Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times for improvement....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Tuesday 22.07.09

Day 2/Week 1
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

X-training - Cycle - 18M, Time: 1:11:47, avg. pace: 15mph

Went from home to Kilmacanogue and back. Horrible night for a cycle - very wet. First time out in the wet and found it quite cold in just shorts. Concentration needs to be high on wet bumpy road surfaces as well. Might look into getting a turbo trainer for the winter..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What route are you taking to get to Kilmacanogue?
    Lately I've been cycling into Bray, and taking the Dargle Road to get to the N11, which seems to be the best way to bypass the motorway stretch.

On P&D, I'm starting week 6 now. Week 5 was tough, but thankfully, this is a bit of a kick-back week. Just getting ready to do the first interval session. Looking forward to it.

What route are you taking to get to Kilmacanogue?
    Lately I've been cycling into Bray, and taking the Dargle Road to get to the N11, which seems to be the best way to bypass the motorway stretch.

On P&D, I'm starting week 6 now. Week 5 was tough, but thankfully, this is a bit of a kick-back week. Just getting ready to do the first interval session. Looking forward to it.

I head from Stepaside to Enniskerry and then across to the N11. I now take the left at the garage before Enniskerry and descend the hill into Enniskerry via Fishers Lane (think that's the name :confused:). The road surface is much smoother and safer in the wet.

The road from Enniskerry to the N11 is pretty bumpy and I can't say I enjoy crossing the slip roads on the N11 much but I'll use this route again on my way down to Wicklow if I'm looking for a longer flat spin.

My week 5 includes Longford 1/2 so I'll have to adjust it a bit..

That VO2 Max session in week 6 looks fairly tough... will/did you do it in the Park?

rigal wrote: »
    I head from Stepaside to Enniskerry and then across to the N11. I now take the left at the garage before Enniskerry and descend the hill into Enniskerry via Fishers Lane (think that's the name :confused:). The road surface is much smoother and safer in the wet.

The road from Enniskerry to the N11 is pretty bumpy and I can't say I enjoy crossing the slip roads on the N11 much but I'll use this route again on my way down to Wicklow if I'm looking for a longer flat spin.

My week 5 includes Longford 1/2 so I'll have to adjust it a bit..

That VO2 Max session in week 6 looks fairly tough... will/did you do it in the Park?
    Yep, did it in the park. Warm-up of 3 miles, then the intervals, then warm down of whatever's left (around 2.5 miles). Actually enjoyed it. I find V02max a lot easier than the LT sessions, which are the bane of my life! Can't wait to get back to some good honest 10k training, so it's all fast intervals, and none of this LT nonsense!

Do you cross over the N11 on that green pedestrian bridge? I've done that route a few times, but the bridge is a pain in the a$$. It's a pity there isn't a connecting road from Enniskerry to Fassaroe (afaik).

Do you cross over the N11 on that green pedestrian bridge? I've done that route a few times, but the bridge is a pain in the a$$. It's a pity there isn't a connecting road from Enniskerry to Fassaroe (afaik).

No, but I did notice that bridge last night alright. Am I right in saying you have to carry the bike up the steps and down at the other side?

I just went North on the N11 coming off the Enniskerry Rd, took the slip road, went over the bridge and doubled back southbound. Probably not the best way to do it. I think I'll study the map a bit before I go out that way again :rolleyes:..

• Advertisement

No, but I did notice that bridge last night alright. Am I right in saying you have to carry the bike up the steps and down at the other side?

I just went North on the N11 coming off the Enniskerry Rd, took the slip road, went over the bridge and doubled back southbound. Probably not the best way to do it. I think I'll study the map a bit before I go out that way again :rolleyes:..
    No, it has an accessible ramp that you can cycle up (thought it's tough getting around those tight corners with the clips!). I *ahem* never thought of doubling back to Fassaroe, to cross over the bridge. Much better than going over the pedestrian bridge.

If you fancy a change, take the Ballyman Road (lovely sweeping downhill) down to Bray, then turn right in Bray (at the lights) and take another right at the next lights (at Amphibian King) to head back onto the N11 via Dargle Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Also if you go up via Powerscourt and continue on and take a left after the narrow bridge and then left after a few miles, it will bring you out at the fly over at Kilcroney (last Bray exit heading south) or continue on and it will bring you at Avoca Handweavers (nice spot for a coffee) on the Northbound N11 or turn right after the narrow bridge to head towards Djouce or Roundwood.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Also if you go up via Powerscourt and continue on and take a left after the narrow bridge and then left after a few miles, it will bring you out at the fly over at Kilcroney (last Bray exit heading south) or continue on and it will bring you at Avoca Handweavers (nice spot for a coffee) on the Northbound N11 or turn right after the narrow bridge to head towards Djouce or Roundwood.

Cool - will give that a go next time round. Thanks..

Wednesday 29.07.09

Day 3/Week 1
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

General Aerobic - Run - 10M, Time: 1:24:33, avg. pace: 8:27 mins/mile, avg. hr: 151 (c.77% of max - target zone is 70-83% per P&D so happy days)

Minging night for it - ran from Dundrum to Sandymount and back. Got very wet and never got warmed up. We did the final mile in 7:48 uphill just to get out of the rain. Will try and wear the HR monitor from now on.. may have to copy Roadrunner's data table for my log to hold all this info!

Thursday 30.07.09

Day 4/Week 1
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

X-Training - Cycle - 12.27M, Time: c.45mins

This included my usual route from Stepaside to Enniskerry at fast pace followed by a c.2M warm down.

Did the speed session in 33.47mins, avg. speed: 18.4 mph, avg. hr: 153 (funny how low it is compared to running considering I was hammering it)

Lovely evening for a cycle and had been feeling lethargic all day so it was either veg on the sofa or get out there and try to kick start my metabolism.

Very happy with the session. I gave it c.90% the whole way and my time was at least 2 mins faster than my previous pb on this route. I'm doing my long run tomorrow evening as going away for the weekend. It'll be tough going after a days work but has to be done..

• Advertisement

Ok, here goes:

Friday 31.07.09

Day 5/Week 1 of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Long Run - 15M, Time: 2:06:55, avg. pace: 8:27mins/mile, avg. hr: 160

This run went pretty well considering the wet and windy conditions. Felt strong at the end. HR was a little high but expected that with all the sections of the route running into a headwind.

Saturday 01.08.09

Day 6/Week 1 of the P&D 12 Week Plan

X-Training - Cycle - 35:47M, Time: 1:55:40, avg. speed: 18.4mph, avg. hr: 151

Cycled in Cork from Carrigtwohill to Whitehead and back with my mate and his 2 cycle buddies. This was my first time cycling in a proper group and it made such a difference, particularly on the windy sections where we took it in turns at the front.

This wasn't quite as leisurely as I thought it would be. One of the lads decided to pick the pace up significantly on the way home with about 10 miles to go so I decided to leave the others and push on and follow him. I caught him after a couple of miles and we kept the pace pretty high from there on. Tiring stuff but good craic and a nice change of scenary..

Sunday 02.08.09

Day 7/Week 1 of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Well deserved rest day. Skipped the recovery run per the training plan as I needed a break after yesterdays cycle and beers saturday night!

Monday 03.08.09

Day 1/Week 2 of the P&D 12 Week Plan

AM - X-Training - Cycle - 25:27M, Time: 1:50:47, avg. speed: 13.7mph, avg. hr: 138 - cycled with a friend to Glencree via Enniskerry and Powerscourt (usually go to Glencree then Powerscourt). Nice relaxing cycle apart from a few hairy moments descending hills on wet roads. Really need to work on my bike handling skills!

PM - Run: 8M w/ 4M @ LT Pace. Time: 1:04:05, avg. pace: 8mins/miles, avg. hr: 164,

Went to Marlay Park to do this. Nice evening for a run - not too hot with light rain.. Did c.4 laps of the park. Ran 2M warm-up , then 4M@ LT and then a 2M warm-down. Splits for LT miles were : 7:11/7:10/7:09/6:56. Very happy with how this run went although the LT miles were a little fast. I was worried I'd run too slow on the hilly bits but ended up running them a bit too fast.

Monster post :eek: .... Good to be up-to-date again!

A good first week! Great running!
    What's your target time for the marathon?

Tuesday 04.08.09

Day 2/Week 2
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Medium Long Run - 11M, Time: 1:32:43, avg. pace: 8:25mins/mile, avg. hr: 158

I've had to rearrange my training schedule for this week because I'm going on a three day stag on Friday. The P&D schedule says for this run to be done tomorrow night. Today should really have been a x-training day but I need to do my long run on Thursday night so I will do x-training or take a rest day tomorrow instead depending on how busy I am with work.

Felt pretty tired on this run and my legs were quite sore. Probably because of the LT run last night.

A good first week! Great running!
    What's your target time for the marathon?

Cheers Krusty. I think you were spot on with your advice on doing the 12 wk plan.

I'm aiming for 3:30. That was my target time for Edinburgh so hopefully I'll do it this time round. Just gotta stay injury free! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

You have been busy rigal - i'm exhausted looking at the amount of training you've been doing! I'd say you're well on for your goal in the marathon - the cycling will be of great benefit to you no doubt, + the experience of the first one will stand to you.

Wednesday 05.08.09

Day 3/Week 2
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

X-Training - Cycle - 10.46M, Time: 38:33, avg. speed: 16.3mph, avg. hr: N/A as strap is in the wash..

Easy cycle to Enniskerry and back. I managed to damage my gears on the climb up to Glencree on Monday so now I can't use the smaller cog - it's stuck on the big one all the time - no idea why this happened but I'm sure it was my own fault :rolleyes:.

I probably won't have time to get it fixed before I head to Donegal for a week's holidays next Monday. It didn't cause a problem tonight but might be an issue next week in the hills of Donegal!

Killerz wrote: »
    You have been busy rigal - i'm exhausted looking at the amount of training you've been doing! I'd say you're well on for your goal in the marathon - the cycling will be of great benefit to you no doubt, + the experience of the first one will stand to you.

Cheers Killerz. I'm finding that the cycling is getting a lot easier and that it's helping my running as well... It's quality not quantity I guess but I'm happy with things so far, just need to be sensible and not pick up an injury like last time round.

I see you're flying it these days, those are some fast 5/10k runs you're putting in. I'll be interested to see how Dublin pans out for you - I think you could be on for a fast one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Wednesday 05.08.09

Day 3/Week 2
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

I probably won't have time to get it fixed before I head to Donegal for a week's holidays next Monday. It didn't cause a problem tonight but might be an issue next week in the hills of Donegal!

Are you bringing golf clubs?..Ballyliffen has the two best courses i think i've ever played....

asimonov wrote: »
    Are you bringing golf clubs?..Ballyliffen has the two best courses i think i've ever played....

I am indeed asimonov. My parents are actually members there so I'll try to get at least one round in at Ballyliffen and maybe another in Derry or Greencastle depending on who is free for a game. As I alluded to in previous posts my game ain't up to much these days so I'll bring plenty of balls out with me (especially in Ballyliffen!)..

Friday 07.08.09

Day 5/Week 2
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Long Run - 12.25M, Time: 1:48:11, avg. pace: 8:49mins/mile, avg. hr: 160

Monday 10.08.09

Day 1/Week 3 of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Recovery Run - 4.13M, Time: 37:35, avg. pace: 9:05mins/mile, avg. hr: 147

Tuesday 11.08.09

Day 2/Week 3
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

General Aerobic Run + 10 x 100m Strides- 8.13M, Time: 1:08:48, avg. pace: 8:27mins/mile, avg. hr: 160

Wednesday 12.08.09

Day 3/Week 3
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

AM - Recovery Run/Jog - 3.23M, Time: 32:21, avg. pace: 10:01mins/mile, avg. hr: n/a

PM - Cycle - 9.75M, Time: 38:11, avg. speed: 15.3 mph, avg. hr: 139

Thursday 13.08.09

Day 4/Week 3
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Medium Long Run- 11M, Time: 1:34:41, avg. pace: 8:36 mins/mile, avg. hr: 157

Friday 14.08.09

Day 5/Week 3
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Recovery Run- 3M, Time: 25:43, avg. pace: 8:34 mins/mile, avg. hr: 148

Saturday 15.08.09

Day 6/Week 3
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Long Run- 17M, Time: 2:24:26, avg. pace: 8:29 mins/mile, avg. hr: 162

Week 1 - 33M

Week 2 - 32M

Week 3 - 46M

• Advertisement

I've been away for the most part of ten days so I am only getting a chance to update my log now. Week 2 (last week) was a poor one as I was away at a stag for the weekend. I tried to squeeze in a long run on the Friday before we left but only managed 12.25 miles and did not feel good at all. Not sure what the problem was but felt like I had no energy. The stag was great craic but the booze intake coupled with a few twinges after paintballing meant that I didn't get out for a run until Monday night in Derry.

This week (week #3) has been very good. I've upped the mileage and found the long run (17M) fine yesterday,even though it was seriously windy. I managed to run some pretty scenic routes while I was in Donegal so it was a nice change from my usual routes in Dublin. Even though we ate out and drank most nights this week I think the fact that I wasn't working and was relaxed made training seem much easier. I'm going to make an effort to get to bed earlier now as I think it'll help my training..

Sunday 16.08.09

Day 7/Week 3
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

X-Training/ Cycle - 10.41M, Time: 37:11, avg. speed: 16.8mph, avg. hr: n/a - strap in the wash

Monday 17.08.09

Day 1/Week 4
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

LT Threshold Run- 10.51M w/ 5M @ 1/2 Marathon Pace, Time: 1:26:44, avg. pace: 8.15 mins/ miles, avg. hr: 162

5M splits = 7:00/ 7:11/ 7:17/ 7:06/ 6.58 avg. pace: 7:06, avg. hr: 177

Happy with this run. Felt quite tired during the 2nd of the LT miles but got into my stride after that. Sweated an unbelievable amount out there - even my shorts were soaking :o..

Got a pair of Saucony Triumph 6 in Up & Running in Belfast on Friday last. Got the gait analysis done and they recommended the Sauconys. They don't feel as sturdy as the Kayano 14 and my arches have been a bit tender after my last two runs in them but hopefully I'll get used to them shortly.

Looking forward to Longford 1/2 Marathon now. I was thinking alot about my target time during the run tonight. If I can keep the pace at c.7:10 I should be able to break 1:34. It'll be a tough one but hopefully I can do it.

Tuesday 18.08.09

Day 2/Week 4
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Recovery Run- 3M, Time: 29:26, avg. pace: 9.48 mins/ miles, avg. hr: didn't bring HRM.

Plan was to cycle to Kilternan pitches and do a 4M recovery run there on the grass as per the training plan. Legs were quite stiff today especially my calves so I was keen to get on softer ground. When I got to Kilternan there were a few soccer teams training and the pitches were all jammers so I headed to the woods instead and dumped the bike there and ran 3 slow & hilly miles. Total cycle there and back was c.7M so happy enough with the training session and the legs feel a bit looser now.

11M MLR tomorrow night.

Wednesday 19.08.09

Day 3/Week 4
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Medium Long Run- 11.5M, Time: 1:39:55, avg. pace: 8.41 mins/ miles, avg. hr: 147

Nice evening for a run. Bit of rain and not as warm as it has been of late. Legs were still tired and a little sore from Monday night's tempo run which was disappointing but they loosened out towards the end of the run. HR was noticeably lower than usual considering there were a few decent hills involved which is good to see.

Oh yeah - weighed myself after the run and I'm still a whopping 12.5 stone so a bit of work to be done on the diet front me thinks...

Took Thursday off.

Friday 21.08.09

Day 5/Week 4
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Run- 5.65M, Time: 47:29, avg. pace: 8.24 mins/ miles, avg. hr: 147

Saturday 22.08.09

Day 6/Week 4
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Planned to do a 19 mile long run at home on Saturday morning but 3 miles in I could feel a twinge in my lower right leg beside the achilles. This was where I had my injury pre-Edinburgh. It was getting worse, even after stretching, so I gave up after 6 Miles and rang home for a lift. Put ice on it for a few hours afterwards and that seemed to help.

Run- 6M, Time: 54mins, avg. pace: 9 mins/ miles, avg. hr: 14?

Sunday 23.08.09

Day 7/Week 4
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Run- 6.17M, Time: 51:38 mins, avg. pace: 8:22 mins/ miles, avg. hr: 147

Leg felt fine today so decided to try and get a few more miles in. Felt good and glad to report the leg is ok. Have booked a sports massage with the physio on Wednesday.

Mileage Total -

Week 1 - 33M

Week 2 - 32M

Week 3 - 46M

Week 4 - 43M (didn't complete the long run :()

Looks like you're going well, except for the slight twinge. Hope it amounts to nothing. How are you finding the program? It's pretty tough compared to HalHigdon, isn't it?

Looks like you're going well, except for the slight twinge. Hope it amounts to nothing. How are you finding the program? It's pretty tough compared to HalHigdon, isn't it?

It's quite tough alright. I'm thinking of giving the LT run a miss this week because of the twinge and I have Longford 1/2 next Sunday so want to be in good shape for that. I'll see how it goes though... It's actually my favourite session of the week even though it's by far the toughest.

I'd like to get more cycling in but there aren't enough hours in the day some times. I think one of the hardest things about the schedule is recovering in time for the next tough session.. e.g. Doing a long run on a saturday followed by a LT/VO2 Max session on the Monday.

Monday 24.08.09

Day 1/Week 5
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

Cycle - 22.16M, Time: 1:29:00 mins, avg. speed: 14.9 mph, avg. hr: 137

Up to Glencree and back. Nice cycle.

Tuesday 25.08.09

Day 2/Week 5
    of the P&D 12 Week Plan

AM - Jog - 3.17M Time: 32:34 mins, avg. pace: 10.16 mins/mile, avg. hr: 135

Early morning jog with the GF.

PM - LT Threshold Run- 10.53M w/ 6M @ 1/2 Marathon Pace, Time: 1:22:02, avg. pace: 7:47 mins/ miles, avg. hr: 157

6M splits = 7:26/ 7:26/ 7:18/ 7:13/ 7:10/ 6.58 avg. pace: 7:15, avg. hr: 171

Ran with two of my AmDam buddies around the lakes in Blessington. Great run - pleasantly surprised with how I felt during this run. Started off relatively slow for the first 2 miles but progressively lifted the pace after that and felt strong at the end.

Getting excited now about Longford 1/2 on Sunday. I'm thinking hard about what pace to go for. Previously I had planned to do 7:10 but now I'm thinking 7:05 or even 7:00 could be a possibility. This is my main race during the training program for Amdam so I'm going to give it everything. I'm a bit wary of going out to fast but the course is supposed to be pretty flat so it should be easy to keep a steady pace (as long as it's not too fast :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Great going rigal - based on your training you should be closer to 1:30 than 1:35!

Advertisement