Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Worztron wrote: »
    Will the new 61000 stadium also be called WHL? I hope so.

We are trying to flog the naming rights for $400m so while we can call it the lane it won't be the official name....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

Inquitus wrote: »
    We are trying to flog the naming rights for $400m so while we can call it the lane it won't be the official name....

:(

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hanwellian

I heard from someone that works in the backroom that they will make the playing surface smaller, bring in the touchlines etc, make it a bit more snug.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

I was looking at the fixtures, God Chelsea have an easy run in, realistically all you can maybe see is Everton beating them and maybe West Brom scraping a draw, after that the rest is cannon fodder

• Advertisement

Let's be realistic, Chelsea have had this sewn up for weeks, how we have stayed within 8 points or less is some feat considering the lack of mental toughness we have had over the years.
    The difference this year is results are being ground out, classic example Crystal Palace, when normally they would have settled for a point.

Our run-in is unfortunate, if Chelsea had had to have played another top 4-5 team, there may have been hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Peter File

Hanwellian wrote: »
    Let's be realistic, Chelsea have had this sewn up for weeks, how we have stayed within 8 points or less is some feat considering the lack of mental toughness we have had over the years.
    The difference this year is results are being ground out, classic example Crystal Palace, when normally they would have settled for a point.

Our run-in is unfortunate, if Chelsea had had to have played another top 4-5 team, there may have been hope.

The lack of European football is what won the league for Chelsea. Spurs have been pretty unbeatable in the league since they were knocked out of Europe.

Peter File wrote: »
    The lack of European football is what won the league for Chelsea. Spurs have been pretty unbeatable in the league since they were knocked out of Europe.

Partly, but too many drawn games for us also, particularly start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

If they drop points vs Everton then there's a chance. A bloody good chance but if they win then it's over for another year. I won't be too disappointed.

.. All I want to see is progress and year on year there are definitely been progress in terms of points gained, goals scored, conceded and clean sheets

If they drop points vs Everton then there's a chance. A bloody good chance but if they win then it's over for another year. I won't be too disappointed.

.. All I want to see is progress and year on year there are definitely been progress in terms of points gained, goals scored, conceded and clean sheets

Exactly, been a real pleasure to watch them these last two seasons, haven't been as pleased or impressed since Harry Redknapp was in charge.

• Advertisement

Hanwellian wrote:
    Exactly, been a real pleasure to watch them these last two seasons, haven't been as pleased or impressed since Harry Redknapp was in charge.

Agreed. Playing much better in fact. The team spirit and the urge to play for the manager is just as good as it was aswuth HR but tactically and defensively we are strides ahead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,067 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Alderweireld has rejected a new deal apparently, and wan't a release clause added. It says he's on 53k per year though...we need to offer him significantly more if we hope to keep him.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/alderweireld-stalls-on-new-spurs-deal-over-lack-of-release-clause-w2tpbx67k

No quotes for any of the article, so it's probably the usual bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

It is surprising you can have so much harmony in the dressing room with such a disparity in wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭joeguevara

GS11 wrote: »
    It is surprising you can have so much harmony in the dressing room with such a disparity in wages.

Delle AlliDanny Rose, Trippier and Vertonghen are the only ones needed to be renegotiated.

Id put Alli, Rose and Vertonghen all on 100k for 5 years immediately.

PlayersAgeWeekly WageContract LeftContract Until
    Hugo Lloris 30 £120,000 3 Years 2019
    Michel Vorm 33 £22,000 2 Years 2018
    Jan Vertonghen 29 £100,000 2 Years 2018
    Kyle Walker 26 £70,000 5 Years 2021
    Toby Alderweireld 27 £75,000 4 Years 2020
    Ben Davies 23 £30,000 3 Years 2019
    Danny Rose 26 £30,000 5 Years 2021
    Kieran Trippier 26 £35,000 4 Years 2020
    Kevin Wimmer 24 £30,000 5 Years 2021
    Eric Dier 22 £70,000 5 Years 2021
    Dele Alli 20 £50,000 6 Years 2022
    Victor Wanyama 25 £70,000 5 Years 2021
    Christian Eriksen 24 £75,000 4 Years 2020
    Moussa Sissoko 27 £95,000 5 Years 2021
    Moussa Dembele 29 £80,000 3 Years 2019
    Harry Winks 20 £20,000 3 Years 2019
    Kevin N’Koudou 21 £20,000 5 Years 2021
    Tom Carroll2 4 £25,000––
    Vincent Janssen 22 £25,000 4 Years 2020
    Erik Lamela 24 £70,000 2 Years 2018
    Heung Min Son 24 £85,000 4 Years 2020
    Harry Kane 23 £100,000 4 Years 2020
    Josh Onomah 19 £20,000 4 Years 2020

This is part of the reason I mention Vertonghen might be the one to leave this summer. He's at a stage in his career where he has 1 big move left in him.

Id add Davies to that list. 30k, less then half what Walker is currently on.

Edit - Sissoko on 90k. Jesus wept.

Looking at that list, I really worry about the inevitable bids from "bigger" teams. I'm all for loyalty, but if someone offers to quadruple your wages (Alli would probably be offered 200k on his form and potential), it would be very hard to say no. I still think we need to up our wage bill. I'm not suggesting doing a Leicester or Leeds, but we will lose some of these players if we don't offer them more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭gar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

gar wrote: »
    That doesn't sound great,hope he's ok.

Read it this morning. Unreal. Shows how mental health issues can affect anyone, regardless of wealth of position.

Feel bad for laughing at those photos when he signed for Everton now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I see fans of other clubs saying that Walker has a problem with Pepsi.. .. or was it another brand ??

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Interesting, is he good friends with Lamela.

I'd be sorry to lose Walker, think he is great, especially with a back 3. Walker and Rose's pace have caused loads of teams problems this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

heres my two cents on the walker situation...
    Poch has told him he cant play two games a week as hes not capable of maintaining the standard required, walker claims that he is... meanwhile we have trippier who is an ample replacement ready to step in.
    I reckon its bye bye walker this summer, thanks and all that but in Poch I trust.

And what if Tripp gets injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Walker is a class player....I doubt porch will want to let him go...trippier is good but wouldn't be at walkers standard yet....keep both is the best thing for the club!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,236 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

joeguevara wrote: »
    Walker is a class player....I doubt porch will want to let him go...trippier is good but wouldn't be at walkers standard yet....keep both is the best thing for the club!

Until either of them get their head turned by the lure of Loadsmoney at Man****ty or elsewhere.....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭slegs

I can see walker going. They will have to draw a line somewhere at wage demands. Walker is 27 now so he probably sees his next contract/move as his big one. Trippier looks good enough as a replacement and I am sure we are already scouting others as backup to Trippier.
    I am more worried about rumours about Alderweireld who is less replacable and probably the best centre half in the league

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

slegs wrote: »
    I can see walker going. They will have to draw a line somewhere at wage demands. Walker is 27 now so he probably sees his next contract/move as his big one. Trippier looks good enough as a replacement and I am sure we are already scouting others as backup to Trippier.
    I am more worried about rumours about Alderweireld who is less replacable and probably the best centre half in the league

Yeah. Give Toby the €€€€ instead of walker....

Would agree re toby, he is class, show him the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Advertisement