Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regarding recent unfortunate events.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I understand you can't be here all the time thats not the issue I have. The issue is, when all hell broke loose and when the feedback thread was eventually allowed the poker forum mods were attacked. Nothing was said to the offenders. It was like boards as a whole were finally getting their chance to have a go at the poker forum. Where is the apology for this?
    There's a thread on Feedback at the moment, that's more an appropriate place to discuss that imo.

I made a mistake in my rashness of thread-moving, seeing a mod-accepted forum attack I moved the thread out of poker. If I could do it again, I certainly wouldn't have moved it out, I would have locked the thread and contacted the mods, that was an error on my part. But that's something that I can say I learned from this, keep tabs on the flash-judgements more :)

Hopefully this will only make your community stronger, along with all the other communities here. If people are still unhappy and don't wish to post on boards anymore then it is a great shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

That thread really wound me up, but mainly because of the mods from other forums coming in pretending to know what they were talking about when in reality they were just there to stir the sh1t. Oh, and I really don't like that Beruthiel, he/she needs to get off the internet power trip.

Aside from that though, I think some of the responses in this thread to Devore have been a bit harsh. He's come on here and admitted that mistakes were made, held his hands up and apologised, and is doing everything in his power to restore things to their previous state. I mean what more do you's want?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

People can believe what they want of me but the mods know the truth and my efforts to fix things come from my personality of wishing to do the right thing and be fair to all people I deal with. I'm not responsible for everyone, I can't control what they do or say or take offence to. I'm going to do what I think is right and patching things between the admins and the mods here in a way that addressed eachs concerns is what I thought was right. If you dont believe that, you dont know me and I'm too tired to care right now.

DeV.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On the issue of the perception of people ganging up on us, as was said there were mods who did stick up for us, and there were mods who didn't.

As the end of the day, as much as the criticism from those that seemed to have little experience of the poker forum annoyed me, the fact that the admins and ourselves have come to a common position is enough for me.

There will be people that don't like our forum or our modding style. As long as those people are not admins then I don't care. Vilifying others is not going to help the situation, and people have formed opinions or hardened them based on the event of thr last few days. We are not going to let others be vilified here, but as far as I am concerned, fair comment is ok.

We appreciate the blanket support we have received from you guys, and it is your opinion and the admins opinion that matter to us at the end of the day.

Everyone is doing their job as they see fit. If people don't agree with how it is carried out (whether it is us, or mods in other places) report posts. It may seem futile, but this is not the first time it has happened on the site, and it won't be the last I;m sure. People have opinions. We don't want people silenced, but we do want to try and move on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

zuroph wrote: »
    Im all up for personal opinion, but the packhunting displayed by some is ridiculous. it wasnt well-rounded opinions, it was mud-slinging attacks and condescending "you really dont get it" rubbish.
    You get that on the internet. You get it IRL too.

I didn't know squat about online communities when I joined Boards. I still don't really, Tom over there has more understanding of them in his left big toenail than I have in all my brain.

But I do understand something about RL communities and building / supporting them, I've worked in that area most of my working life. And the more I see of online ones, the more I realise that there isn't much difference between the two. Oh, technical issues certainly, and people being one step removed by a computer screen, and things like that.

But people are still people, and they still take different views, and get in a strop, and get snappy with one another, and lose the rag, and regret it afterwards. It's a shame, I'm kind of partial to calm civilised discussion myself, preferably with a giant leavening of humour and bad puns! :pac:

Life is far too serious to be taken seriously imho, for our own sanity.

Anyway, I don't especially want to be poke(r)ing :p my nose in here, I'm not a regular. Well, not in Poker anyway, I am in tCN!

>_>

/ducks

Glad to see a happy ending. Glad to see the old mods back, good bunch. Hope this brouhaha gets remembered as long as The Great English Paper II Disaster over in the LC forum did!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Im not trying to villify anyone. Their comments are there for all to be seen. What Im asking is WHY didnt the admins at least show some sort of respect towards the pokers mods at the time of all this happening, like they do when any other mod is called into question? I mean how come the abuse toward the mods wasnt called to a halt, it happens if any other mod is abused in feedback and proof of their mistakes/bad moderation is asked for? Why not for our mods?

Similarly, where is the respect towards the poker forum at large? I have seen no apologies at all. Just carefully worded explanations. We as a community held our hands up and many of our established posters agreed that what happened was wrong and apologies were given. Why cant this same respect be shown to the poker mods and community at a large?

Essentially all I want is an apology, a simpe "We/I am sorry". I'm not backing you into a corner and I wont be smug when/if you do decide to be forthcoming with an apology all I want is to see, through a proper apology, that you realise that the way our mods and community was treated was wrong.

The majority of the poker forum have never been anything but respectful toward Dev and the Admins, messers have admitted they were at fault, apologies were given. All I want to see is this respect reciprocated.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,540 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KevIRL wrote: »

There is no 'catch'. If you read our post above, we (with the help of you guys) are going to ensure that the events of Friday night dont happen again.

Just to clarify this, if users do decide to go against the overall site rules and ignore our wishes on this we will be left with no option than to take action.

But we hope and trust that none of you want to get involved in intra-forum messing any more and will respect other communities on Boards.

Daithio wrote: »
    That thread really wound me up, but mainly because of the mods from other forums coming in pretending to know what they were talking about when in reality they were just there to stir the sh1t. Oh, and I really don't like that Beruthiel, he/she needs to get off the internet power trip.

Aside from that though, I think some of the responses in this thread to Devore have been a bit harsh. He's come on here and admitted that mistakes were made, held his hands up and apologised, and is doing everything in his power to restore things to their previous state. I mean what more do you's want?

Dave, I believe I have addressed a lot of tis in my last post. As for the comment about Beruthial, while not exactly diplomatic, it is fair comment in my view, insofar as it is your opinion. She is an admin of this site, and one persons power trip is another persons correct line on things.

I certainly don't agree with everything that admins say, but in general we have to work together for the betterment of the site. She has a thick skin as she has said many times. I'm sure she as well as any mod/admin welcomes views that are put forward reasonably. Feedback thread might be a better platform for that though I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

May I ask that the Poker mods delete all references to me in the BBV that currently exist and that are posted in future.

GuanYin wrote: »
    May I ask that the Poker mods delete all references to me in the BBV that currently exist and that are posted in future.

We will PM you seperately on this after things calm down a bit if that is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

GuanYin wrote: »
    GuanYin, I will be returning to our PM discussion in the very near future (next day or 2, when things calm down here)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

For the record, I've not paid anyone off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Why do some of the admins have issues with the poker forum and specifically BBV?

Attempt number 2 but while I'm here I'll add more to it. Too me it seems that some of the admins don't like the poker forum/bbv/the poker mods. Everytime a major issue was brought up over the modding of the soccer forum all the admins circled around and defended that person to the last, despite the majority of soccer users disagreeing. Yet the reverse happens with the poker forum. As soon as 1 poker mod makes a mistake while 3 of the other mods weren't even online the admins jump at the chance to kick the poker forum in the teeth and remove the delete the BBV straight away. Tbh I'd be shocked if because of a tiny handful of posters in the Noctorunal chat thread trolled that count thread that the whole thread would of been put in recelye bin. This stinks of admins who already have a issue with the bbv thread taking there chance to **** it in the ass.

The reason I think so many of the poker users have such a bad taste in their mouth is because if the admins are willing to treat the mods is such a ****ty way then what hope do us lowly users have? As I said in the mega feedback thread not once did I see an admin praise the poker mods for what the job they have done through the years, instead they all get hung out to dry because one of the Mods made a small boo-boo.

This post to me highlights the complete lack of respect given to the poker mods.
    Thaedydal wrote:
    View Post
    As per the site rules you may put a link in your sig but posting just to take posters away to a differnt is spamming an advertisement for that site and against the rules.

I am really starting to wonder did any of the poker mods bother putting a link to the site FAQ in the poker forum for people to read when it was launched.

For someone whom I'm sure is popular with the admins and Dev judging by all the forums she mods I was hugely pissed off the admins and Dev let her second comment slid. Considering, as I point out to her that 3 of the forums she mods didn't even have a FAQ visilble, I found it bizarre she had the check to come out a take such a petty and childish swipe at the poker mods. Why didn't an admin or you Dev bring her up on it and tell her that the site FAQ doesn't have to be in the charter or anywhere else on a forum so the poker mods aren't to blame at all there? Throughout the whole thread it was happening, and while I accept you were away for it the rest of the admins weren't. Even when the lads resigned I didn't see one thank you post for the admins for all the time an effort the lads have put in, especially Ste and 5star who have been modding for years.

If the mods have all agreed to comeback then fair play to them, I presume some of the behind the scenes discussions must of been epic.

Lads, please. We will take that conversation up with GY seperately. Don't make a bad situation worse.

Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Lads, it's a reasonable request, just let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Lads, we're going to be discussing things with GY by PM, please do not discuss that here. I've deleted posts above.

Thanks,

Ste05

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭YULETIRED

so mistakes were made, hands held up, some one way apologies and now the BBV is back with a death sentence on it anyway.
    This was always going to be the solution .

Feedback thread
    The whole fiasco though is just a symptom of something I alluded to in feedback, the lack of respect for Joe Poster in general.
    I used to read it to cater for my sadistic needs as poster after poster was inundated with lolcats , clique mocking and basically mods ganging up on any poster who dared to question the Mods of any forum they were banned/infracted/harsly treated in.
    usually some mod would be the voice of reason but then the attacks. It really is pathetic.
    This unchecked bullying should stop, some tried it in our feedback thread but fortunately they were outnumbered . This forum is it's users and mods/admins fellow posters are all guilty of ganging up on newbie types.

If someone asked me what is the most common attack word used on this site I'd say 'retarded.' That says it all.
    I found this whole fight the powah thing to be very interesting indeed . It looks like the 'boards is not a democracy' slogan may need to be reworded to something less snotty . And if you want to bury the hatchet, offer an Amnesty to the posters who have been banned in these extraordinary last days.

PS LOL Lverpool

feel free to move to feedback ff approp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

5starpool wrote: »
    We will PM you seperately on this after things calm down a bit if that is ok.

That would be great, thank you.

Can someone reply to mine and chucky the trees post please? Im not trying to be an asshole but I would like to see Dev's, the poker mods and other admins take on those issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I think that is fair and tbh as if those who have an issue with any of my posts to report them instead of having a go here, thanks.

I am glad this forum is getting it's BBV thread back and that the mods were able to come to an agreement with the admins re enforcing the site rules and are staying on.

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I think that is fair and tbh as if those who have an issue with any of my posts to report them instead of having a go here, thanks.

I am glad this forum is getting it's BBV thread back and that the mods were able to come to an agreement with the admins re enforcing the site rules and are staying on.

Since you are here.

Do you not feel you were out of place making those comments in the feedback thread? Do you not think it unwise to comment on something you know nothing about, namely, the moderation of this forum?

Why did you feel the need to have swipes at the poker mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Since you are here.

Do you not feel you were out of place making those comments in the feedback thread? Do you not think it unwise to comment on something you know nothing about, namely, the moderation of this forum?

Why did you feel the need to have swipes at the poker mods?

I am not going to derail this thread by answering that here, I have suggested if you want to start a thread in feedback and I will look to answering it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Thaedydal wrote: »

i've reported, i got no reply, so I've brought it up here.

I understand this, but when any other Mods get abused by anyone then the Admins circle the wagons and defend the mods to the public. This didnt happen this time, Boston and Thaedyl (sp?) afair were taking petty snipes and overt shots at the poker forum mods which wasnt at all reigned in.

Thank you Dev for the answer.

I understand you can't be here all the time thats not the issue I have. The issue is, when all hell broke loose and when the feedback thread was eventually allowed the poker forum mods were attacked. Nothing was said to the offenders. It was like boards as a whole were finally getting their chance to have a go at the poker forum. Where is the apology for this?

Like was mentioned, Kev held up his hands and said sorry and Kayroo did the same, why cant those who did the poker forum as a whole and the mods wrong come out and apologise instead of hiding behind a blanket statement released by yourself?

I do want to move on, but Im not the only one who feels this way and moving on will be hampered by looking back if these issues arent dealt with.
    Im not trying to villify anyone. Their comments are there for all to be seen. What Im asking is WHY didnt the admins at least show some sort of respect towards the pokers mods at the time of all this happening, like they do when any other mod is called into question? I mean how come the abuse toward the mods wasnt called to a halt, it happens if any other mod is abused in feedback and proof of their mistakes/bad moderation is asked for? Why not for our mods?

Similarly, where is the respect towards the poker forum at large? I have seen no apologies at all. Just carefully worded explanations. We as a community held our hands up and many of our established posters agreed that what happened was wrong and apologies were given. Why cant this same respect be shown to the poker mods and community at a large?

Essentially all I want is an apology, a simpe "We/I am sorry". I'm not backing you into a corner and I wont be smug when/if you do decide to be forthcoming with an apology all I want is to see, through a proper apology, that you realise that the way our mods and community was treated was wrong.

The majority of the poker forum have never been anything but respectful toward Dev and the Admins, messers have admitted they were at fault, apologies were given. All I want to see is this respect reciprocated.
    Can someone reply to mine and chucky the trees post please? Im not trying to be an asshole but I would like to see Dev's, the poker mods and other admins take on those issues.

Hi Steve

Most/All of your questions above seem to be addresed to the Admins, which is why I didnt reply already. If you want my take on the points above, well this was something which did form a part of our discussion with the Admins, the outcome of which is not something I want to go into here, in fact we are still ironing out some stuff. We have accepted the points made to us for our concerns otherwise we wouldnt have reached this point.

I hope that answers you from a poker mod Point of View. I can see you have other legitimate concerns which I feel need an Admin reply, which I hope will be forthcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 37,901 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Yeah two mods that are not popular come on here and post and try to get us all going and forget whats happened and be one big happy family again. BBV on boards is dead imo.

And Dev's post I don't believe, he climbs down off the cart when the horse has bolted is my opinion on his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭connie147

I'm going on holidays tomorrow. (Yippee). I'm going to enjoy it a bit more now that i know ye're all back onside.

I've met most of the mods and I've nothing but admiration for them, as people and their modding skills, and from the time i met Tom, I've always found him to be an extremely nice guy and intellegent to boot!

It wouldn't have made sense if they didn't work it out. I, for 1, am glad they did.

Connie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Eminems song "Puke" springs to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Whyno

Fair play for the guys to put der hands up and admitting that mistakes were made on all fronts and are now trying to rectify the damage.
    What i will say though is all the little power hungry freaks that attacked the poker forum and especially our mods when the sh1t hit the fan was a disgrace with lots of brave lil people busting comments out from behind their keyboards. Will they be warned/punished for sticking their noses in where they werent required.
    This whole argument spiralled out of control because of this and could be the ruination of the poker forum. Its great the lads have taken back their positions but are they going to be left looking over their shoulders til the next time someone farts outta place in here....
    I hope that we all can proceed from here but imo some of the vultures that made uncalled for attacks have questions to answer.
    I`m on here most days and today was imo one of the worst days on. If today proceeds to the next and so on well then the poker forum is doomed to fail and thus be a big loss to boards.ie which is a great site.
    I look forward to seeing what the rest of the guys have to say and hopefully they all come back cos i miss all der "Jibber Jabba"(fools):D.

Attempt number 2 but while I'm here I'll add more to it. Too me it seems that some of the admins don't like the poker forum/bbv/the poker mods. Everytime a major issue was brought up over the modding of the soccer forum all the admins circled around and defended that person to the last, despite the majority of soccer users disagreeing. Yet the reverse happens with the poker forum. As soon as 1 poker mod makes a mistake while 3 of the other mods weren't even online the admins jump at the chance to kick the poker forum in the teeth and remove the delete the BBV straight away. Tbh I'd be shocked if because of a tiny handful of posters in the Noctorunal chat thread trolled that count thread that the whole thread would of been put in recelye bin. This stinks of admins who already have a issue with the bbv thread taking there chance to **** it in the ass.

The reason I think so many of the poker users have such a bad taste in their mouth is because if the admins are willing to treat the mods is such a ****ty way then what hope do us lowly users have? As I said in the mega feedback thread not once did I see an admin praise the poker mods for what the job they have done through the years, instead they all get hung out to dry because one of the Mods made a small boo-boo.

This post to me highlights the complete lack of respect given to the poker mods.

For someone whom I'm sure is popular with the admins and Dev judging by all the forums she mods I was hugely pissed off the admins and Dev let her second comment slid. Considering, as I point out to her that 3 of the forums she mods didn't even have a FAQ visilble, I found it bizarre she had the check to come out a take such a petty and childish swipe at the poker mods. Why didn't an admin or you Dev bring her up on it and tell her that the site FAQ doesn't have to be in the charter or anywhere else on a forum so the poker mods aren't to blame at all there? Throughout the whole thread it was happening, and while I accept you were away for it the rest of the admins weren't. Even when the lads resigned I didn't see one thank you post for the admins for all the time an effort the lads have put in, especially Ste and 5star who have been modding for years.

If the mods have all agreed to comeback then fair play to them, I presume some of the behind the scenes discussions must of been epic.

Chucky....As your points are broadly similar to theresalwaysone, I hope my reply above is okay for your post

The discussions were epic alright, but not in the 'LOL' epic way, man I much prefer LOL epic, its so much easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭tm2204

KevIRL wrote: »
    I might add here that Kinetic had an extremely thankless task of looking after the place while we were not modding it over the last couple of days. I'd like to thank him for doing that.

Kev, that's complete BS. From what I've read on Boards and the new poker forum this Kinetic guy has contributed by his clueless actions, more than anyone, to the 'almost' demise of the poker forum on Boards.

Surely if you are going to get a temporary mod to stand in and mod the poker forum then you should get one who has some level of understanding for the job in hand.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement