5 weekdays.

Not in my experience. The hours worked depend on what suits their main commitments such as family, work and friends. Between those 3 weekends are usually not available for reserve work. The exception being the younger people that are looking to step up into the fulltime position or people that work strictly 9 to 5 weekdays.

Karlitosway I was probably basing my assumption more on my own experience, as my Skipper has little or no interest in reserves working during the week, and would prefer us to work Friday or Saturday nights when more manpower is required, which is fair enough I suppose, as there is no point in coming in when your not needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

the reserves in our place can pick which days they work but have to work with a particular unit, is that the same for u Gilly?

i think the reserve was rushed in as a bit of a PR stunt and a way to get numbers up. i dont see a problem givin powers after a probationary period as long the lads on reserve are accountable for their actions like the rest of us.

bryanmurr wrote: »
    the reserves in our place can pick which days they work but have to work with a particular unit, is that the same for u Gilly?

i think the reserve was rushed in as a bit of a PR stunt and a way to get numbers up. i dont see a problem givin powers after a probationary period as long the lads on reserve are accountable for their actions like the rest of us.

Same here, they are assigned a specific unit and must pick hours that the unit is actually working but they can make requests to switch if they need to.

Im not saying they dont work weekends just that there isnt a much higher number of reservs at the weekend than any other time except maybe 6am on a tuesday morning for example.

bryanmurr wrote: »

Bryan,
    The station I am in has only got two reserves including myself, so we are not been assigned to a particular unit until such a time that there is one reserve for each of the four units, with the result that we tend to 'float' between all of the units. While you are allowed to pick which days you want to come in, it is not the busiest station in the world, so it makes more sense for all concerned for us to come in at the weekends. I do agree that the whole Reserve concept was somewhat of a publicity stunt, and a way of getting more uniforms on the street. However since they have gone to all this trouble to set up the reserve, why don't they utilise reserves properly, by giving them sufficient powers, and making them accountable for their actions. Only then can it be seen if the Reserve is a success or not, for in its present format, it serves a very limited purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I must admit I remain unconvinced about the reserves, I see members babysitting them on the beat, I mean its a totally different ballgame for them and I think they seem to get in the way in our district, especially on public order work. They're described as immature, volatile and agressive and a bit stuck up. Some members are fed up to the back teeth with them.

But it could well be different in other places. I've no personal experience of working with them, I'm still plugging away in Traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭fermoyboy

I'd be of the same opinion as Chief. I'm not a big fan of the reserves based solely on what I've seen in my station. It could be just down to the particular people themselves but I feel they are of no addition to the unit.

Our guy works every late Saturday and Saturday of nights and it's a rush for people to get out the door without being stuck with him!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Uh oh *cringes*

Advertisement