Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SLANE 2009 Oasis - All Discussion - No ticket sales.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

Genuinely not trying to cause a row but really people should think long and hard about going to these gigs if they think it is not for them. This nonsense that "this only happens in Ireland" is very annoying having been to gigs all over the world.

Gigs are loud. People / drink and do drugs and some get arrested and some don't. People run around and fall over, people shout and fight.

Putting the population of a small village in one place causes queues. This is akin to buying stuff at Xmas. There are so many people there that nobody can guarantee you protection and yes at the end there is a long haul to get home as everyone is trying to do so at the same time.

Seriously think about this rather than ****ing bitching and no doubt the radio will be full of this ****e tomorrow.

I was there and whilst it was hard work I enjoyed it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sparkydee

Seriously the only aspect i am annoyed with is the fiasco with dublin bus and i'm entitled no one should have to walk 6km plus after a gig. It was horrendous for everyone, we were all tired.
    It certainly isn't something i'd risk again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Freckleina

Well I thought it was an absolute disaster.
    Literally all I did was spend the whole day queuing at that gig. Ive never experienced anything like before and Ive been to Slane and the other festivals plenty of times. Missed all of Kasabian cause queuing for beer and missed the whole Prodigy set cause queuing for beer. I heard they shut down the bar at the top of the hill due to an underage drinker getting caught buying beer. So 80000 using one bar!!?? Joke. Didnt pay 100 quid for that.

Then walked 3 hours before I eventually got on a bus.
    It defo was the bus company's fault to an extent - they didnt have enough buses present to deal with the crowd. Thats the bottom line. After id walked 2 hours we heard 50 more buses were eventually making their way from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Gunn4r wrote: »
    Genuinely not trying to cause a row but really people should think long and hard about going to these gigs if they think it is not for them. This nonsense that "this only happens in Ireland" is very annoying having been to gigs all over the world.

Gigs are loud. People / drink and do drugs and some get arrested and some don't. People run around and fall over, people shout and fight.

Putting the population of a small village in one place causes queues. This is akin to buying stuff at Xmas. There are so many people there that nobody can guarantee you protection and yes at the end there is a long haul to get home as everyone is trying to do so at the same time.

Seriously think about this rather than ****ing bitching and no doubt the radio will be full of this ****e tomorrow.

I was there and whilst it was hard work I enjoyed it a lot.
    It will definitely be on the radio tomorrow.
    It was the first thing the taxi driver said to us last night on the way home. He had picked up a few people on their way home from Slane and they had the same 2 and a half hour walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

are talking nonsense, the fact you put FACT beside something doesnt make it so. Try go to more gigs and you will see you are talking bollocks, this link will educate you FACT

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23401873-details/Thousands+struggle+to+exit+the+Glastonbury+mudbath/article.do

• Advertisement

sparkydee wrote: »
    Seriously the only aspect i am annoyed with is the fiasco and i'm entitled no one should have to walk 6km plus after a gig. It was horrendous for everyone, we were all tired.
    It certainly isn't something i'd risk again.

but you walked so surely it was easy to see that there is no way of getting the buses closer to the village without SERIOUSLY inconveniencing the residents. The whole thing about slane is that is it set in a valley in the middle of the country - it is not a high tech stadium like croke park. And it accommodates the same number of people.

The gig was over at 10.50 - I didn't get home to shankill til 4am. But feck it. It's an experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 yrossiter

First time and last time in Slane, i expect the usual queues etc but last night was ridiculous. Same story as many, left straight after gig, got on bus at 11.45, didnt move til 2.30 and passed loads of people still stranded. Counted 22 people sitting on floor on bottom deck and stairs. Health and Safety went out the window! Dublin Bus an absolute joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BoggledOut

I'm from slane and it took about an hour and a half to get back to my house and its really not that far from the castle.
    I don't think it was really the distance it was the fact the people were walking so god damn slow.
    Theres no point moaning about it, if you had any cop on you would have just enjoyed the crowd and talked to people, I'm sure it would have passed the time.
    I was talking to people heading up the north and everyone said the same thing...The concert was epic, something I would totally agree on.
    People...you should just embrace that experience, I'm sure most of you would regret it a whole lot more if you hadn't have went.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Freckleina wrote: »
    Literally all I did was spend the whole day queuing at that gig. Ive never experienced anything like before and Ive been to Slane and the other festivals plenty of times. Missed all of Kasabian cause queuing for beer and missed the whole Prodigy set cause queuing for beer. I heard they shut down the bar at the top of the hill due to an underage drinker getting caught buying beer. So 80000 using one bar!!?? Joke. Didnt pay 100 quid for that.

Then walked 3 hours before I eventually got on a bus.
    It defo was the bus company's fault to an extent - they didnt have enough buses present to deal with the crowd. Thats the bottom line. After id walked 2 hours we heard 50 more buses were eventually making their way from Dublin.

Not bein a smart ass but by the look of the queue it was obviously going to take ages so why not forget the beer and enjoy the gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Kazooie wrote: »
    Not bein a smart ass but by the look of the queue it was obviously going to take ages so why not forget the beer and enjoy the gig?

Indeed.

Typical that at a gig where you're meant to go and appreciate the music everyone gets too hung up on not being able to get their hands on an overpriced, watered down cup of beer.

If you went there just to get pissed then you deserve to be stuck in a queue til all hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Who's fault is that?

:confused:

No - you're right - you didn't pay 100 quid to queue for beer. You paid it to see some great bands. And you chose to queue twice for clearly an hour each time (you say you missed all of Kasabian and Prodigy) I couldn't have been arsed queuing for beer and missing the bands that I paid 100 hard earned euros to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭BangBeater

Saw Kasabian/Prodigy/Oasis... thought they were all solid... just wish Oasis might change their set list around just a little for each venue on the tour to surprise! Also, Liam's interaction with crowd was ****e. He's way better when he'd pissed on stage! :D

In relation with the organisation, agree with everything said... and my question is this... How was their traffic jam for a few kilometres on a STRAIGHT ROAD?!! We walked for an age passing by buses & cars not moving an inch. Eventually got to the end to see a bunch of people sitting in front of a bus 'protesting' at something. Guard there tells us they were holding up all the buses?! Anyone have any reason? :confused:

True. But I wasnt there to get pissed. I wanted a beer while I could sit back and enjoy the music, but didnt get the opportunity to do that. I know there will always be queues but this was beyond normal queuing at a gig. 80000 were using the one bar. It was just really badly organised. But then thats MCD for you...
    And im not moaning just for the sake of it. When you spend that much for a gig you're entitled to get something back for it.

6 euro they were. 15 to park in a carpark (a field). 10 for a snackbox (1 measily bit of chicken). My hole is quite sore from the rapin dished out at Slane yesterday. That would be my gripe. But sure aren't we used to this rip off society though, nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭D3UC3 J3

yrossiter wrote: »
    First time and last time in Slane... Dublin Bus an absolute joke.

+1. Never going there again.

Oasis were great, but the lines for a beer and then the 6km i walked to get on a Bus afterwards put me off for life.

Whether it was Dublin Bus or the Gardai that caused the "Complete F#@K UP".

Surely with all of the land Mount Charles has they could have parked the buses in a big field and sent them on their way as they filled up?

Instead chaos! The last Gardai and Stewards i saw were on the bridge in slane. Not another for 6km out. Anything could have happened and i wouldn't be surprised if there were accidents as there were cars and buses parked everywhere and people filling the roads.

I was lucky that we were let onto an empty dublin bus coming back into slane...going the wrong way until the bus driver got pissed off and did a u turn in the road.

Never again. Waste of time.

Oasis get a better venue next time, you were awesome!

True. But I wasnt there to get pissed. I wanted a beer while I could sit back and enjoy the music, but didnt get the opportunity to do that. I know there will always be queues but this was beyond normal queuing at a gig. 80000 were using the one bar. It was just really badly organised. But then thats MCD for you...
    And im not moaning just for the sake of it. When you spend that much for a gig you're entitled to get something back for it.

I hear ya. I did my drinkin early on in the day cause I had a feelin the queue would become unbearable. Just looking at the queue from 5 onwards it was obvious to a blind man you'd be up to an hour waiting. You had choice of a beer or watching the band. You chose the beer twice you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I haven't gone there since Guns and Roses back in the day, too many people in a small town, it can't possibly cope any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

are talking nonsense, the fact you put FACT beside something doesnt make it so. Try go to more gigs and you will see you are talking bollocks, this link will educate you FACT

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23401873-details/Thousands+struggle+to+exit+the+Glastonbury+mudbath/article.do

you cant compare an unlucky freak of nature with a badly organised gig in all fairness. ive been to glasto and its one of the best organised festivals ive ever been to.

slane is not alone in this aswell, ive been to plenty of other gigs in ireland that have been really badly organised. malahide castle is also a nightmare to get out of but after the arctic monkeys played there it go a lot better because they learned from there mistakes. no problem getting in or queuing for drinks.

im not mad for the queuing to be honest so it pretty much ruined it for me before i finally got into the gig. a lot of people basically paid to stand in queues enjoy a couple of hours of music and then stand in queues again.

Kazooie wrote: »
    I hear ya. I did my drinkin early on in the day cause I had a feelin the queue would become unbearable. Just looking at the queue from 5 onwards it was obvious to a blind man you'd be up to an hour waiting. You had choice of a beer or watching the band. You chose the beer twice you say.

Well maybe thats where I went wrong. Had feck all to drink before I got inside. Probably should've just got pissed before hand but thats hindsight for you....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

Had great day,kasabian were brilliant and oasis were way better than thought they would be. We were all in great spirits leaving the gig.

When we got to a crossroads there was 3 signs saying Northern ireland to left,drogheda straight on and dublin to right. Guard told us to go straight for buses to drogheda.

