Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Times for improvement....

Options
  • 14-06-2009 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Decided it's a good time for me to start a training log here. I've been following other ones for the past 6 months and found them very useful.

I've been running regularly for about 8 months now. I've done a few races, the most recent and significant one was the Edinburgh Marathon last month. It was my first marathon and I was aiming to go under 3hrs30mins but the high temperatures on the day killed me and I came in just under 3hrs49mins. Despite the time I still had a great experience on the day and it's made me want to go out and do another later this year and realise my goal. I've signed up for Amsterdam in October, had planned to do Dublin but can't now.

I bought a road bike last week so plan to do a few extra sessions a week on that. Plan for June is to just ease myself back into running and enjoy it again.

These are my planned goals/races for the next 6 months or so-

01/07/09 - Dublin Duathlon Series - race 3 (1st one so no idea of target time yet)

31/08/09 - Longford 1/2 Marathon - target time: sub 1.35 (pb: 1.41 @ Conn'09)

18/10/09 - Amsterdam Maraton - target time: sub 3.30

Also want to do a flat 5k (never done one) and 10k (pb: 42.xx Lifecycle'08) at some point during the summer.

I'm a 28 year old guy - 6 ft tall and weigh 12.5 stone.

Any advice or criticism is most welcome :)..

rigal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Monday - 3M Slow run

Wednesday - AM - 10M Bike Slow- PM -3M Slow run

Thursday - AM - 10M Bike Fast - PM -3M Slow run

Saturday - 25M Bike Easy

ITB and calves are still a little tight from the marathon. Plan to start doing some proper running this week and will start stretching the legs daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Ahh see, I saw riGAL and thought I'd be in Amsterdam and get to have beers with a hottie :D

Good luck with the training, 18 weeks from this week so it all starts now...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

best of luck rigal, it will be interesting to see if you can progress both the cycling and the running at the same time - or if one will outstrip the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Best of luck with the goals and the log. I have a couple of days before I start my own marathon training for Berlin, if the injury recovery continues as planned.

What kind of bike did you buy? How do you rate it? I'm on the lookout at the moment.

What kind of bike did you buy? How do you rate it? I'm on the lookout at the moment.

I bought a Trek 1.2 road bike off a friend. He bought it up in Omagh last month - http://www.kilgrewscycles.ie/products/bikes/road.html

He used it twice and then found out that his work were joining the BTW scheme so he decided to upgrade. I don't know much about bikes and only had MTB's when I was younger but it's a flying machine. I'm loving it so far. I've done some steep hills around Wicklow in it and find it surprisingly manageable. A lot easier than running up them anyways...

I've also heard good things about the Giant defy and Specialized allez which are around the same price I think. You should have a look in the Cycling Forum - loads of good info and tips there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Welcome to the training logs Rigal. It'll keep you honest. Nice bike. Its something I'd like to acquire someday too.

Thanks for the comments guys..

Monday 15.06.09

AM - Up early for an easy cycle - did 14M in 54.44, average speed 15.3 mph, took in a few hills and enjoyed the sunny start to the day.

PM - 2M slow jog with the GF in Marlay park then ran home via Dundrum by myself. 6.3M total in 57.18, average pace 9.06 mins/mile (slow but it was pretty much uphill the whole way after Dundrum!)

Delighted to get my first proper run since Edinburgh done tonight. Felt very sluggish initially but the further I ran the better I felt.

Tuesday 16.06.09

AM - Quick circuits session - 2 sets x 15 reps of each:
    1. Crunches
    2. Romanian deadlift with dumbells
    3. Squats and overhead presses with dumbells
    4. Bicep curls
    5. One arm swings
    6. Seated row crunches
    7. Press-ups
    Will try and do these at least once a week as the weight bearing exercises are particlarly good for stretching out the legs. Good for injury prevention me thinks..

PM - 25M Cycle - time: 1:44:35, average speed: 14.4mph

Nice route up to Glencree via Enniskerry but a big climb (for me). Took it really handy on the descent as didn't want a repeat of Saturday when I came off on sharp corner and ended up in the bushes. Felt good at the end so picked it up for the last 3 miles.

Wednesday 17.06.09

PM - run in Shanganagh Park- 2.22M slow jog with GF then did a
    3M Tempo run on my own - time: 21.52, avg pace: 7.16 (splits: 7.14/7.30/7.05) Felt pretty good given it's the first bit of fast(ish) running I've done in about 4 weeks.

Will try and do these more regularly than in the past and will increase the distance gradually each week. Must get a proper training plan together for Amsterdam....

Thursday 18.06.09

PM - run from home- 6M, time: 46.33 , avg pace: 7.44

Enjoyed the run but went a bit fast at the start and should have held back some energy to face my old nemesis from winter training -Glenamuck Road as it was tough going getting up to Kiltiernan.

• Advertisement

Saturday 20.06.09

AM - Long run - 14M, time: 1.52.38 , avg pace: 8.03

Ran with a mate at home who I used to row with years ago. He's been racing half-marathons and is a good bit faster than me so he was very comfortable at this pace. Pretty happy that I kept it around the 8mins mark as it was a nasty morning for a run - windy with rain. Nice to run around Derry as a change from Dublin. Took in the two Bridges along the route.

That's my running done for the week now - 32M total - might get a cycle in tomorrow evening back in Dublin if I've got time.

Had been toying with the idea of doing the multimarathon next week in Dublin but think I'll give it a miss as it's a bit too soon for another long race. Ordered "the stick" last night online from cyclesuperstore (ecoli's recommendation) so hoping that will help loosen out the calve muscles when the training steps up another notch.

Sunday 21.06.09

PM - 30 Mins Cycle - 8.34M , Average speed: 16.6mph

Monday 22.06.09

Same as last Monday - 2M jog with the GF in Marlay park then ran home via Dundrum by myself. 6.12M total in 53.44, average pace c.8.50 mins/mile (slow - but again lots of hill). Nice night for a run and good to burn off the excesses of the weekend. Could have done with training in warm weather like this before Edinburgh :rolleyes:

Tuesday 23.06.09

PM - 25M Cycle - time: 1:39:47, average speed: 15.2mph

Same as last Tuesday (but faster :D)

Really enjoyed getting out on the bike tonight. I was tempted to go for another run but glad I didn't now. It was pretty hot on the way up to Glencree and I was sweating alot :o but I knew I was going well when I arrived at Glencree about 4 minutes earlier than last week. I went alot faster on the descent and gave it socks on the way home from Enniskerry. Starting to feel more confident on the bike now and may order a pair of cycling shoes sooner than planned.

I took delivery of the "stick" today so gave it a go after the cycle. It certainly loosened up my calves but it'll be interesting to to see how it performs after a long run..

Looks like you're going well. Do you have a mapmyrun route/link for that Glencree cycle route? I'm looking for some cycle routes further afield now, with some hill climbs and a bit of distance.

You must be living in my general locality, as we run many of the same roads. I'm a short walk from Shanganagh Park.

Looks like you're going well. Do you have a mapmyrun route/link for that Glencree cycle route? I'm looking for some cycle routes further afield now, with some hill climbs and a bit of distance.

You must be living in my general locality, as we run many of the same roads. I'm a short walk from Shanganagh Park.

Cheers KC - yeah things are getting better on the bike this week.

I'll try and download the route onto mapmyride and post it here for you. I recently gave up on mapmyrun/ride as my pc was crashing when downloading longer routes. If I can't download it I'll just map it.

I'm in Stepaside. Wish i was closer to Shanganagh - we started running there pretty recently just to get a change from Marlay and to run on grass. It's a great place to train. I'm sure we'll cross paths at some stage over the summer!

This is roughly the route I took:

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/ireland/stepaside/121124579761424242

Not sure if after Bahana I went onto the R760 or not (don't think so) but I just followed the signs for Enniskerry.

Brilliant thanks! Will give that a go, but might need to hook up my gps to the bike first!

Did that route earlier. Some very nice stretches. I thought the road up to Glencree would be steeper/harder, but it wasn't that bad. I found the stretches in and out of Enniskerry much more difficult, but my legs were tired from yesterday's training run. Thanks for the map. Will definitely visit the route again. If you're looking for a shorter route with hill climbs, I recommend the roads around Carigologan, which isn't too far away, but will definitely give you a decent cardio workout with the hills! I've posted a load of routes on my training log. Just look for references to Carigologan. Also the road up to Glencullen/Johnny Foxes is a good running/cycling route.

Wednesday 24.06.09

PM - run in Shanganagh Park- 2M jog with GF then did a
    4M Tempo run on my own - time: 28.59, avg pace: 7.15 (splits: 7.14/7.19/7.19/7.09)

Beautiful night to be out (again!) but the heat got me during the third mile and started to feel a bit dehydrated. Managed to hang on and somehow put in a decent last mile even though some of it was slightly uphill so very happy overall. I was really gasping for air during the last bit. It's been a while since I pushed myself this hard and I was like a drowned rat when I got back to the car.

I'll try and squeeze in a short spin on the bike tomorrow morning before work and then that'll be me until Saturday - I'm out tomorrow night with a few mates and then again on Friday night with work. Shame to undo the good work so far this week but I'll enjoy the pints!

Saturday 27.06.09

AM - 7M recovery run (as in recovering from two nights on the sauce!)
    Pace: 8.40 approx.

Not sure of the actual time/pace as the garmin gps didn't kick in for 1/2 mile or so. Ran the first couple of miles with a mate who's just getting back into it. Nice to have a bit of company on a run again.

• Advertisement

Sunday 28.06.09

Midday - 12M Long run. Time:1.38.18 Pace: 8.11

Surprised I was able to get around at this pace. I was feeling ropey after the 1st mile which is downhill :eek:. This may have been because I had more beer along with an indian last night. Not good prep for a long run. I had been planning to do 15M but I knew the weather was too hot to go that far given how I was feeling. I was totally saturated by the end of the run. Even my shorts were ringing. I think I must have superhuman sweat glands..:o

Not a bad week of training all things considered but could have done with putting a few extra miles in. Also need to end the post Edinburgh party and start eating right and cutting down on the booze in take.

I haven't really got a plan together for training this coming week. Am considering doing the Duathlon in the Phoenix Park on Wednesday but also want to do the 5k race there on Sunday and I need to get a long run in somehow. On top of that I have two golf games organised and will be busy in work. Guess I'll see what I can squeeze in.

Tuesday 30.06.09

AM - Recovery run that should have been done yesterday but was too wrecked after work last night so just went for a walk with the GF instead. 3.31 Miles, time: 28.38, avg. pace: 8.39.

PM -Bike - 10.96 Miles, time: 36.58, avg. speed: 17.8 mph. This the fastest session I've put in on the bike, on the usual route, since I started a few weeks ago. Pretty happy given I had a run this morning and a long day at work.

Have to try and find more time for the bike - every time I get out for a spin it puts a big smile on my face.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

got my cycling shoes and pedals sorted on the bike and been using them the last few days and would highly recommend you do the same!! you get way more power out of them, i ve found myself much quicker since i got them

kennyb3 wrote: »
    got my cycling shoes and pedals sorted on the bike and been using them the last few days and would highly recommend you do the same!! you get way more power out of them, i ve found myself much quicker since i got them

Cheers kennyb3 - I think I'll invest soon alright. Which ones did you go for? Any issues taking your shoes out at the lights etc?

Hope the achilles heals up soon for you but at least it's the summer and you can get out on the bike a fair bit. If I hadn't signed up for Amsterdam in October I'd be getting out much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

rigal wrote: »
    Cheers kennyb3 - I think I'll invest soon alright. Which ones did you go for? Any issues taking your shoes out at the lights etc?

Hope the achilles heals up soon for you but at least it's the summer and you can get out on the bike a fair bit. If I hadn't signed up for Amsterdam in October I'd be getting out much more.

thanks, got the shimano r086 shoes and look keo classic pedals. no issues at all getting them out - have them on the loosest tension to start with. did fall over once tho - as some old biddy in the car jammed on before i got a chance to get the foot out. fell over sideways onto the curb to avoid scratching her car. quite embarrassing!! ah yeah im going to take a total break from running now for a while

The pedals on my friends bike are half and half (clips one side, standard pedals the other side) which is a handy arrangement. I've had no problems with the clipless pedals except at one stage, where I unclipped the shoe while slowing at traffic lights and then accidentally (unknowingly) clipped it back in again before stopping. Almost ended in disaster. Caused a big spike in my heart rate monitor. :)

@ Kennyb3 - that must have been a funny sight, hopefully not too sore on you though! A similar thing happened to a guy in work here who fell over at a set of traffic lights and was on the ground flapping like a fish trying to get the shoes free.

@ KC - Did I see you on the Scalp last night heading towards Enniskerry? I passed someone on the other side of the road in a blue Conn. t-shirt so though it might have been you.

Nope, was not I. Would be a regular route for me (particularly on foot) but did my run yesterday in the morning, followed by physio, so took the rest of the day off. :)

Wednesday 01.07.09

PM - Cycle - leisurely pace to and from UCD - 9.5 miles c. 40 mins
    Run - Speedwork @ UCD Running Track 7kms including 3 x 1k at 5k pace with 600m recovery in between. Splits were 3.40 / 3.44 / 3.47

Met up with my Edinburgh training partner for the first time since the marathon. He hasn't been doing much so he did c.600m when I did 1km. I probably should have done a few more repeats but it was roasting out there and this was my first track session since mid-May. My aim for this was to determine what kind of pace I can run on Sunday in the Farmleigh 5k at Phoenix Park ( haven't done a 5k before).

Before this session I was thinking sub 20 was beyond me at the moment but this has got me thinking that it's now a possibility if the course is relatively flat. Here's hoping...:cool:

• Advertisement

Thursday 02.07.09

PM -Bike, leisurely pace again -10.45M, Time:40.43, avg speed:15.3 MPH

Friday 03.07.09

PM -Run, -10M, Time: 1:25.34, avg pace: 8:33mins/mile

Plan was to do 12M at 8:30 pace. Didn't feel great out there. Hot and bothered for most of it and had a stitch for the first 3-4 miles. Should have enjoyed it as it was lovely conditions with a nice breeze. Had this Sunday's 5k race in the back of my mind so held back the pace and decided to cut it back to 10M.

On a positive note I've persuaded my Edinburgh training partner to do Amsterdam so looks like I'll have some company for my long runs in future which is good as I'm finding them a bit tedious on my own.

I'm just looking at my mileage so far this week (only 18M!) and I'm really going to try and increase it now over the next fortnight. I'll try and do a medium run during the week of c.9-11 miles plus a tempo and speed session and then a long run at the weekend. I want to be running 5 times a week from now on.

Also still @ 12.5 stone after being c.12 in May so I'm going to try and squeeze in 2-3 bike sessions in the mornings before work and start eating sensibly again.

Advertisement