Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Tax and Insurance

Options
  • 05-06-2009 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

How long before tax and insurance is required for riding a bicycle??

I get the impresson that most posters here would welcome such a development, a lot of people on high horses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Disky wrote: »

I get the impresson that most posters here would welcome such a development, a lot of people on high horses.

Do you mean on high bicycles ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

like this?

162388357_1e253f8f85.jpg

Hard to stop on one of these so it's best just to ignore red lights.

Neigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I have insurance on my bike. 3rd party.
    I have a car so I pay motor tax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Oh look, it's Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Disky

Dónal wrote: »
    Neigh.

You think not? I will wager you €50 that a tax will be brought in within the next 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

They already exist, however they are directly linked to and reduced in accordance with emissions and carbon footprints, the consequence of which is you owe us €15,000,000,000.

We take, cash and or credit card, now how would you like to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

You think not? I will wager you €50 that a tax will be brought in within the next 5 years.

If you mean something comparable to motor tax, I'll take that wager, no problem at all

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I get the impresson that most posters here would welcome such a development...

And how did you form that impression?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Anyone for cake?

el tonto wrote: »
    And how did you form that impression?

Well, I read through a thread on some fella getting a summons for breaking a traffic light. Most people seemed to think that the death penalty was an option...... Applying that worldview to this situation I then drew my conclusion highlighted aove.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Anyone for cake?

Is it carrot cake? :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Well, I read through a thread on some fella getting a summons for breaking a traffic light. Most people seemed to think that the death penalty was an option...... Applying that worldview to this situation I then drew my conclusion highlighted aove.

Your logic is flawless. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

hmmm.jpg

I took this photo in halfords yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

It lacks a focal point, the leading lines are all wrong, it's cluttered, noisy and the reflectors are too bright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Firstly, there is a tax on bikes. It's called VAT. We all pay it.
    Any other tax on bikes is unworkable unless its a form of license (a la tv license). How is my 4 1/2 yr old daughter going to pay a tax on her little pink fixie.

Anyone for cake?

Now to bring it back on topic, yes. I (as always) am for cake. Particularly choccie fudge, lemon drizzle or that choc & bananna thing that they have in the cafe in Laragh. I may even take a detour on the WW200 to laragh for that cake. I mean it will probably be the only day of the year where you dont have to queue in the cafe, as the rest of the cyclists will be 15km down the road in Rathdrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

3008179241_937e1f545e_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

There's a fly buzzing around my office.

Is there any cake left?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Profiler wrote: »
    Is it carrot cake? :)

There is a Cafe in Laragh (dont know the name) that do excellent carrot cake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Anyone for cake?

I'd offer to bring the Coke along, but anyone doing the WW200 is prohibited from having fizzy drinks:)

Instead of a tax why not just put toll booths in around the city - or better still make number plates for bicyles compulsory - that way people can be charged when they jump red lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

drinking%20bird.jpg

Not really relevant. Just wanted to post it.

ROK ON wrote: »
    Any other tax on bikes is unworkable unless its a form of license (a la tv license) .

So you think a licence should be introduced?? Maybe they could appeal to the snobs by including how many hours of Eurosport you watch every summer, or even the amount you have splashed on some carbon frame to save 500 grams, vital when you are hauling 17st up some hill.

Lets face it, there are people who ride a bicycle and then there are CYCLISTS. Lets get that straight, I basically think all non CYCLISTS should be put off the road.
    ROK ON wrote: »
    How is my 4 1/2 yr old daughter going to pay a tax on her little pink fixie.

Arrest Daddy?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Think its going to rain tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

thegoodiesthen_wideweb__430x253.jpg

Raam wrote: »
    drinking%20bird.jpg

Not really relevant. Just wanted to post it.

Holy shít my grandparents used to have 2 of them on the mantlepiece. Brings back memories of childhood. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Lets face it, there are people who ride a bicycle and then there are CYCLISTS. Lets get that straight, I basically think all non CYCLISTS should be put off the road.

3008179241_937e1f545e_o.jpg

So you think a licence should be introduced?? Maybe they could appeal to the snobs by including how many hours of Eurosport you watch every summer, or even the amount you have splashed on some carbon frame to save 500 grams, vital when you are hauling 17st up some hill.
    Will you feel better if we all agree with you, or are you just looking for an argument?

• Advertisement

World's longest sausage:

croatiasausageframe.jpg

Advertisement