Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Been playing around with Queen BeeCon and found a way to automatically get the weather on my desktop (see attached). The image is refreshed based on triggers you define (intervals, when network connected etc) and downloaded using wget. Can post the script once I've tested it a bit. I've had Queen BeeCon installed for over 6 months but found the concept confusing at first. Now that I've spent the time to figure it out I can say it is incredibly powerful!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Wow awesome!

I did have Queen BeeCon installed for a while, but i never really got into it! Now im interested!

OK, here are the steps to get the latest weather image on your desktop.

Install Queen BeCon application if you don't have it.
    Install sudo and wget if you don't have them (http://wiki.maemo.org/Root_access and then run 'sudo apt-get wget')

Go to desktop setup and Add Widget
    Select Queen Beecon, this adds a beecon to your desktop.
    In desktop setup mode, setup the beecon.

In Command Title Settings, set the image name to nat00_weather.png
    In Command Result Settings set the image name to nat00_weather.png

Set Update Policies to your liking for auto updates.

Hit the Add Cmd button and set the command to the following:
    sudo wget --no-cache http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/nat00_weather.png -O /home/opt/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/hildon/nat00_weather.png

What this does is downloads todays national weather forecast image and stores it as an application icon which is accessible to Queen Beecon.

Now run it by hitting the Save & Run button and also test it by just clicking on it to refresh it.

Let me know how you get on! This is incredibly flexible, I'm already thinking about having a couple of extra desktops for watersports info such as wind, tide and surf forecasts. Now I can see the motivation for adding up to 9 desktops as part of CSSU :D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

OneWayBet wrote: »
    OK, here are the steps to get the latest weather image on your desktop.

Install Queen BeCon application if you don't have it.
    Install sudo and wget if you don't have them (http://wiki.maemo.org/Root_access and then run 'sudo apt-get wget')

Go to desktop setup and Add Widget
    Select Queen Beecon, this adds a beecon to your desktop.
    In desktop setup mode, setup the beecon.

In Command Title Settings, set the image name to nat00_weather.png
    In Command Result Settings set the image name to nat00_weather.png

Set Update Policies to your liking for auto updates.

Hit the Add Cmd button and set the command to the following:
    sudo wget --no-cache http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/nat00_weather.png -O /home/opt/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/hildon/nat00_weather.png

What this does is downloads todays national weather forecast image and stores it as an application icon which is accessible to Queen Beecon.

Now run it by hitting the Save & Run button and also test it by just clicking on it to refresh it.

Let me know how you get on! This is incredibly flexible, I'm already thinking about having a couple of extra desktops for watersports info such as wind, tide and surf forecasts. Now I can see the motivation for adding up to 9 desktops as part of CSSU :D

Tried this but it did not work for me, I just get the blue queenbee icon on my desktop which does nothing when I press it. I assume the Command title is just free text and can be anything. I have it set to "Met Eireann". I set the command to;

Does the file get created if you run that command from the command line?
    I set both the title and result image fields to the name of the png image including the png extension.

btw the title does appear in the image, I named mine Met1, Met2 etc. I suggest something short which doesnt distort the image while also meaningful enough to find it later.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well gents, it's been over a year, but now im finally looking for a replacement. Well i already know i want a Galaxy S 2! I'll just have to wait for the price to come down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Well gents, it's been over a year, but now im finally looking for a replacement. Well i already know i want a Galaxy S 2! I'll just have to wait for the price to come down!

You don't want to do that...

... I managed to get a few hours 'hands on' with most of the just released and soon to be released smartphones recently. I'll be buying the HTC Sensation as soon as it's out.

You don't want to do that...

... I managed to get a few hours 'hands on' with most of the just released and soon to be released smartphones recently. I'll be buying the HTC Sensation as soon as it's out.

I know we're completely dragging this thread off-topic, but can i ask why you say the galaxy s 2 is a no go? It looks so purty!

My main requirement is speed and a big screen!

Does the file get created if you run that command from the command line?
    I set both the title and result image fields to the name of the png image including the png extension.

btw the title does appear in the image, I named mine Met1, Met2 etc. I suggest something short which doesnt distort the image while also meaningful enough to find it later.

I tried this (copied the command line text into x-terminal) and hit return and am just brought to the next line. When nI enter it again I get prompted for a password.

MICKEYG wrote: »
    I tried this (copied the command line text into x-terminal) and hit return and am just brought to the next line. When nI enter it again I get prompted for a password.

I think the password would be 'gainroot', I can run sudo without entering a password. I set this up so long ago I can't remember which package I installed for this.

Anyway, I took a look at the docs and you don't need to run it as root if you run something like this, setting the directory to a user image directory rather than a system directory:

wget --no-cache http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/nat00_weather.png -O/home/user/MyDocs/.images/queen_beecon_dir/nat00_weather.png

Remember to set both the text field in the 'Command Title Settings' to nat00_weather.png and same for the text field in 'Command Result Settings'.

• Advertisement

I know we're completely dragging this thread off-topic, but can i ask why you say the galaxy s 2 is a no go? It looks so purty!

My main requirement is speed and a big screen!

Have to admit the S2 looks very impressive, my impression was that it beats the Sensation but haven't personally seen/used either. Best price I could find for S2 is GBP499 on Amazon, bit more than I'm prepared to pay so I'm holding off for now. I'm also worried that I'd spend a lot on a new phone and end up missing Maemo's flexibility.

Have to admit the S2 looks very impressive, my impression was that it beats the Sensation but haven't personally seen/used either. Best price I could find for S2 is GBP499 on Amazon, bit more than I'm prepared to pay so I'm holding off for now. I'm also worried that I'd spend a lot on a new phone and end up missing Maemo's flexibility.

Yeah that's far too much for me to justify, and i'd miss my current 40GB capacity at the mo too! It'll probably be a few months at least before i take the plunge. My bro is getting one, and currently has a Galaxy S which he'll be getting rid of. I might see if i can take it for a week to see if i can live with android.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

The only two phones that would make me give up my N900 would be either the Sensation or the Galaxy2. The both have their relative strengths but for me the Sensation wins due to mainly HTC's Sense UI. Have a google for Sense 3.0. Coming from the N900, widgets and support from the developer community are important to me also.

I've just ordered a "scud" battery which apparently has a verified 16% higher capacity than the OEM battery, I'll report back once I've tested it.

See this for test results on various batteries. Cost is about 10 euro delivered.
    http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65568

BTW Just got around to collecting this from the post depot a few days ago. Battery life seems to be longer than my OEM battery. I haven't done a scientific test yet but using the 'ideal' Power Kernel I'm getting more than 24 hours, with SleepAnalyzer (with offline mode) running at night and almost always online with 3G during the day. Haven't tested how much more than 24 hrs I would get but I guess a few hours.

If you reckon your battery is showing signs of wear I definitely recommend the scud, delivered in about a week from HK for less than 10 euro.

BTW Just got around to collecting this from the post depot a few days ago. Battery life seems to be longer than my OEM battery. I haven't done a scientific test yet but using the 'ideal' Power Kernel I'm getting more than 24 hours, with SleepAnalyzer (with offline mode) running at night and almost always online with 3G during the day. Haven't tested how much more than 24 hrs I would get but I guess a few hours.

If you reckon your battery is showing signs of wear I definitely recommend the scud, delivered in about a week from HK for less than 10 euro.

Sweet. How long would you normally get out of yours with the original battery?

Tbh, i get 2 days light use, which is most days, some wifi web browsing in the mornings and through the day. Some email and stuff like that. And the network set to GSM almost always.

I think the password would be 'gainroot', I can run sudo without entering a password. I set this up so long ago I can't remember which package I installed for this.

Anyway, I took a look at the docs and you don't need to run it as root if you run something like this, setting the directory to a user image directory rather than a system directory:

wget --no-cache http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/nat00_weather.png -O/home/user/MyDocs/.images/queen_beecon_dir/nat00_weather.png

Remember to set both the text field in the 'Command Title Settings' to nat00_weather.png and same for the text field in 'Command Result Settings'.

Thanks for the help but neither worked for me. I can't enter the password (it wont accept anything from the keyboard) so I typed sudo gainroot first then the command and I get the message "user is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reporter".

Thanks for the help but neither worked for me. I can't enter the password (it wont accept anything from the keyboard) so I typed sudo gainroot first then the command and I get the message "user is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reporter".

I am no longer using the sudo method and instead writing the file to /home/user/MyDocs/.images/queen_beecon_dir

Try that and run it manually from the shell to confirm the image gets created. Once there you can look at QueenBeecon to set the image name (filename without directory prefix). I've attached one of my forecast screenshots, got a bit carried away!

I am no longer using the sudo method and instead writing the file to /home/user/MyDocs/.images/queen_beecon_dir

Try that and run it manually from the shell to confirm the image gets created. Once there you can look at QueenBeecon to set the image name (filename without directory prefix). I've attached one of my forecast screenshots, got a bit carried away!

Looks cool. Sorry, a little untechie here. What should I now have in the command line?

Looks cool. Sorry, a little untechie here. What should I now have in the command line?

Hi, sorry didn't think there was any N900 non-techies left at this stage :)

Try this:

1. Add Queen Beecon to desktop.
    2. Set type to Snippet (as opposed to Beecon).
    3. Set width to 160, height to 205.
    4. In the text field of Command Title Settings, set the value to nat00_weather.png
    5. In the text field of Command Result Settings, set the value to nat00_weather.png
    6. Hit Add Cmd, set whatever you like in Title, note this appears on the image. Set Command to:
    7. Hit Save, then Save & Run.

Once working you can use the same technique for any image on the Internet.
    You can also display text in the result instead of an image, e.g. football scores etc. Just takes a bit of scripting to prepare the result in a readable way.

