Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regarding recent unfortunate events.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭Mullicker

• Registered Users Posts: 39,540 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Suited - Please stop posting nonsense. The BBV is for that kind of thing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Chopper

DeVore wrote: »
    Aye Drakar, I've a headache the size of Kansas from this sh*tstorm in a teacup.

The fact that we worked, hard, to get agreement with the mods should speak volumes. There is no disrespect here, just disagreements which have been and are being settled.

The biggest problem here was a lot of people not knowing when to keep their big traps shut quite frankly, both inside *and* outside the poker community. That makes finding a solution to a simple problem a LOT HARDER.

The admins and the mods have focused on the important things and are not going to be derailed. They have our backing and we have theirs.

I dont know what more you want from me.... a poem? :)

DeV.

Fair play DeV - I wouldn't have wanted to be in your shoes the last few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

Agreed, a poem from DeV and it's all behind us imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Suited

KevIRL wrote: »
    Suited - Please stop posting nonsense. The BBV is for that kind of thing :pac:

All good, it was a response to other nonsence. anyway, I see that it's been removed under the weight of the monster. I promise to post 95% in relation poker moving forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭Dearg81

You really gotta love boards, you open up a thread about a plane going missing with hundreds of people missing and everyone is having a laugh, theres's LOL's and ROFL's everywhere.
    Then you open up a thead about a poker thread going missing with hundreds of peoples posts going missing and its like World War 3.

:confused:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Looking down at aces,
    The flop brings no help to him
    Stupid runner runner.

there, a haiku, will that get us back onto the topic of poker :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

Looking down at aces,
    Stupid runner runner.

DeV.

Nope, you may write a sonnet bout everythin that went on the weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

is it just me or is it actually silly for ppl requesting that "any mention of their names be removed" from this.

like can i go around different forums and ask any mention of me to be removed for the craic?
    like is it a fashionable thing to do now days?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Gholimoli wrote: »
    is it just me or is it actually silly for ppl requesting that "any mention of their names be removed" from this.
    Yes. Silly in the extreme.

/me shrugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Gholimoli

Looking down at aces,
    Stupid runner runner.

DeV.

this is crap Dev ...come on man even i could do better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

Looking down at aces,
    Stupid runner runner.

DeV.

DeVore fails the test
    Now we want a proper one
    Simple haiku please

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Feeling sad because
    some men want to watch world burn
    feel like chucking it all.

:(

DeV.

Feeling sad because
    some men want to watch world burn
    feel like chucking it all.

:(

DeV.

That's powerful, but........you're getting closer..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

man, Looking down at aces,
    Stupid runner runner, chicken donar

DeV.

FYP. well I didn't

Closing statement ;)

Bad beat thread got locked
    poker guys got pissed because
    some bad eggs played up

CHD went mad
    Got banned over sausages
    Like that’s all it was

Now we have it back
    Let us close this chapter off
    And we all move on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Small Change

tea cup, storm, ice chills
    calm descends, peace, don't poke her
    frost lingers in shade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭RichieLawlor

YULETIRED wrote: »
    FYP. well I didn't

Wait till he finds out you hijacked his name 'elsewhere'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

I wasn't sure where to post this, if mods feel it's better suited to Dev's thread then feel free to move it.

I just wanted to make some observations on the implications of what has gone on over the last few days.

Firstly I'll admit I was updating and following all the threads as much as anyone over the last few days :rolleyes: but at the end of the day it’s just not that important (we all knew this and yet we couldn't resist it which is very weird).

Nobody likes to see mates being treated badly and I think that’s what really escalated this whole furore. The mods got treated badly and nobody was going to take that lying down, especially not a bunch of contrary poker players! There has always been an inherent problem in having the primary Irish poker forum hosted on boards which was ignored in the early days due to Dev’s own involvement in the game and with this forum (we had access to the guy at the top and he was willing to listen). Indeed in the early days this forum facilitated raids by online gaming types into the "real" world of poker and it didn't act as the central bulletin board for the community at all. For instance we could talk about played like Player X without fear of it getting back to him! Nowadays people wouldn't even know who Player X is!!!

It's a credit to all those involved that boards has evolved into the primary information source and community hub for poker that it has.

But the reality for me is the poker community should be hosted independently and solely for the purposes of promoting and facilitating Irish poker - that's no slight on boards but when the community gets to a certain size it really should have it's own place. I've seen this with other forums on boards as well such as airsoft and other rapidly growing hobby boards. Poker has come along way in a very short space of time and we shouldn't ignore that.

Poker in general also has a big problem in that it's never been properly organised or codified and is just a series of sectional interests looking to make money from the game. If there was a governing body or a Union or whatever it would absolutely have its own online forum and that would be the natural place for this community to be hosted.

The situation now is board’s poker forum now has the critical mass and it will be hard to get any independent forum up and running. This is not the place to discuss how that should or could be done.

