Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music: The build up and the aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

last exam woohooo

thought the listening part was definitely easier than the mocks. I only got 30 something % in the mocks though, I'd say I bumped that up a bit anyway. I think I didn't do so well in the composing. well my bassline thing and chords was a bit crap for sure. my melody wasn't so bad, I think I modulated properly. I started doing the dance one by mistake at the start. also was nearly late for my exam thought it was on at 2 :eek: good thing I was in 'early'. the beatles being the long question was great, only thing I hadn't a clue of was the mozart. and the unheard question thingie was a bit hard. I got the dance wrong for the irish music :( I said it was a reel. for the 3rd irish music question what were the instruments, I said flute, pipes and then I didn't think the other thing was a guitar I think I wrote bazouki :confused: and for the irish essay thing I was going to write about horslips cos I was a bit ****ed there and then I noticed it said talk about specific pieces and I was like crap dunno any of their stuff so I wrote about larrikin love :o hope that's ok! and plus it said composer, so I was just like ed larrikin the composer

ah it wasn't too bad, don't really care though. I'm glad now I went in to do it cos it was easier than I thought it would be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Woot finished. Didn't study Mozart 3rd movement at all so had a bit of trouble on that but went okay overall. :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

Listening would have been my weakest section but it went well, but I did answer some questions wrong:rolleyes:

Melody was grand. Harmony was a bit weird...I couldn't work out the cadences and my bass line is a bit weird.....

I was really hoping for an A1 but I think I got somewhere between a B2 and an A2....hopefully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I wrote my essay on the band Nightwish and how tracks off of their last album use traditional Irish music fused with symphonic/heavy metal. I couldn't think of anything else since I was only really expecting fusions to come up.

Am I safe? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Really happy with the listening paper, hopefully it bumped up my grade after the disaster that was my practical!:p
    Did anyone else think that the aural skills was hard?

I did :o

• Advertisement

aine-maire wrote: »
    Really happy with the listening paper, hopefully it bumped up my grade after the disaster that was my practical!:p

I didn't think it was too bad - I found the pre harder!
    what Q's did you find difficult?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dante

I wrote the most epic essay on Irish songs imaginable (Taimse im' choladh, Preab san Ol, Amhran Na Cuiginne, Mo Ghille Mear, Roisin Dubh, The Wexford Carol... I could go on. ****ing epic:D)

Sure does sound epic alright.........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

aine-maire wrote: »

I had no clue what to write for differences between the excerpts or the voices. The rest of it wasn't that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

No idea how it went... None... None at all :) yey...

What the hell was up with that Seachanges question, how does Deane Protray the danse macarbera?!

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    No idea how it went... None... None at all :) yey...

What the hell was up with that Seachanges question, how does Deane Protray the danse macarbera?!

the way all the musicians play the totentanz rhythm...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

:D I don'y care. I'M FREE!! :D
    hahaha, don't have to think anymore music until I'm rocking it out at Metallica hahaha.
    And never again . . . until College . . . damn! Why music?! haha

I'll go one better. I got Guitar Hero Metallica today!!!!!!! Hell yeah double pedal all the way!!!!! Thank god its all over!!

How does Deane portray the spirit of the Danse Macabre in this excerpt?

that question!

How does Deane portray the spirit of the Danse Macabre in this excerpt?

that question!

see my answer above.....

Oh jesus what was I thinking...

I wrote my essay on the band Nightwish and how tracks off of their last album use traditional Irish music fused with symphonic/heavy metal. I couldn't think of anything else since I was only really expecting fusions to come up.

Am I safe? :pac:

yeah well I did a band too, I know it said composer, so I just said the name of the guy from the band as composer and then wrote about the band, is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Listening paper was tough in places (Berlioz and Vivaldi especially) and easy in others (Deane, Mozart, IRISH MUSIC!!!!)... I wrote the most epic essay on Irish songs imaginable (Taimse im' choladh, Preab san Ol, Amhran Na Cuiginne, Mo Ghille Mear, Roisin Dubh, The Wexford Carol... I could go on. ****ing epic:D)

I too wrote a masterpiece of an essay :P hahaha, was well proud of it!! I did the preserving Irish music one! :D Am soo happy to be freeeeee!!

I woke up last night in a blind panic.. I've never got great results in music, either by not studying or mainly cracking under pressure... Im genuinely terrified.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

yeah well I did a band too, I know it said composer, so I just said the name of the guy from the band as composer and then wrote about the band, is that what you mean?

Yeah, I wrote about Tuomas Holopainen who's the creative force behind the band. Mentioned two specific tracks on their last album and went into detail about how they were arranged and had a clear Irish influence with the uileann pipes and fiddle in one track and the uileann pipes and bodhran in the other.

Yeah, I wrote about Tuomas Holopainen who's the creative force behind the band. Mentioned two specific tracks on their last album and went into detail about how they were arranged and had a clear Irish influence with the uileann pipes and fiddle in one track and the uileann pipes and bodhran in the other.

yeah same here, I'd say it'd be grand!

ah I don't even care anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I woke up last night in a blind panic.. I've never got great results in music, either by not studying or mainly cracking under pressure... Im genuinely terrified.. :(

Don't be! Relax! :) You're free now! I'm sure you did much better than you think you did, that is always how it goes when you think you do badly. Just chill out for the rest of the summer.

• Advertisement

don't worry!!!
    Music is one of those subjects that most people do better than they think!
    My cousin was terrible at music through out 5th and 6th year and managed a B2!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I think I did a really bad composing paper. In a fit of madness I used a lot of VI7 chords...is that even a valid chord?!

And my modulation was very subtle...in that I modulated but didn't use any sevenths so there were no really obvious accidentals.

And I stole two bars from Rondo Alla Turca which may be quite obvious >.<

I feel I just did something fecking stupid, like didn't finish a complete bar, I had to remember that I did the anacrusis right, as I physically couldn't sleep, jesus, I need to calm down, If I get an F in everything else and an A1 in this i'd be happy, the only test, I for the sake of me, want to do well in, b3/b2/b1/a2 area... I have no idea tho.. really.

If I get an F in everything else and an A1 in this i'd be happy, the only test, I for the sake of me, want to do well in, b3/b2/b1/a2 area... I have no idea tho.. really.

Ah I know what you mean, am aiming for my A in music, got the hisghest in the mocks, but it wasn't an A, was soo upset even though I got my points for my course.

I failed it for the Mocks.. I knew how to do it... I just.. blanked and just... I have no idea, wrote down a melody and harmony but really and truely I wasn't home... got the test back and i was like... what the hell did I write down?! I got 39% It killed me... absolutely and possitively broke me. I just hope the same thing didn't happen etc, I did SO SO SO many melody and Harmony questions by myself... I'll be so so unhappy if I get less then a B3.. even at a b3 be a bit raging. God what an awful exam to wait for :(

I got a B3 in my mocks but I really really want an A!!

Same Saffy, but our teacher didn't add on the practical, so reckon I'd be up a bit that anyway.

hard exam to wait for tbh...

I think it's the same as waiting for the rest :P. I'm actually pretty calm compared to when I have to wait for a instrument grade result. Was more nervous about my grade 8 which I did the week before English 1, then I was about the L.C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Looking back over my melody, I realise that my last phrase was two bars of rondo alla turca, one bar of god knows what, and the last bar was "and a happy new year" from We Wish You A Merry Christmas....

Advertisement