Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times for improvement....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

hey rigal. Snap on the 10 mile runs today.

Best of luck at farmleigh on Sunday. i see you have a sub 20 in mind. Do your best to run by pace and don't get caught up in the race; I think if you go out too fast it can feel like an awful long way to hang on! If you can run at or a few seconds below target pace and keep the rhythm you'll be good. Also, i find it helps to find someone to sit behind and just follow a pair of heels.

how's your golf?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

asimonov wrote: »
    hey rigal. Snap on the 10 mile runs today.

Best of luck at farmleigh on Sunday. i see you have a sub 20 in mind. Do your best to run by pace and don't get caught up in the race; I think if you go out too fast it can feel like an awful long way to hang on! If you can run at or a few seconds below target pace and keep the rhythm you'll be good. Also, i find it helps to find someone to sit behind and just follow a pair of heels.

how's your golf?

Thanks asimonov. Am thinking along those lines alright.
    I'm hoping to get progressively faster each km up until 4kms (maybe 4.00/3.55/3.50/3.45) and then have a lash at it from there. Probably not the most sensible strategy but we'll see how it goes.

My golf is rusty at best. Have only played twice this year and didn't get out today beacuse of work commitments. I'm playing off 13 this year but 18 would probably be more accurate. I'm actually playing in my first golf competition this year after Farmleigh on Sunday :eek:... Do you play much yourself?

rigal wrote: »
    Thanks asimonov. Am thinking along those lines alright.
    I'm hoping to get progressively faster each km up until 4kms (maybe 4.00/3.55/3.50/3.45) and then have a lash at it from there. Probably not the most sensible strategy but we'll see how it goes.

My golf is rusty at best. Have only played twice this year and didn't get out today beacuse of work commitments. I'm playing off 13 this year but 18 would probably be more accurate. I'm actually playing in my first golf competition this year after Farmleigh on Sunday :eek:... Do you play much yourself?

Your pacing plan sounds on the button tbh.

I used to play pretty regularly (i'm off 13 as well) and i'm still a member of the club but running is consuming my free time at the moment. I played a couple of weeks ago and struggled with the usual mixed bag of ok and bloody awful. i think our marathon tapers more or less coincide, so it might be a good opportunity to play a game.

asimonov wrote: »
    Your pacing plan sounds on the button tbh.

I used to play pretty regularly (i'm off 13 as well) and i'm still a member of the club but running is consuming my free time at the moment. I played a couple of weeks ago and struggled with the usual mixed bag of ok and bloody awful. i think our marathon tapers more or less coincide, so it might be a good opportunity to play a game.

+1... There's just not enough hours in the day for golf as well.

A game sounds good and would be a welcome distraction from running at that stage :)

Saturday 04.07.09

Recovery Run - 2.25M, time: 18.51, avg pace: 8.21

Just ran down to the Luas stop with my mate who had to collect his car.

• Advertisement

Sunday 05.07.09

Race - Farmleigh 5k

Time: 19.48 (watch time - chip time tbc)

Mile Splits: 6.15 / 6.36 / 6.29 - avg pace of 5.44 over the last .1 of a mile.

Got there early with a mate of mine who I have recently convinced to do Amsterdam with me in October. He hasn't done much training recently due to injury and concentrating on soccer but is a good runner and has the potential to do some fast times (much faster than me!).

Weather was nice and there was a great atmosphere around the tented village and house. Loads of runners and families just sitting around chilling out. I had been looking forward to this all week and couldn't wait to get started.

We took our places a the start in front of the house about 10 mins before the gun. I was disappointed to see alot of walkers/joggers at the very front of the pack. There were about 30 people ahead of us and at least 50% were just out for a jog/walk as opposed to a race. There was a couple beside us with their young son (aged 7/8 max) who was a bit nervous. Couldn't believe parents would be so stupid to have their small kid up front with adults :confused:.

Anyways Sonia O'Sullivan pulled the trigger at 10.30 and we were off. The first km was slightly down hill so we managed to pass some slower runners. I must have set my garmin up wrong as it didn't record my km splits but we did the first km in about 3.49 I think.

After about 2kms we came to a section with a small incline and I wanted keep the pace up so left my mate who was starting to struggle. I was feeling very strong at this stage and passed out a couple of runners who had gone out too fast seemingly.

The second and third kms were done at about 4.00-4.05 pace and as I turned the corner to head back toward Farmleigh I could feel the legs getting tired. Anyway I pushed on, telling myself that there wasn't far to go. I caught up with a couple of runners who I stayed with until we got through the gates of the estate.

At this stage there was only about 500-600metres to go and I knew it was going to be tight going to get up the hill and over the line inside the 20mins. Then I could see the crowds (and finish line) in the distance and started to wind up the pace. I passed a few more guys and heard the commentator say that we were all still under 20mins as we approached the finish, a glance at the clock confirmed this and I was a happy man :).

My mate finished in just under 21mins and is now determined to get stuck into training ;).

In summary, great race and would recommend it to anyone looking to do a fast 5k. The location is great for families with kids and the race was very well organised with plenty of volunteers on hand. Slightly disappointed to get another cotton t-shirt as I can't wear them running but not a big deal really.

Looking forward to upping the mileage this week and will try and find another 5k in August. I think I could get much closer to 19mins with a bit more training and some weight loss!

well done rigal, good work on the sub 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

+1. Well done. On a flatter course you should get down to sub-19 easily.

Monday 06.07.09

AM - Up early for an easy cycle - did 14M in 55.24, average speed 15.1 mph, nice morning but much colder than last week.

PM - Usual Monday night route with hills -> 2M slow jog with the GF in Marlay park then ran home via Dundrum by myself.

7.41M total in 1.02.04, average pace 8.22 mins/mile.

Much faster than last 2 weeks and felt easy. Think the reason for this is I only had a few beers over the weekend!

Wednesday 08.07.09

AM - Cycle - did 14.8M in 1.09.24, average speed 12.8 mph, went up to Glencullen via Lamb Doyles and then across to Enniskerry. Very hill route with some tricky descents (for me anyway!) see linky -

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/8225269

PM - Medium Run with 4M @ Tempo pace (sub. 7.20 mins/mile)
    9.2M total in 1.12.24, average pace 7.52 mins/mile. Total sweatfest out there. Did the tempo miles early on in the run and then suffered on the run home. Good session though. Reckon the cycling is helping the running times.

• Advertisement

Two tough sessions in one day? Fair play to ya. And you didn't even stop in the Blue Light for a sneaky pint.. Waste of a good cycle. :)

Two tough sessions in one day? Fair play to ya. And you didn't even stop in the Blue Light for a sneaky pint.. Waste of a good cycle. :)

a pint of water is what I needed when I was passing by there yesterday morning...

You should check out that route some day as you'd probably enjoy tackling the climbs. I will issue a health warning though - don't do it if the roads are wet as some of the descents shortly after Glencullen are seriously steep...:eek:

Thursday 09.07.09

Speed session at UCD - 10 X 200m with 200m recovery, 4.03M Total

Splits were all 34-37 secs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I might have missed this but what plan are you following?

I might have missed this but what plan are you following?

No you haven't missed anything amadeus. I'm not following any plan really at the minute - it's pretty much base pace run + tempo + speed work + long run.

I will pull one together now in the next week or so. I'm reading a few different books (advanced marathoning and braintraining for runners) so will probably loosley base it on a plan from those and what I've learnt since I started running. The more I read the more I think that there's no one plan that's right for everyone.

Tonight's session was an attempt to increase basic speed and help me run faster in general. A problem I had with my last training cycle was that I neglected speed work and tempo runs and this caused me to struggle with any kind of faster paced work.

Saturday 11.07.09

LSR - 16 Miles, time: 2:17:15, average pace: 8:34 mins/mile

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/8525889

First two miles were done in Marlay Pk with the GF @ c.9.50mins pace so the remaining 14 averaged around 8.20 mins.

Didn't enjoy this run at all and struggled from the start. Would have been better delaying it until tomorrow but have other stuff on so wasn't an option. Only brought 1 gel and didn't have enough water dropped along the route.

Ran down to Sandymount and then across to Blackrock and up to Stepaside. The last 5 miles were tough going up hill so was very glad to get finished up. I'm away for a long weekend next week so will try to fit in another LSR on Wednesday night.

That's c.37miles done this week so far and am happy with that as it was my goal to up the mileage to >35 miles pw. I'll try to squeeze in a quick recovery run or cycle tomorrow at some stage.

Sunday 12.07.09

Easy (recovery) cycle - 10.48 Mile, time: 40.00mins, avg. speed: 15.7mph

Monday 13.07.09

Usual Monday night route with hills -> 2M slow jog with the GF in Marlay park then ran home via Dundrum by myself. I'll add another 2 miles to this next time.

7.3M total in 1.04.22, average pace 8.48 mins/mile.

Took it pretty handy as the legs were still a bit stiff from the long run on Saturday. I'll probably just do a short run on grass tomorrow night to give the legs a break from the roads.

Tuesday 14.07.09

Run - 3.46M, Time: 32:49, avg. pace: 9.29 mins/mile

Ran with a mate on the grass in Marley. Took it very easy and didn't bother looking at the watch to check pace. Long run planned for tomorrow night as I will be away this weekend.

I finally took delivery of the book "Advanced Marathoning" by Pfitzinger & Douglas yesterday and already I am seeing the sense in their training plans. I kind of wish I'd read this book before I started training for Edinburgh :rolleyes:.

Anyway I'm either going to jump in at week 6 of the 55 mile /18 wk plan or start the 12 week plan next week and take it from there. I'll decide when I've read a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice progress Rigal, keep it up. I'm drafting my latest schedule at the moment for Dublin. I'm going to take on board Tergat's advice to include 2 long runs per week (Weds and weekend) and put the other building blocks - tempo, intervals, recoveries - around that.

• Advertisement

I started the 24 week up to 55 mile program for Edinburgh, but adjusted it to fit in Connemara too. Didn't get to finish it unfortunately, but up until the injury I was flying. Currently on week 4 of the 12 week program.

For what it's worth (I'm hardly a poster child!) I'd recommend you go for the 12 week program instead of week 6 of the 18 week program, as at least you'll be starting at the beginning of an endurance cycle, instead of the end of one. Also, the weekly mileage increase will be more gradual (instead of jumping in at 50 mpw, it'll be 35mpw).

Nice progress Rigal, keep it up. I'm drafting my latest schedule at the moment for Dublin. I'm going to take on board Tergat's advice to include 2 long runs per week (Weds and weekend) and put the other building blocks - tempo, intervals, recoveries - around that.

Thanks Slogger. This place is a mine of useful information these days - Tergat''s posts in particular. I'll be following something similar to that on the P&D schedule. I think the tempo runs and second long run are what was missing from my Edinburgh training.

....For what it's worth (I'm hardly a poster child!) I'd recommend you go for the 12 week program instead of week 6 of the 18 week program, as at least you'll be starting at the beginning of an endurance cycle, instead of the end of one. Also, the weekly mileage increase will be more gradual (instead of jumping in at 50 mpw, it'll be 35mpw).

Cheers Krusty I think that's good sensible advice. I'll go with the 12 week plan. Will redo my spreadsheet now!

P.s. Did the sales commission from P&D pay for that nice bike of yours? ;)

LOL. For the last year I thought I was Hal Higdon's love-child, as I was recommending his training program so often.
    It was the good folks who handed me my redundancy cheque who paid for the bike. :P

Wednesday 15.07.09

Run - 11M, Time: 1:33:27, avg. pace: 8.29 mins/mile

Did this with two mates and felt good although knees were quite stiff afterwards. Finished the run down at Seapoint and had a quick dip. Damn it was cold :eek:

I'm away now from tomorrow until Monday. Heading up North and then we're taking my cousin's boat over to Turnberry on Friday morning for the British Open so hoping the weather will behave. I will pack the runners and try to squeeze in a run at some stage but the golf will take priority over all else for the next 4 days :D.

Sunday 19.07.09

Slow run - 5KM/3.2M - Time: 28:11, avg. pace: 8:49 mins/mile

Quick run in Troon before getting the ferry yesterday morning

Monday 20.07.09

Slow run - 2.82M - Time: 28:10, avg. pace: 9:58 mins/mile

Ran with the GF - this was the longest run she's ever done..:)

Tuesday 21.07.09

Run - 8M, time: 1:04:28, avg. pace 8:02 mins/mile

Lactate threshold run - 8 miles with 4 @ 1/2 marathon pace (sub.7:30 mins/mile) splits for LT were: (7.25/7.25/7.19/7.24)

Went for swim afterwards in Seapoint. That water ain't getting any warmer :o

Wednesday 22.07.09

Run - 5.5M, time: 48:43, avg. pace 8:51 mins/mile

Recovery run. Had planned to go further but felt last night in my legs from the outset.

Out tomorrow night with work so will try and get a run in on Friday night and Saturday morning (hopefully....)

Saturday 25.07.09

Run - 12.69M, time: 1:52:41, avg. pace 8:56 mins/mile

Not much to report. Felt grand, nice sunny morning for a run. Enjoying running at a slower pace for the longer runs. Definitely find it easier to cope with the heat.

• Advertisement

Sunday 26.07.09

Recovery Run - 3M, time: /avg. pace : n/a as didn't bother with the watch

Monday 27.07.09

Day 1/Week 1 of the P&D 12 Week Plan

General Aerobic + Speed w/ 10 x 100 Strides - 8.1M, time: 1:10:15, avg. pace: 8:41 mins/mile

Did the usual slow 2M in Marlay Park with the OH and then ran home myself. Found the strides tough on the hills but enjoyed doing something different.

Advertisement