Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times for improvement....

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Great result and report rigal! Fantastic for me as a marathon novice to see how things can work well with a bit of planning, real boost ahead of Monday :)

Good luck with whatever comes next...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Well done Rigal. Delighted to see you got your just desserts, and great pacing overall. I see your pace over the finish line was 5:29min/mile!!

Looks like the route was very flat. Would you recommend it for a fast marathon?

Cheers Krusty and thanks for pointing me in the right direction regarding which p&d schedule to go for a few months back!

I would definitely recommend it for a fast marathon. I can't imagine any other marathon being much flatter than this. There were very few inclines around the course and all were fairly short and of low gradient.

We also had perfect weather on the day which was also a contributing factor. I know that it can get quite windy in Amsterdam during the Autumn and Winter so we were lucky. Especially considering it was very windy on the Friday when we arrived.
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Congrats rigal, delighted for you. what do you plan for next year after your break?

Cheers kennyb3 - No solid plans as yet. My next marathon target is 3:15 and I'll need to do a fair bit of work to get to that level. I'll probably do some short stuff to get my speed up and plan to do a fair bit of cycling over the next 12 months. Hopefully not too much turbo training though ;).

A realistic goal might be to pick a marathon next Autumn and build up the training gradually for that.

Going to keep this log going until I get some new major goals or until 2010 - whichever comes first!

Sunday 25.10.09

Recovery Run - 35 mins - First outing since amdam - would guess it was c.9:15 pace. Legs still feeling a little twingey. Ran with my sis around the park at home in Derry - nice run to get back into the swing of things.

Monday 26.10.09

Recovery Run - 30 mins - c.8:45 pace (no watch).

Tuesday 27.10.09

General Aerobic Run - Dist: 5.14miles, time: 40:52, pace: 7:57, avg. HR: 162. Lovely run around Stepaside in the rain. Headed up Glenamuck Road for the first time in ages. Probably ran too fast tonight but it felt good to blow the cobwebs off after a week of inactivity.

Core work - 40 mins. Tried some new exercises. Confirmed that my core is weak as hell :o - especially on the right side where I had problems with my ITB Banc before the marathon. Really struggled with the reps and didn't complete a lot of them. Will keep plugging away though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Arnied

I was wondering if you were going to don the running clogs this evening, tonight reminded me of the training for Connemara i.e starting runs when it is completely dark, hope this burst of motivation keeps going:pac:.

I decided to sport my new Aldi running top with an erasuresque base layer and I was sweating loads, to cut a long story short, it is too warm for tights, I repeat no skins you creep:eek:.

Arnied wrote: »
    I decided to sport my new Aldi running top with an erasuresque base layer and I was sweating loads, to cut a long story short, it is too warm for tights, I repeat no skins you creep:eek:.

I had my aldi led arm band on - quality purchase I have to say.

I wore base layers top and bottom (i.e. tights) plus jacket and cap. Definitely over dressed but not uncomfortably so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

I got a load of things at the recent Aldi running equipment specials week.

However, most of the stuff was purchased too late to really get the feel of them and wear them for DCM yesterday - that is bar the glorious headband (which Arnied would have seen in all its glory on Fosters Ave).

I am looking forward to giving the tights a go... at least I think I am. I've never run in a pair of tights tho....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Arnied

Killerz wrote: »
    That is bar the glorious headband (which Arnied would have seen in all its glory on Fosters Ave).

I am looking forward to giving the tights a go... at least I think I am. I've never run in a pair of tights tho....

I thought I recognised the head wear Killer, don't succumb to the tight compressed dark side of the running force like rigal. I have to admit though once I slapped them on for the first time last year I was a lycra addict!

Wednesday 28.10.09

Tempo Run
    - Dist: 8.61miles (w/ 3M @ Tempo pace) , time: 1:09:32, pace: 8:04, avg. HR: 159.

3M WU + 3M @ Tempo pace -

Mile 1 - 6:59 (171)

Mile 2 - 7:05 (179)

Mile 3 - 7:01 (179)

Followed by 2.61M WD.

Tempo miles 1 & 2 were fine but we (Arnied & I) started to struggle during the final mile. Legs were quite stiff during the warm down. Amdam is definitely still in the legs.

That's 4 days of running in a row :eek:

Taking a few days off now as have plans for the next few evenings. I'll try to get a recovery run in at some stage over the weekend.

Monday 02.11.09

Recovery Run - 30 mins - c.9.00 pace (no watch).

Tuesday 03.11.09

General Aerobic Run - Dist: 5.10miles, time: 42:18, pace: 8:18, avg. HR: 156. Same route as last week but slower. Felt like a slog.

Core work - 20 mins.

Wednesday 04.11.09

TURBO - time: 1:04:00, avg. HR: 133.

First turbo session ever and what a sweat fest it was. Turbos are boring but I can handle that (not sure what that says about me :rolleyes:) and i reckon it's good to have an alternative to running on nights like tonight.

I threw in 4 mins at a high gear every 10 mins between 20-60 mins. The heart rate was well over 150 during these intervals so I was certainly working hard.

I'll look at getting a cadence sensor/ bike computer in the coming weeks so I can record more data. My rpm was c.95 during the intervals and c.80 for the rest of the time.

Thursday 05.11.09

General Aerobic Run
    - Dist: 3 miles, time: c.23 mins (no watch), pace: c.7:40, avg. HR: n;/a.

Quick run before heading out for drinks in town.

Saturday 07.11.09

Went to Kenmare for the weekend and it rained all day yesterday :rolleyes:...

Gym- 15 mins run / 10 mins ergometer / 15 mins of circuits.

Sunday 08.11.09

Cycle - Dist: c.10 miles speed: c. 18 mph. (Watch still not charged up!) First cycle in ages - felt good to get out again and found that the cycling shoes make a big difference in terms of speed and comfort.

My left lower left leg (near the achilles) has been aching for the past week or so. It's not very sore but starts to ache after running for 10-15mins. I think it's been like that since the tempo run I did Wednesday week ago.

Rather than risk making it worse I'll take a week off running now and concentrate on the turbo instead. I'm heading up North next weekend so I'll try to get c.3 x 1 hour + sessions in before next weekend.

Starting to think about goals again which is good. I'll start on a fresh log in a week or two me thinks..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭bourne99

Sorry - didn't realise your marathon was so soon! Just goes to show how aware I am these days..! Anyway, caught up with your report there - you got the sub 3:30 time - well done!!! Excellent stuff and very consistent splits! Hopefully someday I'll be able to repeat what you've done- Well done again!

Monday 09.11.09

TURBO
    - time: 1:00:00, avg. HR: 131. Included 2 x 10 mins intervals at a higher hr (1st interval: 144 / 2nd interval: 147).

Tuesday 10.11.09

Jogged a slow loop around Stepaside with the OH then jumped on the turbo for half an hour when I got home. Pretty easy training session. The left leg gave me no bother during the jog so am considering going for a proper run tomorrow night to see how it goes.

Jog -
    time: 28:02, distance: 2.5m, pace: 11:12, avg. HR: strap in the wash

TURBO - time: 30:00, avg. HR: as above. Effort: EASY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

That book arrived yesterday, thanks a million. It'll keep me busy for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

How are you finding the turbo Rigal? I think I might be asking Santy for one.

asimonov wrote: »
    That book arrived yesterday, thanks a million. It'll keep me busy for the next few weeks.

No probs - hope you enjoy it.
    showry wrote: »
    How are you finding the turbo Rigal? I think I might be asking Santy for one.

I find it good showry although I've only been using it for a week or so. I find that I need the tv on in order to keep my sanity. I tried it for 30 mins last night with just a bit of music on and it felt more like I was on there for 3 hours.

I know you can get turbos that can be used with virtual training videos etc so they might relieve the monotony somewhat although they are obviously pricier than the basic models.

I must have a look online for some turbo training plans once I get myself more organised - at the minute I'm just going by HR.

Saturday 14.11.09 & Monday 16.11.09

Core work: 30 mins (+15mins of stretching)

Tuesday 17.11.09

Jog/run Dist: 7.86m Time: 1:10:07 Avg pace: 8:55 Avg. HR: 152

First bit of proper exercise in a week. ITBS flared up again last week and legs have been sore ever since. The core work and stretching seems to be helping somewhat so decided to hit the roads tonight.

Jogged a slow loop (2.5m) around Stepaside with the OH then headed on to do my usual 5m route via Glenamuck on my own. The pace and HR above are distorted as the first 2.5 miles were at 10mins + pace. I picked it up (c.8:15 avg) once I was running on my own and felt good initially but by the time I hit the hill I was pretty tired. HR was 180+ going up Glenamuck.

Going to place a self-imposed ban on the turbo/cycling until I get the legs sorted. It seems everytime I get on the bike the ITBS gets worse.

Gagging to set up a new log and set some goals but I'll hang on until I am running consistently again.

Thursday 19.11.09

Jog/run Dist: 7.60m Time: 1:09:10 Avg pace: 9:05 Avg. HR: 150

Good session tonight. Same as Tuesday except jogged 2.75 miles instead of 2.5 with the OH - she's getting better.

I was feeling okish by the time I got to Glenamuck so decided to pick up the pace on the hill, averaged 7:44 pace on the hill (0.86 miles/ avg HR: 184/Maxed at 191 :eek:) so pretty happy with that. Right ITB was at me after that so stopped for a stretch on the way back to stepaside for 30secs. Ended up forgetting to restart my watch until about 0.5 miles later so ran over 8 miles in total. Pace was just under 8:00 on the flat which felt comfortable so nice to know I'm getting back into the swing of things again.

Saturday 21.11.09

Tempo Run Dist: 3m Time: ??? Avg pace: ????

Went out yesterday evening in the middle of the wind and rain. Decided to just do a short quick run so did the 3 mile route around Stepaside. Ran 0.5 mile as a warm up and then decided to run 2 miles fast -

Mile 1: 6:27 (avg. HR - 172 - lots of downhill on this mile)

Mile 2: 6:51 (avg. HR - 190 :eek: - some up hill on this mile)

Had to walk for a bit after the second mile as the lungs were on fire. Ended up stopping my watch by mistake when I hit the lap button (second time this week :rolleyes:). Total distance was 3 miles and legs felt ok after. I'll start doing proper interval/tempo sessions next week.

Core work: 20 mins

Sunday 22.11.09

MLR
    - Dist: 8.80 miles, time: 1:10:56, pace: 8:03, avg. HR: 164

We had a few people over last night, lots of booze consumed and didn't get to bed until 3:30am so I am pleased just to have got out for any kind of run today.

I was pretty much dehydrated from the start and the high winds were most unwelcome but I persevered and actually felt strong at the end of the run which was surprising.

Happy with my training this week. It's the first bit of consistent running I've done since Amsterdam.

• Advertisement

_________________:D End of Log :D_____________________

I'm closing this log now and will start a new one with revised goals in the next few days.

My main running goals at the start of this log were -

run a 5k race - Did the Farmleigh 5k in 19:50 in July

Sub-1:35 1/2 in Longford - ran 1:34:00

Sub- 3:30 Marathon in Amsterdam - ran 3:26:47

I had also planned to do a duathlon but didn't have time with all the running and also go sub 42 mins for 10k and I ran 42:2x in Blessington :mad:.

A big thanks to everyone who posted and gave me advice over the past 6 months - I appreciated all your posts....

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭OI

Nice one rigal, enjoyed the log, well done again on the goals. Cheers for the advice along the way. BTW, how are your ITBs these days. Still struggling with mine. Did you ever take a long period of rest or what do you think is the course of treatment most responsible for keeping it at bay.

OI wrote: »
    Nice one rigal, enjoyed the log, well done again on the goals. Cheers for the advice along the way. BTW, how are your ITBs these days. Still struggling with mine. Did you ever take a long period of rest or what do you think is the course of treatment most responsible for keeping it at bay.

Thanks OI.

I'm still struggling with ITBS although it has improved since I stopped cycling. I took a break from running after the marathon for a few weeks to do cycling instead and it seems to have back fired. Now that I am back running again I might visit the physio again soon if there's not much improvement this week. I am finding the stretching and core exercises of benefit though.

The treatment that sorted the problem the last time and got me to the start line in amsterdam was "dry needling" - it is very uncomfortable to have done the first time but the benefits can be felt within a day or two i.e. ITB band is released and thigh/knee pain is relieved. I'd recommend it.

Advertisement