Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Tax and Insurance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i'm the top hat or i'm not playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

niceonetom wrote: »
    i'm the top hat or i'm not playing.

All yours

tophat.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Disky wrote: »
    How dare you mock my post. I am a GARDA.

I say whats what. I demand respect. I think a new law should be introduced;

the "this person refused to grovel" rule. At least two years in the JOY should result from what I consider a breach.

image001.gif

As long as you avoid cycling near Spars and Centras or any kind of food outlet, you're unlikely to run in to a Guard, so no need to pay the tax.

Cake is ready......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Joking aside, does anyone not think this could be a good idea. Even getting some form of registration going would be a good thing because it would put a reasonably accurate number on how many cyclists there are in the country which could help influence investment in infrastructure etc. The other side is it could help cut down on bike theft if each bike was registered to an owner. One city that I came across has a law that states that if an police office stops you on a bike and you can't prove ownership, the police can confiscate the bike. I think it has helped lower incidence of bike theft. In that case, the registration fee is some trivial, like $10 and it's once off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Disky

Jawgap wrote: »
    Maybe if more people cycled more often there'd be less lifestyle related illnesses - freeing up more bednights and costing the taxpayer a lot less?

Costs about 5 grand and usually zero bednights to treat a broken leg - it costs nearly 30 grand to treat someone who is suffering from coronary heart disease - that's just health costs.

Sarcasm. I am not one of these do gooder types. I watch my back, I'll leave it up to you to watch yours.

As long as you avoid cycling near Spars and Centras or any kind of food outlet, you're unlikely to run in to a Guard, so no need to pay the tax.

Cake is ready......

And don't forget, I get a discount in my local SPAR.

• Advertisement

penexpers wrote: »
    Joking aside, does anyone not think this could be a good idea. Even getting some form of registration going would be a good thing because it would put a reasonably accurate number on how many cyclists there are in the country which could help influence investment in infrastructure etc. The other side is it could help cut down on bike theft if each bike was registered to an owner. One city that I came across has a law that states that if an police office stops you on a bike and you can't prove ownership, the police can confiscate the bike. I think it has helped lower incidence of bike theft. In that case, the registration fee is some trivial, like $10 and it's once off.

:rolleyes:

You always get one. I have a save the whale foundation, would you like to donate?
    One city that I came across has a law that states that if an police office stops you on a bike and you can't prove ownership, the police can confiscate the bike.

That is called stealing.
    In that case, the registration fee is some trivial, like $10 and it's once off.

It's not trivial if you are the person taking all those $10's, is it. Tell you what, you give me €10 and I'll put you and your details on my database.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

8_ugly_people.jpg
    Sarcasm. I am not one of these do gooder types. I watch my back, I'll leave it up to you to watch yours.
    8_ugly_people.jpg
    8_ugly_people.jpg8_ugly_people.jpg
    8_ugly_people.jpg
    8_ugly_people.jpg
    8_ugly_people.jpg
    8_ugly_people.jpg
    8_ugly_people.jpg
    8_ugly_people.jpg
    8_ugly_people.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Nothing like getting 2 breakfast rolls, a twix, a Mars bar, two tea and a "package" of Tayto for a couple of Euros!!!:)

I also hear that the "discount card" they give you when you're attested works in Chineses, fish and chip shops, pizza bars, burger joints and the various toll bridges:)

As yer man in Finglas says "No "K" you pay!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Argh my eyes. That is one of the sickest pictures I've seen in a long time!

unionman

^^^

ok that's just scary

• Advertisement

Nothing like getting 2 breakfast rolls, a twix, a Mars bar, two tea and a "package" of Tayto for a couple of Euros!!!:)

I also hear that the "discount card" they give you when you're attested works in Chineses, fish and chip shops, pizza bars, burger joints and the various toll bridges:)

As yer man in Finglas says "No "K" you pay!!!"

We get discounts everywhere. Sure, we are the protectors of society, we keep the people in their place where they belong.

AWe are worth every penny we get. I love the power that comes with being a garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Maybe if more people cycled more often there'd be less lifestyle related illnesses - freeing up more bednights and costing the taxpayer a lot less?
    In the Independent today
    Launching the report on the state of the nation's health, health chiefs warned yesterday that obesity -- like in most other countries -- had the potential to "swamp" the health service unless tackled in the next 10 to 15 years.
    "The growth in obesity and diabetes is on the increase and in the next few years the challenge is to get that to level out," Dr Patrick Doorley, Health Service Executive national director of population health said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

@ niceonetom and Caroline.Did yis find yer back from Lusk ok last Sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

?ui=2&ik=d86cc81523&view=att&th=12174430ecc8ccaf&attid=0.3&disp=thd&zw
    ?ui=2&ik=d86cc81523&view=att&th=12174430ecc8ccaf&attid=0.4&disp=thd&zw
    ?ui=2&ik=d86cc81523&view=att&th=12174430ecc8ccaf&attid=0.2&disp=thd&zw

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake!

In the Independent today

Little Caroline, don't believe everything you read. Maybe we should all be forced to do 40 star jumps at work every morning, sure they do that in China. Are you saying there is something wrong with China???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

facepalm.jpg

bcmf wrote: »

ah yeah - no problems at all.

edit :
    have you decided what you're doing on sunday?

bcmf wrote: »

We did thanks :) Straight down the road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Maybe we should all be forced to do 40 star jumps at work every morning, sure they do that in China.

284583.full.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

thats good.people have been known to take a wrong turn round those parts never to be seen again with the Banjo's in full flow.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    284583.full.gif

Yer man is on the ball with that cartoon alright.

How dare you mock my post. I am a GARDA.

I say whats what. I demand respect. I think a new law should be introduced;

the "this person refused to grovel" rule. At least two years in the JOY should result from what I consider a breach.

Yeah and pigs can fly.

Oops sorry you can

gasuheli.jpg

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    Yeah and pigs can fly.

Oops sorry you can

gasuheli.jpg

Again, don't mock me. I am a member of the Gardai, I could have you locked up any time I want.

cartoon36.gif

Again, don't mock me. I am a member of the Gardai, I could have you locked up any time I want.

Hahaha
    better get upgraded to detective soon, sherlock, you're gonna be busy!

Funny how in this forum you're one of 'them' that you refer to over there.

kenmc wrote: »
    Hahaha
    better get upgraded to detective soon, sherlock, you're gonna be busy!

Now think about that. If someone started a thread saying. "alright, geeks. Tell me how to hack WIFi." How long would that last?? Better playing dumb and letting the lads tell me the story.

I'm just a humble street bobby at the minute. I like mixing with the peasants, I can walk all over them.

kenmc wrote: »
    Funny how in this forum you're one of 'them' that you refer to over there.

Pigs these days get trained in covert operations.

412_06.07.03.garda.bikes.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

hahahaha, this guy is no more a guard than the man on the moon. This really is troll-tastic stuff.

Advertisement