Boards has in the past been much too slow to give the poker forum its head with new sub forums etc. Things have improved recently but it’s still a bit restrictive and occasionally this leads to problems.

Another unfortunate reality is that whilst I welcome everyone onto boards there are a growing number of immature posters who really just like stoking up popcorn threads and posting nonsense in every second thread. The old days when everyone knew one another and treated everyone with a bit of respect and tried to promote the game has long gone. Poker is at its peak and it’s a different phase to what existed 2-3 years ago which is something we can’t stop but it has had some nasty side effects. This helped magnify some of the problems in the last few days imo.

This whole thing will blow over but it won’t be forgotten and the challenge for those interested in trying to promote an independent poker forum and indeed poker community will be to provide better content and to clearly illustrate the benefits of that independence to the community as a whole.

The challenge for boards will be to better nurture a number of specific forums that have grown up on boards.ie in a way that encourages the communities that have been built/facilitated around them to stick around and to feel that they can continue to grow here without feeling stunted.

I hope we can all learn lessons and that things improve. History to date has shown great improvements in Irish poker so there are plenty of reasons to be hopeful.

GL

Lets not mention punishing actions on other sites here eh? fnck we could have the perfect storm then! :p

I retain, if nothing else, at least a sense of humour.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

Lets not mention punishing actions on other sites here eh? fnck we could have the perfect storm then! :p

I retain, if nothing else, at least a sense of humour.

DeV.

Don't worry Dev it was all in good humour, I used your Username as my own to feel powerful and omnipotent. It didn't work so I changed it back to Solksjaer and felt even more powerful. You'll be happy to know your mods love you more than marmite toast and guinness. I had a mental picture of you at you laptop all weekend with the head in the hands. It amused me somewhat I'm sorry to say.
    PS Yer Well needs to be viewed so all can see you are quirky but not a bad guy. (neither was Cromwell to some :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

tea cup, storm, ice chills
    calm descends, peace, don't poke her
    frost lingers in shade

Could someone fill me in? What was the nature of the trolling in the Bad Beat thread - as far as I can see it's been pretty much without a stable structure for years. I can't see how a poker thread of all things could become the grounds for a full scale slanging match... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Dirk_Diggler

Someone able to give a brief summary as to what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭carfax

Someone able to give a brief summary as to what happened?

Post Numero uno;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055595086

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

Haiku Are Simple
    But they Often Don't Make Sense.
    Hippopotamus

• Registered Users Posts: 39,540 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

lee_arama wrote: »
    Haiku Are Simple
    But they Often Don't Make Sense.
    Hippopotamus

Threadless much Lee?

minizoom.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

KevIRL wrote: »
    Threadless much Lee?

minizoom.jpg

Well my haiku has been my email sig for aeons now. And sure tis waaaaaay funnier than the others.

And I miss the cricket. Two matches a day, and then...nothing.

Saffers a cracking price against Pakistan IMO btw. They've been eerily unstoppable this WC, even after Inja whipped them yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

Never mind the haiku I expect to see Dev playing himself in a dramatisation of an epic poem based on this mighty incident performed by the boards drama group he participates in in real life. Others actors in it may be...

Lazare - Richard Perle (Svengali leader of the modern American neocons)
    thedini - Chris Ardis
    CHD - Chris Ardis (showing his versatility)
    Deki - John Locke
    5starpool - Brad Pitt
    Ste05 - George Clooney (just noticed the '5' in both poker mods names, watched Angels & Demons yesterday, the number 5 was significant to ...The Illuminati - makes you think doesn't it?
    LuckLlyod - Oh come on, if you don't know it's Brian Blessed you are not a BBV reader!
    Kevirl - Elizabeth Fritzel (wife of the latest in a long list of great Austrians Josef Fritzel)
    Laf - One of those Japanese WWII soldiers thinking they are still fighting 40 years later
    Kinetic^ - Arnie in black leather and shades
    Gordon - Don Quixote
    Thaedydal - Beruthial
    Beruthial - Thaedydal
    Boston - Gary Coleman
    G*** *** - Chris Ardis in a wig and a badge on him
    Admmm - Wimbledon afc

Maybe wait until Christmas and put it on as a panto.
    Crowd: "Hey mods he's behind you"
    Admins: "Oh no I amn't"
    Crowd: "Oh yes you are...right actually, our bad"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I missed out on most of the drama and just read the locked feedback thread a day or two ago. To say i was tilted reading it is a vast understatement. To see such childish, belittling responses from 2 of the most respected posters on boards.ie was no less than shocking. Absolutely disgraceful, sniding comments befitting of a child that added nothing of value to the debate at hand. aI'm extremely disappointed to see such petty behaviour from people who are meant to be the figureheads of the boards.ie community.

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

So ... which is the better hand, anyway, a full house or five aces? I've already asked that three times this week, and nobody seems to actually know? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement