Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music: The build up and the aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Double tracking is just recording the singing twice. It's done all the time in modern music. You can usually tell it by syllables not perfectly matching up. It is literally two people singing (but they're both the same person ;))

When I'm Sixty-Four isn't double-tracked, just sped up.

Does anyone have any sweet links to Mozart Movement 3 notes? I've got nothing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭tazbars

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Double tracking is just recording the singing twice. It's done all the time in modern music. You can usually tell it by syllables not perfectly matching up. It is literally two people singing (but they're both the same person ;))

When I'm Sixty-Four isn't double-tracked, just sped up.

Does anyone have any sweet links to Mozart Movement 3 notes? I've got nothing on it.

yea got them mixed up sorry double tracking and echo effects are the recording tenchniques in she's leaving home

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

ok this is gonna sound stupid but i cant remember the name of the other guy who sings with mccartney on shes leaving home so ill jus say this: mccartney and the other...'dude'...sing the song but their voices are double tracked so that it sounds like a quartet singing...

Jade182 wrote: »
    ok this is gonna sound stupid but i cant remember the name of the other guy who sings with mccartney on shes leaving home so ill jus say this: mccartney and the other...'dude'...sing the song but their voices are double tracked so that it sounds like a quartet singing...

lennon sings with him

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

ah thank you :)
    My brain is fried!

• Advertisement

On a slightly-related note, it's Igor Stravinsky's birthday today :) Refer to the 2003 Aural Skills listening question!

i know this is so basic but does anyone have any tips on how to distinguish between jigs and reels? i always get it wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Does instrumentation and rhythm fit under Musical Features?

www.leavingcertmusic.com has some notes on Beatles, not too sure how much I have the book they sell and I knwo some of the notes are in pdf form on the site, also for Mozart me thinks...

tazbars wrote: »
    i know this is so basic but does anyone have any tips on how to distinguish between jigs and reels? i always get it wrong

Reel- double-decker double-decker.(4/4)

Jig- rashers and sausages. (6/8 time)

Sounds silly but its gotten me through six years of this...

Hornpipe is a slow reel.

Slip Jig- rashers and sausages and eggs (9/8)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Mozart 3rd Movement.
    Sonata Rondo Form.
    Exposition -
    1st subject a,b,c - A major - A
    2nd subject a - E minor, b - E major - B
    1st subject a - A major - A

Development
    New Material -
    Theme a - F# minor - C
    Theme b - D major -C

Recapitulation
    1st subject c - A major - A
    2nd subject a - A major - B

Coda
    b
    2nd subject b - D major - B

• Advertisement

Hornpipe is a slow reel.

LOVE THIS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Is it possible to get the answers to music workbook B anywhere??

Also what movement of mozart do ye think will come up? I'm REALLY hoping it's not the 3rd...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I'm finding it really hard to study for this. I've forgotten almost everything for the set works. I should do alright in the composing paper though.

What I'm hoping for:

Deane to be taken off the course....not going to happen but I'm optimistic...
    Marche Au Supplice- Berlioz
    Movement 3, or at a push movement 2 of Mozart
    When I'm 64- Beatles.

Mozart 3rd Movement.
    Sonata Rondo Form.
    Exposition -
    1st subject a,b,c - A major - A
    2nd subject a - E minor, b - E major - B

Development
    New Material -
    Theme a - F# minor - C
    Theme b - D major -C

Recapitulation
    2nd subject a - A major - B

Coda
    b
    2nd subject b - D major - B

Thank you! Have you got any recommendations on what sort of stuff we should know?

Also, for dictation questions, is anyone learning how to write the main themes by heart?

What I'm hoping for:

Deane to be taken off the course....not going to happen but I'm optimistic...

If Seachanges comes up as the 25 mark question... EASY MARKS!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

In the first movement of mozart there is a 'conventional second inversion 6/4 chord heralding the start of the cadenza'.

What's a 6/4 chord? :o

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Thank you! Have you got any recommendations on what sort of stuff we should know?

Also, for dictation questions, is anyone learning how to write the main themes by heart?

No problemo. Well I know the keys of they themes and things, roughly where the cadnces are and what they are. Instrumentation of the themes.
    Things like that, I get allot of information from just listening to the pieces, I'mk listening to the 3rd movement of Mozart as we speak!
    I know who plays counter melodies to the main instruments, and who plays which theme next for the questions that ask what happens next :P

As for the dictation question, I tend to do well from just listening and comparing what's played with what's given on paper before. That way you can get your rhythm almost before you listen to it if you know what theme it is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

so are we ruling out when I'm 64?

I feel like I'm trying to learn too much too late. But there's no way we'll need to go into the kind of detail documented here... Right?

How many marks is the listening paper worth, anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 barahsug

Which years has our course been up?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Hornpipe is a slow reel.

The slip jig be kinda wrong! You only have eight syllables in the line. What I used and still use is:
    Rashers and sausages right away.

And the hornpipe has a different rhythm, it's dotted and smoother than a reel, so I say:
    "Easy Going" Although it's hard to get across the way I say it in words....

listening paper is 100 marks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

barahsug wrote: »
    Which years has our course been up?

'08, '04, '03 and '02...

Ok, I'm doing music outside of school and I've NEVER studied the 3rd movement of Mozart before... It did come up last year so am I safe leaving it out? It just looks SO complicated (all those A's and B's and C's and D's etc), and I want to focus more on things that are likely to come up...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

1fahy4 wrote: »
    '08, '04, '03 and '02...

Ok, I'm doing music outside of school and I've NEVER studied the 3rd movement of Mozart before... It did come up last year so am I safe leaving it out? It just looks SO complicated (all those A's and B's and C's and D's etc), and I want to focus more on things that are likely to come up...

It probably won't come up but there's no guarantee.

... Anyone else think Deane is the easiest set work?... Or is it just me?

1fahy4 wrote: »
    ... Anyone else think Deane is the easiest set work?... Or is it just me?

I'm definitely with you there. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

aine-maire wrote: »
    In the first movement of mozart there is a 'conventional second inversion 6/4 chord heralding the start of the cadenza'.

What's a 6/4 chord? :o

Don't mind that,(I may be a bit rusty, so correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK) it's just a fancy word for a second inversion basically...it comes from the days of figured bass, when a continuo player would have been given intervals to play instead of chords, so a 6/4 is a 6th and a 4th from the root, which gives a second inversion.

whats the diff between melodic features and rhythmic features?

• Advertisement

tazbars wrote: »
    whats the diff between melodic features and rhythmic features?

Well a melodic feature would be something to do with the tune (like chromaticism, sequences, step movement etc...) while a rhythmic feature is something to do with the rhythm (like syncopation, dotted rhythm, changing time signatures etc)...

Advertisement