Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should cyclists pay Road Tax & Insurance?

Options
  • 16-12-2008 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

How often have you been driving along in your car, only to be forced into slowing down for a cyclist or worse two cyclists, who are hogging the road? Cyclists pay no road tax or insurance yet they on occasion act as if they own the highway. Cyclist should have a licence to be on the roads & have passed a test to prove they have the necessary road knowledge & can cycle safely. If a cyclist is insufficiently lit or breaking road traffic rules it should be possible to hand down a fine.

My pet hates when it comes to cyclists are:

Insufficient lighting on a bike, especially in the winter months. As a motorist you are obliged to have all lights working, if you are a cyclist you can cycle with none
    Lack of reflective clothing – if a motorist hits a cyclist it is their fault, even if the motorist cannot see them
    Lack of signalling when turning – cars indicate so why can’t cyclists.
    Cyclists coming up on the inside of a car which is indicating to turn left.
    Cyclists breaking red lights
    Cyclists cycling too far out from the footpath & impeding traffic flow
    Cyclists refusing to slow down when the cycle lane runs through a bus stop
    Cyclists wearing headphones
    Cyclists generally paying no heed to what is around them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

... meh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Why should cyclists be alone in paying road tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Wow, this thread screams "ban me!"

Seriously, you just got chopped in the last thread you replied to here for making an ill-informed comment about how exactly traffic works in this country and now you are making a deliberately troll-tastic thread about how much you hate cycling on the cycling forum.

I do believe cyclists can and do get fined for breaking road laws btw, I don't know where you get some of your info. I agree with the lighting mind, seen a fair few ninja cyclists recently. But why come on here? Surely if you read a few threads here you would see how much we talk about lighting, safety, etc.

Someone point this man to the wiki!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

did u fall off your bike as a child?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

kenmc wrote: »
    Why should cyclists be alone in paying road tax?

What do you mean Kenmc? Cars, motorbikes, trucks, buses, coaches etc all pay tax to put a vehicle on the road. Cyclists do not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Is this the start of our sticky on getting all the ill-informed questions in one thread?

What do you mean Kenmc? Cars, motorbikes, trucks, buses, coaches etc all pay tax to put a vehicle on the road.
    No they don't. Use the internet to find out why.
    Homework.
    Cyclists do not
    Yes they do. Second part of the homework.

nuxxx wrote: »
    did u fall off your bike as a child?

Ah no... I cycle on the roads & use cycle lanes. Drives bad habits irk me as much as cyclists bad habits do when I am driving. I am a responsible cyclist & it really bothers me that there are other out there who have complete disgregard for road users & the rules of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

And yet... the 350-400 deaths a year on Irish roads are caused by motorists, not cyclists. I reckon the motorists should have to pay a death on the roads tax as well as a motor tax, in addition to extra killing the planet taxes, destroying the quality of life in urban areas tax, and general stupidity tax (as demonstrated by the nth post above on the exact same topic posted by other trolling idiots who wander in here thinking they've got something new and important to say).

Species. Disgusting. Etc.

Maybe we could just scoop this post up and dump it in another similar one, rather than the lock proposal. Mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Have you ever tried to renew your 'Road tax' on www.roadtax.ie ...? MMMMmm give it a try ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

yes and base it on car system,

carbon emmissions = 0 so no tax:p

id pay the insurance just for the theft though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

What do you mean Kenmc? Cars, motorbikes, trucks, buses, coaches etc all pay tax to put a vehicle on the road. Cyclists do not

Can I be the 1000th person on boards to point out that NOBODY in Ireland pays road tax, however some persons in this country pay motortax. As someone pointed out yesterday motortax is currently based on emmisions, I have no problem with a similar emmisions tax on bikes!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think your Joe Duffy style rant could do with a bit of fact and not just your "pet hates".

"Cyclists generally paying no heed to what is around them"

Yeah, I love doing this. Nothing gives me more of a thrill every morning than cycling with my eyes closed, hands over my hears shouting "lalalalala" Seriously, I have a system: I just keep pedalling like this "pedal-pedal-pedal" and if a car gets in my way its their own fault. I have no regard for my own safety and I cycle only as a way to antagonise the rightful masters of the "highway"; motorists like you.

Any other wild generalisations you want to swing about in here? Cyclists sell drugs to school children? Cyclists are one day going to rise up and overthrow the oil companies? A cyclist was seen on the grassy knoll that day?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

:) Your post deomonstrates your ignorance.

Only going to address one point

This is for our safetly. Motorists are by and large poorly trained, inattentive, have poor observation skills and no idea of the damage a car can do. By cycling "too far out from the footpath" cyclists can reduce the probability of a motorist hitting them "because they didn't see them". Most times a motorist "didn't see" a cyclist its because they didn't look.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Wow, this thread screams "ban me!"

Why??
    Surely if you read a few threads here you would see how much we talk about lighting, safety, etc.
    Someone point this man to the wiki!

I have seen this but we the number of dark shadows I pass on my way to work very few cyclists seem to take notice. If they had insurance premius to worry about & faced higher payments if accidents happen it might make a difference

Ah no... I cycle on the roads & use cycle lanes. Drives bad habits irk me as much as cyclists bad habits do when I am driving. I am a responsible cyclist & it really bothers me that there are other out there who have complete disgregard for road users & the rules of the road

I dont believe you.

