Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

^^^ is that pay as you go or bill pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm not on Vodafone at the moment GranH, and have zero wish to return to them :D
    Meteor (who I'm with) don't think they'll be doing the N900 :(
    So it'll have to be an unlocked model.

ya the one from o2 is factory unlocked (reason i bought it off them)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

ya the one from o2 is factory unlocked (reason i bought it off them)
    Yeah, but it's €470 :D If that's the cheapest, that's the cheapest, but I thought I'd ask just in case...

ya thats the cheapest i found its 600 with expansys generally its between 500 - 600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

jessconr wrote: »
    you should try out RTE player with those settings. I bet the playback is much smoother.

It is smoother alright, but still choppy. Just about bordering on watchable :(

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Just don't put that thing in your trouser pocket. :eek:

I was wondering what the smell was! :o

Really though, I've been keeping an eye on the temp, both by feeling it
    and by looking at /sys/devices/platform/omap34xx_temp/temp1_input

I haven't noticed any difference between the stock kernel and the 900mhz- 500 in either case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

I accidentally deleted the folder that contains all the nokia ringtones etc from the sounds folder. I managed to download a torrent of the sounds but can anyone tell me what I should rename folder in order for the phone to detect the tones.

Nephew wrote: »
    I accidentally deleted the folder that contains all the nokia ringtones etc from the sounds folder. I managed to download a torrent of the sounds but can anyone tell me what I should rename folder in order for the phone to detect the tones.

Looks like they should be in /usr/share/sounds

screenshotterminal.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Thanks, mwrf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

the female micro usb connection broke today. cant charge my phone anymore. gonna have to hand it in to a vodafone store to get it fixed. Not too impressed :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the female micro usb connection broke today. cant charge my phone anymore. gonna have to hand it in to a vodafone store to get it fixed. Not too impressed :mad:
    i'ver not been impressed with nokia charging in general since they got rid of the old fat connector for the thin one with the n95 and then they went and changed it again to mincousb for everything.

i know its supposed to be better, but imho it would have been better with miniusb and charging n general would have been better if they'd kept the orignal fatter round charger as i never had any problems with that in maybe 4 or 5 phones but i've had nothing but trouble with the thinner one and microusb now.

aside from anything it's a PITA to put in in the dark or in the car. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Uh oh, came across a massive thread talking about the same problem :eek: Let us know how you get on jessconr. This is worrying!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'ver not been impressed with nokia charging in general since they got rid of the old fat connector for the thin one with the n95 and then they went and changed it again to mincousb for everything.

i know its supposed to be better, but imho it would have been better with miniusb and charging n general would have been better if they'd kept the orignal fatter round charger as i never had any problems with that in maybe 4 or 5 phones but i've had nothing but trouble with the thinner one and microusb now.

aside from anything it's a PITA to put in in the dark or in the car. :mad:
    Every single phone sold in the EU (From next year) must be able to charge by Micro USB, that means even the iPhone will have a micro usb charger. The thin pin charger was horrible, it kept snapping.

Seems as if Nokia are responding - see the comments on this page. A wee bit of reassurance to lend weight to any complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Every single phone sold in the EU (From next year) must be able to charge by Micro USB, that means even the iPhone will have a micro usb charger. The thin pin charger was horrible, it kept snapping.
    yeah, i've read about that i just wish they'd done a bit more research and chosen a more reliable format that's more user friendly and less prone to problems. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

I was told by vodafone technical support that I'm covered under warraunty so there should be no problem getting it fixed. The thing thats pi*sing me off is that vodafone wont just exchange my phone for a new one when the problem is a known issue

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bedlam wrote: »
    If you are worried about it breaking on you, you could try smegheadz solution back on page 111 of this thread. Works a charm.

Yeah i did that just in case when i heard about the issue. I found the connections were over tight with both the charger and the usb, they're grand now though.

Thanks for the tip re filing down the USB connectors - I will do that myself now. However, having read much more online since, I'm still very concerned about the durability of the connection as a whole. As someone who expects ordinary mobile phones to last a couple of years at least, I worry that this is a serious design fault that will end the life of this phone much too early - maybe even just out of the so-called warranty period :(
    At least Nokia seem to be taking heed now, although the responses people are getting are not universal and there's a long way to go with a problem that is showing up so early and so frequently. I have to say that if I had read about this problem before I purchased the N900, I'd be thinking long and hard about whether I was prepared to endure the possible hassle with such an expensive device.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Domscard wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip re filing down the USB connectors - I will do that myself now. However, having read much more online since, I'm still very concerned about the durability of the connection as a whole. As someone who expects ordinary mobile phones to last a couple of years at least, I worry that this is a serious design fault that will end the life of this phone much too early - maybe even just out of the so-called warranty period :(
    At least Nokia seem to be taking heed now, although the responses people are getting are not universal and there's a long way to go with a problem that is showing up so early and so frequently. I have to say that if I had read about this problem before I purchased the N900, I'd be thinking long and hard about whether I was prepared to endure the possible hassle with such an expensive device.

If it's a known design issue which this seems to be then you could still get it repaired outside of the warranty period. If they chose not to repair it for you you then the small claims court would be your best bet. If you could show that it is a common fault with the phone (didn't nokia admit this, if so that would help as well) and that it wasn't due to mis-use then chances are you'd win in the small claims court.

• Advertisement

If it's a known design issue which this seems to be then you could still get it repaired outside of the warranty period. If they chose not to repair it for you you then the small claims court would be your best bet. If you could show that it is a common fault with the phone (didn't nokia admit this, if so that would help as well) and that it wasn't due to mis-use then chances are you'd win in the small claims court.

Yeah, you're absolutely right - and there's no point in troubling trouble, as they say :) I'll go back to enjoying my N900 now.

just got my n900 there yesterday got to say what a phone :)

just got my n900 there yesterday got to say what a phone :)

Enjoy :) Did you get the Webtexter set up ok?

nah for some reason it keeps telling me unable to log into provider any ideas? im with meteor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

First letter of password is automatically capitalised, try "un-capitalising" it

Stee wrote: »
    First letter of password is automatically capitalised, try "un-capitalising" it

Just in in front of me :) It supports Meteor, so should be no problem apart from the above. Great application.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Speaking of the webtexter app. How much data does it use for every text sent does anyone know?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Speaking of the webtexter app. How much data does it use for every text sent does anyone know?

I heard cabbage only cost about .25c to send a message. I imagine this is something similar. I could be wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

If you use it with the option to use the cabbage proxy it should be the same as Cabbage so around what AlmightyCushion said (I think)

Without the cabbage scripts it will be more but I haven't tested the amount of data used as I would assume that most people who have a N900 are going to have a data plan.

If you want to get a very rough number for the amount of data when not using the cabbage proxy, open the webtext page for your provider, check the page size (view page info in firefox) and multiply it by 3.
    For O2 this would work out about 25Kb worth of data

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If folks here had to choose a phone to buy now would you still go for the N900 over something like the HTC Desire?

Advertisement