Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Bambi wrote: »
    Man, I thought I'd lost mine on friday, turned out I'd just left it in work :eek:

*hugs N900 and never lets go*

I actually dropped mine onto a tile floor while under the confluence at the weekend. :o

No damage thankfully.

And the phone is fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Thanks for the tips all.. I basically spent all day yesterday trying to fix this thing.

I had it on charge for an hour or so and tried turning it on then, the second i press the power button the display lights up with a black screen - nothing is display.

I tried hooking it up to the TV-out and I get a big line in the middle of the screen and then I get black and white lines flashing on the tv.

I managed to create an Ubuntu LiveCD and boot into ubuntu that way, install Flasher 3.5 and flash the device which completed successfully but the n900 still won't power on correctly.

This leads me to believe that it is now a hardware issue - possibly the ribbon connecting the screen has come loose, i'm very tempted to open it but that will invalidate my warranty. Expansys say it's quicker to contact Nokia directly (and they only contact them on my behalf anyway if I go through them). But they've sent me the RMA form details.

This sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    I actually dropped mine onto a tile floor while under the confluence at the weekend. :o

No damage thankfully.

And the phone is fine too.

tbh it was more the price of the fecker that had me heartbroken. The N900 has too many annoying little quirks for me to ever truly love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

funkyflea wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips all.. I basically spent all day yesterday trying to fix this thing.

I had it on charge for an hour or so and tried turning it on then, the second i press the power button the display lights up with a black screen - nothing is display.

I tried hooking it up to the TV-out and I get a big line in the middle of the screen and then I get black and white lines flashing on the tv.

I managed to create an Ubuntu LiveCD and boot into ubuntu that way, install Flasher 3.5 and flash the device which completed successfully but the n900 still won't power on correctly.

This leads me to believe that it is now a hardware issue - possibly the ribbon connecting the screen has come loose, i'm very tempted to open it but that will invalidate my warranty. Expansys say it's quicker to contact Nokia directly (and they only contact them on my behalf anyway if I go through them). But they've sent me the RMA form details.

This sucks.

If the tv out isnt working its unlikely to be the ribbon connecting the screen, more likely an inner hardware issue. Its easy to say "be patient and send it back to nokia", but then again it sucks having to send it back. Its the safest option though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 markarman

Does anyone know how to get your credit from meteor pay as you go on the N900?

You usually dial *#100#

but on the n900 you get a message that says "incorrect number"

I have mailed meteor but you know what theiry customer service is like lol

any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

markarman wrote: »

You usually dial *#100#

any suggestions?

USSD codes aren't supported properly yet. The should be in the next firmware version (hopefully in the next couple of weeks), but until then there is an application called USSD-widget to let you use the short codes

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

You usually dial *#100#

any suggestions?

If you want to be really ghetto about it you can ring 1742! As mentioned above though, there is an app for it. I use it and it's great. It stopped working for a couple of days for no real reaso...it's back now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Well, that answers one of the questions I put up today on Vodafone :) I was having to log into My Vodafone to check my credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

You usually dial *#100#

any suggestions?

install ussd-widget as someone said. it's in extras-development.
    set it to do *#100# every x minutes. you can also update manually by tapping thw widget. simples.;)

4515610388_f82de44f54_o.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

mwrf wrote: »
    install ussd-widget as someone said. it's in extras-development.
    set it to do *#100# every x minutes. you can also update manually by tapping thw widget. simples.;)

4515610388_f82de44f54_o.png

Here's a quick one for ya. How do you limit the amount of characters the widget displays. At the minute mine says "Your balance is E17.70. Get great deals with meteors latest deal etc etc" How did you configure it to only show that balance?
    Cheers

• Advertisement

Here's a quick one for ya. How do you limit the amount of characters the widget displays. At the minute mine says "Your balance is E17.70. Get great deals with meteors latest deal etc etc" How did you configure it to only show that balance?
    Cheers

Add this regex into the regular expression text box in the settings,
    it will remove anything after the numbers.
    [PHP](.+?[\d\.]+)[/PHP]

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭boc121

Any idea how to do this for 02, its blah blah blah, your balance is
    Cheers.

boc121 wrote: »
    Any idea how to do this for 02, its blah blah blah, your balance is
    Cheers.

Can you post the exact text?

Can you post the exact text?

As an 02 customer,you can get priority tickets to The 02 up to 48 hours before general sale.Freetext Music to 50202 to registerBalance is 44.16 EUR.

Thats it exactly.
    Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭not_xanthor

Need some advice:

Been on to VF about my lemon of an N97 and they told me i could have a N900 as a replacement.

I'm guessing it would be an overall improvement in speed/stability, but wondering what i'd *loose*

I'd heard something about only being able to make calls in portrait, has that been resolved since?

Very vague/noobish questions, but trying to avoid wading through 150 pages.

Thanks for any advice

Take it, anything is better than the n97 piece of :eek:

Need some advice:

Been on to VF about my lemon of an N97 and they told me i could have a N900 as a replacement.

I'm guessing it would be an overall improvement in speed/stability, but wondering what i'd *loose*

I'd heard something about only being able to make calls in portrait, has that been resolved since?

Very vague/noobish questions, but trying to avoid wading through 150 pages.

Thanks for any advice

Pretty much everything on the phone is landscape only, except the phone app which can be portrait or landscape.

Maps app is a little primitive compared to the N97 (I read somewhere, never owned an N97).

I've owned a few series 60 phones though, and IMO maemo is miles better.

Take it, anything is better than the n97 piece of :eek:

I'm inclined to agree. Would be a stopgap anyway. Due a 'Valued customer' upgrade, but holding out until something more interesting comes up.
    Stee wrote: »
    Pretty much everything on the phone is landscape only, except the phone app which can be portrait or landscape.

Maps app is a little primitive compared to the N97 (I read somewhere, never owned an N97).

Never used Maps so they wouldn't be missed. The Landscape thing... eh, i'll get used to it. Stopgap and all that.

Guess i'll bite so.

I'm inclined to agree. Would be a stopgap anyway. Due a 'Valued customer' upgrade, but holding out until something more interesting comes up..

Sorry should have said the n900 is without a doubt the best phone i've ever had and will only get better with updates.Stopgap it aint you'll be amazed how good it is. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Stee wrote: »

funny thing, i installed orrery (sp?) yday and it's display is portrait, when I exited the program it had turned the whole phones' display to portrait, i had to open orrery again before it would return to landscape :confused:

• Advertisement

The Landscape thing... eh, i'll get used to it. Stopgap and all that.

Guess i'll bite so.

This is the main thing that I was worried about before I bought it. It seemed huge in pictures online and I was unsure about using it in one hand. Got my hands on a demo model and all my worries were gone. Landscape works very well, to the point where if they did introduce OS-wide portrait mode in a firmware update, I wouldnt use it.
    Sorry should have said the n900 is without a doubt the best phone i've ever had and will only get better with updates.

Oddly enough, my N900 seems to have developed a self-fixing feature. When I first got it, I had to get a replacement the following day due to a messaging app problem. The replacement had a few creaks and the slider seemed looser on one side than the other, when closed there was a bigger gap on the left compared to the right. Within a week the creaks were gone and the slider was perfect. I had planned on tightening the screws myself, but there was no need. Bizarre, but excellent.

.Stopgap it aint you'll be amazed how good it is. :D

Even though it IS a TURD of a phone, i'm surprised VF are apprently so willing to replace it with so little fuss. As such, i won't actually believe i'm getting one until i have it in my hands.

In the longer term, i'm inclined to get away from Nokia full stop... HTC are looking pretty interesting these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Cableguy

Even though it IS a TURD of a phone

Mmm my toughts exactly its like a BRICK! but Ive never ever actually held one so Im being abit naive here! Nowhere actually have demos. Car phone Warehouse said Id have to order one before I could have a look at it.....huh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

he was saying the N97 was a turd

podge018 wrote: »
    he was saying the N97 was a turd

LOL k

still the N900 is abit like a brick.

the N95 I have is often compared to a brick and it would seem the N900 is bigger again and this is when its not even in a case of any sort!

Cableguy wrote: »
    LOL k

still the N900 is abit like a brick.

the N95 I have is often compared to a brick and it would seem the N900 is bigger again and this is when its not even in a case of any sort!

When you get one you'll understand. I mean i wouldn't want it to be much smaller as far as screen width goes. It's a fatty though, which i suppose is as a result of the slide out keyboard. It's abeast of a phone as far as it's specs go. I mean people are overclocking this thing to 1.0GHZ and above!

As an 02 customer,you can get priority tickets to The 02 up to 48 hours before general sale.Freetext Music to 50202 to registerBalance is 44.16 EUR.

Thats it exactly.
    Cheers.

This will match the 44.16 -> (\d+\.+\d*)

When you get one you'll understand. I mean i wouldn't want it to be much smaller as far as screen width goes. It's a fatty though, which i suppose is as a result of the slide out keyboard. It's abeast of a phone as far as it's specs go. I mean people are overclocking this thing to 1.0GHZ and above!

Its really my only concern but one Im sure Ill adjust to.

Ive been holding out on signing up a new contract and Im hoping three bring it out or it drops abit on price as it still very expensive considering other phones an prices as well as the contract your locked into.

This will match the 44.16 -> (\d+\.+\d*)

Now im getting,

Group not found:

• Advertisement

Now im getting,

Group not found:

Can you confirm you have entered exactly like the below?
    4517428723_e4e44d3756_o.png

It works fine in the tester I used :
    http://www.pythonregex.com/

Advertisement