Please mods, time to start that sticky or editing such threads into one - these threads started again and again are the exact same, for the same reasons - our board space for exchanging actual information about cycling and bikes is being crowded out by mouthy motoring morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Karma

muppet check, oh yes, Tomcollins from the motors forum...

i have a car and pay MOTOR TAX not road tax, my cars upkeep in tax and insurance is more than anyone of my bikes cost.
    back to the motors forum with you.
    idiot...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Stark

How often have you been driving along in your car, only to be forced into slowing down for a cyclist or worse two cyclists, who are hogging the road?

If you get upset over being forced to slow down when driving through a city, you shouldn't be driving imo. Why don't you go start a thread about how traffic lights and schoolchildren should have to pay "road tax".

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Halfrauds

How often have you been driving along in your car, only to be forced into slowing down for a cyclist or worse two cyclists, who are hogging the road? Cyclists pay no road tax or insurance yet they on occasion act as if they own the highway. Cyclist should have a licence to be on the roads & have passed a test to prove they have the necessary road knowledge & can cycle safely. If a cyclist is insufficiently lit or breaking road traffic rules it should be possible to hand down a fine.

Insufficient lighting on a bike, especially in the winter months. As a motorist you are obliged to have all lights working, if you are a cyclist you can cycle with none
    Lack of reflective clothing – if a motorist hits a cyclist it is their fault, even if the motorist cannot see them

cyclists should do a test , you are right that most are total GOB****ES, unaware of their dumbness.

bikes should also have to have a nct type test, and the standard which is the bristish standard BS, should be extended to components not frames, that will get rid of the supermarket thrash thats wrecking the cyclists who are dserious, its wrecking their credibility as road users.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Wait... shouldnt this be in Sex and Sexuality?

Why are we discussing turning you on anyway?

• Advertisement

Basta. Lock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

How often have you been driving along in your car, only to be forced into slowing down for a cyclist or worse two cyclists, who are hogging the road? Cyclists turn me on or insurance yet they on occasion act as if they own the highway. Cyclist should have a licence to be on the roads & have passed a test to prove they have the necessary road knowledge & can cycle safely.

I've never been forced to slow down a cyclist when out driving. Not once in my entire life. Oh wait, that's because I don't drive :)

Cyclists are allowed cycle two abreast if it's safe to do so, and they have as much right on the highway as you do. It would appear by complaining in such a manner as to suggest they don't have the same rights as a motorist that you might not have the necessary road knowledge you seem to think is important.

Can I ask if you are a cyclist?
    If a cyclist is insufficiently lit or breaking road traffic rules it should be possible to hand down a fine.

It is possible, and indeed is against the law to break road traffic rules or be insufficiently lit, it's the guards you should moan at about that. Oh, and while you're at it, tell them to fine cars that break red lights or drive dangerously, or people that jay walk (yes, it's an offense), or any of the myriad other offenses that are ignored on a daily basis but our keepers of the police. It's not our fault they don't enforce the law

A fair list of pet hates. Can I have one too? How about:

Cars that break red lights in order to turn right (as cyclists are usually first away when the lights go green, they can be put in danger)
    Cars that pull left without looking into the cycle lane, cutting up, or knocking off cyclists
    Cars that over take cyclists, then immediately cut in front of you and turn left
    Cars that pull out in front of you as they aren't looking
    Drivers on mobile phones who don't look where they're going
    SUV Drivers (Don't have anything against them, just don't like their cars)

I know I've pointed out a few things there that's illegal, but if you can, I can.

-in a mood to feed trolls today :)

Halfrauds wrote: »
    yes and base it on car system,

carbon emmissions = 0 so no tax:p

id pay the insurance just for the theft though:)

Good point!

I have seen this but we the number of dark shadows I pass on my way to work very few cyclists seem to take notice. If they had insurance premius to worry about & faced higher payments if accidents happen it might make a difference
    Well why the fuk don't you ask them instead of us then, since you know that the people here are safety conscious and well lit?

Or since you're tarring all cyclists with the same brush, why don't you ask yourself that question since you're also a cyclist and by default must also be tarred with that same brush.

kenmc wrote: »
    Why should cyclists be alone in turning me on?

Fixed -man, this rule takes a lot of time to enforce

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Cyclists pay no road tax or insurance yet they on occasion act as if they own the highway.

3036250950_a1cfd1947b.jpg?v=0

Karma wrote: »
    muppet check, oh yes, Tomcollins from the motors forum...

i have a car and pay MOTOR TAX not road tax, my cars upkeep in tax and insurance is more than anyone of my bikes cost.
    back to the motors forum with you.
    idiot...

Why the personal attack Karma? Can you not discuss items in a civilised manner?

Have you ever tried to renew your turning me on on www.roadtax.ie ...? MMMMmm give it a try ...

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I do believe cyclists can and do get fined for breaking road laws btw,

Yes they do frequently and rightly so if they transgress.OP this thread is a nonsense and a deliberate troll

• Advertisement

High&Low wrote: »
    Can I be the 1000th person on boards to point out that NOBODY in Ireland turns me on, however some persons in this country pay motortax. As someone pointed out yesterday motortax is currently based on emmisions, I have no problem with a similar emmisions tax on bikes!!!!

I think it's a winner :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement