Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music: The build up and the aftermath

Options
  • 06-06-2009 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭

I love music, I had an OK practical but unfortunately havn't even looked at a music book in the past 3 months. Should be an OK exam, expect of course the composing within which I did dire in the mocks. Has anyone got any thoughts on study methods, predictions (particularly for the essays) or anything else affiliated with this subject?
    haha you looked

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Hmmm well I reckon Deane'll come up as the long question in the listening... no thoughts as to what section though.

As for Irish music, something post 1950's usually turns up. Fusions, Impact on American folk music, that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

and also does anyone know what mozart and berlioz movements are overdue to come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Word on the street says
    Main question likely to be:
    Mozart Mvmt 1 or 3
    Or
    Deane. Doubting that'll start from the Introduction tbh.

Ok, need help with one thing, that could benefit us all.

The Do's and Don'ts of Harmony questions and Melody questions

Melody:
    Major key Do's:
    - Mark Instrument, I advise Violin
    - Start bar five on the same notes of bar one
    - Avoid copying entire bars of rhythms (except in bar 5)
    - Add phraze markings at the end of bars
    - If anacrusis, adjust phrazing.
    - Key change on bar 8
    - If anacrusis, on the end of bar four (really bar 5) start the phraze with the same beats of the notes before the first bar
    - 9-10 bars are a sequence.
    - Make sure intervals between the end of bar 9 and start of bar 10 arn't too great as can be the case with sequences
    - Make sure you have appropriate amounts of beats per bar
    - no Syncopation (don't use notes on the half beats) i.e Crotchet Quaver
    - Keep the development under the idea of A A1 B A2
    - Keep an eye out for accidentals, not all are key changes.
    - Each phraze should end on a long note
    - Last phraze will ALWAYS!! be a perfect cadence. Plagal if it pleases you, but I was told to play it safe.
    - Increase range
    - Place Dynamic Markings keep them Medium, like f mf p and have cresendos and decresendos, write them in lower case.

Anything I missed please make it your business to remind me or correct me.

Melody
    Minor Keys
    - Ok, first I advise preliminary work. So firstly i.d the key, lets do a little bit an example.

Key of C Major, but You see a G#. It has modulated.
    Now in the key of A Minor. to I.d a key change simply take the key the stave states your in, and count back three semi tones, so C B A# A.

Ok, your in A minor, what I do now is, find the 6th and 7th.
    count up ABCDEFG# (i'd write that out tbh).

the 6th is F and the 7th is G#
    When the melody goes from 6th to 7th, the 6th and 7th are sharpened, but due to the fact the 7th is already sharpened, its left.

as I'd write it on the sheet just on the top to save confusion,

Up: F# to G#

when they travel downwards i.e 7th to 6th. They are both flattened

so then i'd write

Down: G(Natural) F(Natural)

- Ok, the same things apply from above, Phraze markings, at the end of every phraze
    - Every phraze ends on a long note
    - Last Bar ends on the tonic in a perfect or Plagal cadence.
    - There is no modulation needed in the 8th bar
    - sequence in the 9th and 10th
    - A A1 B A2
    - Develop the idea
    all the stuff thats above minus the Key change at the 8th bar.

Harmony.
    Could someone do out the Do's and don't of Major keys and Minor Keys harmony? I would be very very thankful.

thank you very much:D

Oh, and keep an eye out for 2/4 rhythms, not come up yet.

• Advertisement

you really know your stuff! Are you a teacher or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sofa kingcool

can anyone please give me a sample answer on the fusion essay?

ive lost mine!!!:(

so unorganised..

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Harmony.
    Could someone do out the Do's and don't of Major keys and Minor Keys harmony? I would be very very thankful.

