Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia N900

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

No need to dual boot into Android anymore as the n900 can now run Android apps through Alien Dalvik!
    Havent tried it yet but looks good

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/myriad-alien-dalvik-runs-android-apps-on-any-phone-starting/

That does look freaking sweet. I have a feeling we will never see it on Maemo though. It was just a test platform, by the looks of it. I hope i'm wrong!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

My n900 seems to have a problem with the USB connection. :( I only realise this after the battery is dead so I wasn't able to do a backup. Does any one know of a way to get some juice into my battery long enough for me to do a back up and save it to a memory card? Preferably as cheap as possible.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

My n900 seems to have a problem with the USB connection. :( I only realise this after the battery is dead so I wasn't able to do a backup. Does any one know of a way to get some juice into my battery long enough for me to do a back up and save it to a memory card? Preferably as cheap as possible.

Do you have any friends with a nokia with the same battery? If you know anyone with a 5800 it uses the same battery so you could use it to charge it back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

If you don't know anyone with a comparable phone you could try going to a Nokia repair centre. I'm sure they'd be willing to throw a bit of power onto the battery

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Do you have any friends with a nokia with the same battery? If you know anyone with a 5800 it uses the same battery so you could use it to charge it back up.

Only know people with older nokias which I imagine aren't compatible.
    matrim wrote: »
    If you don't know anyone with a comparable phone you could try going to a Nokia repair centre. I'm sure they'd be willing to throw a bit of power onto the battery

How do I find out where these are? Doubt there is one in Sligo mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭OneWayBet

Desktop charger is the other option, pretty cheap but might take a while if ordering from hong kong on ebay

OneWayBet wrote: »
    Desktop charger is the other option, pretty cheap but might take a while if ordering from hong kong on ebay

Ended up buying one on ebay. The seller is in the UK and says his stock is as well. Hopefully it is and he's not just shipping it in from hong kong or something.

Stupid k800i isn't working either so I have no backup phone. *sigh*

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Stupid k800i isn't working either so I have no backup phone. *sigh*

I've a spare battery sitting here, i could post it up to ya tomorrow.

just send it back when your one arrives :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

How do I find out where these are? Doubt there is one in Sligo mind.

Don't know about Sligo. No harm in trying a PC repair shop to see if they do it or even going to a carphone warehouse or O2\Vodafone shop and asking them to do it or if they know a repair place

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    I've a spare battery sitting here, i could post it up to ya tomorrow.

just send it back when your one arrives :p

For the n900? If you could that would be great. Got an email from the guys I bought off and they said it would be dispatched the day after tomorrow (which should mean monday) and it will take up to 10 days for delivery after that which is crap.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20031468-264.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Crave

And backlash from open source fan boi's in three..two...one

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20031468-264.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Crave

And backlash from open source fan boi's in three..two...one

The stupid thing is that they are saying 2011 and 2012 are transition years. So any of their high end handsets are basically obsolete now (I imagine the low end will not be using WP7). They already had problems with developer support, try getting them on board now. I can't understand why it'll take 2 years. Lg, Samsung and HTC managed to get WP7 devices out for launch day and they didn't have two years working on them.

This could be bad for nokia.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

/facepalm

This seems to be the only light at the end of the tunnel - we might get one last meego-based device out of them and then that's it, you get to choose between trusting Jobs, Ballmer or Schmidt with some of (if not all) your most valuable personal data.

Good thing they're decent, upstanding examples of putting morality ahead of tawdry profit-based concerns, right?

The stupid thing is that they are saying 2011 and 2012 are transition years. So any of their high end handsets are basically obsolete now (I imagine the low end will not be using WP7). They already had problems with developer support, try getting them on board now. I can't understand why it'll take 2 years. Lg, Samsung and HTC managed to get WP7 devices out for launch day and they didn't have two years working on them.

This could be bad for nokia.

"MeeGo will place increased emphasis on longer-term market exploration of next-generation devices,"

In other words "we're done with this, see what you can make of it"

n900 running windows phone 7...one can but dream lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Wow that is bad news....So no more symbian 3 or Meego? Surely smartphones will eventually become like PC's in that you can install any OS you like.

This announcement is very disappointing and I think will drive most Maemo users to Android, even if the new Meego device is impressive it would be hard to justify buying it when the OS is a low priority for Nokia.

This announcement is very disappointing and I think will drive most Maemo users to Android, even if the new Meego device is impressive it would be hard to justify buying it when the OS is a low priority for Nokia.

Yup it's a joke really. There is no way i'd buy into a dead platform.

I havent been following this very closely but I thought there was other stakeholders in the meego platform? Plans to use it on tablets etc.. Wonder where that's going now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

There's a tablet being released with it. If it wasn't already in Germany. Think its called weepad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I havent been following this very closely but I thought there was other stakeholders in the meego platform? Plans to use it on tablets etc.. Wonder where that's going now.

Intel is a partner. They will probably keep development going for things such as in-car entertainmaint and the like.

It may well have a future for cars and even for netbooks/tablets but I'd sooner hang onto my N900 rather than upgrade to the long awaited N9 if it ever comes and then jump platform once something catches my eye. The lack of apps was just about bearable due to the excellent OS but with the OS taking a back seat it's hard to get excited about the next model.

It may well have a future for cars and even for netbooks/tablets but I'd sooner hang onto my N900 rather than upgrade to the long awaited N9 if it ever comes and then jump platform once something catches my eye. The lack of apps was just about bearable due to the excellent OS but with the OS taking a back seat it's hard to get excited about the next model.

As a self confessed gadget freak, I was eagerly looking forward to Meego and what the future held for it. Plus, I am developing a course on programming mobile devices for the college I am working in and Meego was to be a good part of it.

However, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole now that it is going to be dropped - what is the point?

I suppose it makes commercial sense, but it is a sad day for Nokia and Meego.

Is it wrong that I'm getting a great kick out of the gnashing and wailing going on over at the maemo.org forums?

I think nokia realised that the meego ecosystem was going to be infested with app dev's who suffered from the immature and conceited approach of the eurolinux fanboi and then took a long hard look at the market and made their choice. They need smart phones not smug phones :D

Is it wrong that I'm getting a great kick out of the gnashing and wailing going on over at the maemo.org forums?

It's mad isn't it?

I remember being on a symbian forum when i had my nokia 5800 and people would literally whinge and moan non stop about nokia not providing updates etc etc. Threads would go on for months with fan boys posting against idiots. It starts out being funny, but it just gets pathetic.

I never took to maemo.org.

If it isn't fanatical fanbois, It's clueless posters for whom English isn't their first language. Not that that in itself is a problem, it's more when the two meet.

planet.maemo.org is pretty useful for daily news but yeah the rest is pretty crap. A lot of fanatics are venting their anger at the moment, in fairness this is because these open source developers have invested a lot of their free time in various projects and in the Maemo project in general. I think it is understandable that they are angry now that the entire project seems to have hit a brick wall.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

What are they so worried about? We'll all be installing a fully working version of android soon enough ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Anybody know if NeoPwn is still coming, or if its been dropped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

LoGiE wrote: »
    What are they so worried about? We'll all be installing a fully working version of android soon enough ;)

Will we? Things seem to have gone a bit quiet on that front lately after promises of voice features.

Android is definitely looming large for me now but I think it will be on another device - Galaxy S - slurp!

Advertisement