Hi, sorry didn't think there was any N900 non-techies left at this stage :)

Try this:

1. Add Queen Beecon to desktop.
    2. Set type to Snippet (as opposed to Beecon).
    3. Set width to 160, height to 205.
    4. In the text field of Command Title Settings, set the value to nat00_weather.png
    5. In the text field of Command Result Settings, set the value to nat00_weather.png
    6. Hit Add Cmd, set whatever you like in Title, note this appears on the image. Set Command to:
    7. Hit Save, then Save & Run.

Once working you can use the same technique for any image on the Internet.
    You can also display text in the result instead of an image, e.g. football scores etc. Just takes a bit of scripting to prepare the result in a readable way.

Made some progress but now my desktop for this shows the following text only [!?7f00]. Any ideas? Sorry to keep hassling you on this.

• Advertisement

Made some progress but now my desktop for this shows the following text only [!?7f00]. Any ideas? Sorry to keep hassling you on this.

Let's split this into two steps, if you run the command from the terminal what happens?

Is the file created and visible when you type:

ls -l /home/user/MyDocs/.images/queen_beecon_dir/nat00_weather.png

If the file exists then the image is getting created and we can take it from there. If not then what is the output of wget,, is there an error?

Let's split this into two steps, if you run the command from the terminal what happens?

Is the file created and visible when you type:

ls -l /home/user/MyDocs/.images/queen_beecon_dir/nat00_weather.png

If the file exists then the image is getting created and we can take it from there. If not then what is the output of wget,, is there an error?

Firstly, I really appreciate your help on this.
    When I run the command through x-terminal I get the message "/bin/sh: wget: not found"
    I checked (using filebox) in the directory and the png file is not there.

Firstly, I really appreciate your help on this.
    When I run the command through x-terminal I get the message "/bin/sh: wget: not found"
    I checked (using filebox) in the directory and the png file is not there.

Hi, you need to get root access, see http://wiki.maemo.org/Root_access

Then open a root shell and type 'apt-get wget'
    This will install the wget utility.

Hi, you need to get root access, see http://wiki.maemo.org/Root_access

Then open a root shell and type 'apt-get wget'
    This will install the wget utility.

Installed it and now the icon is appearing in the folder (using Filebox).
    The problem I have now is it is not being brought up to my desktop.

Installed it and now the icon is appearing in the folder (using Filebox).
    The problem I have now is it is not being brought up to my desktop.

Nearly there! In the beecon config, have you entered the image name into the text fields in sections "Command Title Settings" AND "Command Result Settings"?
    The image name you enter should be something like "nat00_weather.png", i.e. should match the filename you have stored in the wget command, but without the directory prefix.

Nearly there! In the beecon config, have you entered the image name into the text fields in sections "Command Title Settings" AND "Command Result Settings"?
    The image name you enter should be something like "nat00_weather.png", i.e. should match the filename you have stored in the wget command, but without the directory prefix.

Yes to all of teh above.
    I started looking at the other settings in Queen Bee settings and saw that in Command Title Settings the Position was set at 'hidden'. Once I changed this I was good. Thanks again for all your help.

As an aside, I came across a great picture which I cannot seem to link to in met.ie. I have attached it. It contains wind, temperature and cloud cover all in one page (see page 2 of this link). Would be great to use that.
    Also, on met.e I can use (with other queen bee icons) nat01_weather.png and nat02_weather.png. Do you have a list of any other ones?

Yes to all of teh above.
    I started looking at the other settings in Queen Bee settings and saw that in Command Title Settings the Position was set at 'hidden'. Once I changed this I was good. Thanks again for all your help.

As an aside, I came across a great picture which I cannot seem to link to in met.ie. I have attached it. It contains wind, temperature and cloud cover all in one page (see page 2 of this link). Would be great to use that.
    Also, on met.e I can use (with other queen bee icons) nat01_weather.png and nat02_weather.png. Do you have a list of any other ones?

Found it. It is "nat-today.gif" and "nat-tomorrow.gif" in same location as png files above. Works perfectly. Delighted with this.

Found it. It is "nat-today.gif" and "nat-tomorrow.gif" in same location as png files above. Works perfectly. Delighted with this.

Sweet, thanks for that - I'll be updating my snippets later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok really getting peed off with my phone switching off when its in my pocket. Have a phone locked after 5 minutes and it keeps going to the switch off mode below

Screenshot-.png

I have tried changing this by using Tweakr but no joy. Is there anyway of stopping this occuring ?

• Advertisement

Hi Irish Gunner,
    the screen you captured looks like the Device Lock screen. it seems that your Settings / Device Lock is configured to autolock after 5 mins. When this screen is displayed if you tap an area in the background you are prompted to switch off. If you set autolock to disable would this solve your problem? Note that auto lock is a security measure rather than a screen lock. I have mine disabled and manually lock the screen using the slider before putting in my pocket.

Cheers,
    OWB.

Ok really getting peed off with my phone switching off when its in my pocket. Have a phone locked after 5 minutes and it keeps going to the switch off mode below

Screenshot-.png

I have tried changing this by using Tweakr but no joy. Is there anyway of stopping this occuring ?

Advertisement