Sure thing. Assuming you're doing Q5:

DON'T (major and minor): Use rising thirds or falling seconds in your chord progressions (ie no going from V-IV or ii-I, or ii-IV or vi-I).
    DON'T: use the same chord two boxes in a row!
    DON'T: forget to indicate chord postitions (root, 1st inversion or 2nd inversion)
    DON'T: forget to sharpen the leading note in the base for minor keys
    DON'T: Get too ambitious with your bass line! Getting too complicated will only make you confused and take away from the melody. You're not Bach - the examiner isn't looking for amazing counterpoint!

DO: mark out all possibilities above each box before making your choices
    DO: copy the general idea of the bass line. It's supposed to fit in with the style, and the easiest way to do this is follow the pattern set out in the 1st 4 bars or so (as you would with the melody question)
    DO: mark out the cadence points (usually 4) before filling in the rest of the boxes. Remember finished (perfect or plagal) is usually the best for the middle and last ones, and unfinished (imperfect or interrupted) are better for the 1st and 3rd ones.
    DO: use nice chord progressions like I-vi-IV-(ii is optional)-V-I
    DO: take your time. Seriously - we've so much time to do this question it's hilarious! Prepare your rough work diligently, and keep checking that your chords fit the melody.

If you take care with this question it's not difficult to get about 55/60. Pretty handy eh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

The essay part is worth next to nothing so dont worry about that. A little bit of preperation and you should be fine.

thats my gameplan anyway.

oh crap....I've just looked at fluoroescents post and I've just realised that I know nothing about composing...HELP!!??

• Advertisement

Word on the street says
    - Key change on bar 8
    - 9-10 bars are a sequence.
    - Make sure intervals between the end of bar 9 and start of bar 10 arn't too great as can be the case with sequences

I just have 2 points to add to your melody advice if that's ok!

For key changes I always stick my accidental in bar 7, and just have the note of the new key in bar 8 (so-fe-so in tonic key/do-ti-do in dom key works perfectly)

When you're doing your sequences in bars 9-10, start bar nine on fah and repeat it in bar 10 1 note higher (soh). Starting bar 11 then with lah and doing something different usually works pretty well :D

Sorry if that seemed nit-picky! :o

EDIT: Mikeglee I'm sure you know most of what I said, just phrased differently :P Relax, we've LOADS of time before music comes round :D

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH..........AH no ....only messing....thanks for your tips and keep sharing the calmness. And can anyone tell me a good example of how to use composition in composing and how to notive syncopation in the listening?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^I just wanna bring this to the surface again as I really need help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

euh! I haven't even looked at music yet!!
    I'm fine with the composing paper but I got a D on the listening paper in my pre:(

I think did a good enough practical (hoping for an A).

After tomorrow I'll be studying music and ag science 24/7!!(well, not really)

I don't understand what you mean by "can anyone tell me a good example of how to use composition in composing"??

How to notice syncopation in the listening... well if you are tapping along, but the beat seems to be emphasized more on the weaker beats than the stronger beats, it's synco. Eg: If you stress the 2nd and 4th syllables in syncopation: syn-co-pa-tion you might understand it better.

Sorry it's hard to explain that in writing! Does that make any sense lol?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dante

havn't even looked at a music book in the past 3 months

Theres a music book!? oh **** :o:o

I don't understand what you mean by "can anyone tell me a good example of how to use composition in composing"??

How to notice syncopation in the listening... well if you are tapping along, but the beat seems to be emphasized more on the weaker beats than the stronger beats, it's synco. Eg: If you stress the 2nd and 4th syllables in syncopation: syn-co-pa-tion you might understand it better.

Sorry it's hard to explain that in writing! Does that make any sense lol?

Sorry that was meant to say "how to use syncopation in compostion" and I fully understand what you mean. Thanks very much:cool::D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

wait a minute. there's a music book???

wait a minute. there's a music book???

I don't think there is. However, there is Rapid Revision whic is very helpful

There's a new music book that will be brought in this september... too late for us lol :P but that rapid revision book is great - especially for the irish essays

I wouldn't use syncopation in the composing paper unless it fits with what's already there.... If it does though the easiest thing to do is use the rhythm: quaver -> dotted crotchet. ta-dah! Syncopation :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 happyhappyhappy

Ehm someone mentioned picking the violin for melody composition

I wouldn't!
    Cos then you've to add bow marks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ehm someone mentioned picking the violin for melody composition

I wouldn't!
    Cos then you've to add bow marks!!

Sorry Happyx3 "phrasing and dynamics" are required... bow marks are not a requirement....check the checklist at the top of Q1

The only reason for not picking the Violin as the instrument is because nearly everyone else is...

A good instrument to pick is the flute but remember you can only go as low as middle C..lower pitch: notes long/slow and quiet..higher pitch notes: fast/short and loud..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

What I do for my modulation is I sometimes repeat the opening phrase in the dominant, especially if it ends on the tonic. It sounds quite good, but would it look really lazy?

Piste wrote: »
    What I do for my modulation is I sometimes repeat the opening phrase in the dominant, especially if it ends on the tonic. It sounds quite good, but would it look really lazy?

Hmm ..depends what you mean by the "opening phrase" as you call it ..The opening phrase would be the 4 bars that are given ..no!!

BAr 7-8 is where most of the students put their modulaton..
    The way I see it..the best way of showing a modulation is a perfect cadence in the new key (hence the new accidental in bar 7..as it's one of the notes from V of the new key) ..
    So bar 7= notes from chord V of new key
    BAr 8 +the tonic of the new key ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

mikeglee wrote: »
    I don't think there is. However, there is Rapid Revision whic is very helpful

do you recommend I get this? was just thinking I need to get a revision book, haven't written notes or anything all year and I've lost all the handouts we got :o

I hate music :)

Well I really hate promoting books for school and especially at this stage in the year. In my opinion, if you feel that you have nothing in the way of notes then you probably should buy this book as it is very helpful. However, and this may sound odd, but a new book at this stage may need a bit of getting used to anf frankly I don't think that you have the time unless you have no more exams until music.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Twinkle-star15

Chord Progressions- Major Key

I
    all
    ii
    V, V7 ONLY
    IV---- all EXCEPT vi
    V---- all EXCEPT ii
    vi---- ii, IV ONLY

Minor Key:

i--- all
    iib--- V, V7 ONLY
    iv--- all EXCEPT VI
    V--- all EXCEPT ii
    VI--- iib, vi ONLY

Final Cadences (use whichever one fits best):

I-V-I
    IV-V-I
    ii-V-I

Hope this helps!

legend.
    Any other advanced techniques, Im interested in using the Flute tbh, how would I go about that tho?

legend.
    Any other advanced techniques, Im interested in using the Flute tbh, how would I go about that tho?

Forgot to say..flute doesn't always come up..Violin does (that could change too!)..
    Flute: you can only go as low as middle C..lower pitch: notes long/slow and quiet..higher pitch notes: fast/short and loud..
    Clarinet: lowest note is E below mid c so if you want to write around there you need to be comfortable with ledger lines.
    Oboe:Bb below mid c

For dynamics....another 'general' rule..
    melody going up=crescendo
    Melody going down= decrescendo
    Put a dynamic at the start of each new phrase to define them...if you write a crscendo/decrescendo..put a dynamic marking at the end of it..

'phrase marks...there should be 4 phrase marks:1 at the end of every phrase... minus 5 marks if you leave them out..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Twinkle-star15 your list of progressions are really good, but there are extra marks for the best progressions.
    So in some cases you can use iii and also vii.
    So you could have ib - viib - i, to get those extras.

I ain't too worried about music, I was delighted with the practical and the examiner even stopped at the end and had a little chat with me about musical careers :P, aiming for an A, and did good enough in the mocks, so just going to listen to my pieces a couple of times, read my essays and think I'll be set! :D

If you get full marks in your practical (which 88% of people do) then you only need to get 80% in your written to get an A1 :D

Advertisement