Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music: The build up and the aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

ok thanks a mill, always confuse the two

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭internetaddict

Reel- double-decker double-decker.(4/4)

Jig- rashers and sausages. (6/8 time)

Sounds silly but its gotten me through six years of this...

Hornpipe is a slow reel.

Slip Jig- rashers and sausages and eggs (9/8)

Ha we learnt black n decker for the reel and rashers and sausages, sausages for the slip jig.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Anybody else just want it over with now?
    Seems like it has always been off in the distance, and I've been off since Friday so it feels like a really long wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

i'd do the exam today if they'd let me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Jade182 wrote: »
    i'd do the exam today if they'd let me!

I would seriously consider not doing it if I hadn't already done the practical :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

aine-maire wrote: »
    I would seriously consider not doing it if I hadn't already done the practical :(

me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Same here... Although I'm only just realising I may need to count music for points, cos i don't think English and Maths went too great... Balls. All that effing Irish music for the essay... I might just leave it out and focus on the set works...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Same here... Although I'm only just realising I may need to count music for points, cos i don't think English and Maths went too great... Balls. All that effing Irish music for the essay... I might just leave it out and focus on the set works...

same here...hoping that i can bluff through the irish music essay bit...

ornamentation...jigs...reels...etc...:o

same here...hoping that i can bluff through the irish music essay bit...

ornamentation...jigs...reels...etc...:o

Yeah... I think you can work Sean O'Riada into every essay as well:pac:

I completely made the essay up on the day in the mock and got a spectacular three marks :D

the essay is only worth 2.5% anyway so you shouldn't be worrying! :D
    I'm just trying to get some examples of songs for Kila and fusion people, but usually the essay is my worst bit :S

• Advertisement

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Yeah... I think you can work Sean O'Riada into every essay as well:pac:

I completely made the essay up on the day in the mock and got a spectacular three marks :D

I also got 3 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭mikeglee

Best O' Luck to everyone tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭-ME-

Do this seem likely enough?: Deane Q1, Berlioz- Un Bal, Fusions as an Irish music essay, major melody and minor harmony?

one of these bound to come up right??

CCE
    Sean O Riada
    Ceile Bands
    The Folk Revival

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I would dance for joy if Sean O Riada appeared on the paper :P It's the only irish essay I know! :D

for the composing paper, if you think the key is minor how do you find out what key it actually is??

haven't learnt an irish essay yet, what should I learn?

haven't learnt an irish essay yet, what should I learn?

learn few things on sean o riada and maybe the folk revival or somethin, its only like 10marks thou so not overly important

just listening to sea changes now and I actually kind of like it :pac: for modulating do you go to the dominant, and which is the dominant?

fe-s is your modulation in bars 7+8

• Advertisement

but which key is the dominant, how far from the tonic.

if it is the dominant you're meant to...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

tazbars wrote: »
    for the composing paper, if you think the key is minor how do you find out what key it actually is??

Figure out what the key would be if it was major, and then go to the 6th note of it's scale (or count back 3). That's the name of your new key. Another way to check is to find the accidental in the piece and go up one semitone from that (eg if there's a g#, go up 1 semitone and you get A, so it's A minor. Or you see the key signature says C major: count up to the 6th note of the scale C D E F G A B)
    for modulating do you go to the dominant, and which is the dominant?

Yes you do. The dominant is the 5th note of the scale. If you're in G major, count up 5 to find the dominant: G A B C D E F# The new key is D Major

never mind I used google :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

If I write an essay on ornamentation, for musical examples do I just write a bar, stick in 5 stave lines and write a note with a note before and after it (for a short roll) and maybe tw of the same note with another note between them (for a cut). I never know what to do when they saiy "specific musical examples" =/

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭aisling.laura

so what did everyone think?

the listening paper was great i thought, the beatles as the main question, couldn't have been better!
    the irish music was pretty straightforward too, the essays were pretty good.

composing was handy too, no evil minor keys or anything to worry about.

overall i'm chuffed :)

if only it was my last exam...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dante

I thought it was a tough paper tbh. Probably the only exam I was disappointed with overall!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Twas all grand! Especially considering I did no study at all :) The listening was grand, except the last part. My essay was pretty class, I just talked about ornamentation on the fiddle. The last listening question was annoying. Fun! :D Now I'm finished forever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭GA361

First Paper was harder than previous years.
    second paper was easier
    . . . They balanced each other out I guess . . .

:D I don'y care. I'M FREE!! :D
    hahaha, don't have to think anymore music until I'm rocking it out at Metallica hahaha.
    And never again . . . until College . . . damn! Why music?! haha

• Advertisement

Listening paper was tough in places (Berlioz and Vivaldi especially) and easy in others (Deane, Mozart, IRISH MUSIC!!!!)... I wrote the most epic essay on Irish songs imaginable (Taimse im' choladh, Preab san Ol, Amhran Na Cuiginne, Mo Ghille Mear, Roisin Dubh, The Wexford Carol... I could go on. ****ing epic:D)

Composing paper was...meh. Melody was ok, harmony was dodgy in places...

But guess what? I DON'T CARE!!!!! I'M FINISHED!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

If you'll excuse me, I have to go burn all my schoolbooks and bloody Irish notes:pac:

Advertisement