After about an hour and bit walking we came to dolly mitchells pub,still no sign of buses. Plenty of people walking around freaking out and on their own after losing their friends. People lying all over the road in ditches crying and wondering how they were gonna get home.

We eventually got taxi from dolly mitchells at 2.30am as we didnt want to risk the 5 mile walk to drogheda on pitch dark roads.

Eventually got home to balbriggan at 3am and put a real dampener on the night.

Friends that got dublin bus to city centre got on bus @ 11.50 and got into town at 3.20. Crazy stuff.

I dont buy it when people are saying "relax its a gig,slane is always going to be like that due to fact its in middle of nowhere". If thats the case slane should not be allowed go ahead anymore as its a disaster waiting to happen.

Know I wont go back again unless something serious changed.

I didn't bother with the beer. Enjoyed the gig but seriously that walk was a killer and yeah for the first bit we were ok but when you're wrecked the last thing you want to do is keep walking. We had to walk to kilmoon cross because the buses couldn't get in as the traffic was so bad. Seriously. We got on a bus that had come from navan they said 60 more were coming and there were only 5.. People are entitled to complain if they pay for a bus and are left stranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Bobon wrote: »
    In fairness, considering you've been to Slane 4 times, you should have known it would take an hour to get in. You should have just turned up early. School-boy error on your part.

Yeah I knew that but its the walk from the castle gates into the gig itself. That took bloody ages as I could hear club foot playing in the background. Should have more than one entrance to the gig

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

I came up from Kilkenny with the bus company JJ Kavanagh, Absolutly horrible set up , after the concert he parked the very last bus on the main road and me and my freind had to WALK what FELT LIKE 10 MILES from the venue only to sit on a wall of a house and go "FCK SAKE" , and then we looked at the very last bus and it was the number "12"one we were looking for and i still couldnt believe it. The organisation of the place was absolutly horrible and 4 of my freinds were left BEHIND by the bus driver who only waited 1 hour FOR US TO WALK THAT FAR! , they had to take a bus into dublin city centre and stayed at a garda barracks thankgod and took a bus home this mornin and the only reason i made it to the bus was because we left while dont look back in anger was playing.

In relation to the concert THE PRODIGY were amazing, i was in the pit for the whole thing and i saw they were recording it aswell, i was screwed by the time oasis came on so i couldnt apreiciate them but prodigy stole the show in my opinion. SO many scumbags aroun the place but sure what to expect at a concert like this :)

By the way, I'm not dissagreaing with you. You shouldn't have to wait that long for a beer especially considerin the price of it and the ticket in. They'd want to improve the facilities there for sure. Lots of people put off Slane yesterday by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Juha

Glastonbury is not on mainland Europe.
    Honestly, this festival had one of the worst organization and arrangements I've ever seen. It felt like there were way too many people on the castle grouds, it did not feel safe at all. Then again, this has happened elsewhere as well, Roskilde (Denmark) 2000 with 9 deaths being an extreme example of that. It did feel yesterday that something could have gone as seriously wrong in Slane too. Drunken people walking on narrow road sides while busses passing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Got there at 4 pm with no traffic, found the car park immediately, enjoyed a great show, got back to the car park and drove back to Dublin immediately after the show with no traffic....everything went so smoothly! I feel for the guys waiting for a bus though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The "I got stranded with 80,000 people in the middle of nowhere" thread :p. That's a lot of buses and that's always been part of Slane. The last time I was there, for U2, I also had to walk 2.5 miles to get to a car park. Not hanging around for the last note of the last encore meant I got out of there sharpish. Stories of people not getting out of there till 4 in the morning have been around almost as long as Slane has run.

but you walked so surely it was easy to see that there is no way of getting the buses closer to the village without SERIOUSLY inconveniencing the residents. The whole thing about slane is that is it set in a valley in the middle of the country - it is not a high tech stadium like croke park. And it accommodates the same number of people.

The gig was over at 10.50 - I didn't get home to shankill til 4am. But feck it. It's an experience.

I know it is but if buses can drop us off at a reasonable distance on the way in why can't the organise it to be the same on the way out. And yes i would imagine the residents of slane are inconvenienced but as you said that goes with the logistics of getting 80,000 people out. I enjoyed the gig as i said but that was a terrible walk. People behind us didn't get on the bus at kilmoon and there didn't seem to be anymore. We got home at 3 coz our legend of a bus driver did a u turn:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Went to Slane the year Bryan Adams and Moby played due to free tickets, getting in was a disaster...I remember endless walking down some country rd just to get there, the gig was good enough but when Bryan Adams came on I made a bolt for the back of the crowd so I was leading the pack and onto one of the first busses and I still wasnt home till 3 or 4.

It's a shambles of a venue, what is so special about the place I'll never know, give me the flat fields of Kildare anyday ;)

I have to totally agree there went to that gig as well i was pregnant as well hated the venue but loved moby and bryan adams i drove up so did not have to depend on a bus ! Slane is the most over rated venue ever and i will never go back to it even if My fav band of all time ever get back together Pink Floyd ever thought of playing there!never again!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement