Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times for improvement....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Wednesday 26.08.09

Day 3/Week 5 of the P&D 12 Week Plan

X-Training/ Cycle - 20.07M, Time: 1:21:11, avg. speed: 14.8mph, avg. hr: 140

Cycled from home out to just short of Roundwood via Enniskerry (10 miles x2) and back. Got to just past Djouce Woods and then turned around. Cracking route and will definitely go again. Some nice steep hills on the way out (I actually laughed out loud when I approached the one just before Djouce :eek:). Route below -

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/world/city/449125131934763279

On the way home I was coming over the scalp and two mountain bikers tried to race me so I decided to pick up the pace. Then realised a racer was behind me about to pass so I gave it socks through Kilternan and managed to stay ahead of him. It was only a victory inside my own head but I enjoyed it all the same..:p

I went to the physio today to get a sports massage and he suggested that I take a week off running as he said that the achilles in my right leg is a little swollen (early signs of tendonitis) and the ITB (also right leg) is quite tight. He warned that both areas could be aggravated further if I race on Sunday and said that a week off now should give my legs time to recover and reduce the risk of injury in the lead-up to or during the marathon.

As long as I feel I'm fit to run on Sunday I'll do so and we agreed that I'd rest up between now and then (cycle + 1 or 2 short runs) and take a few days off afterwards. He said that cycling is fine given there is no impact and suggested applying oruvail gel to the tendon plus ice in order to reduce inflammation.

I'm p;ssed off at the news and am probably not taking the sensible approach with regard to Sunday but I've been looking forward to this race all summer and feel I'm in good shape for it (famous last words :rolleyes:)..

ike wrote: »
    Great going rigal - based on your training you should be closer to 1:30 than 1:35!

Cheers ike. I had a good look at your log earlier and note that you were running slightly faster paced tempos before Lisburn than I am currently! I think 1:33 (7.06 pace) is probably a realistic target assuming all goes well on the day..

Thursday 27.08.09

Day 4/Week 5
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Run (Jog)- 3M, Time: 31:53, avg. Pace: 10:38 mins/mile, avg. hr: 135

Nice early morning jog with the GF in the sun before work.

ITB seems to have flared up a little since the physio session yesterday so plenty of stretching and icing tonight. Undecided on whether or not to run or cycle tomorrow. Will just see how the leg feels.

Friday 28.08.09

Day 5/Week 5
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Run - 8M, Time: 1:10:41, avg. Pace: 8:50 mins/mile, avg. hr: 142

Legs felt fine today and it was a bit windy for the bike so decided to run.

Slow easy run up to Kilternan and then 5 laps of the soccer fields and back home again. Felt good running on the grass. Looking good for Sunday (hopefully..).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

In Lisburn I lost 90 seconds on the second half - mainly due to some savage hills and partly due to loss on concentration, don't think you'll have the problem in Longford with the hills. The main thing it just to relax and find your rthymn - best of luck anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Best of luck rigal.

Saturday 29.08.09

Day 6/Week 5
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Rest day

Sunday 30.08.09

Day 7/Week 5
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Longford Half Marathon - 13.14M, Time: 1:33:56 (watch time) , avg. Pace: 7:08 mins/mile, stopped the watch early at the finish as I thought I had gone over the chip mat but hadn't so time was probably c.1:34:05

Just back from Longford. The race went ok as in I went sub 1:35 which was a goal of mine for the summer but I had been hoping for a time in and around 1:32 based on my training over the past month or so.

The race started well, there was the usual hustle for the first mile, lots of slower runners at the front. It was raining but not heavily so I didn't mind. My aim was to run c.7:00 mins/mile for the first half and then see how things went. The first 3 miles were 7:03/ 7:06/ 7:00 at the end of which I was still with my mate and was feeling pretty good. The start of mile 4 had a bit of an incline and we were into a head wind so I was conscious of not letting the pace drop. I ran mile 4 in 6:53 and my mate dropped back at this point. Runners were strung out more now and I was in a group who were running at about 6:50 pace so I let them go on and ended up running on my own.

At the half way point (46mins) I was still feeling strong and was on target for 1:32.

During mile 7 I started getting mild cramps in my stomach and while I still felt strong, I noticed me pace dropping off a bit. At mile 8 I stopped and answered the call of nature. I felt a bit better after this and was happy to see the water station at mile 9. They were handing out water and energy drinks, both in plastic cups, at this water stop and I proceeded to miss my mouth with the energy drink and pour it into my left eye :rolleyes:. So I ended up having nothing to drink as I had to pour my water onto it to rinse it out.

After that fiasco I started to get a bit annoyed and then the cramps returned but thankfully they subsided after a couple of minutes.

From miles 10 -13, I was tiring and lost a decent bit of time (c.1 minute in total) and just decided to try and relax, run on feel, and do my best to get in as fast as possible.

Mile 12 involved running up a hill into the town and I have to say the Gardai/marshalls did a great job holding up the traffic to allow runners to cross through roundabout etc. Once I got into town I picked up the pace for the finish and passed a few runners over the last half mile.

My mate finished about 30 seconds after me and is delighted with his time.

Splits : 7:03 /7:06 / 7:00 / 6:53 / 6:59 / 7:06 / 7:07/ 7:20 / 7:07 / 7:31 / 7:19 / 7:10 / 7:12

Positives - sub: 1:35 box ticked. Time was about 7 mins faster than Connemara. Sub - 1:30 could be a possibility some time next year. Nice enough course, bit boring at time but it is relatively fast and flat. Well organised.

Negatives - wasting time having to take a p:ss and dealing with cramps. Being given drinks in plastic cups. Cheap cotton race t-shirt. I think when you're paying €45 to enter a race they should spend abit more on the t-shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Hey rigal, good run, thats a 30 second per mile pick up on pace over Connemara. When you stopped at mile 8 did you bust a gut to get back on pace, as the split for that mile is 7:20?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Good stuff outta you Rigal, well done on ticking the box, anything else is a bonus.

asimonov wrote: »
    Hey rigal, good run, thats a 30 second per mile pick up on pace over Connemara. When you stopped at mile 8 did you bust a gut to get back on pace, as the split for that mile is 7:20?

Cheers asimonov. Yeah, a couple of runners passed me when I stopped so I managed to catch them again. Didn't quite bust a gut but I didn't want to let them go as I had already lost one group and didn't want to be in no mans land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Well done rigal always great to achive your target, a sub 1:30 is definately on the cards next year (hope to be in the same boat myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great stuff Rigal! Things like stomach cramps, calls of nature are all fixable, so that's an immediate couple of minutes off your time for the next race. But throwing your sports drink in your eye?! That's just silly. :)

But throwing your sports drink in your eye?! That's just silly. :)

I know! What a muppet eh?, It happened at the turnaround point so as I turned I met up with my mate who was running the other way. He tried a high five but I didn't see it!:rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

well done on getting the sub 1:35 goal rigal, considering probs ya had with cramps and all that.
    I've no doubt that sub 1:30 is around the corner for ya next time!

tisnotover wrote: »
    well done on getting the sub 1:35 goal rigal, considering probs ya had with cramps and all that.
    I've no doubt that sub 1:30 is around the corner for ya next time!

Cheers tisnotover. Hopefully you're right. I'll keep following your log for tips on how to go faster ;)

Monday 31.08.09

Day 1/Week 6
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

X-Training/ Cycle - 20.27M, Time: 1:27:11, avg. speed: 13.9mph, avg. hr: 139

Same route as last week and exactly 6 minutes slower!

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/world...25131934763279

Nice spin though. Lovely night for it, roads were a little wet after all the rain so descents were a bit tricky. Looking forward to getting my cycling shoes in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

rigal wrote: »
    Cheers tisnotover. Hopefully you're right. I'll keep following your log for tips on how to go faster ;)

here I haven't ran sub 1:30 for the half yet now either, will find out on Sep 13th ;).
    The plan I've been trying to follow is this one (Gringo78 is as well),and interval/tempo work has def helped bring other race times down:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-258-12006-0,00.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

rigal wrote: »
    Saturday 29.08.09

Sunday 30.08.09

Day 7/Week 5 of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Longford Half Marathon - 13.14M, Time: 1:33:56 (watch time) , avg. Pace: 7:08 mins/mile, stopped the watch early at the finish as I thought I had gone over the chip mat but hadn't so time was probably c.1:34:05

Just back from Longford. .......

Positives - sub: 1:35 box ticked. Time was about 7 mins faster than Connemara. Sub - 1:30 could be a possibility some time next year. Nice enough course, bit boring at time but it is relatively fast and flat. Well organised.

Negatives - wasting time having to take a p:ss and dealing with cramps. Being given drinks in plastic cups. Cheap cotton race t-shirt. I think when you're paying €45 to enter a race they should spend abit more on the t-shirt.

Great race report and great time. Well done Rigal. Must give you confidence for the forthcoming Amdam marathon.

Killerz wrote: »
    Great race report and great time. Well done Rigal. Must give you confidence for the forthcoming Amdam marathon.

Cheers Killerz. Hope you're enjoying the honeymoon!

Tuesday 31.08.09

Day 2/Week 6
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Medium Long Run - 11.68M, time: 1:39:22, average pace: 8:30 mins/mile, average HR: 153

Because of the race last Sunday I decided to swap the MLR around with the scheduled VO2 Max session and do that on Thursday instead.

Nice run out in Blessington with two mates. One of my mates chose the route as he's currently living out there. Turned out to be quite undulating (see link!) and very scenic.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/12510042

• Advertisement

Went to the physio today as my right ITB band has been very sore since Tuesday nights run. I think the race on Sunday plus the steep hills on Tuesday night caused it to flare up.

He did some massage and electro-acupuncture which was sore but effective :o! He reckons that the cycling could be compounding the problem so has recommended that I take the rest of the week off running and give cycling a miss for 2-3 weeks until it's fully healed. I'll miss the cycling but I can handle that (temporarily!).

I am worried about missing another long run though. Looking back on my schedule come Saturday it'll be 3 weeks since my last long run and it'll be 4 weeks before I can do my next (weekend after next). That's going to be a big gap in my training for Amsterdam but it can't be helped.

Sunday 06.09.09

Day 7/Week 6
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Comeback Run - 3.25M, time: 29:33, average pace: 9:05 mins/mile, average HR: 149

1st run since last Tuesday night. Went to Marlay Park and ran on the grass. Leg felt fine until the last couple of minutes when it started to ache a bit. Hopefully if I look after it and ease myself back into the training it'll be fine.

Monday 07.09.09

Day 1/Week 7
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Recovery Run - 4.08M, time: 36:04, average pace: 8:49 mins/mile, average HR: 146

Leg seems to be getting better.:) Going to skip the LT run tomorrow night and do a slow 7-8 miler instead. Not ready for 1/2 marathon pace yet - pity as strangely enough it is by far my favourite session on the schedule.

Tuesday 08.09.09

Day 2/Week 7
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Medium Run - 8.86M, time: 1:15:36, average pace: 8:31 mins/mile, average HR: 148

Started out with 4 very slow miles and then did 3 @ PMP just to relieve the monotony of all the slow running! splits were 8:01/7:45/7:42

This run felt harder than it should have (kinda what I expected) but I am pretty happy overall. MLR of 12 miles planned for Thursday. Onwards on upwards hopefully!

Wednesday = rest day

Thursday 10.09.09

Day 4/Week 7
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

MLR - 10.96M, time: 1:26:59, average pace: 7:56 mins/mile, average HR: 161

Not really an MLR, more a tempo(ish) type run in the end up :confused: .

Did 3 mile warm up then 3 miles @ PMP (7:51 /7:46 / 7:40 - too fast!!), then 3 miles @ 1/2 MP (7:09/ 7:01/ 6:52 - nice :pac:), then 2 mile warm down.

Very happy with this and also with my new pearl izumi phase t-shirts. Tried one tonight for the first time and they are so light - perfect for sweat merchants like me. Got them on ebay @ £12.99 a pop :)..

Oh and I weighed myself tonight after my run - 12 stone!! I know I probably lost a few pounds in sweat earlier but I'm claiming it anyway. 11.5 stone for amdam is looking like a possibility. That means loosing c.2 lbs a week for 5 weeks. No bothers..:pac:

Friday = rest day - 18 holes of Golf in the sunshine at Carton House :)

Saturday 12.09.09

Day 6/Week 7
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Recovery Run - 4.36M, time: 37:39, average pace: 8:38 mins/mile, average HR: N/a

Nice run in the sun at Marlay Park. Place was jammers so headed to the grass field in the middle and did a few laps of that. Got a new pair of trainers in AK - Brooks Trance 9 in snazzy green and white - lovely trainers and lighter than my other runners (sauconys).

Sunday 13.09.09

Day 7/Week 7
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Long run- 19M time: 2:35:58, average pace: 8:13 mins/mile, average HR: 161

First long run in 4 weeks :eek: so I was a little worried about how this would go. I headed out to the Phoenix Park early and started out at the Papal Cross car park. It was really warm and there was a great atmosphere about the place, loads of runners about. The first 10 miles or so were fine, pace was c.8:20. I downloaded an audiobook yesterday for the first time -Dean Karnazes "50 Marathons in 50 days", so I listened to that and the miles were passing by pretty quickly.

I stopped for a quick stretch at around the 13 mile mark and was running out of water at that stage so knew that I wouldnt get to 20 miles without more. I ran back to the car and grabbed another water bottle and took a quick swig of lucozade sport which reinvigorated me. Did miles 14-19 at just under 8 mins/mile (PMP). I called it a day at 19 as I was feeling pretty wrecked. Probably a combination of the heat and not having run long in nearly a month.

Next week will be lower mileage as I have the Lakes 10k on Saturday and will probably just do a 15-16 miler on Sunday. Only two more weeks of hard training before the taper. Training to date has not gone very smoothly but this week has gone very well after being injured last week.

I'm feeling a lot stronger than I did before Edinburgh so hopefully that feeling continues and I can get the sub 3:30 monkey off my back on 18/10 in Amsterdam. To date I've attained a few of my goals for the season (sub-20 5k and sub-1:35 1/2 MP). I'm hoping to do the Lakes in sub-41.

Monday = rest day - quads were still sore from Sunday's long run. I had planned to go for a light run on the grass or a cycle but I was too wrecked after work. Had a few sneaky pints on Sunday night and felt slightly hungover so just vegged for the evening.

Tuesday 15.09.09

Day 2/Week 8 of the P&D 12 Week Plan

VO2 Max- 8M w/ 5 x 600m @ 5k pace with 90 secs jog recovery, time: 1:03:16, average pace: 7:55mins/mile, average HR: N/a (forgot it unfortunatley:rolleyes:)

Ok.... this was my first proper track session in 10 weeks (:eek:) so I was a bit aprehensive about it plus I had not chosen an ideal training partner for the session. I met up with one of my AmDam accomplices down in UCD. He used to run the 800 in college and I think he won an all Ireland when he was 17 or so. He's just getting back into running again but is naturally fit (and damn fast). Interestingly he has chosen to do a marathon as his first goal race after a few years lay off:confused:. I think the lure is more amdam the city and not the marathon.

We decided to do a 5 mile warm up around the campus first and then got back to the track and did a few laps before kicking off the 600s. Splits were - 2:14/2:16/2:15/2:11/2:04..

I think all the 600s were too fast for me. They were supposed to be @ 5k pace which is probably about 3:50ish for me at the moment but we did all of them at least 5 seconds faster. For the last 600 my mate decided to go at his own pace and gone around the bend about 10 seconds after I shouted go. He finished at least 100m ahead of me so I'm guessing he did the final 600 in 1:45 or so..

Moral of the story is - it's good to have a training partner for track sessions but not in all cases. Michael if you're reading this - please go and join a club after amdam and stop rubbing my nose in it!:p

Oh and I've decided on a new addition to my posts - a daily "top tip" - they'll be more for my entertainment than anything else but as this training melarkey is a learing curve (overused term) and I tend to do something stupid every training session it might be of some use...

Today's top tip - well I have two (just to kick things off)
    1. Don't train with proper athletes - it's degrading
    2. Don't drink your protein recovery shake with your dinner - it'll make you feel sick....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Well done. Great pace. Good to have someone there to push you harder! I loved those V02max sessions. It's the LT runs that I really learned to hate.

Looking forward to the next set of top tips. :)

I loved those V02max sessions. It's the LT runs that I really learned to hate.

Interesting - I must be one of the few people who enjoys the LT runs! :)

What are your thoughts on doing the V02 max sessions so late on in the training schedule? I think I read in one of Tergat's post that he reckons LT's are more beneficial for marathoners. I've loaned my P&D book sorry, "bible" to a friend so I can't refer to it for enlightenment..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 thedeerhunter

Piko here!
    (decided to join up to keep a diary)

That was a good quick session alright Rigal.. We definitely went a bit too hard, more of a speed endurance session, but sure no harm in that the odd time..

Put a bucket of that Emu oil on my calves last night and it really helped, I'm walking a bit like robocop today but at least I'm not like a constipated Robocop with arthritis!

How are the hammers holding up?

Advertisement