Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've just been playing around with the latest release of firefox, and i have to say it's getting pretty damn good. I was never a huge fan of the UI but it works and it's far far quicker than it once was. It's definitely worth a shot.

Check out maemo.org to find out how to install the latest release because simply visiting firefox.com/mobile will only install the crappy old version!

I'm typing this up in firefox on the N900 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

I've just been playing around with the latest release of firefox, and i have to say it's getting pretty damn good. I was never a huge fan of the UI but it works and it's far far quicker than it once was. It's definitely worth a shot.

Check out maemo.org to find out how to install the latest release because simply visiting firefox.com/mobile will only install the crappy old version!

Really? I found it to be sluggish. Opera Mobile 11 on the other hand is VERY fast!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Really? I found it to be sluggish. Opera Mobile 11 on the other hand is VERY fast!

I tried downloading opera mobile 11 the other night but couldn't find it! I'd be very interested to see what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is it better than microb? Because I think microb is fairly nifty

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Has anyone sent their n900 off for a faulty usb port with o2? I just went into my local o2 store and I was told if it's considered physical damage there'll be a €60 charge to get it fixed or they can send it back un-repaired. Obviously, neither of those outcomes is preferable so has anyone had any success getting these fixed by o2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Has anyone sent their n900 off for a faulty usb port with o2? I just went into my local o2 store and I was told if it's considered physical damage there'll be a €60 charge to get it fixed or they can send it back un-repaired. Obviously, neither of those outcomes is preferable so has anyone had any success getting these fixed by o2?

That person clearly does not know what they are talking about and could not asertain that without being technician. You could bring into fonemenders and they will warranty repair it (as i did with mine), but I personally would school the o2 employee and ask for the manager (im a former o2 employee and its an attitude they have to try and fob off every problem:mad:).

As I said there is no way they can say its phyical damage without opening it up. They say phyical damage, you say inherent design flaw.

I once saw a guy get his 3 month old 3250 with a cracked smashed lcd swopped out for a new, said it just happened in his pocket and argued not fit for purpose, legend:P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

funkyjebus wrote: »
    That person clearly does not know what they are talking about and could not asertain that without being technician. You could bring into fonemenders and they will warranty repair it (as i did with mine), but I personally would school the o2 employee and ask for the manager (im a former o2 employee and its an attitude they have to try and fob off every problem:mad:).

As I said there is no way they can say its phyical damage without opening it up. They say phyical damage, you say inherent design flaw.

I once saw a guy get his 3 month old 3250 with a cracked smashed lcd swopped out for a new, said it just happened in his pocket and argued not fit for purpose, legend:P

My port has actually become fully detached, it's not just loose. If I was in her shoes and I didn't know about the faulty usb connection thing I'd assume it was user damage. In fairness, the girl was very helpful and I'm glad she told me about the charge so that if I get the call it won't be completely out of the blue. It's sent off anyways so we'll just have to play the waiting game.

On a related topic, can anyone find a statement from nokia where they say that there is an inherent fault with the usb ports. I can find plenty of blog posts and forum posts that say they have confirmed it but nothing from an actual nokia representative.

My port has actually become fully detached, it's not just loose. If I was in her shoes and I didn't know about the faulty usb connection thing I'd assume it was user damage. In fairness, the girl was very helpful and I'm glad she told me about the charge so that if I get the call it won't be completely out of the blue. It's sent off anyways so we'll just have to play the waiting game.

On a related topic, can anyone find a statement from nokia where they say that there is an inherent fault with the usb ports. I can find plenty of blog posts and forum posts that say they have confirmed it but nothing from an actual nokia representative.

Same with my usb, fully detached and rattling around in the port! If you were in her shoes, selling mobiles all day, you'd probably know about the fault, as I would have back in the day. If she was helpful fair enough, but I'm not sure I class assumptive wrongful advise as helpful, but hey thats neither here nor there.

Also, its irrelevant if nokia have issued a statement (lets face they never will, no one ever does, not even xbox FFS:p), the onus is on them to prove the phyical damage by you. Nokia are aware of the problem (even if they won't admit it) and will no doubt repair it free of charge.

Never forget that warranties are all in addition to your statutory rights, which state that goods must be fit for purpose (and doesnot put a time limit on it, only reason), and I'm assuming that the detatched usb is only as a result of charging, if fair to say you are in within you right to request a repair free of charge. I'd go to the NCA before i'd pay for such a repair.

Fingers crossed they just fix it for free and all is rosey. I haven't had an issue with mine since I got it repaired (actually it was replaced by nokia) about 4 months ago.

Bambi wrote: »

Check it out, I find it better than Microb for most pages, bit of a niggle with this post where it has zoomed in too far and seems to be trying to doing something "clever". Other than posting to boards I have found it incredibly fast and it seems to change web page layout when needed to suit the zoom level. Definitely worth a look mynokian900.com/2011/03/opera-11-is-simply-the-best-internet-experience

Just google 'Nokia official statement usb n900' to find info on Nokias policy.

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »

No it's not better than microb imo. But it is making good progress, and it's far better and faster than it was.

I just installed Opera 11 there, it turns out i hadn't setup my repositories correctly! Opera 11 is lightning fast! Very impressive indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

My FM transmitter appears to have disappeared. Where is it in apps?

podge018 wrote: »
    My FM transmitter appears to have disappeared. Where is it in apps?

Its not in apps I think, you should get the option to activate in the media player when you're playing music, that or add it as a widget to the desktop I think

I mean it's not on my phone at all. Where in apps manager do I download it? Where can I get now it's not on my phone. Thanks.

podge018 wrote: »
    I mean it's not on my phone at all. Where in apps manager do I download it? Where can I get now it's not on my phone. Thanks.

Can you not turn on the fm transmitter in the stock music player?

I never had to download anything to get it working.

You could if it was on your phone. It's not on mine anymore.

Googling tells me it was removed with an update, not sure which.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm on the latest version and the media player / FM Transmitter are available. Maybe a reflash is in order.

I think there is an app that lets you boost the signal strength of the FM Transmitter but doesn't turn it on or off.

maybe Nokia lost it on me when I sent it back to them ages ago, I just haven't looked for it since.

Anyway, found it in apps download, called FM TX Faker, it gives access to the transmitter on devices where it's somehow hidden.

So it came back yesterday un-repaired as it was considered physical damage by the user. Didn't have much time yesterday so I have to go back into them on Thursday to bitch about it. *sigh*

So it came back yesterday un-repaired as it was considered physical damage by the user. Didn't have much time yesterday so I have to go back into them on Thursday to bitch about it. *sigh*

That sucks. Did you find the press release from nokia saying it was a design flaw? If you have that i'd probably take it to the small claims court if it goes on for much longer.

On an unrelated note, my N900 turned itself off for no reason this afternoon...booo

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear people are having hardware problems! On a more positive note I've just ordered a "scud" battery which apparently has a verified 16% higher capacity than the OEM battery, I'll report back once I've tested it.

See this for test results on various batteries. Cost is about 10 euro delivered.
    http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=65568

That sucks. Did you find the press release from nokia saying it was a design flaw? If you have that i'd probably take it to the small claims court if it goes on for much longer.

On an unrelated note, my N900 turned itself off for no reason this afternoon...booo

No, I didn't. I'll take a look again tonight for the press release and head in with them tomorrow. If I get no luck tomorrow I might just go to the small claims court.

No, I didn't. I'll take a look again tonight for the press release and head in with them tomorrow. If I get no luck tomorrow I might just go to the small claims court.

You really should get onto the national consumer agency first. A judge will most likly be pissed that you skipped the process. I would mention this to o2. In additon, if the manager say no, that means nothing in o2 as its the area manager who actually has the clout. I'd ask to speak to them over the phone or get a call back.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Recently my N900 keeps on dropping my phone network provider settings. I have to go back into phone settings and choose search and then select my provider and then save. However I leave it down or put it in my pocket at times and the network has gone. There is nothing wrong with the sim as I tried it in another phone and the network did not drop once. Getting quite annoying anyone have this issue ?

Is it a bug as seems to have been reported over on Maemo forums? Also how long does Nokia warranty last 1 year or 2 ?

On a similar note I've noticed mine has been switching off after call's or sending texts. I've been trying to catch it in the act for a week or so and finally today when someone rang I lifted the phone up and put it back down because I wanted to get a pen before i answered. As soon as I put it down on the counter it turned off. The boot log says it was the power switch but there's no way I touched it. Very annoying. :mad:

Recently my N900 keeps on dropping my phone network provider settings. I have to go back into phone settings and choose search and then select my provider and then save. However I leave it down or put it in my pocket at times and the network has gone. There is nothing wrong with the sim as I tried it in another phone and the network did not drop once. Getting quite annoying anyone have this issue ?

Is it a bug as seems to have been reported over on Maemo forums? Also how long does Nokia warranty last 1 year or 2 ?

Warranty is 2 years
    http://europe.nokia.com/support/faq/warranty-faq

Upgraded to Opera Mobile 11 beta over SSU. I think this browser is better than MicroB. What makes it so good is that it enhances the page layout so you can read the text, and when you zoom in it optimises the page layout again. The result is that you spend more time reading and less time panning. Also it is seriously fast, well faster than any other browser on the N900.

Latest version of Community SSU replaces the default camera with a new opensource one. It appears to take better pictures and has more features such as showing you what it is focusing on, Timer, soft shutter release button, single select access to many features.

Full changelog here http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/Changelog

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Latest version of Community SSU replaces the default camera with a new opensource one. It appears to take better pictures and has more features such as showing you what it is focusing on, Timer, soft shutter release button, single select access to many features.

Full changelog here http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/Changelog

I still haven't actually installed the community firmware...maybe i should...

• Advertisement

Yeah go for it, I had no problems and I've been using it from day one. It makes me feel like I'm not using a dead platform :)

Advertisement